cereal for a 5 week old!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2007, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my husband works with a few older office ladies at his place of business and every time they ask him if the baby is sleeping well and he responds "not really" (she's 5 weeks old-what do you expect) they tell him we should give her cereal or mix it with breastmilk and feed her a bottle!: I keep telling him this is very bad and that it is not going to happen. Not to mention how outdated the advice is. Anyways--this morning after about 2 hours of no sleep at 4 in the morning, he wakes up and says to me "if she keeps this up she's getting cereal"!!: : I was so mad and tired and irritated by the comment that I snapped at him to do some research before he makes assinine comments like that to me ever again.

I would like some info or a link that I can show him where this is listed as "not good practice'" If you mamas have any info that would help me convice him-or his office ladies- that cereal is not good for infants I would appreciate it!! Thanks Meagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 11:24 AM

note that my son has type 1 and was delayed solids, but still wouldn't want anymore children to develop this awful disease
http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20030...ype-1-diabetes
and reasons to wait http://askdrsears.com/html/3/t032000.asp
good luck!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:24 AM

here is a whole page of info and as you scroll down there are several links on the topic as well.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ids-sleep.html

DS 5-11-06
Old 09-05-2007, 11:28 AM

My SIL's doctor told her to do that (and I think the baby might have even been a little older by then) and the poor baby screamed and cried like she was in pain almost constantly until the stuff was out of her system again....
Old 09-05-2007, 11:41 AM

Sorry, I don't have a link, but I have experience. This was very common practice about 35-45 years ago. My fil and mil are big on the idea because that is what they did with all of their kids. Mil bf all her babies, but only made it past 3-4 months with my dh (because they didn't have good formula overseas). Let's just say that they have interesting (very dated and wrong) "information" about bf and cereal and the like. Fil started asking if ds was sleeping through the night around 2 weeks old and started the cereal talk then. It is very frustrating to hear a hundred times, but we held off until 6 months to give cereal. The baby will start sleeping longer stretches very soon. Just tell dh to hang in there, and the baby is doing what babies are supposed to do. I am not sure that it is so good for them to go really long stretches at that young of an age. Bf babies need at least 8-12 good feedings a day, and it is hard for those sleepy creatures (who don't have a great idea of night vs. day at that age) to get all those in the day.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:08 PM

The only reason they gave cereal at all was because they couldn't get enough iron into formula. The could get it into cereal. So FF babies needed cereal.

Now, no formula fed or breast fed baby should get cereal before 6 mo. And I'd be pissed that your dh said that without research - even though he's probably grumpy and sleep deprived.

Let him know there are a lot of mistruths about children floating around and to take everything with a grain of salt.

Here's a couple of links (sorry is already posted, didn't read!)
Kellymom
AAP Go down to breastfeeding practices and take a look at number 6 (about 1/8 of the way down the page - very near the top!)
Quote:
6. Exclusive breastfeeding is ideal nutrition and sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months after birth.100 Infants weaned before 12 months of age should not receive cow's milk feedings but should receive iron-fortified infant formula.101 Gradual introduction of iron-enriched solid foods in the second half of the first year should complement the breast milk diet.102,103 It is recommended that breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mutually desired.104
7. In the first 6 months, water, juice, and other foods are generally unnecessary for breastfed infants.105,106 Vitamin D and iron may need to be given before 6 months of age in selected groups of infants (vitamin D for infants whose mothers are vitamin D-deficient or those infants not exposed to adequate sunlight; iron for those who have low iron stores or anemia).107-109 Fluoride should not be administered to infants during the first 6 months after birth, whether they are breast- or formula-fed. During the period from 6 months to 3 years of age, breastfed infants (and formula-fed infants) require fluoride supplementation only if the water supply is severely deficient in fluoride (<0.3 ppm).110
Kellymom (again!) explaining the readiness signs for solids

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

Old 09-05-2007, 12:13 PM

I know a woman with a 5 month old baby who has been on cereal since about 4 weeks of age. He has now moved on to STAGE 2 jarred baby food. He has all kinds of digestive issues, including reflux. I wonder why. She did all of this on her ped.'s orders!!!!! Alo, to get him to drink water out of a bottle, she puts "a pinch or two of sugar in it." ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just do not beleive that cereal causes babies to sleep longer because they have a full belly...well in our case it is not true. Maggie has severe acid reflux. She has been hospitalized twice and is now on medication 3 times a day. We use cereal (although spoon fed) to "thicken" things up. The research has mix reviews about if this helps or not. In our case it helps and there is a huge difference in what she keeps down and we actually now are gaining weight. Anyway having said that, No, Maggie does not sleep through the night. We have a medical reason for doing it. If Maggie did not have reflux there is no way she would be eating cereal now.

Heidi
Old 09-05-2007, 01:21 PM

How about the fact that both the AAP and WHO say NOTHING but breastmilk before 6 months.

-Angela
Old 09-05-2007, 03:46 PM

I'm really curious about cereal for babies for reflux. With all the warnings etc. about solids before 6 months, why are babies with reflux able to digest cereal? I always had the impression that newborns were physically unable to process solids, but this must not be true. Honestly just curious, not wanting to start a debate.

But getting back to the original post, this reminds me of people who say that FF babies sleep better. I had to FF my son because I was unable to breastfeed (long story - started on mixed feeds at 3 weeks and went on to FF only by 3 months) and I can tell you that my BF daughter sleeps a million times better than my son ever did as a baby! I think the bottles/formula gave him terrible gas and kept him from sleeping well.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieStix View Post
I'm really curious about cereal for babies for reflux. With all the warnings etc. about solids before 6 months, why are babies with reflux able to digest cereal? I always had the impression that newborns were physically unable to process solids, but this must not be true. Honestly just curious, not wanting to start a debate.
The DON'T digest it. It works by sitting there in their stomach like a weight to hold things down.

-Angela
Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 PM

"IF you give her cereal expect to sleep on the couch for awhile, buddy."

How about the American Academy of Pediatrics, is that reputable enough for him? 6-8 months of breastmilk ONLY, that's their recommendation. World health organization too.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

Old 09-05-2007, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sorry no links but this is what i know and say look in to our past look at everyone who was given this crap all i need to do is look at my brothers mother and everyone in my family they all have problems with their digestion in one way or another and as for me i never gave it to my ds at all and thankfully that my dd didnt eat it at all in any form and i never tried that till she was 2 and still waking up min.4x a night starving
Old 09-06-2007, 01:54 AM

Are you co-sleeping? At that age, I'm sure babe is wanting to nurse. Could you could bring baby to bed with you? My DS still wakes a lot but we just nurse quietly back to sleep and hardly ever wake up DH. I think it is completely normal for a baby that young to not sleep long stretches. Breast milk is digested quickly because it is the perfect food and not an un-healthy clump of goo sitting in their gut. Baby's should not have anything but breast milk before six months. Longer, if they aren't ready.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
Old 09-06-2007, 02:02 AM

i'd like to throw a couple things in real quick-like.

yes, cereal thickens milk and makes it stay down better...IF you're talking formula. the amylase in breastmilk breaks down the cereal, making it just as thin as ever. so...extra calories that are impossible for a kid that age to process, and no benefit.

my first pediatrician recommended the cereal for rae's severe reflux and swallowing disorder. when we went to children's hospital for her swallow study...we were given information regarding the amylase, and how pointless the cereal was. we now thicken with "simply thick" which has no calories and no taste.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:

But getting back to the original post, this reminds me of people who say that FF babies sleep better. I had to FF my son because I was unable to breastfeed (long story - started on mixed feeds at 3 weeks and went on to FF only by 3 months) and I can tell you that my BF daughter sleeps a million times better than my son ever did as a baby! I think the bottles/formula gave him terrible gas and kept him from sleeping well.
from my understanding, solids actually HINDER the absorption of nutrition from breastmilk. the baby can't actually digest them, but they get in the way of the good stuff. so a baby seems even MORE hungry, cause they aren't getting what they need.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

we tried cereal when dd was very young, for a day or so...she has very bad reflux... and cereal made things so much worse she just screamed constantily, she was so constipated, and also puking everything she ate, than had a BLEEDING rash on her bottom because she had an allergic reaction to the oatmeal Some babies with reflux have dysphasia because of the damage done by the acid, and asperate liquids so their feeds need to be thickened. Some mothers thicken feeds with cereal, others with thickening agents like simply thick.
I truelly believe that if a reflux baby does not have swallowing issues, cereal, solids should be delayed way past 6 months. Doctors believe the theory that if you make the food thicker/heavier the baby can't reflux it up, and therefore the problem is solved. That couldn't be further from the truth, the food is so thick that sometimes they are refluxing and CAN"T throw it up, so the acidy vomit just keeps going up and down in the espophogas causing more damage that if they just threw up. this is a bit far fetched, but I always say that you can feed a reflux baby concrete, and they are still going to reflux....I wish doc's would quit with the cereal crap already!!

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Old 09-06-2007, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I believe in most children with reflux cereal is not the answer at all. I have 5 children with various degrees of reflux from moderate to severe some still suffering from it. The one thing I have learned with children is each child is an individual and what works for one might not work for the other. I have read I think every study ever published on this issue. With Maggie our last child she has it severely. She lost tons of weight, cried all the time and it caused all kinds of other issues. She was hospitalized twice. We were at the point that they want to do one of the formulas with Maggie on top of breastfeeding (side note it was a weird talk, as the doctor told me she had never been to this point before and believed with all her heart breast-feeding was the best and she did not want me to give it up which I would not have. I was making all the calories Maggie needed she just could not keep enough of them down) All the standard medications failed plus all the normal protocol elimination diets etc. and surgery well I did not want to go down that route because of the research I did. We finally got Maggie's acid under control with zegerid but the projectile and vomiting and spitting up was just as bad. To give you an idea Maggie has never gone longer then 10 minutes between "spit ups" 24/7. When I say spit ups I mean 4-5 tablespoons of liquids coming out of her mouth at time sometimes very violently where it drips off her eyelids, the back of her hair etc. We have had people at the grocery store want to call 911 after seeing what she does. We go through minimum of 8 changes of clothes a day, 2 dozen bibs, plus 4 or 5 flannel blankets tucked under her chin for naps and quiet time, 2 dozen cloth diapers used as burp rags plus a few changes of clothes for me. She is a happy camper on her medication now the acid is not burning her any more but I really believed her quality of life sucked as a baby with the amount she vomited. If you think about it how would you feel constantly puking and having to be changed, trying to sleep and it wakes you up every 10 minutes etc. We could do yet another medication or 3 or 4 instead we decided to do rice cereal or oatmeal which is much more benign in my opinion then another prescription which most of the medication has not been tested on infants. It’s made a huge difference in the quality of our life. Maggie now can go an hour without exploding etc. She is much happier baby not spitting up 24/7. She is digesting the cereal (proof is in her diaper or I guess not in her diaper ) and has never had the thrusting of the tongue etc when we feed her. My theory on why she is able to digest it is she makes more acid then normal babies her age so it’s digested. We do not do baby food cereal but cream of rice and regular oatmeal which in theory is a little harder to digest. We also spoon feed rather then bottle feed so she stops when she is full. You know when we talk about babies not to do something before this age and that age its really an individual thing some babies are ready a bit sooner some are ready a lot later (with my kids I had a baby that was 9 months old before he was ready for solids). You know there is nothing magic about 6 months, I mean 5 months 29 days the baby could not digest and now at 6 months the baby can KWIM?

Just a side note: it’s been a tough battle with us with Maggie (and my oldest but that’s a different story). We are very informed parents. We have a doctor that we trust (we have had her 10 plus years) and on the flip side we know what long term reflux does to a baby/child as we have an almost 17 year old who has a long term health problems caused by reflux.

Heidi
Old 09-06-2007, 07:23 PM

Everyone has already given the nurtitional part of the advice so i'd just like to add that I've always done my best not to answer questions in such a way that open me up to advice from random people (whose advice I'm not looking for....i do seek advice from trusted friends and sources)...When asked if baby sleeps, I'll often say, yes, he loves to snuggle on my chest and nap - which IS true and sounds sweet and keeps people from offering unsolicited advice on how to get my normal nursing newborn to sleep a 9 hour stretch. Not lying, just avoiding unwanted comments. (Like at the store answering that baby is due weeks later than s/he really is, to avoid 100s of comments on how to get the baby to come early, including the ACE hardware lady's advice to get a trampoline....)
Old 09-06-2007, 07:54 PM

It sounds like maybe his tiredness and frustration was speaking. My DP has said many stupid things whilst tired or hungry (god help me if he's both!) I wouldn't take him seriously. I would have just rolled my eyes and said, "very funny."

User Tag List