When did you first take your baby camping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-08-2003, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! My dh and I love camping in the summer but this year we have 10 week old Ruby. Dh mentioned camping and thoughts of mosquitoes, other bugs and a hot tent started freaking me out. Does anyone have any helpful hints for camping with a little one or who thinks its a better idea to wait until next year when she's older? We live in NE Ohio and there are plenty of places close to home to go. Thanks for your opinions.!
#2 of 6 Old 07-08-2003, 10:56 PM

We went camping when our second dd was just a month old, we had a blast. We have a camp trailer so when the bugs came out in the evening we just went in for the night.

I sure woudnt let a baby slow you down from the things yiou enjoy.

They make little playpen like things that are portable and have bug screen bulit in. Also you can get bug netting to cover a stroller or a pack.

Maybe somebody will know of somthing natural and safe to deture bugs that you could use on your baby clothes.

Have fun
#3 of 6 Old 07-09-2003, 08:31 AM

We took DD camping for the first time when she was 6 weeks. Everything went great. In fact she seemed to love it That first trip we stayed close to home(only an hour away) just in case anything went wrong or we forgot something. We used a portable crib with a net cover for naps and she slept in the tent with us at night. We were always carefull to keep the tent completely closed to keep bugs out. Luckily there were not a whole lot of bugs. I recommend 'All Terrain' Herbal Armor for a bug spray, I got it at Whole Foods. When DD was that age I only put it on her clothes, now I put it on her skin. Good luck and have fun

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#4 of 6 Old 07-11-2003, 09:43 PM

We took ds when he was just 4 weeks! We camped at the beach, it didn't seem to phase him at all. He just slept in the sling where ever we were. We put two sleeping bags together and he slept with us like he does at home. We have two older boys and they too have camped with us since babes and love it! Don't worry.....they are pretty tough!
#5 of 6 Old 07-11-2003, 09:44 PM

We took ds when he was just 4 weeks! We camped at the beach, it didn't seem to phase him at all. He just slept in the sling where ever we were. We put two sleeping bags together at night and he slept with us like he does at home. We have two older boys and they too have camped with us since babes and love it! Don't worry.....they are tougher than you think.
#6 of 6 Old 07-11-2003, 09:50 PM

i almost think that camping at a baby is easier than camping with a very mobile and curious toddler. lavender oil helps deter mosquitos. you can also burn citronella incense and candles to keep bugs away from the site. have fun!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page