Is the name Isabel popular where you live? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has been my dream name if I have a girl. But I was talking to a friend last night & she said there are at least 3 that she knows of in her town. I was surprised and then she said, "well, 2 are Isabellas." I guess I was assuming that since Isabel is less popular I was getting away with something. Do you consider these names the same?

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#2 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 07:28 PM

I don't consider Isabel and Isabella the same name. But I do know of 2 babies named Isabel around me. Whether that makes it popular I don't know...

It is a beautiful name though.
#3 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 08:58 PM

I don't have any that I know of- I really like the name, too.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#4 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 09:37 PM

Both Isabel and Isabella are really popular around here. We were considering it for our baby but decided against it because there are so many Isabel/Isabellas in the Bay Area.
It's such a beautiful name, though.
#5 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 09:43 PM

check my sig!

Isabella is a bit more popular around here, but I've seen at least one Isabel at Gymboree. I've also met an Ysabel. They're in the same "group" to me, but I don't care - didn't stop me as you can see!

You can always personalize it with a nickname. I know some are Izzy, some are Belle or Bella, ours is Isa (rhymes w/Lisa). One thing is for sure, there's a lot of options w/the name.

One girl I know named her dd, Isabella Elizabeth - which is funny b/c Isabel is the Spanish form of Elizabeth. I can't believe she never came across this information, but she says at least a half a dozen people have pointed it out now that it's her name.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#6 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 10:31 PM

I think both are beautiful names. I have one cousin named Isabelle, and one names Isabella.

Jennifer
#7 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 11:25 PM

isabella is very popular in new york city; isabel less so. great name!
#8 of 13 Old 07-09-2003, 01:22 AM

we don't know any other isabels or isabellas in our area. our dd2 is isabella. however, our cousin was going to name their baby isabel if it was a girl and a girlfriend of mine named her dd bella. from what i know they are both forms of elizabeth in different languages, isabel in spanish and isabella in italian. i think they are both beautiful. currently we call our little one isabella or bella. i am not too crazy for izzy, so we are going to try and keep away from that as a nickname.

i like the isabelle form, that's pretty and a little different
#9 of 13 Old 07-09-2003, 06:07 PM

Our new baby will be an Isabel I don't know any other Isabel's personally, even though I hear it a lot lately as a baby name.

That Isabel Elizabeth story is kind of funny.
#10 of 13 Old 07-09-2003, 07:06 PM

Well when we picked Isabella for our daughter we did not know anyone named that. After we had her it seemed like everytime I turned around I heard someone named Isabella. Now that we moved I have not heard it as much
#11 of 13 Old 07-10-2003, 04:22 AM

I consider Isabel and Isabella to be variations of the same basic name (so yes, they are the same to me).

I know three Isabels in our town of 5000 people. One is two years old, one is three, one is about ten? Have never met any besides those three in my 34 years.

I think it is a pretty name and LOVE the nicknames Belle or Bella!!!!
Kirsten
#12 of 13 Old 07-10-2003, 06:49 PM

I had the name Eleanor Caroline picked out a long time before I even conceived dd2. Dd1 even referred to her hypothetical sister as Eleanor. While pregnant and just after she was born I felt strongly she should be Isabella. I knew that would totally throw dd1 for a loop, though, plus I was concerned about the name's popularity. That wouldn't have stopped me, though, if that was the only issue. I think Sophia and Isabella go very well together. I still feel sort of wistful about not naming her Isabella. I only know one Isabel in real life, but I've seen *many* here on the boards! (see above :LOL ) Caroline was in honor of my mom, but she didn't like it, so after she went thru the hellish nightmare that was my birth experience with me, I told her she could pick out the baby's middle name. She said she felt like the baby wanted to be Elizabeth. She didn't know about the Isabella/Elizabeth connection, but I did, so I knew right away that that was it. Eleanor Elizabeth. She winds up being called Ellie, Ellie Bellie, Ellie Belle, Bellie, and Belle.

I think if you love it, it feels right to you, and suits your dd you should go with it!

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#13 of 13 Old 07-12-2003, 03:19 PM

I now know 3 Isabel/Isabella's. It's becoming a very common name, but if you love it I don't think that should stop you. However, having said that, we were going to name our dd Emma, until we found out it's one of the top 5 names!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page