Mothering Forum banner

Activity ideas for 8 mo old?

480 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  NewEyes 
#1 ·
What did/do you guys "do" with your babies once they were mobile? My 8 month old son is crawling, pulling up, & starting to climb on things
: , and he doesn't want to sit on the floor and play with me anymore! It seems like he's bored with his toys too. He's into EVERYTHING! Yesterday he got away from me and pulled up on a metal storage cart thing in the kitchen and pulled it and everything on it over on top of himself before I could get to him. He gave me one heck of a heart attack, but he's ok, thank goodness. I resort to using the exersaucer every day to contain him so he doesn't injure himself while I get some chores done or w/e. I do wear him, but he's over 22lbs, so my back really starts to hurt after a while! So I think we need some mama & baby stuctured play activities to hold his attention so he has less time to get into trouble! What kind of toys do your dc like at this age? Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
My dd is about the same age and we are having the same issues. I almost completly babyproofed our livingroom so it is almost like a big playpen, hehe. That way she can crawl around and pull up on whatever she wants to and I don't have to worry about it. She still falls and bumps her head and all that normal stuff but I dont' have to worry about her pulling anything over on her. I also use our exersaucer and our highchair for when I'm cleaning the kitchen or cooking dinner. She has been a little distant with her toys lately too but they do keep her occupied to some degree. I have a basket with all of her toys in it and she really enjoys taking them out one at a time and looking at them, mouthing them, and then throwing them down. I am working on teaching her how to put them back into the basket as well, so that is an idea of something you can do together. She also has a toy where you put the different shaped bocks into the holes and such, she doesn't get it yet but I have fun showing her how to do it. She tries but doesn't have the motor skills yet, but she is learning. I am interested in other suggestions though, I don't really have too many. I miss our cuddling days. Now I have trouble getting her to let me hold her
I'm there with you mama. I hope you get some better suggestions though.

#3 ·
I think rearranging my book shelves/movies/cds is my dd's favorite pasttime, but if you really want other ideas... ha ha

I would put different objects (nuts, beads, etc) into clear plastic h20 bottles, seal the lid tight & let her roll them, shake them, etc.

A basin of water is fun to splash in. A watering can or funnel adds some surprise.

We sing & use egg shakers so she likes to mouth those.

She likes to swing outside. In a few months I'll set up the little slide indoors for the winter.

She really likes a play phone that talks (that's my girl!)
Hope these ideas help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.