how old was your babe when he/she gave up nursing to sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2003, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering, while lying down today with my darling 9 m.o. daughter as she napped. Guess i want to put things in perspective. i was trying to do the Pantley pull-off thing for a while and had a bit of success but guess i wasn't consistent and also dd seems to be resisting it and now more than ever insists on sleeping with nipple in mouth. I want to put it in perspective cos part of me really enjoys this quiet time with her and part of me is thinking 'i could be doing this and that and this while she's napping'. so that second part of me wants to know how long this would last if i just let it run its course, so i can judge if i want to be a bit more persistent with getting her to sleep by herself. she does actually sleep by herself but usually only after an hour when she rolls over with her back to me - but by then there's only half an hour of her 1 1/2 hour nap left. Also soon we'll be switching to the larger size car seat and i won't be able to carry her inside when she's asleep - so all my naps will be with her. it's funny but when she falls asleep in the car seat she sleep 1 1/2 hours straight through, but when i nurse her to sleep she wants me there when she stirs after 40 mins.
What was your experience re breast-fixation and age of babe? if i just let it go on, will she be doing this when she's two?
Istamama.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2003, 09:28 PM

have you tried nursing her in a sling? i guess she may be too heavy for a sling, but i wonder if another kind of carrier might work? my 11-week-old ds now takes all his daytime naps in the nojo. it liberated me to get things done while he's sleeping. when he fusses in his sleep, i latch him on as if we're co-sleeping, i.e before he fully wakes up. then he's zzzz again. sometimes i have to bounce him while nursing, but this has worked well for us.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:29 PM

my ds was nearly four when he gave it up

i do know what you mean about feeling like you could be doing something else, but try to relax and enjoy the time together--it really goes by fast. i can't say i didn't have times when i got really frustrated about nursing him to sleep (times when i hadn't a chance to eat or go to the bathroom, for instance), but overall, i'm glad we did it as long as we did.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
DD #1 was 4 at the same time she weaned, DD#2 was 3.5 (weaned at 4), DS is 3.5 and still nursing to sleep at night.

Deborah

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 07-11-2003, 11:47 AM

dd was 2 1/2 -and that was because we weaned when I was pg

I'd have to second what mshollyk said-relax and enjoy it, it can sometimes feel like a waste of time-but even if it does last for 3 or 4 more years-that's nothing

with 2 I hardly ever get to be latched on and napping with my ds

that time really is like gold

ps- my 3 year old is in a big carseat and when she falls asleep in it I can usually unbuckle her and keep her napping after I transfer her

User Tag List