Sudden increase in sleeping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-19-2003, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nathaniel is 8.5 mos old. For a long time now, he's been in a very predictable sleeping pattern -- wake at 6:00, nap for an hour around 9:00, nap for an hour around 1:00, nap for an hour around 5:00, and go to bed at around 8:00. (I don't keep track of how often he wakes to nurse at night, as he rarely fully wakes, and neither do I.) So during the day, he'd be awake for about three hours and then nap.

We've just gotten back from a two-week vacation where he spent the night in five different places before it was all said and done (though always in the bed with me). He's also just recently finished treatment for a really yucky yeast infection and started treatment for reflux -- his weight gain had slowed down a LOT, and he'd been spitting up an enormous amount. (The two treatments combined seemed to have helped with the spitting up.)

And now all the sudden he's sleeping a LOT more -- he's only awake for about 2 hour intervals during the day, and he's napping for 2 hours at a time. He's also not getting up until closer to 8:00 in the mornings (though he is going to bed about an hour later).

Could this be a reaction to the stress of the trip? A growth spurt? A reaction to the fact that he's gotten MUCH more active (started crawling, pulling up, and cruising all on this trip)? Catching up on growth now that he's feeling better? Is it something to worry about? If he were sleeping LESS, that would seem natural to me, but sleeping MORE is a little disconcerting.

So is this something to worry about, or am I just being an overparanoid first time mom?

Carrie
Mama to Nate (11/02) and due 4/12/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2003, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wait a week or two and see what happens. I would say its a reaction to the trip, or a growth spurt or both. I'll bet he returns to normal very shortly. Until then, tackle some of those projects you've been meaning to which you have been meaning to get around!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

User Tag List