Mothering Forum banner

9 month old in toddler bed (with bed rails) for naps?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  lemurmommies 
#1 ·
DP, DS and I cosleep at night, and intend to do so for as long as we are all comfortable with the arrangement. However, as DS becomes increasingly mobile, I am looking for a suitable solution for nap time sleep.

Because of my own anxiety issues, we cannot move our mattress to the floor (this causes me to have panic attacks and insomnia... not good!) DS will NOT nap in his Pack N' Play, nor will he nap in his crib. Any attempts at getting him to do so end after 5 minutes, when we are all in tears.

Our crib does, however, convert to a toddler bed. Has anyone ever tried putting a baby this young in a toddler bed? If it makes any difference, he can crawl, pull to a stand, cruise, and stand unsupported for several seconds. I would put bed rails on the bed to ensure he doesn't roll out while he is sleeping, but am pretty confident that he would not have an issue getting out feet first upon waking. (Also, he sleeps in our room, with the monitor on, and since we live in an apartment, it is about 8 steps from our living room to the bedroom when I hear him wake.)

Does this seem like a possible solution? Any other suggestions?

#4 ·
for the past few months we have put our 10 month old in a twin bed (w/box spring)on the floor pushed inbetween our bed and the wall with a bed rail at the foot of the bed. also on her bed is a u-pillow. so she would have to crawl over the pillow onto our bed in order to eventually scoot off the bed. so far it has worked great.
you could always put the bed on the floor and put pillows on the sides you want to block. or blankets on the floor for padding.
the other thing i teach my dd is how to get off the bed properly.
especially with the monitor on and you could get to him quickly, i think it will work great

#5 ·
We have the same issue. I just got ds a crib for napping. He of course hates it but it is better than him flipping off the bed rails. We had have 10 near misses. I sleep very heavy, especially during a nap. So ds is much safer in the crib. We tried the floor too. That works great if I am awake. If I fall asleep ds tears it up. he is very precocious, so I have to watch him like a hawk. I cannot do the bed on the floor thing due to anxiety as well. I feel like I am in the room of doom when the bed is on the floor.

#6 ·
DS has become really difficult to sleep with, so we started putting him to sleep on a little mat on the floor next to our bed, surrounded by pillows and in between our bed and the desk in our room. Does that make sense? It's worked out very well, and i don't have to worry about him falling out of bed for naps anymore.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by babygirlmelly View Post
for the past few months we have put our 10 month old in a twin bed (w/box spring)on the floor pushed inbetween our bed and the wall with a bed rail at the foot of the bed. also on her bed is a u-pillow. so she would have to crawl over the pillow onto our bed in order to eventually scoot off the bed. so far it has worked great.
you could always put the bed on the floor and put pillows on the sides you want to block. or blankets on the floor for padding.
the other thing i teach my dd is how to get off the bed properly.
especially with the monitor on and you could get to him quickly, i think it will work great

This sounds great!! I will have to keep this in mind for the future!

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by babygirlmelly View Post
This sounds really great, sort of like an adapted sidecar arrangement. I showed your post to DP, and she thought it was a brilliant idea. More furniture rearrangement for us!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.