Ergo carrier has made some changes... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-20-2003, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
has anyone tried the new ergo with the modified straps & padding? if so, what do you think?

now the price is up to $85! is it worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-21-2003, 12:59 AM

Do you know how the padding has been modified? I thought it was just going to be longer straps. The straps being longer is probably important for the broader dads and plus size moms, but my dh is 6' 3" and 200 lbs and it fits him fine, so I'm very glad we got a great deal during the sale on the old one 3 weeks ago!
#3 of 13 Old 07-21-2003, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

there are no pics on the site, just a description saying the waist belt is now 1 1/2 inches, and I think the buckle may also have been upgraded. you're right, most of the modifications are to accomodate a wider range of sizes, which doesn't apply to us. but it does say that there is more padding, which i hope will help with the problem people were talking about re. digging in the shoulders.

i was holding out for the blue, but i wish they had mentioned the prices were going up.
#4 of 13 Old 07-21-2003, 11:50 AM

I just love mine but I have had it for a good while so it is not the newer one. I would like to see a slight curve to the shoulder pad so it would fit better but overall I just love it!!! I'll have to see the website for any info on improvements.

Any of you know how to use it in the hip carry? I saw pictures of it on the web but no instructions and I haven't figured it out. I have the back and front carry down no problem.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#5 of 13 Old 07-22-2003, 01:51 AM

the hip carry is awesome and easy to do. just switch the straps. put the waist belt on, and you don't use the front chest strap at all, just take your shoulder straps and snap your right shoulder strap to the left bottom strap and visa versa. one strap will go over your shoulder (depending on the hip you want to use) and the other goes around your chest under your boobs. you won't have to tighten them as much on this setting as you do on the front or back carry. i've found it very comfy too! just make sure you don't lose those front straps b/c they tend to slide off!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#6 of 13 Old 07-22-2003, 01:52 AM

http://www.chumbas.com/store/custome...&cat=63&page=1

You can still get the blue for $75 from Chumbas. Check out the link above!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#7 of 13 Old 07-22-2003, 02:05 AM

I Totally ended up lucking out. I ordered the sale one to get it for my vacation. They emailed that it had been sent but it never came. My DH who left after I did, called them and found out they sent me the wrong email, they were suppose to have sent me an "it's on backorder" email. To make a long story short...they felt bad that I didn't get it for my vacation so 2 days ago I just received the upgraded one for the sale price!! I did not have one before so I am not sure of the changes, but the shoulder straps are quite padded and there is a nice sized pocket in the front where the sleep hood sits and a small change pouch on the waist belt. I have used it for two days now and love it! I am using it in the forward position and just pulling it over my and my dd's head then pulling the shoulder straps tighter. It is so much easier to carry my 10 mos, 25+ pounder than with the sling over long periods of time.
#8 of 13 Old 07-22-2003, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I called the Ergo people in Hawaii, and this is the lowdown:
basically the design has not changed--only the accessories have been modified...

--longer straps and longer padding section to accommodate larger frames; about 1 1/2 in more webbing, so the straps won't be too much longer than original. padding has not changed in thickness, it's only longer to fit bigger people.
--new buckle, supposed to be safer because it has to be threaded in and out, rather than a snap buckle. He said his 2y.o. was trying to open the buckle and redesigned to make it more toddler-proof
--wider belt for more comfort

Because I'm short, I may just go for the old-style at Chumbas after all. Thanks for the tip, mcimom!
#9 of 13 Old 07-22-2003, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

one more thing--I did mention that someone on the boards here had to pay ~$15 for returning her ergo, which didn't fit her child, and the guy at ergo seemed pretty embarassed, saying that the policy of not covering return-shipping was adopted when they were first starting out. now that they've taken off, it seems they are considering a change and may eventually offer a guarantee. as he put it, parents shouldn't be penalized if the carrier just doesn't work with their child, and they've had very few returns. so if you're debating, that's something to look for in the future.
#10 of 13 Old 07-22-2003, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

BTW, Tie-dye mom--what do you think of the buckle on yours? is it relatively easy to get on and off?
#11 of 13 Old 07-25-2003, 12:06 AM

http://www.kangarookorner.com/k_shop_misc_outlet.shtml

hey! i haven't posted here in ages -- i'm inspired. the link above is to the kangaroo korner outlet; she has a few old-style ergos for sale.

hth!
#12 of 13 Old 07-25-2003, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by late-night nan
BTW, Tie-dye mom--what do you think of the buckle on yours? is it relatively easy to get on and off?
I haven't had any problems. I really like mine a lot.
#13 of 13 Old 07-29-2003, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Samsara, for the link to the KK outlet. I didn't know they had one, but unfortunately I was too late in getting there before all the ergos disappeared.

Tie-Die Mom, glad to hear you like yours. I talked it over with dh tonight, and i think we may just get the new one after all. We don't need the longer straps, but it's good to have a return policy in case the carrier doesn't suit us.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page