May 2007 Moms ITS SEPTEMBER - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2007, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, one reason E2L works is b/c living is cheap in my neck of the woods and we have lots of friends who farm. I feel thankful for this. Also, I was getting pretty down about how I was feeling in my body, I was going to go back to acupuncture, but I figured I know what needs to happen and I'll use the xtra $ on having what I need around to support me instead of getting treatments. It does take time and planning but you save in other areas (like going out to eat!)...
If I don't do something I'll have to buy a whole new wardrobe:
ugh.

For ya'll giving it a try there's a support thread in Fitness.

And I hear ya re: finding time for yoga. I can manage little interrupted hatha poses, but I keep wanting to get back into vinyasa but Akasha isn't having in. We are dancing together tho
:

Grace Comes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
I am pretty sure my daughter is putting me up for adoption. I put in another topic about how I gave her Malt O Meal. I thought it was oatmeal I guess. Maggie is on oatmeal or rice for her GERDS. Score no points there for being a good mom.

So today I put Maggie down for her nap. I was downstairs with the boys helping with school work when the phone rang which it was my dad. So I turned down the baby monitor so I could hear him (I leave classical music on for white noise) anyway got off the phone and I can hear Maggie screaming, MAMMA, MAMMA, MAMMA (she had only been asleep) so I go rushing upstairs to her where she proceeds to burst out into tears and gave me this look of where were you? So anyway I am sure with my two blunders she is in the market for a new mom.
Well I think you are awesome Mama! I am amazed and inspired by your strength and perserverence

Grace Comes.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:23 PM

Okay you have all inspired me to buy some AIO for home!!!

Baraka... that sounds great. It is such a shame a chesseburger at MDonalds cost less then just about anything in the produce section of the market.

Krystal323.. I came from a soda house and gave it up totally about 4 years ago. It has made such a difference. Though I do have a cup of coffee every morning.

DoulaLes... my ds just turned 4 months and the # of poops have greatly decreased. I don't know if has to do with age or it is just a cycle of lots of pops and then not as many.

On the CD note do you all think I will need larger onsies to acomidate the CD's? We just moved him into 6 month so there is a little extra room but not much.

OHH...one last thing, our ped. who we love said we could start solids. I looked at her like she was crazy : she asked me when we would most likely start and I said around 7 months. She said I guess that will be fine. Did they switch the age at some point from 6 to 4 months????:

Mom of 3.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the birthday wishes It got better--dh came home with icecream, sushi, & wine : That was nice

Samgroom--I think the onesie size depends a lot on what type of diaper you are using. . .my kid is in 6-9 & 9-12 though and would be no matter what kind of diap we use. I don't know if that makes somee difference for how I preceive them as fitting with cloth. That made no sense

Teesa-- There is no catching up on the mundane. I tend to look at it as "getting the laundry *done*", but really it isn't. There is no Done. As long as we live there will be laundry, dishes, counters, & toilets. . . Basicly I feel like my days are spent making messes to put food into peoples mouths THEN cleaning up the food as it comes out the other end of the people. It's a rediculous cycle when you think about it too hard. I don't know if I'm making you feel worse or better , but it's. . .I don't know. If I remember while I'm doing the chore that I will be doing it again tomorrow it just makes me not want to do it, but if I look at it like I'm trying to get something "done" I'm always frustrated that I'm NEVER DONE!

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 09-15-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGroom View Post
OHH...one last thing, our ped. who we love said we could start solids. I looked at her like she was crazy : she asked me when we would most likely start and I said around 7 months. She said I guess that will be fine. Did they switch the age at some point from 6 to 4 months????:
I dunno but I was cruising Yahoo Answers (not even sure how I got there really) last night and all kinds of people were asking about how to start solids with their 4 month olds. My answer was - uh, DON'T lol. I like to wait until they are grabbing food out of my hand (and not just because they are grabbing everything) usually 9 or 10 months and skip that infernal jarred food entirely - "mostly" EBF until a year. I've fed 2 the mushy crap and 2 started on table foods and guess which ones like regular food and which ones are picky? And guess which way I'm going with Sam-eo?
Old 09-15-2007, 03:49 PM

i don't have time to catch up on all the posts over the past few days but i just had to show y'all this....

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/100_1461.jpg

can you believe it? he's obviously relying on the ottoman a bit but he's starting to sit!? he can sit by himself for a good 30 seconds in the leaning over position. my sweet baby...he'll be 4 months on the 18th.

stephanie asl.gif

Old 09-15-2007, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
Well I think you are awesome Mama! I am amazed and inspired by your strength and perserverence
Thanks I really needed to hear that, we are having one of those mornings where Maggie is only happy being held, not in the ergo but by me so nothing is gettting done, sigh.

Heidi
Old 09-15-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
Yeah, i've been thinking about it all afternoon, and i'd need more funds than are currently avaliable to truly do Eat to Live, not to mention i HATE buying groceries and I hate cooking too! Maybe I can just incorporate pieces of eat to live, like the two salads a day, or eating more beans, or staying away from refined foods. Any of those would be a challenge for me right now :

A very bad confesion: I'm focusing on cutting out soda, cause we can go thru a 12-pack in a day and a half around here, and i know that's mostly my fault. well, ok, my kids don't like pepsi and dp swears he only drank 2 : so I haven't had a soda since yesterday afternoon, and I have a withdrawal headache that's making me cranky and tired.

Claire actually slept last nite, yay! Now if i could just start squeezing in yoga here and there, I think I'll be feeling better. I feel like I haven't quite made it out of that "crisis-stage" yet, yk, when your life is still a bit crazy from the adjustment of adding another family member? whew!
krystal how about just incorporating just one change at a time right now so its not so overwhelming?

Have you tried to gradually withdrawl from caffine?

Heidi
Old 09-15-2007, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGroom View Post
On the CD note do you all think I will need larger onsies to acomidate the CD's? We just moved him into 6 month so there is a little extra room but not much.
I do not see a difference in clothes sizes for cd. We use proraps with a cd so maybe the aio are bigger I am not sure.

Heidi
Old 09-15-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
i don't have time to catch up on all the posts over the past few days but i just had to show y'all this....

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/100_1461.jpg

can you believe it? he's obviously relying on the ottoman a bit but he's starting to sit!? he can sit by himself for a good 30 seconds in the leaning over position. my sweet baby...he'll be 4 months on the 18th.
He is so cute.

Heidi
Old 09-15-2007, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
I like to wait until they are grabbing food out of my hand (and not just because they are grabbing everything) usually 9 or 10 months and skip that infernal jarred food entirely - "mostly" EBF until a year. I've fed 2 the mushy crap and 2 started on table foods and guess which ones like regular food and which ones are picky? And guess which way I'm going with Sam-eo?

My most delayed eater is my most pickest and he only eats about 6 different foods. Of course fixing him something to eat is easy.

Heidi
Old 09-15-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
My most delayed eater is my most pickest and he only eats about 6 different foods. Of course fixing him something to eat is easy.
Darn it. I have one of those and I actually have 3 other theories for her pickiness. a) she had reflux as a baby and so is still shy of tomato-ey foods (she likes bland/cheesy foods); b) she and her next sister are only 20 months apart so while I was puking out my guts pregnant, I could only stomach making mac-n-cheese during her formative toddler years; c) she just has a very particular and stubborn personality because she's picky about other stuff too.

You know, this is one of the reasons I'm not fond of

Never mind - my hubby just snuck up behind me and totally scared me so that I screamed and scared the baby. I've lost my train of thought.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

all 5 of my kids have had reflux from moderate to severe. Liam has always had a thing with food. My other kids we just fed table food no jar food they ate what we ate. Well Liam was no way no how. So we bought jar food it was not until we found orgnaic $3.00 a jar food would he eat and then it was hit or miss. He was always really small. Whem he wa 5 he was diagnosed with juvenile arthritis and he gained some with medication. but he will starve himself if he is not allowed his food.

Heidi
Old 09-16-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
all 5 of my kids have had reflux from moderate to severe. Liam has always had a thing with food. My other kids we just fed table food no jar food they ate what we ate. Well Liam was no way no how. So we bought jar food it was not until we found orgnaic $3.00 a jar food would he eat and then it was hit or miss. He was always really small. Whem he wa 5 he was diagnosed with juvenile arthritis and he gained some with medication. but he will starve himself if he is not allowed his food.
That's just how my little girl is too - she's TINY, her little sister is as big and bigger in some ways, but she will starve rather than give in. It was a huge victory this week to get her to try lasagna, which is a food that she SHOULD like - she recently gave in to pizza with red sauce and she LOVES cheese and loves pasta. She could and would live happily on just macaroni and cheese for dinner but it has to be done a certain way. She's a cheese and cereal kind of girl.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:35 AM

I'm pretty sure the AAP recommendation changed from 4-6 months to 6 months, maybe even no earlier than 6 months sometime in the last 2-3 years. So, doctors who are suggesting solids now are not following AAP guidelines. I just do what's easiest - let them feed themselves whole foods when they can, like avocado and beans and other fruits/veggies and meats too. And I'm sure not letting Henry have dairy until at least 18 months, and then only very carefully.

ETA: All this cheese talk. I know you guys get sick of me with this, but that screams dairy sensitivity! Delia was much more picky about foods when she was being attacked by dairy (and is sensitive to the proteins in dairy). There's this weird addiction-like response, where they get really attached to the thing that's hurting them. I'm just sayin!

Clay is so cute! Henry's sits are not that straight at all - he slumps forward and just barely doesn't tip over forward. He loves it though, even when he makes himself grunt. LOL He gave himself knee rug burn today. I have to put leg warmers on him I think because I never put pants on him around the house. It is crazy, but I have got to get going on getting a door or at least a baby gate at the top of the basement stairs!

My hair needs to get its act together and stop falling out. It is seriously looking and feeling thin. I think I'm glad winter's coming and I can wear a hat! It will be nice when it starts to grow back.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:14 AM

Well, Claire gummed on a cucumber a bit today before she dropped it, lol. I don't think that counts as food so much as a teething object, right?? We had friends over and she was just too enthralled watching all the kids play to even nurse or nap much. So I'm in for a long nite

One of my friends found (yes, found!) an exersaucer the other day, like nearly new, that someone had left for goodwill pickup--so she scrubbed it up and brought it over--omg Claire adores it! I can put her in that thing in the morning and she's entertained by watching the older two play, and I can go lay back down/etc for a good 30 minutes or so. I've never been able to put her down and leave her line-of-sight for that long before!

I bought a pump too, and apparently my dh has already made arrangements for us to go out sans kiddos next time he's off : so i'm looking forward to that a lot I'm sooo lucky to have friends that i REALLY trust to watch my babies--I've never had that before.

in other news, I think I spoke too soon about the hair not falling out : It's not a whole lot, but i am noticing it, grrrr... like i need another thing making me feel un-pretty right now : I weigh 140, and I feel good at 115

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 09-16-2007, 04:44 AM

Hey there just wanted to stop by and say Hi! I have a lot of posts to catch up on. Avery had a well baby visit on Friday and she is doing great. She weighed in at 15 lbs 10.5 oz and 25.5 inches long. I mentioned to my ped that we'd probably give some solids a try around X-mas and he said there was no hurry, she was doing just fine on boobie juice. I thought that was pretty cool because dd1's ped was pushing solids on her around 4 months.

Avery is rolling over so quick now! It is not a struggle like it used to be. She hates being on her belly once she rolls over though. Zoe provides endless entertainment for her, they get along great.

I think it may be time to move to the next size up on the prefolds, I like to do the bikini fold because of her chunky thighs but the infant size doesn't leave too much slack to work with. Unfortunately I am BROKE right now so that purchase will be a few weeks away.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:47 PM

Chugga Chugga Tooot toooot pity train pulling in I swear if there was a pulling hair out smilies I would be using it (not that its not falling out on its own!)
I am just feeling down/overwhelmed with things lately... Ds started preschool two days a week and getting up early sucks! It has also thrown Ashlyn for a loop on the sleeping schedule and with out her naps she is a real pill and very hard to calm down. It seems like for the last week she keeps getting interrupted when ever she needs to take a nap! : She is such a light sleeper that no matter how quiet I am getting her out of the car she wakes up and is in a crying hissy fit. Plus she is in the 'I hate my car seat and being strapped down' phase right now so that makes life fun.
I am so upset with the way I look right now I want to :Puke I feel like I'm 200lbs and just cant stand myself. I am going to the gym but need to start cracking down on the eating thing. My in-laws are in town so its been a non stop eat fest over there. I don't think I've lost a pound since I delivered!!! I am so sick of being fat I want my old body back and it is so frustrating that it takes me forever to loose weight... I wish I was one of those girls you see in the store that just had a baby and is a skinny lil thing you just want to hit her... or I was one of those people that all they have to do is breastfeed and the weight just falls off. But I'm not if anything my body stores the fat while nursing just in case there might not be food on the planet.
On top of my own pity party my dh is still in internship for paramedic school and working his shift at the fire dept. so he is never home! I am in such need of a break. I've become such a grouch at home I feel sorry for the dog and anyone else that pisses me off at the moment. I am not being the best parent to ds right now either due to Ashlyns high demands and not letting me put her down (god bless the sling). I just really want to be the happy perfect AP family but right now I feel like were far from it. And the house work never ends! Laundry is forever ongoing due to a toddler/dh/ and spit-up. so its not hard enough our vacuum decides to die on us so I have to dip into the funds to buy another one! Errrr I just cant even stand myself being this grouchy.
Dh and I relationship seems to be suffering a little with him gone all the time. We do have our 'bed' time but I need more from him right now... like help around here! He should just buy me a maid and a massage to make me happy
Sorry ladies for the vent but I have nobody else right now... and I mean nobody! I just hate feeling down about life when I know I have so much to be thankful for.
Sorry I haven't responded to everyone else's posts... I haven't had time to read anything... put me down as bad mommy club member :
Hope everyones babes are doing fantastic and life is great elsewhere... off to go clean yeeepie!

Mommy to Two
Old 09-16-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
That's just how my little girl is too - she's TINY, her little sister is as big and bigger in some ways, but she will starve rather than give in. It was a huge victory this week to get her to try lasagna, which is a food that she SHOULD like - she recently gave in to pizza with red sauce and she LOVES cheese and loves pasta. She could and would live happily on just macaroni and cheese for dinner but it has to be done a certain way. She's a cheese and cereal kind of girl.

Oh my gosh Liam is a macaroni and cheese kid. He only likes some frozen and he sometimes request home made which means it comes from a box not my home made which is to die for. He eats waffles, pancakes, and if the moon is right sometimes yogurt. He loves onion rings which is kind of weird for a picky eater but his mainstay is top ramen. He is celiac positive and we seem to have issues about every 6 months so we are not sure. He literally has starved himself if there is no food he does not like. When I say starved he has gone 5 days without eating.

Heidi
Old 09-16-2007, 07:51 PM

Firemom

just remember everything is a cycle there are up's and down's. It will get better and you won't even remember this part of your life looking back. Hang in there.

Mom of 3.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:51 AM

Eeeeek, my baby has a tooth! The bottom right tooth has popped on through this morning with no muss or fuss. She's been a little fussy this afternoon, but I think she's just behind on sleep mostly, it's been a busy few days, my BIL was getting married and DD was being dragged along to all the various events. Thank goodness for babywearing or she wouldn't have napped at all.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 09-17-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Oh my gosh Liam is a macaroni and cheese kid. He only likes some frozen and he sometimes request home made which means it comes from a box not my home made which is to die for. He eats waffles, pancakes, and if the moon is right sometimes yogurt. He loves onion rings which is kind of weird for a picky eater but his mainstay is top ramen. He is celiac positive and we seem to have issues about every 6 months so we are not sure. He literally has starved himself if there is no food he does not like. When I say starved he has gone 5 days without eating.
Haley has a little more range in some ways. She's mac n cheese (Kraft or Velveeta - oy), she loves yogurt, cheese of most every kind (except parm), applesauce is the only fruit I can get in her, most cereals, scrambled eggs, breads, french toast, pancakes and waffles, mashed potatoes, grilled cheese of course is heaven for her. She likes most juices. Bland, bland, bland stuff. Just recently I've gotten her to try tomato soup and cheese pizza and now lasagna. Oh and she even liked a storebought smoothie with all kinds of hidden goodness, but I haven't been able to replicate something that fooled her at home. I tried to slip spinach in on her (which I LOVE in a smoothie) but she didn't believe that something green could taste good.

She doesn't like Top Ramen at all - nothing that resembles, smells like, or is named after meat of any kind. (My oldest, though she will eat other stuff, would happily live on Top Ramen every day.) She also claims to not like chocolate, though that one falls by the wayside more and more - I think she's down to only not liking baked chocolate chips cookies - but she likes chocolate chip cookie dough .

She's small, but doing well and growing, just slower than her younger siblings so that they are catching up to her fast. Funniest thing, kinda, is that she was the heaviest at birth - 9 lbs. 13 oz and 2 weeks "early". When I type out all the things she does eat, it makes me feel a little better - I try to pick the best options of the stuff she does like most of the time - but it does get frustrating either fighting her or making 2 meals. I do keep trying though. She's getting a little easier to reason with as she gets older.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:58 PM

!!! all these teeth popping out make me nervous! Claire is quickly turning into a drool monster and I'm wondering if she won't get teeth way earlier than my other two did (8 and 9 months)

{{{{hugs}}}} to all pity party members, No advice to offer, just comisseration. I am trying trying trying to not eat ALL the food in this house and I've managed to squeeze in crunches here and there at random times over the last few days. That exersaucer is turning out to be a real help, and it's something I would never have bought myself :

I think it's dawning on me that the days are long-gone when I could bounce back from pregnancy, eat whatever I wanted (or not eat), had no health consequences for totally crappy habits, etc. Now I have to make a concerted effort if I want to stay anywhere *near* as healthy/strong/thin as I used to be!

All the picky eater/cheese talk...well, i tend to believe the theory that starting them on baby food too early makes for a picky eater, but that's just due to personal experience. Ian started jarred baby food and nasty "baby cereal" at 4 months, and he stayed largely on baby food until over a year old (i.e. wouldn't try/didn't want other things i offered). He had/has other "issues" too tho, like he hated holding a spoon well into toddlerhood and he refused to self-feed until nearly 2 beause he hated getting his hands dirty! He's still a veeery "cautious" eater at age 8, and loves mac and cheese above all Lilianna on the other hand, started herself on solids at 8 months when she swiped a cucumber off my subway sandwich. She tried everything, but ate mainly raw and vegan til she was over 2, and she's still the kid who will try anything so long as it's her own idea Hmm, maybe it's all just down to personality....?

a quick question--how many carriers does everyone have?? I only have 3 (well 2 not counting the BH), and it seems like I am constantly having to wash them, they're always getting spit up on, peed on, drooled all over, etc etc, and then I find myself without a carrier while I'm waiting for the laundry to finish--usually when Claire really wants a nap--argh!

okay gtg, she's up!

Old 09-17-2007, 02:02 PM

I have 11 carriers (a mei tai, a BH, fleece sling, hotsling, wahm pouch, mammas milk silk, zany toes silk, kelty hard frame pack, hip hammock, solarveil sling, ella roo wrap).

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:11 PM

hehehe...I've got a maya pouch, my standard taylormade batik ringsling, and the BH i just got for dh--am looking at a gypsymama bali baby breeze, a moby wrap, and i just bought another mei tai from Laura!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 PM

I have an Ergo (wearing that right now - Henry's been sleeping on my back for a while now and I'm packing and shipping orders!), a BabyHawk, two Kozys, a Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch, a Pea in a Pod hemp pouch, a Storchenweige, a Moby, a homemade microfleece wrap. Ooh, that's only 9! I am thinking about a Beco, and could easily sell my Moby and my pouches to make room/money for more mei tais or soft structured carriers - they're definitely what works best for me so I don't know why I have the other stuff anymore really.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:28 PM

Wow, I only have 3 carriers: ring-sling, baby bjorn (a gift) and Ergo (borrowing)... I love the ergo!

Teething- This morning while nursing, I thought it felt a little sharper than normal Is that a sign he is going to pop a tooth? He's been drooling non-stop for 2 months straight!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 09-17-2007, 09:27 PM

I may sound too dumb to be a mom, but this is my first baby carrier (a snugli) that will work on the back too - but it says not until later (6 or 8 months I'm thinkin?). I flipped Sam up and around there tonight and it seemed pretty much the same as when he rides on the front, head against me so no worries about floppy head - so why would they say not to do back carry until later? Well, they said because of floppy head, but am I doing it wrong because there was no head floppin'?

In other Sam news, he saw the NP today and he gained half a pound in exactly a week from his appointment last week when he was sick, so he's up to 13 lbs. 14 oz. Otherwise uneventful. Woohoo.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 PM

At our well baby check up S'ang weighed 11 lbs 2 oz. He has dropped in percentile, but he is still bigger than his sister. I can't beleive that he is 4 months already!
ECing went pretty good today. This mornign as soon as I put him on his potty, he let out a big poop! I think he is catching on too.
Last night was a hard night for me sleep wise. Both kids were so fussy. I would fall asleep nursing one, and find the other kid on the boob.
Today S'ang was extra fussy too. I hope it's a growth spurt, and not a tooth. DD didn't get her teeth until she was close to 11 months.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 PM

wow! MSAX & emily, you're nutty with the carriers!? : (maybe i'm just a little jealous!)

i have 3....a maya ring sling, a moby & a mei tai. we also have a baby bjorn that someone gave us with dd1 & a kelty backpack for hiking but those are mostly for dh. i just started using my moby because the weather cooled off & i really like it. we were away for the weekend & ezra was attached to me 24/7. the moby was super easy for him to nap in! i really love my mei tai, too, because the back carry is the best. the maya was my favorite when he was a wee one but i'm sure i'll use it again as he gets older because it's so easy to do the hip carry.

stephanie asl.gif

User Tag List