It's September! Calling all April 2007 mama's! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 441 Old 09-10-2007, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post
Ohh...and I must officially be a mom because we started looking into buying a minivan today and I can't think of another vehicle that will meet my needs better....

My DH swears by his mini-van! It is so much easier loading the girls in and out then an SUV. We have a Honda Odyssey and it has served us well.

Wow! G-force is long! Glad she did OK with shots. Is there a reason why you opted not to get the shot for strep pneumo? S got the same shots as G as well at the pneumo one.

boob hickey

car salesman!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 441 Old 09-10-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateSerj View Post
lilmamma- Johnny is so sweet!!!
: thank you : so is Caroline!

oh...19 days of work left.....maybe we can get together next month and you and Caroline can celebrate with us lol

Yeah...the poor salesman - you should have seen hs face but al he said was, I'll throw it away for you," ...he must have realy wanted a sale!

Me and Johnny have runny noses : and he's like part of my boob all day today...poor lil guy...his first time to be sick.

Ok- I've been MDCing way too much today (I'm suposed to be researching for school) and now it's off to clean up the yard from my crazy grass chomping : boy and all his toys!
#123 of 441 Old 09-10-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post
:
oh...19 days of work left.....maybe we can get together next month and you and Caroline can celebrate with us lol
ohh yay!!! we would love to!!!

caroilne is a fuss pot today!! dh came home early but took dd1 to buy a flute for her ! yay music! but want him to hurry back and take this baby

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#124 of 441 Old 09-10-2007, 08:23 PM

Ok, ask and you shall receive!!!

I made a mini Mei Tai front-tie tutorial! Not the best, but I think you'll get the idea. Hope it helps some of you understand...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1846985...7601944874910/
#125 of 441 Old 09-10-2007, 08:30 PM

Oh and soooo fun, I started a knitting class!!! Seriously addicting, I'm becomming a horrible mom, letting romi roll around while I do "just one more row"
Move over diaperswappers, wool is my new addiction
#126 of 441 Old 09-10-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggins&Doody View Post
I forgot where mobile babies are supposed to take naps!
Abby takes naps on the floor, on a blanket or similar. I just nurse her there and avoid disturbing her. There are some nice quiet corners of my living room that work great!!!
#127 of 441 Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 AM

My dd1 is sick today, woke up with a runny nose that only got worse as the day went by. : And she is super whiny and clingy, which makes keeping Baby Romea happy a difficult task. I've spent the last two hours trying to get her to blow her nose, so she can finally sleep, but she refuses. So she wakes up every three minutes screaming Mami! Mami! It's hard to maintain my balance.
Dh is not here, as usual. Ugh. He's been working 12-18 hr days in the last four months, every day and today he went to the movies.

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)
#128 of 441 Old 09-11-2007, 03:58 AM

doudat thank you! I get it now! I will try this tomorrow. My Mom is in the hospital so I am babywearing constantly...I am so tired!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#129 of 441 Old 09-11-2007, 04:15 AM

Nani - welcome! What sweet little blondies you have.

Scarlet was fussy today, too. Last night she was feverish and her teeth/gums have been really bothering her, poor thing. So I'd read that clove oil helps with sore gums. Well, I don't have that on hand, so I rubbed the slightest bit of ground clove on her gums and she stopped crying immediately, it was amazing. That and a wet washcloth on her head to cool her down and she was my calm and happy baby again.

LilMomma, I love the pics of Johnny squirming out of his seat .

Knitting, sewing mommas, when do you find the time??? I should be doing something besides lurking on MDC...
#130 of 441 Old 09-11-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
Oh and soooo fun, I started a knitting class!!! Seriously addicting, I'm becomming a horrible mom, letting romi roll around while I do "just one more row"
Move over diaperswappers, wool is my new addiction
...i always joke that that will be my kids memory of me...always answering "just one more row" when they need something. knitting is addicting. i'm making my first pair of longies.

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
#131 of 441 Old 09-12-2007, 01:13 PM

#132 of 441 Old 09-12-2007, 03:18 PM

I am sure there are other discussions of this elsewhere on MDC, but I haven't found much yet, thought I'd ask here:

Anyone else avoiding "made in china" products? With all the recalls lately, DH have decided to not buy any, and are finding it pretty hard!

We started out doing all organic clothes for Quinn, but it got too expensive, so now we are doing all cotton or wool, and just now starting to avoid China.

If anyone else is doing this also, any good places that have little to no made in china products?
#133 of 441 Old 09-12-2007, 05:24 PM

i would like to, but it is really hard! everything is made in china!

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#134 of 441 Old 09-12-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
I am sure there are other discussions of this elsewhere on MDC, but I haven't found much yet, thought I'd ask here:

Anyone else avoiding "made in china" products? With all the recalls lately, DH have decided to not buy any, and are finding it pretty hard!

We started out doing all organic clothes for Quinn, but it got too expensive, so now we are doing all cotton or wool, and just now starting to avoid China.

If anyone else is doing this also, any good places that have little to no made in china products?
We are too. He only has a few wood and cloth toys and luckily hasn't complained yet
#135 of 441 Old 09-12-2007, 06:14 PM

The toys are easy I think, as there are a good number of European countries making good natural toys, but where are you finding baby clothes not made in China?

I walked into Gymboree today and could not find a single item not made in china!

grrrrrrr....

I want to go back to organic, but I don't want to spend is college fund on organic clothes!
#136 of 441 Old 09-12-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
The toys are easy I think, as there are a good number of European countries making good natural toys, but where are you finding baby clothes not made in China?

I walked into Gymboree today and could not find a single item not made in china!

grrrrrrr....

I want to go back to organic, but I don't want to spend is college fund on organic clothes!
We honestly do buy all organic. There are a few non-organic things that were not bought by us, but I don't put them on him very often with the exception of a tiedyed dress (he wears 'girl' and 'boy' clothes). We pay the big bucks for lapsaky, hanna andersson (ebay ) and happygreenbee--china, but fair trade. He doesn't have very much clothes but since we do laundry daily anyway, we only need 3 outfits but have a few more than that for fun's sake. The companies I mentioned make clothes that fit for a while. We've bought from kate quinn but the clothes don't fit as many sizes. We also buy t-shirts in 18 months. They're big, but not rediculously so.
#137 of 441 Old 09-12-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
We honestly do buy all organic. There are a few non-organic things that were not bought by us, but I don't put them on him very often with the exception of a tiedyed dress (he wears 'girl' and 'boy' clothes). We pay the big bucks for lapsaky, hanna andersson (ebay ) and happygreenbee--china, but fair trade. He doesn't have very much clothes but since we do laundry daily anyway, we only need 3 outfits but have a few more than that for fun's sake. The companies I mentioned make clothes that fit for a while. We've bought from kate quinn but the clothes don't fit as many sizes. We also buy t-shirts in 18 months. They're big, but not rediculously so.
We thought about just getting a little and washing a lot, but there are many reasons I don't want to do that much laundry, plus we want the clothes to last a long time (we want 4-5 kids and want to reuse clothes as much as possible) so I'd be worried about the clothes holding up with that much washing! I did look at the happygreenbee and liked the stuff, but $50 an outfit! Yikes! We have some Kate Quinn, but agree about the sizing issue, and also I find her material to stretch out awkwardly. My favorite stuff is Maggie's, but she only has a few short sleeved onesies, I wish she'd do more!
#138 of 441 Old 09-13-2007, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

someone recently wrote a book about their year spent not buying anything from China. She commented that tennis shoes were the hardest thing to find.

A Year Without "Made in China": One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#139 of 441 Old 09-13-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
We thought about just getting a little and washing a lot, but there are many reasons I don't want to do that much laundry, plus we want the clothes to last a long time (we want 4-5 kids and want to reuse clothes as much as possible) so I'd be worried about the clothes holding up with that much washing! I did look at the happygreenbee and liked the stuff, but $50 an outfit! Yikes! We have some Kate Quinn, but agree about the sizing issue, and also I find her material to stretch out awkwardly. My favorite stuff is Maggie's, but she only has a few short sleeved onesies, I wish she'd do more!
I didn't like my maggie's adult clothing, so I didn't get anything but socks from there for the baby. We do diaper landry everyday or two, so it's normal for us. The owner of Lapsaky says that her garments are built to last several children and she did a repair for us free and fast. The fabric is very strong yet soft.
#140 of 441 Old 09-13-2007, 02:24 AM

Doudat - thanks for the tutorial! I really want a meitai oh so badly. I tried the crotch-cinching thing w/ out ergo and it didn't work so well. I need to just break down and get a meitai

Oh, and I have just started learning how to knit as well!!! I'd LOVE to take classes. I'm going to have to look into that. I mentioned my desire to learn how to knit on my blog and one of my extremely sweet readers actually mailed me a big box of beginner knitting supplies - 3 skeins of wool yarn, 3 sets of needles, and 2 how-to books! (she knew my address from when she sent Scout a gift when she was born - what an extremely generous momma!)

So far, I know how to cast on and knit and purl and bind off. I made a big practice piece of stockinette today. I messed up a few times and some the stitches look all wonky. : Also, I'm having trouble getting the edges to look neat and clean.....actually, it was just one of the edges : ...Oh well, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. :

And YES -it is SOOOOO addicting! Can't wait to hone my skills enough to make some longies for my lil gal.

Funny story - Scout and I went over to a friend's house today. She had a couple mommas from church and some other homeschooling mommas over to make cookies and hang out and teach the older kids how to make friendship bracelets. Anyway, one of the older (well, not really THAT old - maybe 45-ish) ladies was holding Scout and she said "Awe, you wanna play with those big kids, don't you?" and got down in the floor and sat Scout on the floor and just LET GO!!!!! Scout of course, immediately flopped forward and did a face-plant into the carpet, since she can't sit up by herself yet. She cried for a second, but after the lady grabbed her up really quick and comforted her, she seemed unphased and happy-go-lucky. The lady felt so embarassed. It happened too quick for me to react. I just kind of chuckled and said, "Oops - yeah - she can't sit unassisted yet - I should've warned you." The thing that is weird to me is that she has 2 children of her own. I know they are almost grown, but it seems that she would've known that most almost-5-month-olds can't sit up by themselves. I guess she forgot. She also asked me if she is crawling and standing up on her own. Uummm...No. Poor baby. I guess I know now not to assume that all mommas know how to handle a baby.
#141 of 441 Old 09-13-2007, 09:46 AM

Kewpie: You can't cinch an ergo since the waist is rigid and the body is too short. You really need something flexible. But Scout will be too big for foward facing out a couple months anyways so if you get a MeiTai, get it for other reasons than solely on the facing out factor

Knitting: I'm at the same place as you are!! Purl, knit, cast on... Oh this site is great, you can see videos of different techniques: http://www.knittinghelp.com I'm taking my class at a knitting lounge I found here and everyone there is soooo nice! And it's young-ish people, so I feel right at home! But my first practice piece sucks. I missed a lot of stitches, added on stitches, edges all wonky, I messed up in my knit vs purl stitch, but I love it!!! They have a bunch of mini-classes too for knitting socks, hats, mittens. And they have sewing courses too. They get together friday nights for "Stitch and bitch" where they just sit around knitting and talking... But I'm too shy for that yet.

As for the lady not knowing if Scout could sit, you'll see, you'll be like that too!!! You kinda forget... All the stages get mixed up in you head. One time I asked my friend over the phone if her baby was talking yet. And he's 10 months old. I looked like an idiot. I just didn't think in terms of age, it had been a while since I had seen her, I guess I thought he was older than he was

As for romi, she is sooooo much fun these days!!! I love this stage, love love love it! 5 months is amazing!!! She's so alert and cute and smiling and a joy. She sits on her own for a few minutes at a time which kind of surprised me, and finally started rolling consistently, only from back to tummy (opposite of her brother who only did tummy to back!)

Friday will be romi's first apt with a pediatrician. There's a shortage in Montreal and I couldn't find one, finally we met a couple who refered us to their clinic, so we got an apt. I'm kind of nervous about the whole delayed vax confrontation, but dh tells me to relax. We'll see. I can't wait to see how much she weighs though, that's going to be a surprise!

I also went to romi's soon to be daycare (I'm going back to work next april) and in Quebec we have subsidized daycare for 7$ a day, but the waiting lists are crazy long. But Liam got a spot in the one next to my house (like 2 minutes walk away) and when a sibling is in, you're ahead of the list so we already have a spot. They only open up spots in september, so I have to pay for her spot even if she won't be going yet, which sucks a bit, but at least it's only 7$ a day. Anyways, we went to the parent/daycare worker meeting and it was nice. The parents seemed ok, except people got to talking about the chicken pox vaccine and I said no way, and the lady next to me that works in immunology started to say how it's a question of public health and the vaccine is safe, efficient, then the lady on the other side of me started telling me that her ped, whom she trusts, said chicken pox strains nowadays are more virulent blablabla. Anyways, I felt outnumbered and I didn't want a big debate but I hated that no one was on my side.

Man, my post is long : And liam is awake, so that's it for now!
#142 of 441 Old 09-13-2007, 11:50 AM

Yes, thanks doudat for the great step-by-step...I see that the ribbon should be near the crotch...duh!:

So, I know I've been mia. Well, that's becuase my dearest son has turned into a one-man-circus. Seriously. I thought that we breezed through the 'terrible twos' pretty well, he's high-energy, busy and funny, sure, with a few tantrums, but nothing I couldn't laugh through, and that a nap wouldn't fix.
Well. Pick a description, anyone. Tazmanian devil. Fireball. Crazy. Cukoo. Whirling dirvish. Unknown space invader come to put me in the looneybin.
Like, really, the kid does not stop. He's incessantly talking. Shouting, screaming, singing, running, jumping, smashing, hitting, kicking. (in a strange happy/violent way). Sometimes he bites his lip hard and smashes the back of his fists together really fast for a few minutes, or starts panting hard, shaking his head and flapping his arms and stomping his feet, all at the same time. Sometimes he just stands there, and opens wide and screams for a whole minute, and then laughs. : Like, he has an excessive amount of energy he just can't express. And Evangeline has decided to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 6 am. So this is my morning. 5am, Eva wakes to nurse, making a ton of noise and not being pacified. 6 am, Eva is cooing, gurgling, pinching, grunting, farting and whacking her arms around in bed. 6:30, Eva back on the boob, please, please go back to sleep. This boob, now this boob, now this boob, please stop kicking me and pinching my other boob with your claws. 7 am . MOOOOMMMMYYYYYY! Axel in his crib, shouting like a banshee...and jumping like he's on a tramp until I come down and throw open the door. Daddy comes down. 'WATCH ME GO HIYA!' throws his head back and really gives it.
Good morning.
Pics to follow when I find my head.
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#143 of 441 Old 09-13-2007, 01:25 PM

HAHAHA!!! Do we live in the same house Queen?? Cause Liam is exactly the same, and so's romi, except her it's more of a 5h45am nursing marathon, grunting, crying, laughing, coughing, biting... Insane fun. And liam's banging on his bed with books/blocks/his feet yelling LALALALA or BONNE FÊTE MAMAN!! (happy birthday mom - nope, not my birthday) at the top of his voice non stop till I go get him and then he won't change his diaper but runs circles around the living room and says he's a bird... Ooof. Terrible two's are a lie. It's the terrible three's. And we have a duplex with renters on the second floor right on top of liam's bedroom. They must love him.
#144 of 441 Old 09-13-2007, 01:32 PM

: It's like we have the same life...only yours has english subtitles!
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#145 of 441 Old 09-13-2007, 02:30 PM

Aaargh, I just lost my post!!! And now ds is home from being out with dad and dd is awake. Here are some new pics, I'll update later...

Hat (http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...07/t_=91799807)

Those Thighs! http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...99807_91799807)

Teething Hurts (http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...99807_91799807)
#146 of 441 Old 09-13-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

The May mommies are ahead of us in posts for this month's thread!

#147 of 441 Old 09-13-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

We must be the most talkative thread!

#148 of 441 Old 09-13-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

I'm jealous of you knitters! DH got me a knitting kit for Christmas because he thought I could do something with my free time. Umm, yeah. I've looked at it, but that's as far as I could go. I need an instructor. I can't read the stuff. Too many grad school lectures. Too much forced verbal/hearing learning/absorbing.

I got my first set of Christmas gifts yesterday at work.

I wanted to start early and Target had free shipping on certain toys. They are the Schliech (?sp) horses and barn. My girls love playing with them. They are so sturdy and because they are solid (no holes in the body) they can go in the tub and not absorb water. Love it.

Sophia is 5 months exactly today.

doudat: I know places around here that require you to pay to hold your spot and they aren't subsidized so thank your socialist system up there. $7 isn't bad at all.

#149 of 441 Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Get posting people! We're two behind.

#150 of 441 Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

we're one behind

(gee at this rate, I'm hitting 3500 soon)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page