baby with ringworm - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-03-2007, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So my baby has ringworm on her bottom. We took her to the doctor and actually the doctor just called it a fungal infection, but it looks like classic ringworm. She told us to put lotrimin on it and that was really all she said about it. She didn't say we needed to keep the baby away from any one else or anything. So the other day we were supposed to go swimming with friends who have a baby the same age as dd (6mo) but I suggested we go to the park instead because I didn't think being in a wet swim diaper would help with healing the ringworm. The mother told me she would prefer we didn't get together at all until the ringworm cleared up. I explained that it was only in one spot on her bottom that is totally covered by her diaper and her clothes so it wouldn't be coming in contact with her child or even with any surfaces her child would be in contact with. But she still was uncomfortable. But now I'm wondering if the baby shouldn't be going anywhere at all. I mean if the other mom's at kindermusik class knew she had ringworm would they make us stay home. I really don't feel like anyone else is in danger since it is so well covered, but am I wrong? I'm starting to feel very depressed at the idea of having to stay home with her everyday until it clears up. The article I read said that the kind of ringworm people get on the body (as opposed to the scalp) is only mildly contagious and you just need to avoid contact with the rash and any blankets, clothing or other surfaces the rash has touched. So I haven't told anyone else that she has it because I'm afraid they'll not want to hang out with us either. The whole situation has me feeling very depressed.

Also I've been putting the lotrimin on the spot (its about the size of a dime) during every diaper change since Tuesday(today is friday) and I haven't seen a change is there anything else I can try?

Thirdly, we use cloth diapers and I want to make sure I'm washing them properly so the ringworm doesn't come back from using the diapers. Is there anything special I need to do to the diapers to make sure the ringworm doesn't stay on them?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#2 of 7 Old 08-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmmm. I don't know if I have any answers for you, but I wanted to respond since I read it! I'm sorry no one wants to hang out with you. I am a very low freak out mom myself. I only concern myself with stuff that is truly worth worrying about so I'm sorry we don't know one another in IRL. I would hang out with ya! I know as a parent everyone needs to do what they feel most comfortable with and what is best for their family.... but if we stayed home and away from folks every time someone had "something" we'd all be quarantined! I hope you can get out and about soon and the fungal/ringworm clears up. As far as your cloth diapers I would just wash on hot and use a vinegar rinse that should help with any lingering issues. Hope this helps...
Jessica
#3 of 7 Old 08-04-2007, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks tatooed mama, I wish I knew you in real life too. The vinegar on the diapers makes sense. Hopefully the ringworm will clear up soon.

#4 of 7 Old 08-04-2007, 08:47 AM

I wouldn't be worried about it spreading to my child either. My ds has a rash too and I still take him everywhere.

I could be wrong, but it would only spread to others if you were to do something like sharing towels.

The best way I have found to help make my ds's rash to clear up is to give him lots of air time. That seems to work better than anti-fungal creams.
#5 of 7 Old 08-04-2007, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You definitely don't need to stay in your house, ringworm is so common. We went through a nasty case of ringworm last year, mainly just DD1 and I. You can use TTO on it, that worked for some of mine, I was covered in it, but had some stubborn patches that I finally had to breakdown and use anti-fungal cream on. I eventually had to take DD1 in and get oral anti-fungal meds because the ringworm had gotten up her her scalp and hair follicles, and at that point topical meds don't work anymore. But like I said, we were coated in ringworm, our kitten had come with it, unknown to us, and the meds didn't work on her so it took several months to finally fit the right treatment for her and us by that time. Many of DD1's friends got it, from the kitten, not us, and all of them got rid of it very quickly since it was just a patch or two. Good luck.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#6 of 7 Old 08-04-2007, 06:05 PM

i had it about 10 years ago below my neck where my ferret scratched me. they said that he had feces under his nails and when he scratched me that it went into my skin and caused the fungus to get in. I hope it goes away soon and I'd say u shouldn't tell anyone else cause they will probably think you all have worms Ringworm sounds so much worse than it really is. I always thought it was real worms until i had it and the doc told me otherwise. before that lady said she didn't want to be around u all. she should have looked it up to find info so she would realize it isn't a big deal. hope it clears up soon.

::
#7 of 7 Old 08-04-2007, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
before that lady said she didn't want to be around u all. she should have looked it up to find info so she would realize it isn't a big deal. hope it clears up soon.

The thing is I think she did look it up online, because she said she read online that is really contagious even with indirect contact. But I think she misunderstood "indirect contact" to mean just hanging out with the baby. It really refers to items that come in contact with the rash. If they touch my baby's used diaper (because in our case its on her bum) and then don't wash their hands then they might be at risk of contracting it, but really that would never happen. Also I think the info online isn't always 100% accurate because she said she read that it was very contagious, and I read an article saying it was only mildly contagious. Also when I was a preschool teacher we had an incident where a boy had ringworm on his cheek and we sent him home from school, but after we spoke to his ped, as well as another parent who was also a doctor they said as long as the rash was kept covered there wasn't really a risk of others catching it.

Anyway thanks for the support. I'm going to try the tto since so far using just the cream hasn't seemed to help much. Does anyone know how long it should take to clear up?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page