May 2007 Moms ITS SEPTEMBER - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 400 Old 09-10-2007, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
posting again to talk about school stuff/what i do all day

mostly it's all i can do to keep up with the insane amounts of laundry and dishes that are created with a family of 5, one in cloth dipes, and one who likes to change outfits quicker than the weather We don't eat out hardly at all anymore, which is a recent and huge lifestyle change for me. I think a lot of the reason we ate out so much before was b/c i hated doing dishes! : so we eat at home like 99% of the time now, and we (*I*) have so many dishes to do! We actually had to buy more kitchen stuff

Yeah, I do the upkeep stuff, and we sit on the living room floor and do school. Right now my older two will wake up and do their math on their own, then I check it over later. After breakfast we do Lili's reading lesson and Ian's grammar, then I print out handwriting and/or coloring pages for them, and we read some books together (usually having to take breaks for Claire )

When i do get free time.....well ok, it's not free time, but time that I must relegate *just* to nursing claire to sleep in the sling, cause she's very particular about me NOT moving when she's trying to settle in for a nap! : At those times, I'm either poking around online or reading--I just bought Circle Round and am reading that The other day I was busy researching divorce law for a friend in another state--she's in a bind and I know i can help Before that I was catching up on my fanfiction reading : Claire actually makes me be on the comp more than I would like to be!

Other than hanging out with my two IRL friends in this town and running errands in this blazing heat, that's pretty much what we do all day. I can't wait for the cooler weather--I can get some potted plants that might actually survive, and we can go to the park again Right now we're still having the "don't touch the metal part of the seatbuckle cause it'll burn you" type of heat :

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#122 of 400 Old 09-10-2007, 05:29 PM

My DD who is 3 started preschool last week. She goes for just a few hours on tuesday and thursday mornings while I am working, mainly so I don't feel as guilty for working She was so nervous at first, but once we got there, I couldn't get her to leave! She keeps asking me when she gets to go back. I think it's really good for her to meet other kids and not have to hang out with me all the time.
Kade is a little behind on motor skills, because he was 3 weeks early. He's starting to put everything he can get in his mouth. He has been laughing for a while now. The easiest way to get him to laugh is to stick him in the tub He still has his hard nights where he is up every couple of hours, but it seems to be getting better. He is getting so big!
We are definitely done having kids now. All we ever wanted was 2. I cut down my hours at work to 10-15 per week when I came back from maternity leave so I can enjoy this time. It goes by so fast, I don't want to miss anything! We watched Saige's baby movies the other day and it made me think about how the pics and video are so fun to have to remind me of her infancy. I've been taking more video lately because of that.
#123 of 400 Old 09-10-2007, 10:34 PM

Koru--Munchkimo was the nickname my husband and I had for my son before he was born. Half munchkin, half Eskimo. I'm honored that you're using it.

LizzyQ, the nurse-in photo rox! You all look like breastfeeding crusaders--so determined.

Yay! to all the homeschoolers! I was home schooled from 9th grade on. It's the way to go (IMO). I'm 23yrs old and co-owner of a successful business.

Hubby and I figure we logged over 3000 miles in three weekends last month. So on Saturday night we were going to go to bed EARLY. Only problem: I had lemonade that day. Lemonade, dairy, and chocolate have been on my avoid list, but I thought maybe I could take lemonade off. I guess not. Livy flipped out and woke up every 45min or so. So much for getting caught up on sleep. Anyone else still avoiding certain foods?

Livy finally likes the sling. She hates hate HATES the cradle hold, so she wasn't thrilled about the sling until she learned to hold her head up. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep her content in the Babyhawk on my back. I can get her in there just fine, but I can't figure out how to keep her pacifier in once she's back there. If she doesn't have her paci, she tries to nurse on my shoulder and gets frustrate. But once she's asleep in there, we're good for an hour at least.

We're celebrating our wedding anniversary this month. I think hubby is planning to take me down to St. Paul/Minneapolis for the weekend. We'll prolly go to IKEA. I don't know how I'll swing a weekend w/ out my babies when Livy's been eating so much that I can't spare enough to pump for any feedings. Maybe she'll just have to come with. I'm feeling pretty burnt out these days though. I could really use a little non-mommy time.

Here are our photos:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...ivywedding.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...h/livypark.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r.../livyboppy.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...benjiatzoo.jpg
#124 of 400 Old 09-11-2007, 04:05 PM

added the link to our photoblog in my sig!
#125 of 400 Old 09-11-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabrynn82 View Post
OMG the shot of the baby getting a bath was SO CUTE!! I can't tell which one it was but CUUUUUTE!

You totally inspired me to start videotaping our boys together. I keep waiting for DP to do it but darnit, I need some cute movies!
#126 of 400 Old 09-11-2007, 05:23 PM

I finally just had to start leaving our videocamera out on a counter or somewhere that it was easy to grab and shoot... otherwise I never think of it! Inching up to the 4 month mark, I'm glad I was able to get the videos I have so far...

eta - that's Willa in the tub
#127 of 400 Old 09-11-2007, 06:40 PM

The picture of Willa in the bouncer thing is absolutely hilarious!!!
You have beautiful little girls SaraBrynn!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#128 of 400 Old 09-11-2007, 06:48 PM

She loves that thing!!! I limit her to 5-10 minutes in it, but she'd stay in it all day if I'd let her...

Aren't we hitting a fun age? These babes are really coming to life!
#129 of 400 Old 09-12-2007, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkimo View Post
Koru--Munchkimo was the nickname my husband and I had for my son before he was born. Half munchkin, half Eskimo. I'm honored that you're using it.

LizzyQ, the nurse-in photo rox! You all look like breastfeeding crusaders--so determined.

Yay! to all the homeschoolers! I was home schooled from 9th grade on. It's the way to go (IMO). I'm 23yrs old and co-owner of a successful business.

Hubby and I figure we logged over 3000 miles in three weekends last month. So on Saturday night we were going to go to bed EARLY. Only problem: I had lemonade that day. Lemonade, dairy, and chocolate have been on my avoid list, but I thought maybe I could take lemonade off. I guess not. Livy flipped out and woke up every 45min or so. So much for getting caught up on sleep. Anyone else still avoiding certain foods?

Livy finally likes the sling. She hates hate HATES the cradle hold, so she wasn't thrilled about the sling until she learned to hold her head up. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep her content in the Babyhawk on my back. I can get her in there just fine, but I can't figure out how to keep her pacifier in once she's back there. If she doesn't have her paci, she tries to nurse on my shoulder and gets frustrate. But once she's asleep in there, we're good for an hour at least.

We're celebrating our wedding anniversary this month. I think hubby is planning to take me down to St. Paul/Minneapolis for the weekend. We'll prolly go to IKEA. I don't know how I'll swing a weekend w/ out my babies when Livy's been eating so much that I can't spare enough to pump for any feedings. Maybe she'll just have to come with. I'm feeling pretty burnt out these days though. I could really use a little non-mommy time.

Here are our photos:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...ivywedding.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...h/livypark.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r.../livyboppy.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...benjiatzoo.jpg
Wow! What a head of hair!
#130 of 400 Old 09-12-2007, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Oh they are so freaking cute! Great pics!
#131 of 400 Old 09-12-2007, 05:51 AM

Henry's first tooth is out. It popped out yesterday, but then it either went down or the gum swelled up around it, but today I felt it again so hopefully it's out to stay.

Ashley/Munchkimo, where are you?! I'm two hours north of Duluth, you've gotta be somewhere sorta near me if you go south to the Twin Cities! We are going to make an IKEA trip in Illinois when we're there in October. I heart IKEA.

I'm tired tonight, but I dare not skip a day or I get too far behind with y'all. We had a horrible day of miscommunication (we have one cell phone and one car and my husband had both while I was stuck in town walking around in freezing rain and Delia and I didn't have jackets!), came home to our beautiful new farm and our dogs had dug their way out of the stall and killed three chickens. It'll all be OK, but I'm glad today's over - tomorrow will definitely be better.

Oh, Megan, that's like my schedule only I stay up later and my husband has the kids longer in the morning. I usually go to bed around 3-4 and then sleep through Henry's first nap, so get up around 9-11. Or sometimes I get up for breakfast because I love breakfast food and we've been making eggs from our chickens lately so I like to be up for that, but then go back to bed! I really need a lot of sleep lately. Better go get some...
#132 of 400 Old 09-12-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
Henry's first tooth is out. It popped out yesterday, but then it either went down or the gum swelled up around it, but today I felt it again so hopefully it's out to stay.

Ashley/Munchkimo, where are you?! I'm two hours north of Duluth, you've gotta be somewhere sorta near me if you go south to the Twin Cities! We are going to make an IKEA trip in Illinois when we're there in October. I heart IKEA.
Congrats on Henry's first tooth!

What do you mean two hours North of Duluth... that's Canada! Are you in Pigeon River? We should all meet up when I'm out visiting my mom in October, she's 45 min south of Thunder Bay Erm provided you aren't gone while I am there... I'll be there between the 20-26th.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#133 of 400 Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM

OK how do you know your li'l one is teething? I see two tiny white lines along the bottom of her gum, and she's MISERABLE today! Poor thing....she keeps going "mmmmm" through her crying, pressing her lips tightly together...she used to be such a happy little thing! :
#134 of 400 Old 09-12-2007, 09:40 PM

I think of Henry and Clay's DDC buddy because they are both so big so Henry having a tooth is amazing and makes me wonder!

Took the boys to the aquarium today and Clay LOVED it -- all the tanks just had him spell bound for a couple hours (so much so he did not nap and was SO tired by the time we hit the train (which he also loved) so he did not sleep until the bus (boring to everyone the world over I suppose)! A weird guy leered at me while I nursed Clay to sleep on the back of the bus - what a freak!

So, I have a question for y'all. What type of day time napping are your babies doing? (Lenghts, frequency, total time sleeping, how they go down, where they sleep). Give me the goods

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#135 of 400 Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
So, I have a question for y'all. What type of day time napping are your babies doing? (Lenghts, frequency, total time sleeping, how they go down, where they sleep). Give me the goods
Emeth generally has one short nap in the morning (half an hour or so) and then a long nap in the afternoon (2 or 3 hours)... sometimes he will have another short nap in the evening, but I try to keep him distracted as long as he's not too grumpy because if I can delay him then he'll go to sleep around the same time as my 2 year old (8ish) and mama gets some downtime in the evening. :
#136 of 400 Old 09-12-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgal View Post
OK how do you know your li'l one is teething? I see two tiny white lines along the bottom of her gum, and she's MISERABLE today! Poor thing....she keeps going "mmmmm" through her crying, pressing her lips tightly together...she used to be such a happy little thing! :
OK--I know when babies start teething now. It's when they do all of the above.

Hannah popped a tooth today, at 4 months minus two days. WOW!
#137 of 400 Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 PM

phew, finally caught up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
I guess its better then our friend's baby. Her dad works long hours and is always gone. He always has on a baseball hat so she calls him "hat".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_plus_one View Post
How are night times going for your little monkeys? I feel like ours have gotten so much worse...I remember when he was about 6 weeks old, I would nurse him twice at night, but now it seems like it's 4 or 5 times. I'm wondering if this is just a regular phase that all babies go through.
Pretty sure I already have gone on and on about how we went from sleeping thru the night to waking every 1-2 hours. Soooooo sleep deprived. :

Quote:
My mom caught a sweet picture of the three of us today. This occurs multiples times in a day - a post tandem nurse nap...

http://a207.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...e8514c0cb6.jpg
that is SO cute, your girls are absolutely adorable! way to go on the tandem nursing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgal View Post
: This kid o'mine was up on the hour, every hour. Please tell me that this too shall pass and that I don't have a sh!tty sleeper...I love my sleep! I want my sleep! She used to be able to be able to go to sleep so easily, and those days seem to be over!

(the sleep deprivation has apparently caused me to only be able to communicate in smilies)
#138 of 400 Old 09-12-2007, 11:25 PM

I keep trying to read this thread to catch up- you ladies are busy!
I feel a little bad- my little one doesn't get a lot of time to practice picking up toys and whatnot because she's always in the mei tai. I worry sometimes that it's going to stunt her development.... then I comfort myself that in many places babies practically live in the sling.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#139 of 400 Old 09-12-2007, 11:57 PM

emiLy--We are about 20 minutes East of Detroit Lakes. My husband and I honeymooned up your way--in Cook, MN at Elbow Lake Lodge. http://www.elbowlake.com/ I also went to summer camp in Biwabik, MN as a teen, so I'm fairly familiar with your area. If we make it up that way anytime soon, I'd love to meet up with you. Maybe if we end up going to Giant's Ridge this winter? I should warn you though; I'm not the crunchiest mama on the block. I'm just going to get this off of my chest right now: We use 'sposies. I'm just way too intimidated by the cloth diapering idea. I wouldn't know where to start. There, I feel better, can I still hang out here? :

Livy sang herself to sleep after dinner this evening. It was the cutest thing ever. Seriously. CUTEST THING EVER! I should have recorded it.

I converted a friend to babywearing yesterday. I brought over my Babyhawk and let her use it for the day. She does a lot of work for our web development business, so I might buy her one to say thanks.
#140 of 400 Old 09-13-2007, 12:43 AM

Wow, I've been away from the computer for a couple of days and MAN! am I behind!

I think I posted that DH got the news that he's set for Clark County (las vegas) the Fire Academy that starts in October! Oh my gosh things are moving fast around here. We are in the process of buying a new car for me because my current car isn't *that* reliable. And getting DH ready to move 2 hours away. Well he's not really moving, but the Fire Academy is 12 hour days, 5 days a week... so he can't commute everyday - he's got to stay down there during the week. Wow. I'm going to be taking care of 2 kids without a break 5 days a week. Holy cow. .. I'm getting more and more nervous everyday.

I'm getting overwhelmed with my roles/responsibilities lately. I mean like, both kids, the house, my marriage, my friendships, my health, or just myself. . . It just seems like I can't keep it all together at the same time. Like I'm patient with my 2 year old and my house is clean but DH and I are fighting... or DH and I are connected, I'm eating healthy foods but the house is a wreck. I've been talking about it with DH and its helping. Its not a time management thing - its self worth thing. Like I can't be great at all those things at once and I can't cut myself the slack to let things slip. Like the house - or honestly my friendships - because priortywise the other things are more important. Sigh.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#141 of 400 Old 09-13-2007, 02:45 AM

Am I the only one having a random surge of emotions lately???

I was on prometrium for about 6 weeks for mild ppd, but have felt pretty good since I stopped taking it. About a week ago, I started feeling all hormonal and weepy again! I haven't actually cried yet, but I've come pretty close lots of times... Maybe I'm just getting overtired - we just moved and had two sets of houseguests within the first three days after the move!

Anyone else crabby/weepy/etc?
#142 of 400 Old 09-13-2007, 04:47 AM

napping: ezra still takes about 4-5 45min naps a day. a few times a week he'll zonk for 1-2hrs but it can't be depended on. i'm not complaining,though, because with two preschoolers it's much easier to be flexible with a babe who doesn't need whopping naps, ya know?

babywearing: i converted a friend, too! her LO is 2 months younger than ezra & she witnessed me carrying him in my mei tai. the minute her babe was born she started asking more questions about it because she realized how tiring it is to carry a baby all day! she just got her mei tai today & left me a very long message about how beautiful it is & that she'd been wearing her little girl all afternoon.

i still love my maya ring sling! ezra giggles when he sees it. it's so adorable. i just started using a moby, too, now that the weather is cooling off & i love it!

stephanie asl.gif

#143 of 400 Old 09-13-2007, 10:51 AM

Ah ladies. Sitting with my morning cafe on the front porch, sleepy baby at my side, classical music spills from our home, and catching up on your dear lives... one of my favorite things these days....

We had a wonderful trip to Vermont. Lots of hiking and playing and sweet emotions as one chapter of my life closes. Akasha enjoys travel so much- all my nervousness was for nothing. On the plane she gave everyone smiles- it's like she's an ambassador to the world or something...

Coming home to Georgia, I can taste the very beginnings of fall in the air. This is my favorite season. Such a relief after the heat of summer. These next few months before starting to work again will be such a gift.

OK a few thread comments:
I am thrilled with the nurse-in activism! I think I will try and organize something here.

Sleep: Akasha tends to have a morning nap and a late afternoon nap. Nothing I can really count on. We don't have a routine for day or night but now that I have a little extra energy, I want to consider one. Any wisdom on this Mamas?
Babywearing: I thought I would be doing more of this. We wear A in the Ergo when we are out. Sometimes she really fusses over it and then settles down in her stroller, but other times she loves it- the key is getting her up on your back where she can see out. I had visions of having her in the Moby around the house but when we try, A often isn't feeling it. I wonder if the solution is buying another carrier or keep trying or just let her be. I'd love any advice on this Mamas... I was counting on wearing her more.

The crazy night wakings have settled down so we seem to be over that- so be hopeful Mamas who are still struggling!

OH and just had to share that we caught a few more poops and pees in the little potty- whoohooooo! It's so nice to keep A's booty clean.

I'll endevour to post pics....

Grace Comes.

#144 of 400 Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
We had a wonderful trip to Vermont. Lots of hiking and playing and sweet emotions as one chapter of my life closes. Akasha enjoys travel so much- all my nervousness was for nothing. On the plane she gave everyone smiles- it's like she's an ambassador to the world or something...
Sam is just like this, though no traveling - just everywhere we go people comment on how very happy he is and how he made their day better. He LOVES, LOVES, LOVES to be talked to by everyone and anyone and smiles with his whole body when someone does and then chats back with them. One or two of his siblings were that way too, but not constantly like he is. Okay, maybe not CONSTANTLY, but he saves whatever crankiness he has for home .
#145 of 400 Old 09-13-2007, 12:37 PM

yea, crazy night wakings are winding down here too--tho i still can't seem to get away for a moment to spend with dh :

I am stunned that one of our babes already has a tooth! (Emily posted awhile back, i've been lurking ) Claire has hands in everything and is always wanting to grab my food, it's weird! Neither of my other two were all that fascinated until much later, and they got teeth late, at like 8-9 months. I'm hoping this isn't a sign of teeth coming already! I mean, what do you give a 3.5m baby who is clearly staring at your veggie burger??

well, i got my babyhawk, dh likes it more than i do, i think. Claire isn't crazy about it, tho i think she will be as she gets bigger. How does anyone nurse in those?? They seem so un-comfy for nursing! They are very useful for doing dishes tho So the BH and the maya pouch are my backups, and my taylormade ring sling is still what she wants to live in. I get SO many comments about the sling when i'm out, it's almost disturbing how nobody's ever heard of a baby sling before

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#146 of 400 Old 09-13-2007, 02:13 PM

Naps - hmmmmm. Last week I was getting some 1 hour ones or better, but this week we are back to the 45 min. ones, and often while I'm wearing him (Dh and I LOVE the Ergo, and so does DS ) or he falls asleep in the car, etc. - mostly due to picking up DD from 4 year old Kindergarten. Gotta go get her right now! More later?

Here's a pic of Nick from today:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...102AZt2zRk4asR

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#147 of 400 Old 09-13-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyTeesa View Post
Oh my goodness he's gorgeous Mama!

Grace Comes.

#148 of 400 Old 09-13-2007, 03:13 PM

Today is my birthday. It's been pretty lame and boring. I don't want to do chores, and the only other thing in my life when the baby is asleep is apparently the computer.

Adulthood sucks.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#149 of 400 Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM

In cuter news:
Mickey is absoluelyt obsessed with his feet. Actually, mostly it's his left foot he loves. I should rent that movie to see if he likes it.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#150 of 400 Old 09-13-2007, 03:16 PM

We have the amazing sleeping baby over here now! 1.5-2 hour naps, 4-5 hour stretches at night, I can do this again!! Swaddling...so great! She just needs tons of nappage during the day is all. I feel a little restricted by when I can go out, because she always seems to be sleeping, but heck, if she needs it, so be it...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page