Multivitamins??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-09-2003, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to this forum and have really enjoyed the discussion. It is so nice to find a community of supportive AP mommies. I am a SAHM to an 8 month old breastfeeding, co-sleeping DS.

At my son's last (6 month) well baby visit, the Dr prescribed a multivitamin for him based on the fact that we use bottled water (I never give him water to drink anyway) and I keep him out of the sun. She is most concerned about vit D and flouride. Since this visit I've made a point to get him some sun everyday and have done some reading on vit D. I have no idea about the flouride issue though. I really want to avoid giving him the multivitamin just because I hate the idea of giving him anything extra. He still nurses mostly and takes a few solids at 8 months. His biggest issue with the solids is constipation and so I'm seriously worried about the iron in a mutivit.

Am I doing him a disservice by not giving him the vitamin? I don't want to ruin his teeth. Has anyone else dealt with this? I have not filled the script and I'm not planning to at this point.

Beth
#2 of 3 Old 07-10-2003, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, Beth! Let me first say...

As for your questions: I think you are right to be concerned about giving your ds a multivitamin, and good for you for questioning the doctor!! Iron is a concern in multivitamins - it is constipating and hard on a baby's system, especially one who is BF'd and just starting on the solids.

The vitamin D issue can be resolved by regularly getting your baby out and exposed to sunlight - even just a few minutes a day is fine. There are a few websites that discuss this issue, and I believe www.drjaygordon.com is one of them.

As for flouride, I'm confused there. I thought babies weren't supposd to have any flouride until they were at least a year old. My baby's toothpaste specifically says "flouride free".

Now, as moderator of this forum I'm going to move your thread to our "Life with a Babe" forum. You should get lots of answers there from mamas who have been there or who are going through this, too.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 3 Old 07-13-2003, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
YOu may want to continue to do more research on flouride since it is still debateable whether it is really necessary as a supplement.

Although I cannot get any dentists to agree with me, including my own sister, a DDS diplomate, I feel that diet and hygiene play a bigger role in dental decay than flouride supplements.

I never had any cavities until age 25 without flouride and my own children are cary-free ... without flouride toothpaste and supplements (pills and water), but they did receive flouride treatments from the DDS once a year since, as I said, no one listens to me. No dentist would treat them without them.

Sunlight is a fine alternative to vitamin D pills.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page