Camomile? could it make her sick? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2003, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am feeling like a horrible mommy this morning.

Last night, dd who is 7 months was having trouble relaxing to go to sleep, she seemed uncomfortable, gassy and restless. I had made a cup of camomile tea for myself and gave her a few sips-maybe 1 oz at the most.

She drank it, and fell asleep. She woke up a few hrs later to nurse. At 4AM, she woke up and was clearly uncomfortable. She then proceeded to have diarrhea and vomit. I nursed her before she threw up, but not after. About an hr later she fell back to sleep and slept for 1 1/2 hrs.
This morning she seems totally fine-nursing well, happy etc.

So I am wondering, did the camomile cause this??? I thought it was ok to give some to babies?
She also had a Hib shot on Tue, but it was her 3rd one and she never had a reaction like this before.

I feel awful and was so worried about her-it is the first time she has ever had any problems like that before.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2003, 01:55 PM

http://www.chatelaine.com/expert/pha...p?content=2687

I did a search and found other sites that said similar things. Yes, a person can have an allergic reaction to camomile. If a person is allergic to anything in the daisy family they may be allergic to camomile. This would include pollen. Are you or your dd's father allergic to pollen or anything in the daisy family? Allergies tend to run in families. I was unable to find out what the reactions would include.

I have given camomile to my ds and have not had any problems. He has a check-up today and I will ask the doctor what he thinks about giving an infant camomile. I will report back later today

I would not rule out the possibility that her illness could have been caused by vax. You could call your dr and report her vomiting. They may want to know if you feel she had an adverse reaction to vax.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamakiss...yup, dh is allergic to pollen, so is my dad, I never even thought! I feel SO awful. Do you think I have done her some damage? She seems fine today-happy, nursing fine etc...
is it normal for it to take so long for a reaction? I gave her the tea at 10 and she woke up sick at 4:30...

Also, I have been giving her camomilia teething remedy for a while now....she has had a lot of gas-I wonder if that is why?!

I'd be interested to hear what your dr has to say-I am way to embarrassed to call my dr-don't want a lecture-of course I will call if something else happens.

if anyone else has anyother imput, I would appreciate it!
Old 07-18-2003, 02:29 PM

Well unfortunatly my doctor was not of much help, but at least he was honest with me. He told me that I should talk to a herboligist because herbs is not something he has any experience or knowledge of dealing with.

I certainly would not worry about any permanent damage. As long as she is fine now don't worry. Also, my doc did tell me that you can not identify a true food allergy until a child is 2-3 years old. Things that they are sensitive to right now does not mean that they will later. Also, things that your dd has no problems with now could be allergies later. I would just not give her Camomile tea anymore until she is three and then try it again.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for asking! I talked to a friend of mine who is a homeopath...she said it is very unlikely that the camomile would cause a reaction like that and that it was probably the Hib vaccine...who knows! I guess I'll never know now!
Thankfully all seems to be well, she is happy and seemingly healthy!
Old 07-19-2003, 08:06 PM

My guess would be the shot, but that is just a guess. A nurse recommended we give my newborn camomile tea very diluted to help him relax one night after he was gassy from medicine they had me take. I asked my midwife later when I saw her and she thought it should be fine too. I have heard about the reaction to pollen or daisies too though, could be either one.

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 07-20-2003, 10:45 AM

I wish you wouldnt feel bad. Cammomile seems so mild and we're told it's okay. I drank it a lot while my dd was a newborn before my dad told me it could cause gas, I never heard that and listened and it seemed to help her sleeping at night since she was always making noises and fussing a bit. her dad is allergic to pollen also.
Laura
Old 07-21-2003, 01:09 AM

JMO I'd hold off on the Camomile just to be on the safe side. I don't think you've done any damage but I'd be hesitant to offer it again.
My girls have severe allergies (as do I) and I've learned you can be allergic to anything. Also you can react days later from foods, some reactions are right away but some aren't.
I hope she's feeling better soon!

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls ('94, '99 & '02) and to my little guy (12/30/09) intact & CD'ed!
Old 07-21-2003, 04:35 AM

Before you get any more vax, I'd talk to the doc about this. If it is a reaction to that, it may be something that should be held off or avoided all together IMO.

Old 07-21-2003, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the continued responses!

I did call my ped and of course they denied that there could be any connection to the shot! the shot insert does say diarrhea and vomiting was reported and more likely for the 3rd dose, which is what she had...

but...her stomach is not really back to normal. Her poops are really watery-hardly any substance to them (sorry, TMI)..

she is sleeping terribly-wants to nurse every hr 1/2..and really restless at night.

So...now I really don't know what to think. She has had nothing but breastmilk since wed.

no fever. fine during the day.

I will give it one more day and then call the dr again.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:03 AM

I just wanted to specify that chamomile and ragweed are in the same family and often people are allergic to both of them. Ragweed is a terrible weed.
I didn't figure out that chamomile gave me an itchy throat until after I read about this. I was sad. I like chamomile.

but I think if your dd is having persistant loose stools, it sounds more like a vax reaction to me (not that I know all that much, I am not vaxing). keep doing what you are doing. "nothing but breastmilk" is the best thing for an ill baby.

User Tag List