Help - natural ways to get babe to poop? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's 4am and babe is in some serious tummy pain, having not pooped in almost 4 days. I'd do a search, but with this babe plus a sick (with a cold) toddler, I'm at my wits end.

Anyone have some natural remedies to help my 1 month old finally poop?

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#2 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 08:04 AM

Hi,

Looking at your baby's age I am assuming that she is being exclusively breastfed? Breastfed babies very rarely get constipated. However, breast milk is highly utilized by the body so it is very normal for a baby to go a few days without passing stool. Taking her temperature rectally can help encourage stool if you really want to though.

At this age, more than likely it is gas and not constipation that is causing the discomfort.

Gripe water may be helpful, fennel, ginger and chamomile may also help. There is also the "I LOve YOU" massage that can help pass gas through the intestines. There are directions on how to do this in Dr. Sear's Baby Book.

Good luck! I know how hard it is to see your baby in pain!
#3 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 08:14 AM
SMR

my dd went 6 or 7 days once without pooping! The only time I ever called the doctor! I was kind of freaked! The mainstream doctor didn't think it was a huge deal, she did suggest some kind of syrup - which I didn't use.. the babe pooped that day! haha I agree with pp, going for days without pooping isn't as strange in a breastfed baby.. as long as there is pee, I'd not worry. My girl went every 3 days on a normal basis.. when I was concerned though, I'd give her some flax oil - but that was after she was eating solids..

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#4 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 09:07 AM

My 4 month old has skipped several days since birth, but in the first 6 weeks its uncommon. Are there LOTS of wet diapers? Try massage, a warm bath with mom, "bicycling" the legs. You can try a bit of rectal stimulation if you feel its "time to intervene" BF baby poop is light and fluffy and sometimes doesn't put enough pressure on the rectum to stimulate pushing. So a q-tip covered in aquaphor gently inserted just a bit will often exert the needed force to get things moving. Its more likely to be gas and normal newborn "learning to use the body" growing pains.
#5 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

yeah, I figured it was more gas than anything, but she seemed to be in so much pain I was desperate from some other ideas from you mamas!

Thanks for the support and ideas! Savvy is resting more comfortably this morning. No poop yet, but seems to be gasfree for now!

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#6 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 10:44 AM

http://wholesomebabyfood.com/constip.htm
this site was helpfull for lots of things.
#7 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 03:08 PM

my little guy seemed to be really constipated a few weeks ago, I wasn't sure if it was costipation cos he is exclusively breastfed still, but I ate a big handful of dates and kept feeding him lots and a couple of hours later he had the hugest explosive poo and then cheered up lots For as long as you are breastfeeding she eats whatever you do, so it might be worth trying something gentle like dried fruit?
#8 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoed View Post
So a q-tip covered in aquaphor gently inserted just a bit will often exert the needed force to get things moving.
: Aquaphor is petroleum based, a big no no
Also it is never wise to stimulate a bm in an infant who has not been verified by medical exam to be in need of doing so b/c it becomes over time "necessary" for all bms. This techinque I have seen used in preemies and it causes problems later down the road b/c they can't poop without it.

4 days in a bf 4 week old is not all that uncommon. Do make sure you are feeding her enough, check wet diapers and that she is nursing frequently and long enough to get the nice fat hind milk.

Tummy massage in a U motion and warm bath are good. And tummy time helps gas move along.

If you are still worried, a doctor can feel the stomach to tell you if she is constipated, which generally does not happen in EBF babies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page