Nap time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2003, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious how your babe usually goes down for a nap, and where they sleep.

DS is now 3 months and when he's really tired, the only place he wants to be is in his swing, in which he promptly goes to sleep in about a minute. I just spent the last hour trying to get him to fall asleep with me. I tried the sling, and after 15 minutes of that he got mad. Then I just tried walking him, rocking him, all the usual to which he was still crabby and complaining. Finally, I gave up and put him in his swing. As soon as I put him in he smiled and cooed at me. I sang him one song and he was fast asleep!

Occasionally he's fallen asleep on his blanket on the floor and he still falls asleep in my lap, usually after supper. But it's gotten to be that when he's tired in the daytime, he only wants that swing! I'm bummed out about it, because here he has a mama who's perfectly happy walking and rocking him to sleep and letting him sleep in his sling and now he doesn't like any of it.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? I'm especially bummed that he doens't seem to like his sling anymore. He used to take at least one or two naps in it a day, and now he doesn't seem to like it at all. (he's very squirmy when he's tired, which is part of it, I think)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2003, 06:10 PM

My dd is 3 & 1/2 months old and we still swaddle her. She is very squirmy and wakes her self up very easily with her hands. Have you tried swaddling her and laying her on her side with a rolled up blanket on each side. We do this and it seems to keep her nice and snug. Mine also loves her swing and sometimes takes 2-3 hr naps in it. My dd also never liked the sling, so I understand your concern. I was also willing and ready to wear her everywhere but she is much happier in the swing. Have you tried different types of carriers, though. Mine likes her sling now that she can ride kangaroo. She also loves the Bjorn, but didn't use to be crazy about any of them. They change so fast so my advice is change with them. Good luck
Old 07-07-2003, 07:21 PM

my ds is 5 1/2 months old and sometimes i feel like we are still in that newborn staging, meaning that it seems that each day brings a different routine. he used to take three naps a day, which ranged from 20mins to 2 hours (usually closer to 20 mins). Now there's only two. most of the time he will fall asleep either in the sling or with me holding him and bouncing and singing or while nursing, however, i never know what will work for a particular day, so i try each (of course, sometimes nothing works and then i have a cranky baby for a while until he just crashes). he has definitely rejected the sling on many an occasion, but then will love it on other days. don't worry too much about that. if the sling isn't working right now, it doesn't mean it won't work again. imo whatever works for the babe is fine. it seems that things change all the time.

User Tag List