Thrush??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-14-2003, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the best way to get rid of it?

We have been lazily trying to get rid of it for a month now. I don't want to use the nystatin the Dr prescribed because DD is on heart meds and that is enough for her for now. I have been doing a vinegar wash but that doesn't seem to be getting rid of it. Some relief but not total.

Thanks for any tips.

Christi
DS1(12), DD(7)blessed with T21, DS2(2), and DD2 - newly arrived 1/28/11
#2 of 7 Old 07-14-2003, 03:24 PM

boy can I relate. Have had it 3 times. Gentian Violet is what finally knocked it our for us. It is messy though but works well and cheap. It will dye everything purple !! You only use it for 3-4 days max. Search here at Mothering, there is a great article on treating thrush naturally. Also, garlic and acidophilous will help too. I have heard grapefruit seed extract too but never used it so don't know the dosage. Good Luck
#3 of 7 Old 07-14-2003, 05:48 PM

Nyastatin and Gentian Violet didn't work for us, but acidophilus did the trick. I take a dose of a 'mega' acidolphilus supplement once a day - took about a week for my symptoms to disappear and about 2 weeks before I noticed a cleaning in DS's mouth. He's been totally clear for about a month. I continue to take the supplement as a preventative/probiotic measure.

Good luck - we struggled with thrush from (almost) day 1 until he was about 3 months old (when he mouth cleared).
#4 of 7 Old 07-14-2003, 08:16 PM

We cleared it up with Gentian Violet. Got it at Walmart for $1.46! Worked wonderful and quickly - 3 days and *gone*. Nystatin didn't work for us and I'm too lazy to keep up with the acidophilus .
#5 of 7 Old 07-14-2003, 08:24 PM

Ugh. Thrush. We have it too. It's been almost 5 months now. We've tried everything: nystatin, diflucan, gentian violet, GSE (grapefruit seed extract), vinegar, and acidophilus. Also, I cut out all sugar from my diet. The oral nystatin did nothing except make the babies sick, although the nystatin ointment has been helpful for the yeasty diaper rash. The diflucan worked for me, but then the babies would just reinfect me when I got done taking it. The gentian violet worked to get the thrush out of the babies' mouths, but seems to only work temporarily for my breasts. GSE did nothing so far as I could see. We wash all of our clothes (and everything else) in vinegar and hope that it is killing the yeast. It never worked on my breasts. Acidophilus has been the best. It keeps the thrush at bay to the extent that I only feel a little burning now and then. The boys' mouths are now clear, and all that lingers on them is a bit of diaper rash. I take a few capsules of really instense acidophilus with bifidus (that's important) three or four times a day. It is expensive, though.

If I were you I would try the gentian violet, and also take acidophilus. I know that a lot of people have success with GV. You should know that there is an Australian study that links GV to cancer of the mouth. Most of what I've read and heard seems to dispute the danger of it, but you should do your own research before trying it.

Good luck! Thrush is horrible. I almost quit breastfeeding a few times when the pain got really bad. I'm so glad I didn't! Actually, weaning does not get rid of thrush, so there is no reason to wean!

Check out the bfing forum for more ideas. The thread is called "HELP! I can't believe we have thrush!" Or something like that.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#6 of 7 Old 07-14-2003, 08:58 PM

We are dealing with it too, though very lazily becuase it's not really affecting us too much. I did one dose of gentian violet and it got rid of the patches in dd's mouth and took away the soreness in my nipples. Then I switched to Grapefruit Seed Extract because it's not as messy and it worked fine for us.
#7 of 7 Old 07-14-2003, 09:15 PM

If you have a diaper rash try adding some tea tree oil to the baby's *and* your bath. We add around 6 drops to a full tub. Has really helped keep the diaper area clean. I've heard a diaper spray solution of 5 drops GSE to 4 ounces of water can also help with the yeasty rash.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page