OTC Meds Recommended by Ped. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 25 Old 08-01-2007, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my initial visit with the pediatrician last week, and he recommended having a couple of things on hand for after the baby gets here. They were saline spray (for congestion) and some drops (name starts with "M", but I can't remember the rest) for gas. I just want to make sure these are necessary and there is not a more natural alternative out there before I run out and buy the products.

Any comments?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 08-01-2007, 09:11 PM

We used the Mylicon gas drops a few times but they didn't seem to work well. Then I figured out I couldn't drink milk, otherwise DS would have a melt down... and that solved the crying "gas" pains. The girl I babysit for gets them all the time (from her mom) if she cries... guess it makes the mama feel like she's "doing" something... I've never given them and never saw the need.

We did however use the saline drops for his nose (and mine) just when it was dry (winter) and he'd get all crustied and stuffed up. And the stuffiness went away in minutes.

Hopefully someone more educated comes along and tells us they're safe... this was before I discovered MDC and all that and still vaxed and all...

=D

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#3 of 25 Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 PM

Squirting breastmilk into their nostrils is a nice alternative to the saline drops. Works the same, only they don't mind the taste.
#4 of 25 Old 08-01-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbad View Post
Squirting breastmilk into their nostrils is a nice alternative to the saline drops. Works the same, only they don't mind the taste.
:
#5 of 25 Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 PM

My DS had a cold and terrible congestion when he was only 3 weeks old. The saline spray and the nasal snot-sucker thing were very helpful in getting him to nurse.

I think Mylecon may be totally a placebo. I could never see any observable benefit to it other than feeling that I'd done *something* to try to soothe a crying infant.
#6 of 25 Old 08-01-2007, 09:41 PM

Can't see the need for either. For congestion, breastmilk is best and has healing properties, way better than shooting saline up their nose. For gas, there is infant massage techniques and some leg crunches you can do with them. Also Weleda makes a great tummy massage oil.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#7 of 25 Old 08-01-2007, 09:48 PM

there is a great saline product called simply saline (for babies). it is a fine mist so i think it works better because more of it gets and stays in the nasal passages. i agree you never really know if the mylecon drops worked or if the gas just naturally passed, but i felt like it could not hurt and if it really helped then great. i had some luck with gripe water for tummy issues.

i suggest new mamas have in their tool kit: mylacon drops, infant tylenol, infant motrin (only for >6 months) gripe water, hylands teething tablets, simply saline, neosporin, cortaid or benedryl cream or some kind of anti itch and a thermometer.
#8 of 25 Old 08-01-2007, 10:02 PM

Some studies show that simethicone (the active ingredient in drops like mylicon) reduces gas while others don't. So it may depend on the person... I took it after my c/s and it really helped. But it treats a symptom, not a cause, and it's worth finding and fixing the cause of tummy gas. The Dr Sear's Baby book has a great chapter on resolving gassy tummies.

I've used breastmilk for nasal congestion and eye infections. Arnica gel for bumps and bruises, comfrey for scrapes, hyland's teething tablets, baby tylenol, thermometer, bach rescue remedy, calm forte, and (for the toddler) a cough/decongestant product. The Sears Baby book sits in easy reach and is an important part of our first aid kit.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#9 of 25 Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

This is exactly the kind of input I was hoping for. Thanks ladies!
#10 of 25 Old 08-01-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactustx View Post
i suggest new mamas have in their tool kit: mylacon drops, infant tylenol, infant motrin (only for >6 months) gripe water, hylands teething tablets, simply saline, neosporin, cortaid or benedryl cream or some kind of anti itch and a thermometer.
Do you have a position working with new moms?

Personally, I really don't see the need for the majority of items in your list. Breastmilk is great on cuts, scrapes, rashes, eye infections, stuffy noses, and plenty more. The Hyland's tablets and thermometer make sense, add some homeopathic calendula cream and a boob, and you have yourself a kit!

#11 of 25 Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 AM

the thing about mylicon is that it only works if the baby is actually gassy. Many moms give fussy babies who are not really gassy the drops and then wonder why they don't work. There are other things that work just as well though- when ds was gassy a good tummy rub worked as well as the drops. Also I've heard that chamomile tea can work better than the drops too. I've never used any kind of drops for ds nose, go with bm it's all natural and from what I've heard it works better! Good luck!

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#12 of 25 Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 AM

We used a natural version of gas drops, I think they're called Colicyntal (?). They said they were for colic, but in fine print it said gas. They are by the same company that makes hylands tablets, I'm pretty sure. They were a life saver for us. Worked wonders. I also became very vigilant about taking my beano. This seemed to translate to baby.

We didn't get much other medicine, but we did have to run to the store in the middle of the night on two seperate occasions - once for ibouprofen (horrible night time teething crying non-stop for hours) and once for baby tylenol (see above but add fever of 102). So, if you get it now, you'll save yourself the trouble of that midnight run.

Oh, and the hyland's tabs & some baby anbesol are also in our cabinet. The tabs are good for early teething, but didn't work once it really kicked into high gear. I did see hylands makes a gel, but only after we bought the anbesol.

congrats on the bundle on the way!
#13 of 25 Old 08-02-2007, 12:39 PM

I agree that the mylecon gas drops don't seem that effective. But you should definitley get the simply saline mist to have on hand. I don't see anything that isn't all natural about it. And when it is late at night and your baby is stuffed up it may be much easier then trying to figure out how to get breastmilk out of your boob and up your baby's nose. Also, the misting action of the simply saline bottle is great, and it never bothered my baby.
I've never used gripe water but I know that it is a very popular natural remedy that you may want to have on hand.

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#14 of 25 Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 PM

A lot of grippe water contains alcohol and/or sugar... so either make your own or be very careful to read the label!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#15 of 25 Old 08-02-2007, 01:02 PM

We made our own saline drops with warm water and sea salt, per the midwifes instructions. We have 2 droppers, one of them comes apart, and that's the one we used to administer the drops.
#16 of 25 Old 08-02-2007, 01:19 PM

I never used or needed anything of the sort.

-Angela
#17 of 25 Old 08-02-2007, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We had the saline drops. I'd have them on hand just in case. Sterile (unlike homemade ones), cheap and easy. Don't forget, Dad may have to do some first aid on occasion, always good to have alternatives to BM!

DD wasn't gassy, so we never had to deal with that. We do have infant Calpol (Tylenol) that she's had a few times (she's had her jabs and one of them made her a little feverish and cranky).

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#18 of 25 Old 08-02-2007, 04:18 PM

Gripe water didn't do a thing for us, but we're huge fans of Hyland's colic tablets (others have mentioned their teething tablets as well).
#19 of 25 Old 08-02-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Don't forget, Dad may have to do some first aid on occasion, always good to have alternatives to BM!
Unless mom chooses not to leave baby I didn't leave dd with dh until around 18 months.

-Angela
#20 of 25 Old 08-02-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Don't forget, Dad may have to do some first aid on occasion, always good to have alternatives to BM!
Or you could keep some expressed milk in the fridge and rotate it as needed.

For me though, I am always less than a 15 minute drive from home, if DD is alone with DH. If her ailment can't wait 15 minutes for breastmilk then it's likely something requiring medical attention and in that case I'd meet them at the hospital.

#21 of 25 Old 08-03-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Unless mom chooses not to leave baby I didn't leave dd with dh until around 18 months.

-Angela
Yes, of course, but some of us have to lower our standards enough to allow daddy to take a shift sometimes. Not his fault he doesn't have boobs, and I'd hate to put him in the situation of not being able to help the baby if me and my wonder-bags weren't available.

I also keep a little tube of Aquaphor around now that she's always scratching herself. And I have the best little rectal thermometer, it's digital and kind of bulb-shaped, so it can't go in too far, and really fast. It was about $10 and I hesitated a bit because it was more expensive than the other options, but the first time I had to take her temp at 2 a.m. with her wiggling all over the place, I knew it was worth it!
#22 of 25 Old 08-03-2007, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I went and splurged on one of the Braun ThermoScan thermometers. Quick is good, especially once they become wriggly toddlers. Not having to stick the thermometer up her bum, even better.

Also, one of those bulb things for sucking out their noses, very useful.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#23 of 25 Old 08-03-2007, 04:28 PM

I used the saline drops because it was really hard to aim my breasts into ds's nose.:

i think the mylicon drops are not super helpful though.

i haven't used artificial fever reducers with him. ( i did w/ dd ) just tepid baths. although waiting out a 104 degree temp was nerve wracking.

i have one of the ear thermometers wich was a bit of a splurge for us but worth it for the speed and ease of use. i like knowing what the temp is doing yk?

hth
#24 of 25 Old 08-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Banned

Gripe water was very helpful here, as was lukewarm chamomile tea. We didn't use mylicon drops more than once because gripe water worked so much better but be sure and check the label for alcohol.

Breastmilk is great for a lot of stuff but I had a problem hand expressing it, so we used saline water. In the beginning, breastfeeding and doing skin to skin -aka waiting out fevers- was all we did.

And most moms leave DC with their DP for a little while (a half an hour at the grocery store can be heaven!) so having something on hand so that your DP feels competent would be great. YMMV of course.

Oh, and we splurged on the ear thermometer. Great investment.
#25 of 25 Old 08-05-2007, 05:42 PM

I have the saline mist and infant Tylenol, but nothing else so far. My son hasn't had any problems with gas that burping and a tummy rub haven't been able to fix (knock on wood.......).

My pediatrician recommended those 2, and then pick up other stuff as needed. Personally, I'm not too worried about neosporin etc - soap and water will do for most little cuts. Aloe for a small burn (if I don't manage to kill the silly plant again.......)

Just my thoughts..

Jen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page