Can I give my baby herbal tea? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-17-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I almost always have a pitcher of red raspberry leaf and nettle tea (those are the only ingredients) in the fridge. Sometimes my baby sees me drinking a glass of it and wants some. Is there any reason I shouldn't let him have a few sips? He is eating pretty much everything and drinks water with every solid food meal.

Happily married for 9 years. 7 year old son, 5 year old daughter, 3 year old daughter. jumpers.gif
#2 of 10 Old 07-17-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMakingMemories View Post
I almost always have a pitcher of red raspberry leaf and nettle tea (those are the only ingredients) in the fridge. Sometimes my baby sees me drinking a glass of it and wants some. Is there any reason I shouldn't let him have a few sips? He is eating pretty much everything and drinks water with every solid food meal.
I don't know about the raspberry or nettle tea, but I have given my LO "tummy comfort" tea which has mint and camomile as per my ped. recommendation. I also have given him "mother's milk" tea which I believe has a little raspberry leaf (I'd check, but I'm all out ) just a tiny bit though, as in 6-10 drops is plenty. I just re-read your post, it sounds like your LO is a bit older. I used the small amount when my LO was 2-3 months. He is now (almost) 6 mo. I will let him have a "full" sip or two. He loves it and it is a fun way for him to explore how to use a sippy cup.
#3 of 10 Old 07-17-2007, 09:54 PM

RR leaf is pretty astringent. I wouldn't give that to a lo. Nettle is probably fine. Try chamomile, mint, catnip, oatstraw, alfalfa, lemonbalm...that sort of thing.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#4 of 10 Old 07-18-2007, 01:39 AM

My son LOVES peppermint and chamomile teas. So much better than juice when they want something different!
#5 of 10 Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 PM

Try rooibos tea as well. Naturally caffeine free, good for the tummy and even has some calcium and other minerals in it!
#6 of 10 Old 07-18-2007, 09:43 PM

:

Chamomile tea would be okay to give to a 6.5mo??? I just want to make sure I got this right b/c I would love to give her a little.
#7 of 10 Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subliime View Post
:

Chamomile tea would be okay to give to a 6.5mo??? I just want to make sure I got this right b/c I would love to give her a little.
I wouldn't --but remember your kids are YOURS, you do what feels right for you.
#8 of 10 Old 07-18-2007, 10:11 PM

My kiddos LOVE tea! Actually Nettles is Full of super mineral & Vitamins that help nourish wee ones along w/providing minerals during teething!:
Raspberry leaf is another tea that is yummy & full of minerals & vit's for wee ones! IMOP, Raspberry isn't too astringent: BUT that's just me
#9 of 10 Old 07-19-2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
:

"Tummy Comfort" tea by Traditional Medicines has Lemon balm, chamomile, and mint. I have given my lo this tea since he was 3.5 mo. old. It was measured in drops so I wouldn't say this is for drinking like juice. (4 or 5 drops repeat a couple of times a day if needed.)
#10 of 10 Old 07-19-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
:

I've been giving my LO chamomile since he was about 6 months, when the teething set in. He loves it, never had a problem with it. I make it rather weak, just a slight yellow color to it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page