What drinks can I give to a 7 months old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-19-2003, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my dd is 7 months old and she does not want to drink any water. She is brestfed + eating veggies 3 times a day. She could probably drink about 1 ounce of water per day if not less. In addition, she develops food allergies very fast. For that reason, she did not try any fruit yet. So, I am just wondering, what else other than water can I offer her?

P.S. Please don't just say that she gets enough "water" from BM.
#2 of 5 Old 07-19-2003, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by M_of_M
P.S. Please don't just say that she gets enough "water" from BM.
I really don't mean to be rude, but why not? I think a 7 month old really does get all their water needs met by their mostly liquid diet. So, drinking an ounce or less a day is OK - just like solids, they're really just practicing.

Cole is almost 9 mos. and he still only drinks an oz. or 2 a day. I don't bf, so I can't help you there but I can tell you that his formula intake varies widely, esp. lately. I just offer the sippy at various intervals and if he wants it, he takes it, if not, he doesn't. I always give him water. I gave him fruit juice a few times but he didn't seem to care about it much so I figured, well if he doesn't care then water it is. I gave him pear juice, apple juice and grape juice the times I tried it. He didn't have a reaction to them. I gave him OJ once, he didn't like it and didn't drink much of it. My mom gave him grapefruit juice once and I think he had an allergic reaction. But he's had just water (except for the gf incident) since he was 6 mos. or so.
#3 of 5 Old 07-19-2003, 01:04 AM

One to two oz. per day of water is just fine at that age as long as your baby is bfing often enough along w/ the solids. If you want you could give a small amt. of diluted juice, or add a tiny bit of juice to the water to give it some flavor. Many sources now are saying that juice shouldn't be given to infants. Other's say that after 6mos. it's okay as long as you use 100% juice, don't give more than 4oz. per day, serve in a cup, and dilute it at least 50/50 (or more) with water.
I wouldn't give anything other than breastmilk, formula, water, or diluted juice to an infant under 1yr. to drink but that's JMO. I would also stick w/ only white grape, pear, and apple juices if I gave juice and def. avoid any citrus juices/fruits until 1yr. hth a little.

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#4 of 5 Old 07-19-2003, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would stick with water. I stuck with it with my noiw 3 year old even though she resisted at first and now it is all she drinks. She doesn't need additional liquids so there is no need to go on a mad search for something she likes better. Give her some time and let her develope a taste for water.

Will she take milk form a cup? Is the problem perhaps the cup rather than what you put into it? When are you offering it to her? Is she maybe not thirsty? Have you tried bottled water? she may just be sensitive to the taste of tap water.

Another thing is that sippy cups are still really complicated for babies her age. Mine is 7 months and while she really enjoys trying she just can't coordinate the suction, release swollowing thing yet. she gets maybe an ounce a day./ at this age it is mostly introduction and target practice.

If you wanted to try something else some weak camomile tea is Ok but then not more than an ounce or so is reccomended. Remeber, don't use honey to sweeten anything - botulism. if your baby likes carrots, carrot juice may appeal to her.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 5 Old 07-19-2003, 02:47 AM

Before dd was born, I took a breastfeeding preparation class at the hospital, which was taught by a nurse/ lactation consultant who had bf 3 children of her own. The question was raised in class, "When should you give your baby water to drink?"
Her response was that you should not give your baby water during the first year as long as he/she is bfing frequently. She explained that the foremilk is for quenching the baby's thirst and that water just fills the tummy w/o nutrients.
Having said that, I'm sure that giving an ounce or two of water a day in a cup for practice (just like solids are for practice as famousmockngbrd said) is just fine.
If you want to double check this info, I would contact your local LLL leader. I've found them to be very helpful and knowledgable - and if they aren't sure, they'll look the information up for you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page