Doctor's visit left me with questions.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Background: my son is 6 mo. He has been formula fed since 1 wk. We do not co-sleep.

So at my son's 4 mo. check-up, the doc. kept telling me and DH (well, fiance) how great it was that we had "trained" DS to sleep thru the night. Of course, we were both kinda lost, b/c we weren't "training"....he just happened to be sleeping thru the night. Of course, about 2 days after this praise, he started waking up again, usually twice a night.

Now, I do find this annoying, but I wasn't worried about it. He wakes up, eats a bottle, and immediately goes back to sleep. 15-20 mins, tops. It's still a pain, don't get me wrong, but I just assumed that if he was waking up to eat, well, he needs to eat.

The doc. said today, though, that there's no reason for him to need to eat during the night. He's just "gotten used to it" and "gotten US trained." She said that we should be feeding him more during the day, so that he doesn't need more during the night. She suggested that we feed him slightly less solids and slightly more bottle, since formula is higher in calories. Then, when he does wake up, we should essentially let him CIO. If we can't handle it, then we should give him a couple ounces of water to tide him over until 5 or 6 am.

I'm not keen on the CIO idea. I could be comfortable with patting him on the back and talking softly until he calmed down, but not so much CIO.

But let's put the CIO aside. Is there any basis to it otherwise, I mean that giving him more calories during the day will keep him asleep at night? It seems strange to try to force him to eat more during the day....I'm just torn at this point--yes, I want to sleep for more than 2-4 hours at a stretch. But if my child is hungry, it seems unnecessarily cruel to deny him that because I "know" he doesn't really need to eat.

Additionally, she asked what stage foods I've been feeding him (stage 1). She said that I should try stage 2, and if it goes well, switch immediately to stage 3. The goal, she said, is to have him completely on table foods by 9 mo. Now, I'm far from the crunchiest mama here....I started solids at 3.5-4 mo, I spoonfeed, etc... but to have him completely on solid food by 9 mo. seems a little premature. I guess I was thinking more 12 mo. Am I off my rocker here?

On some level, it seems a bit strange to question my doctor and instead go w/ the advice of a bunch of "laymen," but I'd like some btdt advice.

(PS-->She also said I should start him on a sippy cup. I have a deep-set hatred for sippy cups. They annoy me to no end. He can drink out of a regular cup with help. Neither he, nor any of my subsequent children will be using a sippy cup. I don't care what she says. So there! My DH was at the apt., too, and he said he fully expected my head to explode at the mere mention of sippy cups )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2007, 05:49 PM

Old 07-31-2007, 06:01 PM

I have friends that formula feed, and they didn't switch from formula to solids + milk until 12 months. And, one of them has had to go back to formula, as her dd couldn't tolerate the milk. I think 9 months is really, really young.

I think it's very normal for a 6 month old to still be waking at night because of hunger. My pediatrician tried to tell me that my son didn't need nutrition at night at 6 months, and I had to disagree. He was hungry at night. He just started sleeping all night, and he's 11 months old, and around here, that seems early.

I hear you on the sippy cups. My kid loves sippy cups, but no bottles. Ugh, I don't like bottles. They give me the heeby-jeebies. It's a weird personal problem that I have. If I am in a restaurant and see a bottle, I have to move so that I don't have to look. If I'm out in public and see one, I have to walk really, really fast so that I don't have to see it. So, I understand your weirdness there.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:07 PM

1) My DD is 13 mos old, and still wakes up once a night to eat. She has a high metabolism and is active; I feel like I'm feeding her constantly during the day, but she still NEEDS that extra food at night (her weight is in the 3rd percentile). If your baby needs to eat, he needs to eat. I would NEVER give a hungry baby just water....if your baby is hungry, s/he NEEDS that food, and, at this age, you really can't expect him to wait. And six months is prime time for a MAJOR growth spurt, as well as the beginning of a significant increase in calories needed (due to crawling, pulling up, etc.). Your doc is off her rocker.

2) I'm not sure what the doc means by completely on table foods...does she mean w/o formula??? Because baby should get bm/formula until at least 2 years. There's no need for any stage food, quite honestly. If your baby is ready for solids, then he's ready for table food. Most stage foods are watered down, and then, for stages 2 and 3, thickened up with fillers. Blech. Most of what you eat, aside from allergy concerns if that worries you, can be given to your baby.

3) There are some foods that, ounce for ounce, have more calories than formula...olive oil comes to mind. One egg yolk has 60-65 calories. Full-fat cheese is about 100 cal/ounce depending on the type. Avocado (a great first solid) has about 50 calories/ounce. At your baby's age, he should be mostly on formula/bm, but if you're going to give solids, choose very carefully for calorie/healthy fat packed ones.

4) I can't think of any reason why a baby *needs* a sippy cup. That's got me puzzled.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
2) I'm not sure what the doc means by completely on table foods...does she mean w/o formula??? Because baby should get bm/formula until at least 2 years. There's no need for any stage food, quite honestly. If your baby is ready for solids, then he's ready for table food. Most stage foods are watered down, and then, for stages 2 and 3, thickened up with fillers. Blech. Most of what you eat, aside from allergy concerns if that worries you, can be given to your baby.
Yes, she said that DS should be completely on solid food, no formula, by 9 mo. I understand that most moms on here dislike store-bought baby foods. I'm not against them (clearly ), but I don't see the point of rushing past formula. It also has me confused b/c at one point she said I should be giving MORE formula, b/c of calories per ounce, but then she said that I should be weaning off of formula in the next few months :
Old 07-31-2007, 06:25 PM

I would pass on getting parenting advice from a dr. And that's what these are -- parenting issues. when your babe is sick, and you need someone to figure out why, call a ped. that's what they do. but parenting advice? might as well call your mother.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:39 PM

Your ped is clearly misinformed. Agree with pp..do not rely on peds for anything other than medical advice.

Biting my tongue about everything else.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFashionedGirl View Post
Yes, she said that DS should be completely on solid food, no formula, by 9 mo. I understand that most moms on here dislike store-bought baby foods. I'm not against them (clearly ), but I don't see the point of rushing past formula. It also has me confused b/c at one point she said I should be giving MORE formula, b/c of calories per ounce, but then she said that I should be weaning off of formula in the next few months :
That's completely bad advice. I wonder where your doctor got this idea of stopping formula at 9 months??? Baby should be no younger than 12 months before stopping formula. 12 months is really really standard, even the most mainstream doctor will tell the parents 12 months, not 9 months. It's not "layman's" advice, it comes from the AAP:

Quote:
Frank Greer, M.D., FAAP, member of the American Academy of Pediatrics' (AAP) Committee on Nutrition, says breastmilk is the optimal choice of nutrition for your baby for the first 12 months. "Human milk is the preferred food for all infants, including premature and sick newborns, with rare exceptions. The only acceptable alternative to breastmilk is iron-fortified infant formula," he says.
http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases...tnutrition.htm

And I agree with the pp who said that your doctor's comments that your baby is "training you" by waking up at night is just her parenting advice which is not her job and is beyond her expertise. Ignore her about parenting advice, that's not why you go to check ups. You go to check ups for medical advice.

Single mom of 2 boys
Old 07-31-2007, 06:44 PM

I disagree with your doctor as well. IME, most doctors aren't experts on nutrition, and I take what they say as a jumping off point for some more research of my own.

I'd say if your ds is taking a full feeding or close to it when he wakes at night, he probably really IS hungry, and forcing more calories during the day isn't likely to help. Babies have pretty small stomachs, and need to eat often. They just do. Twice a night at 6 months sounds pretty normal for a formula fed baby to me.

There's no reason to quit formula at a year, much less at 9 mos, IMO. My kids did not eat enough solids either in quantity or variety at those ages to get enough nutrition. I don't think most babies do. Mine were closer to the 18-20 mos range before they weaned off the bottle or breast, and even that's a little early.

Sippy cups and jarred/pureed baby food both fall into the "convinience" category IMO. Use 'em if you want, don't if you don't. But I'm certainly not the crunchiest one around here...
Old 07-31-2007, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
WTF?? The ped is telling you to get the baby off formula by 9mo? The AAP recomends breastmilk or formula for the first 12 months, and says that whole cow's milk isn't recomended before 12 months of age (with some exceptions for tiny quantities in cooking or whatnot.) Are you in the USA? Is your baby's doctor a pediatrician? I'm only asking because if you are, then your ped is completely going against her own academy's recomendations.

Follow the baby's lead with food. Offer bottles when the baby wants them, and offer solids when the baby wants them. I do suggest offering more finger foods, though I see no reason to stop spoon-feeding if the baby doesn't take in very much with finger feeding and seems to want more solids at that meal. Offer a wide variety of foods, and keep the baby on formula until AT LEAST 12mo, and maybe longer if he's not reliably eating a balanced diet by then.

Oh, and ignore the dr's parenting advice. She's no more "an expert" on non-medical stuff than the cashier at the local supermarket, or your hairdresser, or your accountant.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 07-31-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popbaby View Post
...do not rely on peds for anything other than medical advice.
my thoughts exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popbaby View Post
Biting my tongue about everything else.
ditto.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:29 PM

Just for the sake of full disclosure, I have been breast feeding since day one and we do co-sleep. My baby is almost 7 months old.

My son does not wake up to nurse but he does nurse about 3 times during the night (11:30, 2:30 and 5:30). It is kind of funny that he is so regular about it--like there is a little alarm bell in his tummy that goes off when it is completely empty--I guess his tummy empties every 3 hours on the dot. (I nurse him to sleep starting at 8:00 or 8:30, depending on if he indicates he is tired before his 8:30 bedtime.)

I think your dc needs to eat in the night and I think your doctor is a whacko for telling you to ignore him. I hope that you will continue to do what you've been doing and respond to his need for food during the night.

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlumpkin View Post
Just for the sake of full disclosure, I have been breast feeding since day one and we do co-sleep. My baby is almost 7 months old.

My son does not wake up to nurse but he does nurse about 3 times during the night (11:30, 2:30 and 5:30). It is kind of funny that he is so regular about it--like there is a little alarm bell in his tummy that goes off when it is completely empty--I guess his tummy empties every 3 hours on the dot. (I nurse him to sleep starting at 8:00 or 8:30, depending on if he indicates he is tired before his 8:30 bedtime.)

I think your dc needs to eat in the night and I think your doctor is a whacko for telling you to ignore him. I hope that you will continue to do what you've been doing and respond to his need for food during the night.
Just curious: how does that work? I guess I just don't understand/can't wrap my mind around it at all.

On some level I appreciate the doctor's interest in my child-rearing. But on the other hand, it seems bizarre. Even my mom (who, among other things, was feeding me cereal at 2 wks) thought it was a bit over the top.

She also told me that if I had any problems/questions w/ the sleep thing, I could call and talk to a nurse. Okay, first of all, the last (and only) time I did that, I was only hold for 20+ minutes. I talked to the nurse for about 3. That phone call cost me over $20 (it was long distance). Second, the doc. went on the say that they'd probably just offer me encouragement. So I'm supposed to pay $20 to hear some nurse tell me "keep on keepin' on"?

Ugh! For me, this is my eternal struggle: I do not want to raise/create a needy, dependent child who grows up to think that the world revolves around him and that everything will drop for him. I do not want my child to be waking up twice a night until he's 3. But at what point to I decide that he isn't hungry/doesn't "need" to eat and is just waking up b/c he can? How do I strike a balance between being there for my child and fostering a bond of trust and love, and not creating an overly-dependent "mama's boy" for lack of a better word?

This is where I feel I come to a crossroads with many other MDC mom's. I feel like there probably is a point where CIO is acceptable. But to me, that point is probably when my kid is 2 and wants a glass of water at 2:30 am, not at 6 mo., when he wakes up at 2:00 am to have 8 oz. of formula and then go back to sleep.

I really can't win in the parenting game, can I?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:00 PM

Before I start my reply, we are a co-sleeping family (as you can see in my sig,) but my son has been exclusively FF since 5 weeks because of a failed attempt at BFAR.

Quote:
Now, I do find this annoying, but I wasn't worried about it. He wakes up, eats a bottle, and immediately goes back to sleep. 15-20 mins, tops. It's still a pain, don't get me wrong, but I just assumed that if he was waking up to eat, well, he needs to eat.
:

Absolutely. At 6 months, I would definitely say that if he is waking up, he needs to eat. Especially since he is settling so quickly after he has a bottle. My son is 8 months old and gets up once or twice a night, drinking about 8-10 ounces overnight. I cannot imagine trying to get that much more formula into him during the day.

Quote:
She suggested that we feed him slightly less solids and slightly more bottle, since formula is higher in calories.
This seems like very sound advice. Every major health organization recommends no solids until 6 months, so it stands to reason that at 6 months, the great majority of your sons nutrition needs should be coming from his formula. My doctor said that at 6 months I needed to make sure he was taking at least 32 ounces of formula a day. If he dropped to less than that, I should stop offering solids and wait a bit.

Quote:
I'm just torn at this point--yes, I want to sleep for more than 2-4 hours at a stretch. But if my child is hungry, it seems unnecessarily cruel to deny him that because I "know" he doesn't really need to eat.
Yes, it is unnecessarily cruel to deny your son formula at night if he wakes up and is hungry. And with a baby so young, I think that you are very lucky to be getting 4 hour stretches.

Quote:
The goal, she said, is to have him completely on table foods by 9 mo.
Now to me, this is perhaps the very, very worst of all of the advice she gave you. There is NO WAY that your son should be taken off formula before 12 months, at the VERY EARLIEST. Because I am a strong supporter of extended breastfeeding, I am not planning on transitioning my DS off of formula until closer to two years. I figure that had I been successful at BF I would have continued for at least that long, so why would I take him off formula before then? I really believe that the extra nutrition that they get from formula is important, even if he is not getting as much after a year.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 07-31-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Ugh! For me, this is my eternal struggle: I do not want to raise/create a needy, dependent child who grows up to think that the world revolves around him and that everything will drop for him. I do not want my child to be waking up twice a night until he's 3. But at what point to I decide that he isn't hungry/doesn't "need" to eat and is just waking up b/c he can? How do I strike a balance between being there for my child and fostering a bond of trust and love, and not creating an overly-dependent "mama's boy" for lack of a better word?

This is where I feel I come to a crossroads with many other MDC mom's. I feel like there probably is a point where CIO is acceptable. But to me, that point is probably when my kid is 2 and wants a glass of water at 2:30 am, not at 6 mo., when he wakes up at 2:00 am to have 8 oz. of formula and then go back to sleep.

Can I ask why you think a two year old should be denied a glass of water at 2:30 in the morning? Sometimes I wake up needing a glass of water at 2:30 in the morning - really needing it. Should I be denied? The only difference is that I can get it for myself, and the two year old can't. That's why two year olds have parents. You are there to help him with needs he can't take care of on his own. Twenty-four hours a day.

And do you really think you would be that much happier listening to your baby scream and tantrum for hours (do you have any idea how loud and rambunctious an unhappy two year old can get?), than you would by meeting his needs and putting him back to bed?

If you don't want your child to be needy and dependent (not that there's anything wrong with a child being dependent, we are biologically designed to be dependent on our parents until we reach maturity), teaching him that your response to his needs is conditional is not the way to go. If you don't meet his developmentally appropriate needs, he will get needier and needier and needier. If you meet them, he will move on easily to the next developmental stage.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 PM

amanda - all other things aside, i dont think you can spoil a baby or send him on a life long path to be a mommas boy at 6mos. i think at this point you should be listening to the cues that darren gives...its hard when people tell u so many things - but babies run on instinct at this age (my personal opinion) and we as parents have to do our best to respond to OUR own baby!!!

gl

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Meeting your child's needs does not raise a needy dependent child. What it does is teaches your child that you are constant in their life, someone they can count on and who will always be there for them. It gives them courage to strike out on their own and explore the world knowing that mama will always be there to help them. Forming a secure attachment helps your child to become a more independent youngster, teenager, and eventually adult.

My son is 7 months. He wakes anywhere from 3 to 10+ times a night. Yes, I wish that we never had those 10+ nights, but it happens. Last night, I think we were awake more than asleep. I never once thought about letting him CIO, he's teething, he's hurting, and he needed his mama. He'll only be this little once, and it's such a short amount of time.

Don't be afraid to meet your child's needs. Treasure this time, and pour all the love you have on that little one.

~heather

heather - wife to my wonderful husband , mama to Brenten William 12/29/06, and Devin Findley 10/20/09
Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You don't know how you're going to feel about 2yos until you actually have one. It's easy to be the mama of a 6mo and see 2yos as being "really big" but then when your own baby is 2 you'll probably see him as the baby he still is.

Don't worry about creating a spoiled child. Do your best to meet your child's needs. As he gets older, and his needs change, you can re-evaluate what you're doing and see if anything needs changing at that point. Part of what older babies and children need is limits- and you'll provide those when the time is right.

I'm not going to make my 5yo do all his own laundry and cooking because I'm afraid he'll be spoiled if I wash his clothes and prepare his meals for him! I don't need to worry NOW about what will happen when he goes to college in 12 years! Similarly, don't worry about doing things for your 6mo- just meet his 6mo needs and trust that you'll be able to meet his 2yo needs when the time comes.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 PM

Here is how I think about it...I remember when I was pregnant that I woke up every night and had to eat. It was a must! If I didn't I would lay there awake (unable to sleep) until I did. When the body is growing so much it needs that nourishment and going 10-12 without it is really not reasonable, especially at 6 months. I wouldn't let him CIO if you think he is hungry, because he probably is hungry.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalateaDunkel View Post
Can I ask why you think a two year old should be denied a glass of water at 2:30 in the morning? Sometimes I wake up needing a glass of water at 2:30 in the morning - really needing it. Should I be denied? The only difference is that I can get it for myself, and the two year old can't. That's why two year olds have parents. You are there to help him with needs he can't take care of on his own. Twenty-four hours a day.

It's hard to remember that as adults, we too wake up many times a night. We wake up and roll over, need a drink, need to use the washroom, need our blankets adjusted. But we can do these things for ourselves. A two year old likely can't do many of these things for themselves, let alone a 6 month old.

Parenting does not stop when the sun goes down, no matter how tired you might be.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 07-31-2007, 08:42 PM

OldFashionedGirl: my ds does not wake up to nurse because he has me. Please understand--we co-sleep and he sleeps right next/up against me, with his head at boob-height. Here's what happens when he's hungry: he flaps a little bit (moves his arms/legs around) which cues me to wake up enough to help him latch on, he nurses in his sleep and I fall back to sleep almost immediately. Next time he wakes me, I switch sides and thus avoid waking up with an over-full breast (which I have had a few times from not switching sides). My husband has seen the baby latch on while I am completely asleep, but he was younger then and nursed more often.

Don't know if I can explain it any better, but if you have a specific question I will try.

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OldFashionedGirl: my ds does not wake up to nurse because he has me. Please understand--we co-sleep and he sleeps right next/up against me, with his head at boob-height. Here's what happens when he's hungry: he flaps a little bit (moves his arms/legs around) which cues me to wake up enough to help him latch on, he nurses in his sleep and I fall back to sleep almost immediately. Next time he wakes me, I switch sides and thus avoid waking up with an over-full breast (which I have had a few times from not switching sides). My husband has seen the baby latch on while I am completely asleep, but he was younger then and nursed more often.

Don't know if I can explain it any better, but if you have a specific question I will try.
You did a great job explaining it! As someone who's not a co-sleeper and not a bf'er, I was having a hard time visualizing how that would work. I get it now. Thanks for explaining
Old 07-31-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:

Yep, mine does this too.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

Ouch. I am pg again right now. Sometimes i have to get up for a galss of milk at 2am because i am sooo hungry. I canot imagine being denied this. I also drink water throughout the night. I could not imagine that if my 3 year old wanted a drink i would deny her Your baby is a person with needs. You will be the primary source for meeting those needs for the next 2 decades. DD(3 years) so slept and nursed while sleeping and is totally independant. Potty trained herself, loves to do new things, totally adventurous and a little too unfearful. Feeding, holding, nurturing your child does not make them into some clingy scared thing. Ignoring and "trianing" are much more likely to get you a clingy kid.

One of my best textbooks ( i am in school for Early Childhood Development) is by janet gonzalez mena The Young Child In The Family And The Community really talks about this.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:05 PM

Ok as for the sleeping through the night around 4 months is a very common time to have more frequent night wakings. Just try to ride them out. My BF cosleeping baby was sttn from about 6 weeks until just before 4 months then nightwakings started again. Of course at 9 months we are still "riding it out"

As for the solids I'd ignore the dr on that one as well. We started dd on solids just AFTER 6 months and now at 9 months she is completely on "table food". I just did about a month of my own pureed foods for her and after that started giving her little chunks of whatever we are eating. Now she eats table foods like a champ. Next baby I think I will skip the purees adn go right to tablefoods.

And as far as the sippy goes, i'd never say never . I was pretty against using the sippy cup too but as a baby gets older and more "grabby" letting her sip out of my cup became a not so great idea. If you want proof I'll show you a pic of her outfit she wore on Sunday to Panera Bread. It's covered in my grape juice that I was just letting her "sip" when she grabbed the top and dumped it all over her and me. It was not pretty .
Old 07-31-2007, 10:12 PM

sorry i didn't read that the pedi wanted formula stopped at 9 months, that is really bizarre
Old 07-31-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwendalynsMommy View Post

And as far as the sippy goes, i'd never say never . I was pretty against using the sippy cup too but as a baby gets older and more "grabby" letting her sip out of my cup became a not so great idea. If you want proof I'll show you a pic of her outfit she wore on Sunday to Panera Bread. It's covered in my grape juice that I was just letting her "sip" when she grabbed the top and dumped it all over her and me. It was not pretty .
I second that

My 9 month old loves to drink out of my cup, and it is messy. It's great to teach them how to use a regular cup early on, but a sippy does have a place in our house (I never thought it would).
Old 07-31-2007, 11:08 PM

My thoughts are that around 6-7 months we started getting sporadic "sleep thru the night (9-6 ish)" episodes. After a few of those when he did wake up I would try rocking him first and see if he would take his thumb, if he did not settle back to sleep but remained restless, i would give him a bottle. It took my 2nd baby til 9-10 months before we had 95% sleep thru the night 9-6. So vary different than my first who was sleeping thru at 8-10 weeks regularly.

Can you send you doctor an email instead of calling them. I find that works best for my contact with them that can wait up to 8 hours for a response.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 AM

I know that we covered the "don't take sleeping advice from your doctor point" but I wanted to mention that even Weissbluth, who is the harshest CIO proponent in my opinion, allows for a baby to wake to eat until 9 months old.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM

This is very sad. My 2.5 wakes up a few times most nights for water. We keep a glass in the bedroom. It's very dry in our bedroom right now, and she doesn't take a lot of time out of her busy day to drink, so she gets most of her water at night. She wakes, sits up and I hand her a glass, and she gulps several ounces and then goes back to sleep. I can't imagine denying her that. I don't know how that wouldn't be child abuse.

User Tag List