Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Life With a Baby (http://www.mothering.com/forum/32-life-baby/)
-   -   Dropping a Nap?? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/32-life-baby/716917-dropping-nap.html)

katt 07-23-2007 01:22 AM

So, about what age to babies usually drop a nap and which one is it usually?

I don't think DS is ready to go down to 2, but I'd like to know about when to expect it.

TIA

reducereuserecycle 07-23-2007 01:23 AM

appx. 6 months, but it totally depends on the baby.

utahfeminist 07-23-2007 01:33 AM

My babies both dropped one of their naps at around six months.

They both gradually went longer between feeds and got into the routine of a morning nap about 2 1/2 hours after they woke in the morning- so usually around 9.30 or 10 and then an afternoon nap around 3.

My daughter went down to one nap a day before she turned one because she got too excited about running up and down her crib. I then gave up on the morning nap, kept her up till about lunchtime and then she would do a really long nap.

My son now 8 months does two decent naps a day. When they are depends on a whole variety of things.....

wifeandmom 07-23-2007 03:02 AM

Once my babies settled into the morning/afternoon/early evening nap routine, the next thing that happened was the early evening nap got shorter. Over the course of about a month or so, somewhere between 6-8 months or so, they settled into a morning/afternoon nap routine that was pretty consistent by 8-9 months.

Dropping to one nap a day was a lot trickier. My twins were about 18-20 months when they went to one LONG afternoon nap. My third was about 13-14 months, though he'd have kept napping twice a day had our schedule permitted.

One thing to keep in mind is that most babies don't just drop a nap one day, it's more of a process. They might take that third nap 5 of 7 days one week, the next week it's only 4 days, then 2-3 days, then only rarely, then not at all. Each time we dropped a nap, it was at least a month long process before the new routine was really consistent.

#4 is now almost 8 months old and takes that third nap some days, some days not. We are in much less of a routine than when my older three were babies, mostly because we CAN be (having twins then a singleton 13 months later meant we had to have some sort of routine so I could take care of everyone's needs).

I figure she'll be at two naps a day in a month when school starts (she'll be 9 months), but I have figured in time for a late evening cat nap if she still needs one that also allows for an early enough bedtime so she's ready to start the day in time to get my older ones to school. This fall will be much more time/schedule oriented than ever before, out of necessity, and I'm not sure how that's going to work exactly. We shall see...

lexmas 07-23-2007 09:07 AM

DS is 8 months and he still takes 3 naps a day! But, maybe he's just a sleepy baby because he definately needs them! When he stops getting cranky and sleepy 3 times a day, then I'll stop offering!

lemurmommies 07-23-2007 11:34 AM

My DS dropped his third nap two weeks ago or so. I miss it!

He used to nap at about 9:00am, 1:00pm and 4:00pm; now, he usually naps at 9:00am and around 2:30pm.

BetsyS 07-23-2007 02:35 PM

In the last week or so, I think my son has dropped his 3rd nap. He's 10.5 months old. He now naps at around 7:30 in the morning and again around 1:00.

BethanyB 07-23-2007 02:58 PM

OK, I know every baby is different, but humor me. At 6 months or so, if they only do two naps a day, that means they are going 3-4 hours in between naps? Or are they taking two really long naps typically? My ds is 5 months and if he goes three hours between naps, it's too long. I'm just wondering b/c I'm a "nap nazi" (according to dh) and I really try to get ds his regular naps in. Maybe I should let him go longer and see what happens?

lemurmommies 07-23-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanyB View Post
OK, I know every baby is different, but humor me. At 6 months or so, if they only do two naps a day, that means they are going 3-4 hours in between naps? Or are they taking two really long naps typically?
My DS, who is now 7.5 months old, typically goes 3 to 3.5 hours between his first and second nap, and then 4-5 hours between his second nap and bedtime. And sadly, no, they are generally not long naps. DS's morning nap is usually 45min to 1hr, and his afternoon nap is 1hr to 1.5hrs.

my_baby_love 07-23-2007 08:16 PM

My DS (8 months) takes two naps a day. He sleeps for about two hours per nap, and stays awake between two and four hours between naps. Every once in a while he will only do one nap a day and it completely stresses me out! On Saturday he only took his morning nap and then stayed up for almost eight hours befre going to bed. I think I was more worried about his lack of sleep than he was . I think he dropped the third nap a day around five months. I do love that he will sleep for two hours though.

_betsy_ 07-23-2007 08:56 PM

My 10 mo just recently got into a solid 2-nap routine. And we went from three 30-45 minute naps to two 45 minute to 1.5 hour naps.