Tell me about teething. . . - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-03-2003, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, after months of excessive drool like I never imagined, one of my 4.5-month-old babies finally has the tip of a tooth poking through his gum. It is on the top, which surprised me because I thought babies always got bottom teeth first (??). Luke (tooth boy) has been really clingy, wanting to nurse a lot, not sleeping well, fussier than usual, and has a runny nose. I am wondering if this could all be due to the tooth, or if maybe he has a cold?

What other symptoms are associated with teething?

Thanks!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#2 of 4 Old 07-03-2003, 11:16 PM

All of the symptoms you noted, also slight fever or even vomiting/spitting up more profusely in my experience. Sometimes babies get little cold sores too, maybe caused by the excessive drool.
#3 of 4 Old 07-04-2003, 03:06 AM

just wanted to add that sometimes their poops get more acidy and they get a yucky diaper rash. abby got her first 4 with just fussiness and clinginess at 10 months. but, she is getting in some more and has been pooping a yucky green poop way more often than her normal once a day poop. it was eating her skin away no matter what i did, but is much better now.

abby definitely nursed more and woke up more at night to nurse more than she had been. right now, she is really fussy and bites on everything.

good luck with teething! i can't imagine doing everything in double!
#4 of 4 Old 07-08-2003, 01:42 AM

Darcy has sprouted her first little tooth this week. Boy, is it sharp. Anyway, I have noticed similar symptoms...a lot of drooling, and increased fussiness in the late afternoon/early evening...to the point where I am having to give them Tylenol and take them for walks almost every evening, no matter how tired I am. Cold teething toys help slightly, but they can't seem to hold them in their mouths, and I get real tired of sitting there doing it for them for hours on end. Plus a lot of the teething things are just plain too big for their mouths. I do, however, recommend this thing, even though it is kind of big: http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp...756&change=117
It keeps cold MUCH longer than most other gadgets that you can only stick in the fridge.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page