~*~April 2007 Mamas~*~ Wow, It's August already!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I'd start a new thread for the new month. This is the hottest month of the year for us BUT it's my favorite month because it's my birth month You'd think I'd stop getting excited about it as I realize each year means I get older

I love the Huggaluggs they are so freakin cute!! I got them in the mail the other day. I've been busy trying to finish up a project from the end of last semester. I didn't get to finish one class. I have been working on it for 2 days - full days and evenings and I am so sick of it. I wish I didn't procrastinate so much. It is such a terrible habit of mine.

Ashton is doing well. He's such a snuggle bug . He doesn't like being on his stomach either. I try tummy time but he doesn't love it so much unless we are outside on a blanket but it has been a little too hot and humid the last week or so. He doesn't roll over yet but he has great he control. Well, I better get back to Sketchup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 06:08 PM

velvet: how exciting about the house!

I love how you all are so dedicated about working out. S & I go to a stroller class on Mondays. On the weekends I like to get out early and walk around the neighborhood. I'm trying to either hit the tradmill or go for a walk at 8pm while DH puts the older 3 to bed.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:17 PM

DH said "That's dedication" (re: getting up at 3:45 to workout). He said there is no way in h#!! that I would do that (and I am dedicated, ex personal trainer). He is right, I would not get up earlier than 6 no matter what! I'd let something else go or just stick to leg lifts while changing diapers!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:25 PM

Subbing and sharing a recent pic of my dude: http://quick.holdthatpic.com/images/114402.jpg

He has a little cold and was up every 45 mins last night. : He's napping now THANK GOD, he was so overtired and just would not stop crying.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:31 PM

Yeah, I'm dedicated, all right! And maybe a bit crazy, too! The great thing is that I have 3-4 hours in the morning after working out to get housework done before Hannah wakes up. Then I just lay down with her for naps, and I get to just play with her for most of the day!
We just got back from her 4 month WBV...The ped wants a poop sample to test for bacteria. She's had the runs for almost a week, and her Ped thinks it might be a virus. She says that it should be fine, but she did some test that showed there was a little blood in her poo. I'm thinking that the runs is from antibiotics for her ear infection, and that the blood (not visible, but apparently there) is from little tears from having to try to poop so hard. : Keep your fingers crossed for her, if you would...I expected that since she was breastfed, she wouldn't have health problems...now she's already had an ear infection, and possibly this...I'm just hoping that the lab doesn't find bacteria.

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
Old 08-01-2007, 07:37 PM

Oh, by the way, at our ped visit today, she started talking about introducing solids...and I laughed. The weird thing is that she's great with immunizations. She doesn't mind that we're waiting till 2yrs to immunize, and is really into nutrition. BUT she started telling me how to introduce rice cereal to Hannah's diet. I'm so glad I'm a strong mama. I just said "Don't worry, we won't have to deal with that for a couple of months, unless Hannah decides it's time!" She just said "OK...but make sure she doesn't get hungry!!" Yeah. Not a chance, with the way this kid is gaining weight!

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
Old 08-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Abby is doing great as well! We haven't been to the dr since she was 1 mo - she doesn't need it and I don't want to argue about vaxing. I'm guessing she is about 14 lbs - a chubber! We are beginning to look at size med dipes.

Pumping enough for her is hard - I am finishing up summer school right now and so I pump at 4 am and then try to feed her a bit before we leave or once I get to Mom's (Mom is watching her and Ari now). Next week, I start trainings since I am teaching for a new county this year. I guess I'll just have to slip out to pump. My schedule this year may not leave a whole lot of time for pumping either - I haven't figured out how I am going to pump enough I know the law says that I can have pumping breaks, but it is hard to figure out when I can leave my class in the hands of someone else for the 25-30 minutes it seems to take me to pump?!?

I went to value Village the other day and found Abby several toys - some still in their package. She loves playing with the new things, but there is this one toy that we have that is GREAT for the car. It makes noise when she moves it and is grabbable and chewable.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 PM

Lisa: your ds is too cute!!! All that hair, adorable!!

Kelsi: Dd has been in mediums for a bit now, it's so sad. She must be around 16lbs by now. She is tall and chubby!! I thought my small FB would last for a lot longer than they did! I could just eat her chubby thighs, they are yummy!! She hates tummy time as well, and loves to stand instead, so I'm not worried about head control :

Romi is the cutest thing in the world. I'm just so scared something bad will happen. Like I don't deserve something as perfect as she is. Makes me check on her too often and I feel major anxiety. I think what happened in our DDC really affected me : I don't know if it's ppd and that was the catalyst...
Old 08-02-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismomkoofie View Post
We are beginning to look at size med dipes.

Pumping enough for her is hard
I think it is just about time for us to switch to mediums too - and the smalls seemed so huge at first (we started with newborns)!

I'm with you regarding the pumping! It is so time consuming - I'm actually about to pump now - and still I never feel like I'm getting enough - actually they broke into my (small) freezer stash today!

Oh...I came home to the sweetest scene tonight - DH lying in bed with DS snuggled against him sleeping!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:19 AM

Hi everyone,

Hard to believe that our babies are all over three months old already! It felt so strange to meet other little babies who are younger than Chloe at a LLL meeting we went to last week.

Pumping alot of milk must be really hard, arismomkoofie... did you do this with your first child, also?

Muggins&Doody, your little one is a real cutie! So much hair! Chloe had lots but it is thinning out a bit lately...
Old 08-02-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
Romi is the cutest thing in the world. I'm just so scared something bad will happen. Like I don't deserve something as perfect as she is. Makes me check on her too often and I feel major anxiety. I think what happened in our DDC really affected me : I don't know if it's ppd and that was the catalyst...
You are an incredible maman doudat! I'm often in awe of your attitude toward life's ups and downs. You totally deserve your sweet baby! I check too...and wake up the second I can't feel his breath on my waist.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:03 AM

Hi There April Mommies!
I just found this thread and wanted to chime in... I think our babes are getting cuter by the day! I'm having lots of fun watching mine smile, laugh, and play with her toys... she also gets a kick out of mirrors.

Question... any other thumb-suckers out there? It's amazing how often she pops that thumb in her mouth (I apparently did the same thing for 3 years). Any 'gentle' ways to avoid this habit?

...still trying to learn abbreviations, sorry for the long note.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun~at~Heart View Post
Hi There April Mommies!
I just found this thread and wanted to chime in... I think our babes are getting cuter by the day! I'm having lots of fun watching mine smile, laugh, and play with her toys... she also gets a kick out of mirrors.

Question... any other thumb-suckers out there? It's amazing how often she pops that thumb in her mouth (I apparently did the same thing for 3 years). Any 'gentle' ways to avoid this habit?

...still trying to learn abbreviations, sorry for the long note.
hmm.. I'm super happy my son started sucking his thumb. I personally prefer it over a pacifier. I think of it as a wonderful 'self soothing' behaviour.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz View Post
Pumping alot of milk must be really hard, arismomkoofie... did you do this with your first child, also?
I pumped for DD1, but by 2 mo I wasn't pumping enough and began supplementing. Finally I only nursed at home and at her daycare she was on formula. When she was 9 months old she weaned herself, although I gave her formula still.

I know I can do a better job of pumping with Abby, but the milk seems to pump so slowly. Abby is much more efficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun~at~Heart View Post
If you want to avoid it, probably the easiest thing is a pacifier, DD has one of the soothie ones and she sticks her on thumb inside it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
hmm.. I'm super happy my son started sucking his thumb. I personally prefer it over a pacifier. I think of it as a wonderful 'self soothing' behaviour.
I agree. Abby found her thumb early and loves it! It doesn't get lost like a pacifier, and I think that it is fine for the first few years. Plus, It cuts down on the comfort nursing, when she has sucked me dry already and nursing is uncomfortable. DD1 is 4 and still sucks her thumb, but only when she needs to self soothe, like when she is upset or really tired. I did the same until age 12. I just did it less and less until I finally stopped. Funny thing is, I am the only one in the family who didn't need braces!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:46 PM

My DD also loves her thumb and fist to suck on, though she hates tummy time. I am not pushing it since she really doesn't seem to happy with it at the moment. What happened in our DDC scared me too and I have also been checking on my little one all the time, I just hope that mama is doing OK.

My family is trying to push solids early - but I say no way! Not until she is at least 6 months and only if she is interested. And I am certainly not doing the rice cereal, that stuff has no nutritional value. My parents keep saying...maybe she will "accidently" eat something on our September vacation - I say it better not or we are leaving: Nonetheless she is growing like a weed and perfectly happy on boob milk
Old 08-02-2007, 02:03 PM

i WISH G would find her thumb lol

I can't get over how huge she is...26.5 in and 15 lbs....she's in 6 month size clothes. It's crazy.....do you other mammas w/ big babes find it hard to remember how young they really are? I look at her and think...gosh why isn't she holding her head as well, etc...then I remember she's barely 3 months old lol.

We've had issues with her being hypertonic, and she was also diagnosed with mild torticollis...but she's been for 2 cranio sacral therapy sessions and she has improved immensely....she's still definately a high needs baby...but she seems so much happier...a few days ago she started laughing...it's the coolest thing!

With all of her issues, it makes me SO thankful that I read so much about and accepted AP...I think it helped prepare me for the constant out-pouring of myself into her needs. If I had gone into this with a more mainstream idea of what it's like to have a baby....I might have gone crazy.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi All!
I, too, wish S would find her thumb! She does so much comfort nursing! I (at the pressure of my mother) introduced a pacifier, but she wants only flesh! I can't blame her!
I'm trying to pump too. I'm going to work 10-12 hours a week in a few weeks and want to get a store... but I NEVER get more than an ounce, both breast, 10 minutes!!!
S is also a little weed! Growing like crazy- I just got 3 medium diaper covers, we're still in small, for a couple more weeks- I have so many size small!
Happy August!

Mama to Little Beedust.gif born April 2007 -

Expecting a new little one in Mid-October, after 3 1/2 years TTC

Old 08-02-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post

Yes, I have a thumb sucker. I think it is why she sleeps so well at night.

firsttimepreggers: get some probiotics. You take them since you are bf. Does she have to take a bottle at all? If so, you could put some in there too. Find them at your local health food store and ask them for help in the selection.

We haven't had anyone mention solids because I've been very forward with saying that since Claire is so allergic that we wont' be starting solids until at least 6 months. Maybe longer. My family really respects that. And now that Sophia has eczema (allergy panel negative) I'll be rather reluctant to start feeding anything even at that point.

By the way: babies don't need grains or rice cereal. Start with the fruits and veggies. Rice cereal started when moms started using formula and there wasn't a way to iron fortify formula.

I pump too. I don't think you ever feel like you have enough pumped. Oh wait - I will have that feeling when S turns one and I still have some milk stocked in the freezer. I have quite a few bags in the deep freeze and I still worry about my supply and keeping her fed. I think it comes from knowing th at the older kids needed to be supplemented since I couldn't keep up. I have a different job now so I'm more hopeful this time around. And more motivated to avoid formula because of c's allergies.

jenger: check out the kellymom.com website for pumping tips.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 08-02-2007, 04:26 PM

For those that pump, I hadn't done it at all yet until I bought a manual pump yesterday and tried. The pump is great--TONS of suction!!! Ouch! But there was no milk coming out, even though when I would manually express I got like 7 streams shooting across the room!

What's the deal?

And if it matters to anyone commenting, I'm just pumping to try it, not planning to make it a regular thing for right now, so I am not stressed (not even enough to ask in the bf forum yet), just looking for insight!

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:51 PM

hey everyone... haven't written in a while! glad to hear about everyone's bebes...

muggins-CUTE picture!

holiztic-had your milk dropped when you were pumping. i have quite a bit of milk, but find that i don't get much out at all (with a manual pump) until it drops...then pumping is a breeze.

zenon is sooo much bigger than kaylo was at his age...he's in 6 mo clothes and almost out of kissaluv 0 (which kaylo wore until he needed size 2s) :
recent picture in my siggy...we went on a camping/canoeing trip with friends of ours who also have two little ones (3 & 9mo). it went really well. the picture is from that trip.

happy august!

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
Old 08-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
For those that pump, I hadn't done it at all yet until I bought a manual pump yesterday and tried. The pump is great--TONS of suction!!! Ouch! But there was no milk coming out, even though when I would manually express I got like 7 streams shooting across the room!

What's the deal?

And if it matters to anyone commenting, I'm just pumping to try it, not planning to make it a regular thing for right now, so I am not stressed (not even enough to ask in the bf forum yet), just looking for insight!

Thanks!
You might give it a try when Quinn is nursing. I've found I get more from a breast if Abby is nursing the other side. I have the Pump In style and it does a few minutes of short "sucks" before starting the long slow ones. It helps with the let-down. Or, looking at a cute picture of Quinn could help while you pump. Good Luck trying!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:35 PM

Also, I forgot to add:

Abby is 4 months old today!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismomkoofie View Post
You might give it a try when Quinn is nursing. I've found I get more from a breast if Abby is nursing the other side. I have the Pump In style and it does a few minutes of short "sucks" before starting the long slow ones. It helps with the let-down. Or, looking at a cute picture of Quinn could help while you pump. Good Luck trying!
No need for a picture, he's always there I understand how the picture would help if baby wasn't present. I smile every time I look at one! On a slight side note: I had a woman (older) at Trader Joe's once tell me she thinks she just let down looking at Quinn (she also made a comment to another mom with an infant, I think she was going through empty nest syndrome).

Happy 4 months to Abby! You think we'll every have our reunion????
Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
No need for a picture, he's always there
Oh yeah Well, ok in case he is in the other room sleeping and you aren't RIGHT there with him

Quote:
Happy 4 months to Abby! You think we'll every have our reunion????
Thanks! Lorrie mentioned it the last time I "talked" to her, but she wasn't specific about a date. Should we just think of a time/place and let her know???

:
Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismarie View Post
hey everyone... haven't written in a while! glad to hear about everyone's bebes...

muggins-CUTE picture!

holiztic-had your milk dropped when you were pumping. i have quite a bit of milk, but find that i don't get much out at all (with a manual pump) until it drops...then pumping is a breeze.
???? I don't know, if I am getting a lot upon manual expression, doesn't that mean my milk has let down?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
firsttimepreggers: get some probiotics. You take them since you are bf. Does she have to take a bottle at all? If so, you could put some in there too. Find them at your local health food store and ask them for help in the selection.
I've been taking acidophilus for the past few days, and I have a bottle of keifer in the fridge...is that what you're thinking of? I just re-found the acidophilus () so I just started taking it again.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
???? I don't know, if I am getting a lot upon manual expression, doesn't that mean my milk has let down?
i guess i can just feel it. i have to pump for a while and then i can feel it and i have a lot of milk (it's easy to pump)... if my milk drops while zenon is sleeping, i'll quick pump while it's flowing

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
Old 08-03-2007, 03:17 AM

It's awesome to read everyone's updates! I loving having "friends" that have babies the same age as my DD. It's nice to read about how each baby is developing. They all have so much in common, but are also so unique.

Lisa - Ethan's big brown eyes are just GORGEOUS. And Zenon's blue eyes are too, krismarie - I LOVE that pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz View Post
: "felt so strange to meet other little babies who are younger than Chloe at a LLL meeting we went to last week."
Me too! I have to admit - I'm a little jealous when I see women with babies tinier than mine. I don't know why. A teeny 1 week old baby at church and Scout both had the same outfit on last Sunday and Scout looked like a giant!!!

Quote:
On a slight side note: I had a woman (older) at Trader Joe's once tell me she thinks she just let down looking at Quinn (she also made a comment to another mom with an infant, I think she was going through empty nest syndrome).
My DH's ex-boss said that she would always leak if she held little babies, no matter what. Is that possible? I just don't know the science behind it, but I think that's kinda cool. She breastfed her kids and donated a lot of milk too because she had an over abundance.

I think at 12 weeks, I just really started enjoying being a mommy. I mean, of course I was in love w/ DD from the moment I saw her....but I think around 12 weeks I had a wave of confidence and Scout's overall demeanor got a lot more peaceful. Now at 15 weeks old, I feel like we know eachother so well. I love waking up to her big smile. I love being able to calm her cries by hugging her and carressing her head. She is just a joy and I don't want her to grow so fast!

firsttimepreggers - update us w/ your little Hannah's tummy situation when you know more. Scout has been having some very watery/green weird poops for a little over a week and some ladies over at the breastfeeding forum thought it sounded like a virus, even though she doesn't seem sick. I take a probiotic called Floramore (although I've been kind of slacking on taking it every day) and I broke a capsule open today and let her lick some of the powder off of my finger. I hope that was okay to do. I was trying to avoid taking her to a doc because I am not happy w/ where we went for her 1 week check. We haven't been back for any more wbv's since then : ....but we found a doc that is supposedly very supportive of breastfeeding, delaying solids, and doesn't press the vaxing issue...only, we can't get in to see him until Sept 17th. If her poops don't clear up after I give her the probiotics for a couple days, I guess I should get her in to see a doc.

Some pics of Scout and our dog
Wanna Play?
I've been replaced.
Drooly face.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:34 AM

I love all the pics (and I've checked out all the adorable siggy pics too). Our babies are growing so fast

I just realized that exactly one year ago today I found out that our baby was on the way. What a shock!

He had his 4 month well baby checkup today (I just do it for entertainment and to see how much he weighs), and Ethan is 14lbs 8oz and 25". He's SO big compared to my other kids (DS1 was 13 lbs 8oz and DD was 12lbs 10oz at 4 mos) but he's in the 36 percentile for weight and length. The ped gave me a lecture about not nursing him to sleep. I think he could tell that I was brushing him off and ignoring him

Does anyone have nicknames for their babies? We call Ethan "Cheese", "Big Man" and "Beeper". DH comes up with these I think I need to change my username to MugginsDoody&Cheese
Old 08-03-2007, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggins&Doody View Post
He had his 4 month well baby checkup today (I just do it for entertainment and to see how much he weighs), and Ethan is 14lbs 8oz and 25". He's SO big compared to my other kids (DS1 was 13 lbs 8oz and DD was 12lbs 10oz at 4 mos) but he's in the 36 percentile for weight and length. The ped gave me a lecture about not nursing him to sleep. I think he could tell that I was brushing him off and ignoring him
Why is it bad to nurse a baby to sleep? I mean...I know it's not bad , but what are the doc's reasons for getting on to you about it? I've never really questioned it. It seems silly NOT to nurse a baby to sleep, since nursing them naturally soothes them and puts them to sleep.

User Tag List