reasons to NOT use baby orajel? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My LO is going through horrible teething pain. I have heard it is bad to use orajel...why please help!!!!
#2 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 05:38 PM

We had it in the house when my son was a baby, but before he was teething. One night, I had a really painful hang-nail so I put some baby orajel on it. It worked GREAT and took the pain right away. BUT, it also took off all of my nail polish.

Also, it is only topical and only works on the actual gum. Usually the pain they feel is the tooth working through the bone and numbing the gum won't really help and it will make them feel weird.

Try Hylands teething tablets.
#3 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

i have been useing hylands but they aren'e helpping this time
#4 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 05:40 PM

Doesn't work fr more than 10 min and you can't give it more than every 4 hrs. Worthless unless you need min to get baby to latch.
#5 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Our ped told us not to use it because some kids had an issue with eating immediately after use. If swallowed, it can paralyze the esophagus which can lead to choking. I think our ped said there was one or more deaths linked to this type of situation.
#6 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 07:48 PM

I've never used it on my kids because I tried it and I couldn't stand the way it felt.
#7 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I tried it on my wisdom tooth pain and it did NOTHING for the pain, though it did make my tongue numb. I tried it on my oldest when she was teething for the first time, and it made her cry louder and harder- obviously it made her feel worse, not better.

Another reason not to use it is that it contains synthetic colors and flavors. Some kids get behavioral reactions to these. In an infant, this can mean more fussiness and difficulty falling asleep, whether they're still in pain or not.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#8 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 08:11 PM

Every time we tried to give it to ds he puked - a lot. We only tried twice. I like Boirons Camillia (at Whole Foods) or Motrin if the pain is really bad b/c it helps with the inflammation.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#9 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel L View Post
Our ped told us not to use it because some kids had an issue with eating immediately after use. If swallowed, it can paralyze the esophagus which can lead to choking. I think our ped said there was one or more deaths linked to this type of situation.
:

I've used oragel when plucking my eyebrows before

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#10 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 08:42 PM

Worked great on my canker sore
#11 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
:

I've used oragel when plucking my eyebrows before
I'm going to try that tonight! I have some which was given to me. I tried it once with ds and he was horrified. He obviously didn't understand what happened to his tongue and started screaming. I tried to nurse him but I think his tongue was numb and he couldn't figure out how to nurse. It was awful. Hylands also has gel, but I haven't tried it.
#12 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 10:56 PM

I personally like oragel for myself when I have a sore tooth. But I think its because my soreness is from clenching my jaw, and this helps me to relax.

And I once used it on a bee sting, on a kid at a camp I worked at. The oragel worked wonders, so now I stock it in my emergency first aid kit.

I don't know any reasons not to use it, I just felt the odd compulsion to derail the thread by mentioning its use in bee sting incidences.
#13 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 10:59 PM

I personally never used orajel on our two sons, just the Hylands teething tablets and their gel, mostly though just the tablets. They worked awesome!
#14 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 11:24 PM

I've tried Orajel on myself and it would always numb my tongue and the back of my throat (no jokes) instead of the actual tooth. Plus, it would wear off after fifteen minutes. I have Hyland's teething gel, but it has parabens which I'm not crazy about. My hubby uses the Hyland's gel on himself and I stick to the tablets with David. If the tablets don't work, I try Gripe Water.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#15 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does the hyland's gel work on cancer sores? If not, is there a version of orajel that's free of synthetic dyes and flavors?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#16 of 17 Old 08-06-2007, 04:41 AM

Now, I have hyper-sensitive skin, as do my kids. We used Baby Orajel all of ONCE, and it made DD SCREAM bloody murder. I couldn't figure out why a topical anesthetic would make her cry in pain... until I tried it myself.. it stung like you wouldn't believe! It almost made ME cry, it stung so bad.

After that, I threw out the tube. What good was it doing if it was causing her more pain on top of teething?
#17 of 17 Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 AM

I just wanted to add, it doesn't really work. I put some on my tongue before trying it with DS and it made my tongue a little numb for only about 15 mintues. I can't see how it would give a baby hours of relief unless you use a tube in one sitting! But, then again, not much of anything (even Tylenol and Motrin) ever seemed to help DS.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page