Born Free vs. Evenflo Glass Bottles - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 08-07-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a reason I should buy Born Free glass bottles, which are several times more expensive than Evenflo?

I'm trying to research online, checking out the nipples, etc., but not having a lot of luck.

We won't be needing these for the first month or so, until I get pumping established.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#2 of 46 Old 08-07-2007, 07:14 PM

I was one of those stupid people who bought the born free glass bottles because I couldn't find the Evenflo ones...then a week later, I went to babies R Us, and there were loads of the evenflo glass so I bought those, and the medela pump fits well on the evenflo ...I don't think there is any difference...glass is glass..no Bisphenal A in either one, which is the main concern.
#3 of 46 Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

DH just ordered the evenflo bottles.

I was SO impressed that he looked up glass bottles yesterday. He had the born free page open on his computer. We decided that there was no reason for the extra expense. Also, an online review said that the Evenflo bottles are compatible with the Medela, which is likely to be the pump I use.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#4 of 46 Old 08-07-2007, 07:26 PM

I used the evenflo glass ones and they were wonderful.
#5 of 46 Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 PM

Another vote for the evenflo bottles, I have a medela pump...it all works together wonderfully.
#6 of 46 Old 08-07-2007, 10:14 PM

We are exclusively formula feeding (eczema meds issue, don't ask) and have been using the Evenflo glass bottles - they are great. It's been 11 weeks, and frankly they are working really well for us. We use them with Nuk nipples. I bought them at babies r us. I love the fact that I can sterilize (yes, the old fashioned way in a pot of boiling water) and not worry about plastic breakdown, etc., esp since we use them every day. The one bit of advice I have - don't bother with the 4 oz bottles. Just go straight to the 8 oz bottles, and if you don't need the volume just fill up to that amount. We wasted some money buying the 4 oz bottles and 8 oz bottles, and we only used the 4 oz bottles for a month.
#7 of 46 Old 08-07-2007, 11:32 PM

I use the Evenflo glass bottles... I purchased them at Babies R Us. I also use the Medela PIS pump (also purchased at Babies R Us) and they work great together. I purchased separate nipples for the bottles since I don't like the ones that come with the bottles. I, too, sterilize them in a pot of h2o on the stovetop (the old-fashioned) way. No complaints, very happy.

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#8 of 46 Old 08-09-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessma View Post
The one bit of advice I have - don't bother with the 4 oz bottles. Just go straight to the 8 oz bottles, and if you don't need the volume just fill up to that amount. We wasted some money buying the 4 oz bottles and 8 oz bottles, and we only used the 4 oz bottles for a month.
I just wanted to chime in here. We are actually still using 2oz bottles and Punkin is 3 months old! Our 4oz ones should last quite a while. It just depends on your babes eating pattern, I guess.
#9 of 46 Old 08-10-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
We are exclusively formula feeding (eczema meds issue, don't ask) and have been using the Evenflo glass bottles - they are great. It's been 11 weeks, and frankly they are working really well for us. We use them with Nuk nipples. I bought them at babies r us. I love the fact that I can sterilize (yes, the old fashioned way in a pot of boiling water) and not worry about plastic breakdown, etc., esp since we use them every day. The one bit of advice I have - don't bother with the 4 oz bottles. Just go straight to the 8 oz bottles, and if you don't need the volume just fill up to that amount. We wasted some money buying the 4 oz bottles and 8 oz bottles, and we only used the 4 oz bottles for a month.
I just wanted to say that ds is 6.5 months old and we still only use the 4 oz bottles for the days he is at daycare. He drinks about 3 of them in 8 hours.
#10 of 46 Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 AM

Great post......I have been wondering the exact same thing. Almost broke down and bought the born free last night online but couldn't figure out the difference between that and evenflo. Thanks.
#11 of 46 Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 PM

What kinds of nipples fit on the evenflows? We currently use Second Nature nipples on Avents and love the nipples.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#12 of 46 Old 08-12-2007, 12:09 AM

The Born Free nipples are advertised as "non-estrogenic." Are the EvenFlow non-estrogenic? The Born Free nipples are shaped similar to Avent nipples but are a little different.

Anybody know on BPA-free teething toys?
#13 of 46 Old 08-14-2007, 03:11 AM

Hi! We're using glass bottles now but I think we're almost done with bottles. What is working for older infants moving on from the bottle, eg alternatives to plastic sippy cups? We tried the Born Free drinking and training cups and they leak out the top of the spout. Also any recommendations for spoons? Do you use metal to avoid the plastic? I would love to hear all your suggestions.

Thanks!
Debra
#14 of 46 Old 08-14-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbvernon View Post
Hi! We're using glass bottles now but I think we're almost done with bottles. What is working for older infants moving on from the bottle, eg alternatives to plastic sippy cups? We tried the Born Free drinking and training cups and they leak out the top of the spout. Also any recommendations for spoons? Do you use metal to avoid the plastic? I would love to hear all your suggestions.

Thanks!
Debra
I highly recommend the Klean Kanteen stainless steel sippy! My son's had his for 10 mos. and we recently switched the lid from a sippy to a sports top, so he'll be able to use it forever.
We didn't need baby spoons since we let the little guy self-feed from the start, so he just used his hands. Now that he's old enough to use utensils, he just uses small metal utensils.
#15 of 46 Old 08-17-2007, 10:09 AM

Bumping this thread to hear any other suggestions about toys or anything else. I just threw away a bunch of stuff... I didn't realize BPA was in the HARD clear plastics. For some reason I thought the dangerous plastics were the softer ones when it's the opposite!

For any moms who are breastfeeding *and* using bottles, the playtex drop-ins are supposed to be safe and BPA free, and the natural latch nipples are available in natural latex.
#16 of 46 Old 08-17-2007, 11:31 AM

I am so glad I found this. I was wondering what nipples to use. I am currently using Advent bottles and nipples but switching to evenflow glass today. I am glad to hear the bottles fit the medela pump. Are the advent nipples harmful and it is bad for me to freez my milk in the plastic storage bags? Please help.

Melissa-:,:,, mama to Madyson (11-18-06) and Maisie (5-20-09). DW to Doug (10-23-04).
#17 of 46 Old 08-17-2007, 11:34 AM

I think the storage bags are ok. It's the hard clear plastics you have to worry about, and anything with a 7 recycling number. The Avent bottles are definitely bad. Here are a few links you might find helpful...

http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2007/07/z-...carbonate.html

http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2007/05/si...ree-sippy.html
#18 of 46 Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 PM

From what I have read, our gerber seal n go bags are ok. I feel awful because I just threw one of our avent bottles in the freezer instead of using the bag. Is anyone else having a "everything we do is killing us" kind of day? I only thought ds's sippy cup (not clear) was ok until I found the evil 7 on it. I am also getting mad that none of our sippy/sports cup (none clear) have numbers on them. I think we just need the klean kanteen. We just got back from a trip to babies r us and whole foods with new bottles ourselves. We rarely use bottles, but my parents are babysitting for a baby-free date night.
#19 of 46 Old 08-17-2007, 06:12 PM

So, are bottles with drop ins okay?? DS is 4 months old, and he has had 3 or 4 bottles so far in the Avent Tempo bottles with the plastic collapsible liners...Are they okay or do I need to throw them out?

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#20 of 46 Old 08-17-2007, 06:46 PM

to the pp that asked about spoons, we also let DS maily self feed, but for soups we use bamboo spoons. We also have bamboo forks and plates for when he is older.
#21 of 46 Old 08-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
to the pp that asked about spoons, we also let DS maily self feed, but for soups we use bamboo spoons. We also have bamboo forks and plates for when he is older.
Is bamboo the most versatile thing on earth? Food, floors, diapers, forks....

The drop ins are on the border.
http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2007/07/z-...carbonate.html
#22 of 46 Old 08-18-2007, 02:01 PM

We're using BornFree glass bottles right now, and I love them! We started out with Evenflo glass, but my son has had pretty bad reflux and those flowed too fast for him and didn't vent very well. The bornfree are perfect and have been great for his reflux. For us it was well worth the cost. I only bought 6 and kept a few evenflo for emergencies.
They should be compatible with the second nature nipples I'm not sure though. They are compatible with Avent nipples.
If your lo does great with the evenflo i'd stick with those, you can also use any standard size nipples with them.
#23 of 46 Old 08-18-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I used bottles for EBM until DD was about 10 months old, and we never used a 9 ounce bottle, all 4 ounces ones. I think it's to do with them being used to drinking smaller amounts at the breast, but more frequently. I tend to see a lot of exlusively bottle fed babies drinking larger amounts.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#24 of 46 Old 08-24-2007, 04:51 PM

Bump!

Has anyone successfully had their LO switch from a wide-mouth bottle (like the Avent ones) to the Evenflo glass? I would love to ditch our Gerber Comforthold bottles, but DS has been doing so well on them that I am worried that the switch to a much smaller nipple would be hard for him to handle.

Thanks in advance!

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#25 of 46 Old 08-24-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post
Bump!

Has anyone successfully had their LO switch from a wide-mouth bottle (like the Avent ones) to the Evenflo glass? I would love to ditch our Gerber Comforthold bottles, but DS has been doing so well on them that I am worried that the switch to a much smaller nipple would be hard for him to handle.

Thanks in advance!
We tried the smaller mouthed bottles, but all the nipples (we tried a few) seem to flow too fast. The soothie small nipples worked the best for us though. The born free accept the larger mouthed nipples so we may just stick with those. She still likes avent nipples the best.
#26 of 46 Old 08-24-2007, 08:58 PM

Okay, so just to double check - the Born Free glass bottles are wide-mouthed and accept Avent nipples?

There is a store that stocks them located about 20 minutes from our place, and I want to be sure I've got my facts straight before I head over there tomorrow.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#27 of 46 Old 08-25-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post
Okay, so just to double check - the Born Free glass bottles are wide-mouthed and accept Avent nipples?

There is a store that stocks them located about 20 minutes from our place, and I want to be sure I've got my facts straight before I head over there tomorrow.
I want to know this too....

Mama to Charlotte (2/14/07) and Julian (11/27/10) both born at home.
#28 of 46 Old 08-25-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBear View Post
I just wanted to chime in here. We are actually still using 2oz bottles and Punkin is 3 months old! Our 4oz ones should last quite a while. It just depends on your babes eating pattern, I guess.
I think the reason for the difference is, the PP formula feeds. Formula feed babies eat more at one sitting. I remember when my dd was six months old, she would eat 6oz at her night time feedings! I never used the 4 oz bottles very long with my FF babies.

Now my BF babies, DD2 I never used the 8oz bottles until she was a toddler. And then she only used them when she was at grandma's for naptime or she needed comfort when I wasn't around.

With DS I bought these bottles because they are supposed to be BPA free.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000C4OPJQ

Unfortunatly they come with newborn nipples and I have a very fast letdown. So DS is used to a fast flow and these just PO him. I have yet to find these bottles in a store or replacement nipples. I was going to order them from Sassy's website but they wanted MORE to ship them than for the nipples themselves. I never thought of buying a different brand nipple to put on them. Of course the shape of these nipples were one of the reasons I bought them. They are supposed to be "more like breast." I wonder if I should just make the hole bigger myself.

Oh and for sippy cups.. I use the born free plastic one. But again, often ds likes me to just hold the cup and let him drink some water out of a coffee mug.
#29 of 46 Old 08-26-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahLi View Post
We're using BornFree glass bottles right now, and I love them! We started out with Evenflo glass, but my son has had pretty bad reflux and those flowed too fast for him and didn't vent very well. The bornfree are perfect and have been great for his reflux. For us it was well worth the cost. I only bought 6 and kept a few evenflo for emergencies.
They should be compatible with the second nature nipples I'm not sure though. They are compatible with Avent nipples.
If your lo does great with the evenflo i'd stick with those, you can also use any standard size nipples with them.
Just to report, the Born Free bottles are NOT compatible with the Second Nature nipples but are compatible with the Avent. The venting on the Second Nature nipples make it leak...darn!

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#30 of 46 Old 08-27-2007, 12:29 AM

I switched from avent to the evenflow glass bottles. We tried replacing the yellow rubber nipples with the silicone (clear) platex nipples, but DS didn't take them well. Then we tried the Medela nipples (which fit the evenflo bottles perfectly) and he took them like a charm, better than with the evenflo or avent nipples. But each babe is different. DS had never had a bottle of EBM until around 4 months.

I'd just bought the re-usable avent breast milk containers thinking it was less "disposable" than the bags. Now I don't even want to use them - just been freezing my milk in the glass bottles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page