July 2007 mama's....lets chat :-) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 138 Old 09-07-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok new mom's lets make our own place here in life with a babe since our DDC is closing

So how is everyone handling the adjustment of having another baby?
#2 of 138 Old 09-07-2007, 05:09 PM

I'm so glad there's someone else here.. most july moms moved to a different site but i can't seem to get on to it.

My dd is six weeks now and i am just absolutley blown away by her. I have three boys (9,6 and 3) who are all quite taken, also. I have been saying that she has brought a ray of pink into our lives.

It's been a pretty easy transition so far.. I thought that going from 2 to 3 was the most difficult transition.. this is just throwing another ball into the juggling act that we've become acustom (how do you spell that?) to.

Oh! I see your in syracuse... glad to see someone so close by!
#3 of 138 Old 09-07-2007, 08:14 PM

Hi Erika!

We're adjusting rather well. Sage will be 5 weeks old tomorrow. The boys just love and adore her. I wish she would comfort nurse because it would make life easier. That's what I know but alas each baby is different and everytime I think I have her figured out she goes and proves me wrong. She's usually a pretty good sleeper but decided to wake at 3 something this morning only to scream at me.. it was a very shrill scream and not something I recommend at that time in the morning. She then did it again around 6ish. My boys all knew I was not a morning mama... I'm hoping she figures that out quick. Aside from having to be taught all over again how to be a mama (because she's so different from her brothers) I think things are great.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#4 of 138 Old 09-08-2007, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

HI Nic : thanks for comming on over here with me

is anyone else having issues finding onsies that are narrow enough? dd2 is long and skinny like her mommy (well like how i use to be) and everything just looks huge on her because she's not a chubby baby

what about the tiny babies what do they expect us to wear?
#5 of 138 Old 09-08-2007, 01:04 PM

What are your thoughts/experiences with pacifiers? I'm reluctant to go down that road but she seems to be content with it (in car seat etc. when I can't be the pacifier.)... the other day we went somewhere and she fell asleep in the car.. when we got there dh put her (still in her car seat) on the picnic table, where she sat sort of dozing and sucking on this darn thing...half of me wanted to pull it out, pick her up and hold her.. the other half (per my friends suggestion) said why disturb her.. she's content.

i guess I just don't like the idea of an artificial pacifier when, as I've always said, I have two...that can never be lost, dirty, etc.

I've been madly putting all her little dresses on her, as summer is coming to an end and she'll never get to wear them again. although she seems more of a tee shirt and pants kind of girl already (or maybe its just all my boys saying that....)
#6 of 138 Old 09-08-2007, 01:27 PM

Hi Erika, hi Nic!
BAU 3 - I always swore that I would never use a pacifier before ds1 came along. he was just one of those babies who needed to suck contantly to feel calm. so begrudgingly i introduced the paci after my nipples were raw and bleeding and he was happy as a clam. i had to see a lactation consultant because his suck changed and was wreaking havoc on my nips and even she comented on what a 'sucky' baby he was. anyhow, he just turned three and he's only allowed it in the bedroom or the car now but he's so dependent on it, it's going to be a hard habit to break completely. the pacifier has been extremely useful though. besides the instant calming effect it has, he now will readily leave a playdate or the park without a fuss if i tell him ther's a 'binky' in the car
now ds2 on the other hand, firmly refused the binky and it was just so weird to me because i'm so used to calming a baby that way for car rides. now what do i do? i think if your baby readily takes the paci and is content then just go with it.

Unschooling Mama to Asher (6) and Jasper (3) Crazy obsessed needle felter and maker of toys http://www.asherjasper.etsy.com
#7 of 138 Old 09-08-2007, 02:59 PM

I hear you on the "sucky baby"thing...When ds #1 was first born and was nursing away in the hospital the nurse came in and asked how long he had been nursing.. it had been like 40 minutes or something and she sort of did a double take when i told her that...I had the luxury of being able to just nurse him all the time since he was my first...but man oh man were my nipples sore!
Iguess I just feel guilty and a little unsure as to whether I want her to become depedent on something artificial..(that sounds really snooty but its not meant to be..)

So how often do you guys bathe your baby? Schuyler loves getting in the tub with me so we've been bathing every 3-4 days, but it seems my other babies I only bathed about once a week... not that it really matters, as I'm sure plain old water won't dry her out or anything...just curious as to what everyone else is doing.
#8 of 138 Old 09-08-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's_Mommy View Post

is anyone else having issues finding onsies that are narrow enough? dd2 is long and skinny like her mommy (well like how i use to be) and everything just looks huge on her because she's not a chubby baby

OMG I am having the worst time with clothes too. He can finally wear some stuff. DS was 6 ;b and 12 oz when he was born and is 10. 5 now give or take (no digital scale, here), but he is so long and skinny. My mom says he is shaped exactly like me and she too had the worst time finding clothes. It seems like to me that all baby clothes are made much bigger than they used to be. We compared some of the stuff my mom saved of mine to his and the cut is just bigger. We have been wearing lots of tees and shorties around the house and now that he's somewhat adjusting to the carseat and I can actually go places, we do have a few outfits that don't seem that big.

Also, I am tired of my IL's wanting him to be fat. He's growing perfectly well and is just long and lean. UGH! They think he needs to be ff so he can fatten up.

As far as bathing goes, we try to 1x a week. I wish I would remember more often as he loves the bathtub and splashing in the water.

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif
#9 of 138 Old 09-09-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

im glad im not the only one with a skinny baby!

I have found that gerber onsies are cut the narrowest....and i like the child of mine brand at wal-mart and target because their stuff seems to be narrow as well!

my mom made the comment the other day about dd2 always being attached to my boob....but she would NEVER tell me to feed her formula....dd1 had lots of issues once we started her on formula, but by the time we figured out it was the formual my breasts had totally dried up. I wasn't as wise back then as i am now!
#10 of 138 Old 09-09-2007, 03:43 PM

hi moms!

i could just stare at this kid all day! i cant believe how much hes grown already. were adjusting pretty well i think, im enjoying every minute now that were over the lovely illness that the inlaws infected us with in week two. (im still pretty pissed off about that though)

we just started getting out of the neighborhood a little bit. he went in the car for the first time last week. he seemed to like it, but mommy thinks that carseats are a pain in the ass!

my guy is a long skinny fellow too, and the gerber onsies fit him the best as well. everything else is too wide. i decided that baby clothes are all ugly and screenprinted some beets and fairies on some of his. :] im also sewing patches over stupid stuff, like when a onsie says 'baby' on it, in case you mistake him for a ham or a football.

the worst problem with clothes im having right now is with pants though. the waistbands all seem too tight and the legs are all very long. i dont know what im going to do about it because winter lasts for most of the year here in rochester!

he loves going into the bath. i take him in with me once or twice a week. i think otherwise id never get one! i dont use soap, but i did use olive oil on him when he had some dry spots. i cant believe the crud he can collect between his fingers and toes in one day!

**-wendy, mama to elu!(8/1/07): **
#11 of 138 Old 09-09-2007, 05:09 PM

He gets a bath once a week, though I missed yesterday (planning to do it tonight).

Even though it's not realistic, I'm having a hard time with not being able to wear my prebaby clothes. What are you all doing to lose weight?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#12 of 138 Old 09-09-2007, 06:00 PM

Hello July moms!

Although, mine turned out to be born in August. Anyways.

I was tempted by the idea of a pacifier and we even tried it, but he wouldn't go for it at all. In the end I'm glad because I couldn't handle my baby looking like Maggie Simpson.

I'm finding that my baby's hands get cold. He's wearing a long sleeve onesie and pants and the rest of him feels perfectly warm, but his hands get a chill. Any suggestions?
#13 of 138 Old 09-09-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's_Mommy View Post

I also have a long and skinny baby! Gerber's and Child of mine fit best.

We use a paci too (something I hadn't planned on). I have such a forceful letdown and Dd gets mad when she just wants to comfort suck before falling asleep. Indigo_sue, Dh and I like to call Dd "Maggie."

I bathe Dd about 2x a week, usually because she's had an explosive poop.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#14 of 138 Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofairy View Post
the worst problem with clothes im having right now is with pants though. the waistbands all seem too tight and the legs are all very long. i dont know what im going to do about it because winter lasts for most of the year here in rochester!
: i'm in syracuse! looking forward to being burried with snow so i can cover my fat up in a bunch of layers!

i have the opposite problem with pants....they are big in waist but not long enough in length.....newborn is getting short on her but are still big in the waist....0-3 are just HUGE and fall off the second i pick her up! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

Even though it's not realistic, I'm having a hard time with not being able to wear my prebaby clothes. What are you all doing to lose weight?
me too! hubby scored me an eliptical from a neibhor that i am going to start using during naptime (hubby just got it last night) but it really bothers me that nothing fits....i only have 20lbs to lose but i would like to do that before we have to do x-mas pictures in November :

i just miss being able to wear all my fav clothes :
#15 of 138 Old 09-10-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAU3 View Post
I've been madly putting all her little dresses on her, as summer is coming to an end and she'll never get to wear them again. although she seems more of a tee shirt and pants kind of girl already (or maybe its just all my boys saying that....)
Definately, same here! We got pro pics done of her in a little pillow-case dress over a onesie... She even grinned for the camera, and I about died with pride!
In general news,
I think we're doing okay. DD is almost 7wks.
Unfortunately, last week we got two puppies that are 7wks as well (Free purebred German Shepheds... DH grew up with them and we couldn't resist).
Life sure has been hectic around here! Luckily Mori doesn't seem to mind the divided attention of her momma.

Next month we're set to move two hours away, to Columbus Ohio. We have the house already, DH is going through finding-a-job-hell, and i'm starting to pack up. It's a bit stressful, but moving out of where we are is definately worth it.

She's sucking down milk like it's going out of style, and weighed in last week at 11lbs 7oz. I couldn't believe it! She's also gained an inch, from 21in to 22in. She no longer fits in half her 0-3mn clothes... I had to unpack the 3-6 monthers!

She grins real big now, mostly at her daddy, who makes horribly cute faces at her. She's also learned how to self-sooth, by sticking her knuckles in her mouth. It's so adorable I want to cry.
And she likes M*A*S*H... definately momma's girl.

As for losing weight... I only ended up 5lbs over my pre-preg weight.
: No, don't throw stuff at me! I'm just lucky!
Unfortunately my hips 'grew'. I can't fit into my jeans because, well, before baby came I had no hips and now DH calls me 'womanly-curved'.
#16 of 138 Old 09-12-2007, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaketty View Post

As for losing weight... I only ended up 5lbs over my pre-preg weight.
: : i still have 20lbs to lose
#17 of 138 Old 09-12-2007, 02:56 AM

We're putting away newborn stuff, outgrowing some 0-3 months, and jumping right into 3-6. I hate onesies- they just don't work with EC. Our babe isn't skinny or fat, but I think she has long legs and huge hands. We're using cloth dipes so depending on what kind she's wearing, it makes her butt big. Clothes that are a little too big work better for us.

As for me, I brought home a digital scale from town today so I can keep an eye on us- since we won't be doing well baby visits. I have 25 pounds extra right now! I've steadily been losing 1/2 pound a week but my activity level is on the rise so maybe I'll lose a little faster. My wardrobe is definitely short right now. My boobs are ginormous and my butt is huge but at least my shoes fit again!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#18 of 138 Old 09-12-2007, 03:11 AM

25lbs to lose here too. I eat when I'm tired which is pretty often. I also have a terrible sweet tooth in the evenings. I'm really trying to get motivated because i simply have nothing to wear any more. Where did my waist go?

Unschooling Mama to Asher (6) and Jasper (3) Crazy obsessed needle felter and maker of toys http://www.asherjasper.etsy.com
#19 of 138 Old 09-12-2007, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

K-mart is my new fav place to shop!! i bought a bunch of clothes there cheap yeasterday!
#20 of 138 Old 09-12-2007, 12:36 PM

Hi all!

12 weeks or so pp. I've lost all the weight, but my shape is just different... I emptied my closet yesterday and kept everything that fit, stored what MIGHT fit later and got rid of my wishful thinking size 6 pile!!

It is taking longer than ever to nurse. She stops frequently to smile at me and talk. It is so sweet, but a little tricky in public.....

I don't know her weight, but we are into 6 month clothes!! They looked so huge when I got them.......oh, I already miss the newborn stage
#21 of 138 Old 09-12-2007, 12:38 PM

[QUOTE=riaketty;9140540]
Unfortunately, last week we got two puppies that are 7wks as well (Free purebred German Shepheds... DH grew up with them and we couldn't resist).
Life sure has been hectic around here! Luckily Mori doesn't seem to mind the divided attention of her momma.
QUOTE]

We have a 2yo german shepherd, GREAT dog! but I ca't imagine dealing with a puppy right now!
#22 of 138 Old 09-12-2007, 01:36 PM

ooooh my mamas!!
hey ladies
Nimah is 6weeks and 3 days old today. wow time flues by FAST huh?
so far she has only been "dressed" to leave the house, and thats only been a handful of times. i just throw a baby tee on her with her shorties/longies and we are ready to go. otherwise at home we are NAKED! we are very much a nude family, i cant keep clothes on Addy for the life of me, so i just give up while we are home alone.
i am sure Niamh has outgrown all these newborn clothing she has, and theres a BUNCH of it, she has only worn two tees! its hard to find clothes that go with wool covers/longies pretty much we stay away from onesies or anything with a crotch. i loathe wicking.

Niamh is 11lb 8+oz. and LONG. i need to re measure her. maybe i can have my midwife do it when she comes for my last *sob* postpartum appt on the 29th.

as for the weight... y'all are going to want to kill me.
i am 15lb less than my pre pregnancy weight.
i only know my pre pregnancy weight cause a week before i ovulated i hopped on the scale at my moms house.
i didnt do ANY weight checks while pregnant, and i just hopped on last week.
but, i am a VERY large mama and i have the weight to lose. not that i feel like i need, or even want to lose it, its not a priority at all for me, but its there to fall off if it needs to.

re binkies: we dont use them. at all. but i am a BFAR mama, and she spends almost all day at the breast for nutrition and comfort and i am more than happy with that. i really enjoy knowing that she is getting her suckling comfort needs met by me. if we used a pacifier it would just be the first step of sabotaging our nursing. i know, it happened with Addy (along side the bottles) so we wont be using anything other than mama and the Lact-Aid for suckling/eating/comfort needs.

does anyone else have a REALLY good sleeper, but then have a really terrible sleeper as an older child?
Niamh is SUCH a fabulous sleeper. sweriously, its just mind boggling at how good she sleeps.
but Addy who is 3 is still such a bad sleeper that i DO feel like i am sleeping with a newborn. its just not my newborn making me feel that way!
i LOVE dhs days off, then Niamh and i get to sleep in while he gets up with the crackhead hyper child.

is everyone just totally enjoying their new cooing smiling bundles or what? i know i am!

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#23 of 138 Old 09-12-2007, 02:48 PM

Jake is a good sleeper at night, but being only 5 weeks old he can have a hard time GETTING to sleep sometimes. Evening fussies are still around, but generally diminishing. Still a bit rough here in the evenings, really, BUT he nurses down to sleep pretty reliably around 10 pm and can be put in the sidecar crib at 10:30 and sleeps as long as 5-5.5 hours some nights.

He also takes a 2-3 hour nap pretty reliably every day, anytime between 10 am and 3 pm. He gets really fussy beforehand though - that same overtired, nothing pleases him problem we have with the evening fussies.

Usually I sling him and pace pace pace to get him down for that nap. Nursing does NOT cut it for him then for some reason. He's very lukewarm about the pacifier.

I love having him all calm and snuggly against me once he's sleeping, though. Usually this nap is the best computer time I get all day.

Overall, he's a sweet, snuggly babe, but - so far - not exactly a mellow fellow...
#24 of 138 Old 09-12-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamama View Post

We have a 2yo german shepherd, GREAT dog! but I ca't imagine dealing with a puppy right now!
Well, our two puppies are in addition to a 1 1/2 year old mini Schnauzer and a 4yr old german shep/beagle mix.
Let me tell you, we have a housefull! And DH is talking about another baby... this morning we had a talk and he went "If it happens, it happens!" and grinned big at me. I was shocked.

Also, Mori rolled over this morning, at 7wks. I about died, terrified, because it shocked her and she started crying. Also, DH swears she said 'hi'.. Of course, it's more like 'hhaaa' sound, but he thinks she's trying to greet us.
#25 of 138 Old 09-12-2007, 03:57 PM

anyone else get their period back already?
:
i did.

oh, and re bath:
Niamh still hast had one. i wipe any stinky parts with a warm wet cloth when they get stinky (neck, hands) but so far she hasnt needed a whole body submerged bath and i dont want to give her one "just cause"

#26 of 138 Old 09-12-2007, 04:21 PM

Oh, Tiffany, you should take her into the tub with you - all of my babies have LOVED that. It seems to be very relaxing and calming for them. Jake doesn't like the part where he has to get OUT of the tub and is briefly chilled, but all the warm floating with mama in the big tub time seems to make up for it. Even when he is uber-fussy and NOTHING else works, floating in the tub is guaranteed to soothe him.

Note: It's a two person enterprise though. I've never figured out how to safely give baby a bath with me without another grown up on hand to manage slippery naked baby while I manage slippery naked self when the bath is over.

PS: OR... DP in tub with baby can be fun bonding time for them!
#27 of 138 Old 09-12-2007, 05:28 PM

Ds was on the couch talking to grandpa and Ooops! there he went. He just rolled on over. He's been making it to his side for several days now, but yesterday made it all the way to his tummy and then, pushed his little head right up. It was so cute! But now I have to really watch him!! I just can't believe how fast he is growing and changing...man, I sound like my mom!

As for pp weight, I have about 20 lbs. to go, too. and my shape...don't won't to think about it. I mean, where will all this skin go? AND to top it off, we are going to the beach at the end of the month! Excited about the mini-vacation, but not so much for the swimsuit.

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif
#28 of 138 Old 09-12-2007, 08:13 PM

Bee, in theory that sounds great, only i am a LARGE mama, my tub is small, and could honestly use a good scrubbing.
she isnt dirty, or stinky, in my eyes she doesnt NEED a bath. i dont want to give her one jsut cause everyone else does, or cause its "the thing to do" yanno?
as for the calming....
you guys might HATE me, but she NEVER cries. or gets upset. she coos, and squawks testing out her voice. but has only cried 3 times total in her life so far. its like she KNOWS she has to be so amazing and calm and.... easy, cause her older sister has turned into a whacko crackhead that bounces off of everything and has NO volume control. i really dont know what i would do if i had to deal with crazy 3yo AND a high needs baby. i think i would literally go quite insane.

Niamh rolled off her pillow on the couch. i have a tempurpedic like pillow with the funky shape, kind of like the middle horizontally is a ditch. she fits perfectly in that for when i have to hop up real quick to helpo Addy with something. well, she rolled off of it two nights ago, she was craning her head to see where i went and to look at big sis (whom she ADORES!) and whoop, just rolled right off onto her belly on the couch. surprised us all!

we are one lucky bunch of mamas to be so blessed with our sweet snuggly babes.

#29 of 138 Old 09-13-2007, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

i would just like to say i strongly dislike all of you who have already lost their pregnancy weight!
#30 of 138 Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 AM

Sorry Erika.
to be honest i think i just lost a bunch of weight while i was pregnant and only gained water weight in the end, cause i went from a round ball with round legs (think Venus of Willendorf) to suddenly having a defined waist and more of an hourglass shape.
granted now its an hourglass with a big saggy belly in front and tons of cellulite everywhere, but out of nowhere i got curves instead of curve.
now i am just trying to eat enough to keep up with my nursling.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page