Baby has horrbile bug bites--anything I can do?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-13-2003, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of my 5-month-olds seems to be allergic to whatever it is that's biting him. He's got six huge bites (three on his forehead, one on his toe, one on the back of his head, and one on his leg). They're all as wide as a dime and really swollen. I don't know when or where he got them, but they're probably mosquito bites. Anyway, today is day 3, and they don't seem to be getting any better. Is there anything I can do to help them heal?

Also, anyone know of a baby-friendly insect repellent?

Thanks!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#2 of 6 Old 07-13-2003, 11:19 AM

*ouch*

Mine is really sensitive too. I put arnica gel on bad bug bites starting around the age yours are. It worked really well.

We have had a lot of success with Bite Blocker for Kids...active ingredient soy oil. We live in the land of many biting bugs and now that dc is 2.75 y. o. we are compelled to live outside while she "develops her gross motor skills" running about.

Do you have a good coop or natural food store near you? That might be a good place to start.

Those bites sound wicked!
#3 of 6 Old 07-14-2003, 11:44 AM

I agree about arnica gel. You can also try a paste made from homeopathic Rhus Tox tablets. They have to be the kind that will melt, the ones in the square bottle, not the blue tube. I don't know that I'd put bug spray on a baby before six months, but we use "Buzz Away" from the health food store.

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#4 of 6 Old 07-14-2003, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
dd gets mosquito bites all the time. i hate it, but today i tried a new (to me) natural remedy and it seems to have worked great! it's plaintain weed. not the banana thing, but the weed that we used to play with as kids and shoot the tops off. you just pick a leaf and smush it up til it gets juicy and rub the juice on the bite. it really seemed to take the red and swelling away from dd's bites. i knew we had some growing in the front yard, so if you have any near you, you might give it a try. here's a link with a picture -- http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/tips/27tip2.html .

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#5 of 6 Old 07-14-2003, 05:54 PM

Lavendar oil will help soothe and heal up the bug bites. I do it on myself all the time, and lavendar is just fine for babies. If you use the essential oil, just dilute it a little bit in a plain oil like olive.

I just discovered Buzz Away and like it for myself, its kind of strong smelling though. I don't really have any other suggestions there.

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#6 of 6 Old 07-21-2003, 08:30 PM

Witchhazel works well to take away the itch and inflammation. the drugstore variety has alcohol but i got some in the health food store that is water based - or buy witchhazel bark and simmer it for a couple of hours in a little water.
Istamama.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page