Need help with trying to get db to sleep in crib. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-22-2003, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First I don't believe in letting her CIO. I just can't do it. I would let her sleep with me but I am so afraid that I am going to lay on her or she is going to fall off our bed. I am not very skinny is one way to say and I am a sound sleeper once I fall asleep. I have tried to put her in the bed but she screams and I just don't have the heart to leave her there. Sometimes I can get to sleep by rocking her and putting her in the bed but other times she wants to sleep in her carseat. Yes, you read that right. She wants to sleep in her carseat or something is snuggle around her. My oldest daughter did the same thing and both of them slept in my room in a bassinet for four months. I had a big bassinet with deep sides. Any suggestions or books on getting a little one asleep without letting them CIO.
#2 of 8 Old 07-22-2003, 08:05 PM

crazymom5: Have you heard of using the side-car arrangement where the crib is tied close to the bed (after the side of crib is taken off) ?? this might not work immediately but with some coaxing and letting baby fall asleep or wind -down next to you she might sleep in her crib that is close to mommy. I think you're right to follow your instinct to not ciO. Has she ever fallen asleep in the crib? Hope you hang in there. hope this works or something.
Laura
#3 of 8 Old 07-22-2003, 08:24 PM

i put the carseat/carrier thingie INTO THE CRIB from day one!

we used that for about 3 months (until he could roll over)

then i put him on his belly ( i know BAD MOMMY, but he hated his back.) anyway. all was fine and he slept pretty well.

id rock him to sleep first, and put him to bed asleep. wtih a bottle of water.

is how we did it .

but, i guess belly to sleeep is a bad idea............so maybe try on the side or something.
#4 of 8 Old 07-23-2003, 12:33 AM

I started putting ds in crib at 6 months & have never let him CIO. I started by getting him to sleep first and then putting him in the crib but you don't have to do it this way. Now I nurse him, lay him on his belly and rub his back or pat his butt (for some reason this helps him drift off). Sometimes I give him a pacifer, too. Other times when we can't get him to sleep, we'll lay down with him in our bed and then move him to the crib once he's asleep.
When he wakes up early in the morning, I still bring him into my bed to nurse and fall back asleep and we get some cuddle time.

Good luck!

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#5 of 8 Old 07-23-2003, 10:05 AM

Babies are all so different. My oldest didn't mind his crib at all, and as he grew he even got attached to it. My youngest acted like he had a allergy to it or something! We eventually took it down and put it in the attic -- when I realized the sheets had a thick layer of DUST on them!!! He liked to sleep in his carseat also -- on the floor besdide my bed. I would sleep with one hand on his belly. Maybe this is a good solution for now -- when she outgrows that, she'll be bigger and stronger and maybe you will feel safer having her in your bed?

Oh, and we put our mattress on the floor in our room. We don't have a good bedframe anyhow, so it wasn't a big sacrifice! Both our kids fell out a handful of times. They generally slept through it! I guess falling 8 inches onto carpet isn't all that upsetting.
#6 of 8 Old 07-23-2003, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth pantley has some great suggestions and routines for getting baby to sleep without nursing and staying asleep
#7 of 8 Old 07-24-2003, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

No, she has never fallen asleep in the crib. On occasions I can get her in the crib when she is asleep but there are times that she will wake up when her little body lays on the mattress.

She seems to like the carseat!
#8 of 8 Old 07-24-2003, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dr Jay Gordon also has a good book on sleep that might help you. Unfortunately, I can't remember the title.

Try his website:
http://www.drjaygordon.com/

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page