It's September! Calling all April 2007 mama's! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 441 Old 09-04-2007, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, facing foward in a Mei Tai (this is a Kozy) with a ribbon
I used white ribbon just for the photos, normally it's black. I roll the Mei Tai to make the body shorter (since she likes her arms out), then I tie the Mei Tai apron style, this creates a seat for the baby (which is what makes it a healthier position than one with dangling legs like in a Bjorn)... As you can see, she is not hanging from the crotch. She's very happy in this position which is kind of similar to a front carry in a wrap.

Anyways, here are a few pictures just so you get an idea.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1200/...a27fd35eda.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1103/...63517a990f.jpg

Oh and Queen: yep, I am french : But I was raised abroad where I learned english, so I'm also bilingual.
#62 of 441 Old 09-04-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
Ok, facing foward in a Mei Tai (this is a Kozy) with a ribbon
I used white ribbon just for the photos, normally it's black. I roll the Mei Tai to make the body shorter (since she likes her arms out), then I tie the Mei Tai apron style, this creates a seat for the baby (which is what makes it a healthier position than one with dangling legs like in a Bjorn)... As you can see, she is not hanging from the crotch. She's very happy in this position which is kind of similar to a front carry in a wrap.

Anyways, here are a few pictures just so you get an idea.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1200/...a27fd35eda.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1103/...63517a990f.jpg

Oh and Queen: yep, I am french : But I was raised abroad where I learned english, so I'm also bilingual.
I withdraw my comment regarding dangling legs in regards to doudat! That looks great! What happens if she wants to go to sleep, though?
#63 of 441 Old 09-04-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
I withdraw my comment regarding dangling legs in regards to doudat! That looks great! What happens if she wants to go to sleep, though?
Hihi, glad it meets with your approval
She never did fall asleep in that position. If I see she's getting cranky, I normally turn her to face me and then she fall asleep.
#64 of 441 Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewpie-o View Post
Thanks, Susan, for those links! I can't remember if I mentioned it in any of my previous posts, but that was actually DD's favorite way to ride in the sling for a long time....but just recently, she has acted like it bothers her to have her legs folded up inside the sling, so that's why I was trying to think of an alternative. It worked SOOOOOOOOO well, while it lasted. I think it makes her feel too confined now that she is bigger and not as "bendy".

hehe well cool i might a missed that she used to like it lol! my babys all liked it for a short time, Caroline likes it for a few minutes but would rather be in cradle hold in the sling,

Doudat- how cool i might have to try that out! another friend of mine and i where talking about this verything and i will show her your pics cause she wants to beable to where her baby out in the babyhawk!
i got a moby and have yet to use it out of the house but i got it so Caroline can face out in it!

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#65 of 441 Old 09-04-2007, 11:22 PM

couple pics from this week
Caroline watching daddy play guitar she loved it!
http://jacobsweb.org/gallery/album73/IMG_0704

as you can see her feet are her favorite toy right now
http://jacobsweb.org/gallery/album73/IMG_0704

and i took this today she was nursing naked in bed and had both hands and her foot holding my breast! i had to lighten these up cause i had to turn off the flash cause it was to bright then no flash was to dark lol but these are cute!
http://jacobsweb.org/gallery/album73/IMG_0723
this one thats her foot between her hands and my breast! lol
http://jacobsweb.org/gallery/album73/IMG_0726

#66 of 441 Old 09-04-2007, 11:52 PM

Adorable pics! I tried the Mei-tai w a ribbon and found the body of the MT too long. I will try folding it up. What do you mean by apron style?
#67 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 01:12 AM
Banned

So cute Susan!!

Doudat, that's adorable how she's smiling and hanging forward there!
#68 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 02:26 AM

doudat, thanks for the pics, but I am still confused. I really want to try this, so what does apron style mean? How did you fold it to make the body shorter? Do you tie that up with the ribbon??? Any chance you can take step by step pics? I wonder if this is on babywearer....hmmmmm....I will go look.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#69 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 02:47 AM

I was wondering if forward facing is okay, since he'd be sitting kness bent on my 'mummy tummy' like a chair
#70 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 04:08 AM

I can't believe that ya'll are already on page 4!!!!! It's only the 4th!!

I promise to go back and respond to the thread, but I had to show you all this:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...l/IMGP1815.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...l/IMGP1816.jpg

I have NEVER sewn anything before!!! This is the very first thing EVER!! It's just a practice pocket, made from 2 recieving blankets that were blue (and therefore not used as much as our pink ones!) And I ended up putting touchtape on it...it looks awful, but it's a real, honest to goodness pocket!!

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
#71 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 04:27 AM

It sounds like my DD is one of the tiny ones around here She's STILL wearing NB sizes! she was a 6lb 0oz peanut when she was born and now she's a long skinny 13lbs. Just pulled out 0-3 a couple weeks ago. She was in preemie diapers for at least a month, now finally getting tighter in the 1s.
Sometimes I worry about if she's gaining enough (ebf) but at every wbv, Dr. says she doing great. and my mom says thats the way me and my sibs were too... (still am) small but consistent
Also DD is VERY active. Been holding head up for months, wanting to stand just holding fingers, rolling over, scooting like crazy, sits mostly unassisted (as of today). and she's frustrated because she can't scoot/crawl on tummy, lol. No laughing yet tho I can't wait for that!
I can't remember if I read it in this thread (i have like 6 tabbed windows open) but I totally agree with what i have read all over the internet about the previous generation --- i.e. a lot of our baby's gparents. They seem to have some strange obsession with wanting to start our babies on solids. With most things my parents have been pretty respectful, but they are starting to try my patience lately.
Let's set the stage: last Friday, out to eat with DD, my sis, and my parents... DD is soooo tired because she didn't hardly nap from swollen gums. So obviously fussy. They want to help... sure you can hold her, (I know it won't help but, OK) and my mom says "she's probably hungry, give her some cinnamon bun. Can i give her some?" What the heck? NO! how does that makes sense... give her a bunch of sugar for her first solids?! And THEN... my dad puts his finger over a straw to draw some liquid out of his cup to feed her. IT'S PEPSI! Again I'm thinking, "WHAT?" Both me and my 18 yo sister yell at him as he's (without asking) putting it to her mouth (sis does day care and knows WHY kids don't need caffeine). My parents are looking at each other incredulously, and one of them says, "it's not a big deal".
Well, my sis and I talked later, we can't figure out how we both ended up the way we are if my parents were doing stuff like that when we were babies. Lol, or maybe that explains some things. NE one else got unwanted near-death, no, I mean, near-solids experiences yet? lol.
anyway... enough of that, I've been hovering over the april 07 threads for a while but never had much to say yet... but i love hearing from all u! our babies are superbabies
-Rivka

Wife to J. Mama to girly S (4/07), little boy blue E (1/10) and tiny peanut girl due (7/12)

#72 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
doudat, thanks for the pics, but I am still confused. I really want to try this, so what does apron style mean? How did you fold it to make the body shorter? Do you tie that up with the ribbon??? Any chance you can take step by step pics? I wonder if this is on babywearer....hmmmmm....I will go look.
Ok, I'll do a step by step tutorial on friday cause we've rented a cottage and I'm leaving this morning. It's crazy easy but I agree that the picture is not that self-explanatory
#73 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 09:23 AM

That looks Awesome!!! good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firsttimepreggers View Post

I have NEVER sewn anything before!!! This is the very first thing EVER!! It's just a practice pocket, made from 2 recieving blankets that were blue (and therefore not used as much as our pink ones!) And I ended up putting touchtape on it...it looks awful, but it's a real, honest to goodness pocket!!

#74 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 09:29 AM

Wow your baby is just fine!! if she is 13 lbs now and was born at 6 lbs she has MORE then doubled her birth weight! which they like to see by 6 months ( i think it could be 1 year? but i think its 6 months)
and my dd was born at 7lbs 4 oz and now weighs 15lbs 7 oz so its pretty compareable to each other in terms of how much each of gained! sounds to me like your doing a super job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkajean View Post
It sounds like my DD is one of the tiny ones around here She's STILL wearing NB sizes! she was a 6lb 0oz peanut when she was born and now she's a long skinny 13lbs. Just pulled out 0-3 a couple weeks ago. She was in preemie diapers for at least a month, now finally getting tighter in the 1s.
Sometimes I worry about if she's gaining enough (ebf) but at every wbv, Dr. says she doing great. and my mom says thats the way me and my sibs were too... (still am) small but consistent

-Rivka

#75 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:

it looks great! I am in awe - I barely can get dinner on the table - let alone have a sewing project.
#76 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 AM

Well Johnny had his 4mo WBV today...

He's 25 3/4" and 15 lbs 2oz. My cute long & lean baby I will try to post some new pics soon...everyone else is so on top of that - I think I haven't put any pics online since he was 2mo!!!

The doctor was reasuring about my milk supply coming back up once I am home again (the end of this month) as long as I keep puting him to the breast as much as possible. I did not like what he said about solids as well as the doctor I saw last time. This doctor said 4-6mos (but you can wait longer if breastfeeding) but the other doctor had told me a minimum of 6-8mos. Johnny seems really interested to start solids, so it will probably be 6mos - but I just don't feel comfortable with him eating now, KWIM?

He got his shots : and is sleeping now, last time he took a long nap and then was fussy all day - though tylenol helped some. I'm hoping he does better this time because he will be at daycare all afternoon.

Ohhh...he's "too heavy" for the bassinet insert to his pack-n-play now, but I use it a lot because I can put him to sleep there and push it into whatever room I'm in so I can keep an eye on him...what are your thoughts? DH thinks he's fine in there for a while yet...but I would never forgive myself if something happened! (The wieght max is 15lbs).

Also- today he suddenly decided he doesn't like diaper changes - each time I've changed him today he has wiggled cried and tried to roll/twist away. This morning I braced him with my arm.,,I felt horrible - I know it didn't hurt, but I hate the idea that I was holding him down!
#77 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Question for everyone in here:

When are you guys starting solids for your babies? Mine was born April 1st and he weighs around 15 lbs now, (actually I haven't weighed him recently, he might be over 15). Anyway, I forgot when it's safe to start rice cereals. I have a 2 year old and I THINK I fed him around 6 months.

Thanks,
Nonny!
#78 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 01:39 PM

Dh and I managed to DTD yesterday evening while G was taking her late afternoon siesta. I was able to shower (it had been a few days) and while I was in there, The G Force arose with a vengeance.

To appease her, DH took her into "her room" (read: where all her clothes and other things are stored but where she generally spends no time) to change her diaper. Once naked, she was very happy....so happy that as she and daddy played, she poked him HARD in the eye.

DH went to the urgent treatment clinic this morning b/c it was still really hurting him, and they told him she had scratched his cornea...so now he has to wear an eye patch and put some kind of eye drops in his eye. He looks like a pirate. He said his fav part of it all was explaining to the doctor that his four month old daughter beat him up.
#79 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 01:44 PM

Great sewing job!!!

Can't wait for the MT tutorial! You will have to submit it to Mamatoto (is that the right name?)

Re: Solids. I just called LLL and she said don't offer until at least 6 months-even if you have a big babe. Our ds1 wasn't even interested until he cut his 1st tooth-@ 9 mon. Then I gave him avocados, some prechewed meat, yogurt, blueberries, bananas, fresh applesauce-all gradually, of course. It seemed to work out great-he still loves to eat!
#80 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Oh solids! Oh how I want to "use" them. Poor Sophia was just crying at me this weekend. I have a couple of theories:
1. Growth spurt
2. I was sick over the weekend so my supply might be down
3. My supply always dips in the afternoon
4. She likes bottles. She is used to getting them during the day while I'm at work so I think she was ticked off this long weekend when I forced her to nurse. Why do I think this? Because at one point she saw her sister with a bottle (C has food issues and is allergic to many things) and she cried like she wanted that. Poor thing just wants the milk to come out and not to have to suck and suck.

I keep thinking I should maybe just let her drink the bottles, but I think she gets more out than when I pump. I soooooo wanted to give her solids last night just to get something in her tummy (instead dh gave her a bottle of bm), but I absolutely firm on no solids until at least 6 months. I want to avoid the allergy issue.

So I'm at work trying to pump and drinking my mother's milk tea. I started some blessed thistle.

I'm still debating what to do when I do start solids. Maybe avacodo or pears.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#81 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 03:27 PM

solids: planning somewhere between 6 and 9 months, start with veggies and fruits (sweet potato & avocado first), then add eggs, then meat. No grains planned for quite a while, then ancient grains mostly, nothing extruded (cheerios, etc), and only soaked/sprouted when wheat.
#82 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsgrl84 View Post

When are you guys starting solids for your babies? Mine was born April 1st and he weighs around 15 lbs now, (actually I haven't weighed him recently, he might be over 15). Anyway, I forgot when it's safe to start rice cereals. I have a 2 year old and I THINK I fed him around 6 months.

Thanks,
Nonny!
I would Wait till he is sitting up unassisted, has teeth, and really intrested in them, and rice cereal is gross and has no nutrition, so i would totally skip that and start with fresh banana or avocado.

I don't plan on feeding Caroline till way over 6 months
6 months is the earliest i would feed a baby solids.
my oldest started at 6 months but didn't really eat till 9 months
my second i started at 5 months, she was sitting up and had 2 teeth and was crawling and intrested in food, she has the WORST allergies so i won't be repeating that ! DS i gave taste at 6 months but again he didn't start really eating till 9 months so i figure Caroline will be about 9 months when she really starts to get solids.. she might have a taste of something before that

#83 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 05:19 PM

I'm pretty much waiting until Oliver can self feed, because that is when my first really started eating. She never liked being spoon fed. BUT - if he shows signs of being hungry after I nurse him, I'll start earlier, with some avocado or banana.
#84 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 06:35 PM

I've already started with Hannah, but she is way ahead of herself, and she kind of forced the issue!

I started with some jarred Earth's Best, but today I gave her a giant carrot, peeled and cut so that it was too big to fit completely in her mouth...no choking hazard, and she can still gum it enough to feel like she's eating something. I'll probably do the same with a whole apple...so that she gets dissolved apple bits, but no 'pieces', KWIM? I also need to go to the store for some bananas and some avocados. I want to cut them up so they are small and 'pick-upable'. That should be fun to watch!

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
#85 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I've already started with Hannah, but she is way ahead of herself, and she kind of forced the issue!

I started with some jarred Earth's Best, but today I gave her a giant carrot, peeled and cut so that it was too big to fit completely in her mouth...no choking hazard, and she can still gum it enough to feel like she's eating something. I'll probably do the same with a whole apple...so that she gets dissolved apple bits, but no 'pieces', KWIM? I also need to go to the store for some bananas and some avocados. I want to cut them up so they are small and 'pick-upable'. That should be fun to watch!
Abby loves chewing on those huge carrots. I think she is teething, and it seems to give her relief. Plus, she can hold it herself (for a time). She also eats sweet potatoes a few times a week - maybe every 2-3 days she has a tablespoon (I make ~1oz servings, and she gets about half of it down). She has been grabbing for food at dinner (she sits with us) so I try to give it to her then.
#86 of 441 Old 09-05-2007, 09:05 PM

Yeah, I've started sitting her at the table with us, and feeding her a tiny bit then. I'll give her a sippy of spring water or a bottle of pumped milk, but it's mainly to play with, because it just goes right down her front.

#87 of 441 Old 09-06-2007, 03:18 AM

Doudat, thanks. I will await them eagerly & will try it when I go to my baby wearing meeting this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsgrl84 View Post

When are you guys starting solids for your babies?
Not until at least 6 months & showing all the signs of readiness for solids. Sitting up unattended, can pincher grasp & bring food to her own mouth, tounge thrust reflex gone. Then we will begin to play with solids.

Those are pretty awesome. You have every right to be proud. On a personal note, I wonder if we live near each other. Ever visit Kissui in Redlands???

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen_anne78 View Post
He said his fav part of it all was explaining to the doctor that his four month old daughter beat him up.
: Now that is just too funny!

My life has be (bad word) crazy! My Mom had emergency surgery almost 2 weeks ago & now has an infection in her incision. I was there cleaning it up today & changing her clothes & bed & poor Abby cried the whole time. I think I am going to go CRAZY!!!! Send me some peaceful vibes....I need them!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#88 of 441 Old 09-06-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen_anne78 View Post
Dh and I managed to DTD yesterday evening while G was taking her late afternoon siesta. I was able to shower (it had been a few days) and while I was in there, The G Force arose with a vengeance.

To appease her, DH took her into "her room" (read: where all her clothes and other things are stored but where she generally spends no time) to change her diaper. Once naked, she was very happy....so happy that as she and daddy played, she poked him HARD in the eye.

DH went to the urgent treatment clinic this morning b/c it was still really hurting him, and they told him she had scratched his cornea...so now he has to wear an eye patch and put some kind of eye drops in his eye. He looks like a pirate. He said his fav part of it all was explaining to the doctor that his four month old daughter beat him up.
Well, at least it was her and not during DTD because you were out of practice!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#89 of 441 Old 09-06-2007, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

I'm done pak so I can two hand type. Wow! There was alot to read while I was pumping! Thanks all for the distraction! It makes the time go faster.

Firsttimepreggers: I'm in total awe of you! Good sewing!

#90 of 441 Old 09-06-2007, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

c has a ton of allergies so we're trying to avoid that this time around. No grains (especially those gerber puffs) until after a year. We'll probably still avoid cereal bits and puffs so as not to expose C.

I'm still wanting to make my own baby food, but I can barely find time to make supper for the rest of us after working all day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page