Quoted: 0 Post(s)
reviews?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 08-27-2007, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nay, My DH is a chiro and he says they are not good for a developing spine.
#3 of 21 Old 08-27-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajones View Post
That's also what the physical therapists in ds's NICU said. It also puts too much pressure on the hips, and possibly the knees? while they are developing.
#4 of 21 Old 08-27-2007, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

thanks
#5 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajones View Post
My chiro says the same thing...

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#6 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 01:03 AM

I get routinely thrown under the proverbial bus for this, but I believe in everything in moderation when it comes to these crotch supporting devices. I would never, ever put a child in an exersaucer, jumper, or bjorn for any significant length of time because of the hip and spine issues, but 5 or 10 minutes once a week or something has not been shown by any study to do any harm, and some kids LOVE jumpers.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#7 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 AM

Ds loves his doorway jumper and I put him in it about 5 times a week. I never leave him in for long, but it allows me to get something done and he loves to jump. I don't think it's causing him any harm. It didn't cause dd any problems.
#8 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 01:56 AM

In moderation, I think they are just fine. Both of my kids would bounce in much the same way in my arms on my lap as soon as they realized they could stand and support their own weight. The only real differnece I see with a jolly jumper is that they are suspended from their crotch. But again, in moderation, I don't see that it's a huge problem.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#9 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 01:57 AM

I limited my kids to 5-10 minutes no more than once a day.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#10 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 03:20 AM

I've been thinking a lot about this too. Tonight, we were at a friend's house and DD tried out their baby's jumparoo. (looks kind of like an exersaucer, only it hangs from springs on a wide frame) She seemed to really enjoy it. And I agree w/ pp - the way she was moving and the amount of weight she was putting on her legs was very similar to what happens when I hold her in my lap and let her bounce and stretch her legs. I think I've talked myself into getting one because I know for sure that we would never just leave her in it for extended periods of time. I don't see how it could hurt her if we only put her in it for a little entertainment every now and then. I do know that a lot of parents over use these kinds of devices and that is sad...but I doubt that it could screw up any spine development to let a baby sit in one for 5 or 10 minutes here and there. :
#11 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 03:31 AM

I wouldn't recommend buying one. If you get one as a gift, sure, use it. But don't buy one. My son grew out of his so quickly, and probably only spent about 30 minutes in it *total* from the day we received it until the day he outgrew it.
#12 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
I get routinely thrown under the proverbial bus for this, but I believe in everything in moderation when it comes to these crotch supporting devices. I would never, ever put a child in an exersaucer, jumper, or bjorn for any significant length of time because of the hip and spine issues, but 5 or 10 minutes once a week or something has not been shown by any study to do any harm, and some kids LOVE jumpers.
DS is too young for these things, but I see where you're coming from. I also think that most of the injuries are from parents who just throw the child in the device and don't pay attention.
#13 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 09:31 AM

what if your baby is standing while in one? I put my son in an exer-saucer from time to time, and he completely stands up in it, while having the occasional support of the seat. His legs don't dangle at all. Is this harmful at all? I had no idea about the spinal development problems they could pose, but that does make sense.

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#14 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 PM

My sons all loved them and i have always used them with no ill effects. Usually just for the length of time to wash a sink of dishes or get a quick workout in.
#15 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM

My ot&pt told me that they were fine in moderation. The way I used mine was 5 min here and there.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#16 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver'sMom View Post
what if your baby is standing while in one? I put my son in an exer-saucer from time to time, and he completely stands up in it, while having the occasional support of the seat. His legs don't dangle at all. Is this harmful at all? I had no idea about the spinal development problems they could pose, but that does make sense.
No it isn't harmful, my ds was really delayed and I used to put him in the jumperoo for brief periods and the Pt said that if used only for brief periods it can actually be helpful to develop some muscle strength, but of course it is always better to do more natural things such as holding them while standing.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#17 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 06:48 PM

We have one, Ben loves it. I think it's important not to overdo it, but he really wants to be standing/walking, and jumping around in the Johnny Jumpup for a few minutes keeps him entertained and certainly can't hurt.

Also, they're pretty cheap and compact to store, compared to walkers/exersaucers/etc.
#18 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 06:57 PM

Nay. In addition to the hip/pelvic issues, every child I check who uses one, even in moderation, has minor whiplash. Many minor whiplashes turn into big problems later on in life.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#19 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 07:25 PM

nak.
i ended up getting both the johnny jump-up and the Graco version with a surrounding tray. the jump-up never got any use at all. it seemed awkward and dangerous when the kids were in it at their age. i could totally see getting whiplash from that.
the graco one, though. well, i'm a huge fan. we have it in an extra wide doorway and put a padded carpet underneath and they love it so much.
#20 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 08:31 PM

DD used the Johnny Jumper for short periods a couple of times a week when I really needed a break from holding her. Someone else mentioned that their child would always be jumping and bouncing no matter where they were and mine was the same way. The jumper just allowed me some rest and gave her the illusion that she was getting somewhere. I would not recommend it for long periods of time and I am very against walkers and play stations but the johnny was great. Simple, easy on and off, strong, and great fun for baby. She sees a chiro and a DO and both have consistently said her spinal health is excellent.

MammaGoddess ::: to Magdalena Rune 8/6/06 and Tristan Phoenix 9/11/08
#21 of 21 Old 08-28-2007, 08:58 PM

I say YAY. DD loves her Johnny Jump Up. In the beginning, she just sat in it and moved her feet around, but she seemed to like the support it offered her. Now, she bounces in it and thinks it is the greatest thing ever. She has really strong legs from using it. She probably spends 15 minutes in it a day and then she wants to move on to something else. We first put her in it at two and a half or three months because she wanted to be upright and didn't like being in a lying down position such as in a bouncy seat. My mother had one for my brother and he loved it. I only cried when put in it as a baby.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page