Baby gas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-17-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please help!! DS has really painful gas. He's 12 weeks old and cries til he's blue in the face a few times a day. Started at 6pm when he was 5 wks. Then moved to the 5am grunting-straining-crying. Now he has those plus a few more episodes during the day. It lasts about an hour each time. What can I do? I tried eliminating dairy and that didn't work. Mylecon helps a tiny bit sometimes. Do I just has to wait for him to outgrow it? And when does that happen?

Thanks mamas!!
#2 of 11 Old 08-17-2007, 04:04 PM

Try giving him some probiotics, as they tend to help with intestinal issues. Also, get some peppermint EO & massage his belly with it. Be sure to dilute it first, though. Take about a dime sized amount of a carrier oil (olive, jobajoba, coconut, etc.) & add 3-4 drops of the peppermint EO. Make sure it's good quality EO (definitely organic).

GL! I hope he feels better soon.

Shannon
#3 of 11 Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 PM

Gripe water has helped my son tremendously with his gas. It's sold in healthfood stores and co-ops, and is all natural. Different brands have different ingrediants. I use Baby Bliss brand, which has fennel, ginger and sdium bicarbonate. He's grown to love the flavor. Just drinking the Gripe water chills him out so that he usually stops crying or fussing. Some combination of the relaxation and the ingrediants causes him to poop or pas gas within minutes - anywhere from 2-20 minutes until he's feeling better. You can give it to your babe several times a day, whenever his gas is making him uncomfortable.
Also, bicycling his legs and gently pressing his thighs into his belly helps him release gas.
My 13 week old has had bad gas since he was about 2 weeks old. He seems to be having an easier time of it these last couple of days, so I'm hopeful he's growing out of it.
#4 of 11 Old 08-17-2007, 04:44 PM

Baby massage! Really, it's great. We went to a class with a wonderful teacher. She ran us through a routine for gassy babies and it was so funny. My DS immediately starts passing gas, and just keeps at it on and off for the next hour, no pain and no screaming. It was fantastic. The basics are to use a relatively firm pressure, no tickling, and go clockwise, the way the intestines circle.
#5 of 11 Old 08-17-2007, 04:48 PM

I second the peppermint oil, but use very sparringly as it can irritate a babies delicate skin. Also drinking peppermint tea and chamomile tea yourself (really drinking a lot of it, helps as it is passed through your breastmilk, also fennel seeds, you could chew (eat them) or make a tea from them, this really does help. Dill is good for babie digestion too. You could mix all of these ingrediants together into a tea and drink several cups a day yourself.

Peppermint
chamomile
fennel
dill

Hope that helps

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#6 of 11 Old 08-17-2007, 06:20 PM

my dd (12 weeks) has struggled with painful gas or something digestive too. For me cutting out dairy has helped a lot...not sure how long you tried but it takes over a week to completely leave the system.

I also eliminated chocolate, which not only has caffeine (an irritant) but is also a really complex food to digest (according to my herbalist friend).

It has really been hard on me to give up such goodies as delicious cheeses and rich chocolate ice cream, but not having to deal with a screaming, crying, and in pain daughter has made it more than worthwhile.

I also use mylicon and gripe water at times with mixed success.

regardless. I hear you! Hope things get better for you and your dc.
#7 of 11 Old 08-17-2007, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Any idea what mucousy poop means. It's king of slimey...yuck, I know. It's yellow but mucousy. What is that?
#8 of 11 Old 08-17-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
Any idea what mucousy poop means. It's king of slimey...yuck, I know. It's yellow but mucousy. What is that?
With dd, it was cow dairy intolerance. (From me eating dairy)

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#9 of 11 Old 08-17-2007, 10:04 PM

I also agree that drinking any of the teas mentioned might help, and also the massage, but what I found completely eliminated the problem was to take babe to a pediatric chiropractor. We brought ds1 in screaming and handed him to our chiro; she held him gently against her chest and adjusted him with her fingertips at which point he completely relaxed, stopped crying altogether and fell peacefully asleep within a few minutes. His breathing was much deeper too. We brought him daily for that week (our first visit was Monday) and then once/week for the next two weeks.

He never had the problem again. He didn't even scream after the first appointment, and his discomfort dissipated after the first two or three, then it was gone.

I learned how to fingertip adjust our babies and have them checked right after by our chiro and we have not had the problem persist past our recognition of it for any of them.

I drank peppermint when ds3 was suddenly spitting up more than usual and seemed a little out of sorts. He seemed to fell better within a few hours and was back to his normal active self.

I highly recommend chiropractic for babies. Unfortunately, many people don't understand it well enough to know that it is both safe and effective for little ones (as long as you find a skilled practitioner, of course). I've seen so many of our friends' babes suffer for months when I really think they would at least have benefitted from chiro, but they were all afraid and against chiro for their babes, thinking we were insane to bring ours to see one.

Maybe you'll try it?

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#10 of 11 Old 08-17-2007, 11:32 PM

ditto on the massage. The Sears book describes the "I Love You" massage, also on this page (found with quick google - I know, it's from a mainstream source...but it IS Dr. Sears!) http://www.parenting.com/parenting/a...648182,00.html
You could also try fennel tea for baby - we'd steep some every couple of days and keep in fridge, then gave an eyedropperful after feeding and it helped a bit.
Good luck. It's awful to see your dc in pain from gas...I hope you find a solution that works for you.
#11 of 11 Old 08-17-2007, 11:54 PM

Be careful with Mamas drinking Peppermint tea it can decrease your milk supply .

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmama3-7 View Post
I second the peppermint oil, but use very sparringly as it can irritate a babies delicate skin. Also drinking peppermint tea and chamomile tea yourself (really drinking a lot of it, helps as it is passed through your breastmilk, also fennel seeds, you could chew (eat them) or make a tea from them, this really does help. Dill is good for babie digestion too. You could mix all of these ingrediants together into a tea and drink several cups a day yourself.

Peppermint
chamomile
fennel
dill

Hope that helps

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page