When do babys loose there soft spots? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2007, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My five month old had smaller soft spots when he was born, now they are completely gone. What I want to know is if this is normal. He is my first baby so I might just be worrying about nothing, but I really would like know if I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2007, 10:58 PM

I would put a call in to my ped, it is very early for them to be completely closed up.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylad View Post
My five month old had smaller soft spots when he was born, now they are completely gone. What I want to know is if this is normal. He is my first baby so I might just be worrying about nothing, but I really would like know if I am.

DS is 6 months old and I can still see it pulsating when he is upset so it's not closed yet. I'd call the ped too and just check with him/her.

joy.gif
Old 08-29-2007, 11:22 PM

My DS is almost 9 months old, and I can see his pulsating all the time. (It helps that we gave him a haircut this week - it's a lot more noticeable with his hair so short.) That said, when he was born, the midwives told me he had a very large soft spot, so who knows.

However, my not very scientific investigation on the intenet seemed to turn up info that the average age for the soft spot on the top of the head to close is between 12-14 months, with 9 months considered early and 24 months on the later end. I agree with the pps. If you think it is already closed at 5 months, I'd definitely call your ped.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 08-29-2007, 11:23 PM

i think it should still be open... here is wht dr sears says:

Quote:
As you caress your baby's head you may feel a relatively soft area (called a fontanel) in the center toward the front of your baby's head. Sometimes you can see and feel a pulse beneath the soft spot. You may feel a smaller soft spot in the center toward the back of baby's head. It's okay to touch and wash these soft spots. There is actually a tough membrane underneath and because of this membrane you are able to touch the soft spot and not worry about hurting your baby. Enjoy this feel while you can; these soft spots gradually get smaller as your baby's skull bones grow together. The soft spot toward the back of the head ("posterior fontanel") closes by 3 months. The anterior fontanel closes between 12-18 months.

User Tag List