sling vs carrier - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-23-2003, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious what are the benefits of a sling vs a carrier like baby bjorn? I have friends who love their baby bjorn but everyone here always talks about a sling.
#2 of 25 Old 07-23-2003, 02:48 PM

We have the baby bjorn, a kissaluv sling (w/rings), and a didymos sling (long piece of cloth to tie in various ways). We use ALL of them! There was a terrific article about slings in mothering a while back. See:

http://www.mothering.com/9-0-0/html/9-8-0/hold-me.shtml

It took us a few weeks to get the hang of the sling. Keep trying! And keep trying different positions, until you find one that works for you AND the baby!
#3 of 25 Old 07-23-2003, 02:51 PM

Slings are more adjustable than a Baby Bjorn-type carrier. You can nurse more easily while wearing your baby in a sling vs. a BB. A sling, due to its versatility and adjustability, can be used much longer than a BB - I've seen large toddlers carried in a sling many times.

Your newborn will likely prefer being bundled up like in the womb, and it is easy to do this with a sling.

Easy on and off with the sling, and if your babe should fall asleep in the sling, it's quite easy to set the child down and slip out of the sling without disturbing her sleep.

There are lots more, but this is just rapid-fire off the top of my head.
#4 of 25 Old 07-23-2003, 03:59 PM

Baby Bjorns and the like put the baby in an unnatural position, with all the baby's weight on the spine and the legs dangling. This may cause spinal problems later in life. I'll post links later.
#5 of 25 Old 07-23-2003, 05:05 PM

I definately use and love both my Bjorn and my sling. I think it's worthwhile to have both for different uses. Also, DH and the grandmothers love wearing DS in the Bjorn, but won't even try the sling (or pouch).
#6 of 25 Old 07-23-2003, 05:27 PM

nak. and i think there is even a big difference b/t sling and pouch...

i LOVE my pouch for my newborn babe, but i also like my maya for kangarooo... i think i will also like both for hip carry. we also have baby bjorn for DH!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#7 of 25 Old 07-23-2003, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

What is a pouch? I never even heard of that. Does anyone have a link to one?
#8 of 25 Old 07-23-2003, 10:17 PM

Pouches are super easy.

www.kangarookorner.com

she has awsome fleece pouches - too hot for summer, IMHO, but great for the rest of the year. Oooh, I just checked the link and it looks like they have a brand new cotton pouch. I want one. Stop me.

www.mayawrap.com

has both maya wraps and maya pouches.
#9 of 25 Old 07-25-2003, 02:11 AM

I had a Baby Bjorn when dd was smaller, now I use the Sling, the Ergo carrier, and a frame backpack. My dd did not like laying down so the Snugli and the sling did not work for her when she was tiny. She loved the Baby Bjorn a lot but once she hit about 18-20 lbs I started having real neck problems with it. I then switched over to the sling (Maya Wrap) which we still love for short outings but at almost 25 lbs it starts to bother my neck/shoulder after long jaunts. I also find that I am constantly readjusting the sling so it is not always entirely hands free. The Ergo has a ton of support and is totally hands free and we use that one the most right now. We also have the frame backpack (Kelty) that dh takes her out it when we go for dog walks or hikes.
#10 of 25 Old 07-25-2003, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Oooh, I just checked the link and it looks like they have a brand new cotton pouch. I want one. Stop me.
:LOL Take deep breaths and keep repeating "I can wait til I find one on eBay"
#11 of 25 Old 07-25-2003, 03:32 AM

I use a sling and a carrier and a backpack for different purposes. I use the sling when I'm nursing the baby in public, nursing her to sleep at night, or when I know she needs a nap but I need to keep moving. I used the sling exclusively until dd 3mo.
The front pack is great for shopping because my baby can look around and interact with others. It keeps my hands free too. My baby fusses if I stand still with her in the sling which I often do while shopping. Also, dh will happily wear the front carrier. We have a Theodore Bean.
I've just recently started using the backpack. I've never used it outside the house but I use it at home all the time. It gives me use of both my hands and I can work (laundry, cooking, etc. . ) a lot easier since baby is behind me.

Does anyone else have a hard time wearing a sling for any length of time? My neck and shoulders kill me after 30 minutes!
#12 of 25 Old 07-25-2003, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TieDyeMom
Not me, baby -- i just bought one!
#13 of 25 Old 07-25-2003, 12:21 PM

I love my slings! I used one with my first son and now with this little one. I find they are a lot easier to use. Mine comes in handy for a little privacy when nursing, or to give the baby shade from the sun. With the shoulder padding I am able to get extra support for my back.
It is so natural for me...its just like holding or cradling the baby, but having an extra pair of hands to do everything else
I tried the front carrier with my older son and he hated it. It put him in an uncomfortable position, it was hard to get his chubby legs in and out, and I couldn't nurse him when he wanted.
My husband will wear him in the back carrier when we go out and he also enjoys wearing our new little one in the sling.
#14 of 25 Old 07-25-2003, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Elizabuddy'smama
Does anyone else have a hard time wearing a sling for any length of time? My neck and shoulders kill me after 30 minutes!
It sounds like you haven't got your sling adjusted right. Which sling are you using. The golden rules for comfortable sling wearing are to have the shoulder pad on the ball of your should not near you neck, the rings in the "corsage" position, below your shoulder and above your breast, wear the baby high, that is at or above your waist and make sure it is adjusted snugly.

Some slings, like the Nojo which is a one size fits all (or very few to be more accurate), are notorious for not being adjustable. The padding makes it impossible to adjust snugly enough to be comfortable.

Deborah

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#15 of 25 Old 07-25-2003, 01:58 PM

I love my sling! I have a front carrier for a newborn and hated it. I used it twice. Now that ds is an older baby I'm buying a backpack/front pack. It will definatly come in handy so that he can ride without trying to grab pots off the stove while I'm cooking. I think it is benificial to have a couple types of carriers.

Slings are great for breastfeeding and so baby can lie down and sleep as you go about your day. There is an art to the sling definatly. You have to practice a bunch like learning to ride a bike. Once you get the hang of it, it's second nature.
#16 of 25 Old 07-25-2003, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by uccomama
Some slings, like the Nojo which is a one size fits all (or very few to be more accurate), are notorious for not being adjustable. The padding makes it impossible to adjust snugly enough to be comfortable.
We got a Nojo for dh at first, but it quickly became the one we use only when all the others are in the wash. It is too large for most people to adjust it comfortably, the grooved rings make it nearly impossible to adjust it while wearing it, and the fabric is a bit narrow. I found that I had to hold on to ds more when using it so he wouldn't fall out.

I know of at least three people who would not have used a sling, or at least not for very long, if they hadn't found other brands, such as the OTSBH and Maya. I advise against Nojos whenever anyone asks me about slings. It's too bad that it's the brand Dr. Sears endorses. It's one of the few things I disagree w/ him on.
#17 of 25 Old 07-25-2003, 07:40 PM

I only have a Nojo sling and it is so uncomfortable! What kind would be more comfortable and where can I find it?
#18 of 25 Old 07-25-2003, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I only have a Nojo sling and it is so uncomfortable! What kind would be more comfortable and where can I find it?

The Maya Wrap:
www.mayawrap.com

The Over the Shoulder Baby Holder
www.babysling.com

Kangaroo Korner
http://www.kangarookorner.com/

Enwrapture slings
http://home.earthlink.net/~solarsprings/enwrapture/
#19 of 25 Old 07-25-2003, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Here's another great website for you to look at:

http://www.pepprmint.com

Deborah

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#20 of 25 Old 07-25-2003, 10:49 PM

I love my slings! I use them all the time in and out of the house. How else would I get anything else done? How else would I hold my other two kids hands across a parking lot? I have a KK AFP -- too hot right now for outside, but can use in grocery stores and air-conditioned places. Have a KK cotton pouch -- better for the summer. Have a solarveil sling that can go in the water so I can chase the other two at the beach and sit in the water with the babe. And my latest and greatest! The Zolowear sling. I know this screams of me being too materialistic, but honestly, we didn't really have to purchase anything for this babe. The AFP gave me the confidence to try the ring slings. And since I can also sling my 3 1/2 year old DD, I feel it is a great investment.
#21 of 25 Old 07-26-2003, 10:56 PM

Has anyone tried slings from kangaroo korner? I'm looking at the solar veil sling.

I'm also considering the EllaRoo Wraparound. Any advice?
#22 of 25 Old 07-26-2003, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TieDyeMom
I'm trying, I really am. Are there sling (or is that just diapers?) Ebay. Ebay.
#23 of 25 Old 07-26-2003, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Has anyone tried slings from kangaroo korner? I'm looking at the solar veil sling.

I'm also considering the EllaRoo Wraparound. Any advice?
I haev the KK fleece pouch - it's too hot for the summer, but absolutely wonderful the rest of the year.
#24 of 25 Old 07-26-2003, 11:17 PM

Is from Kangaroo Korner and I love it. A friend is borrowing it right now for her vacation. It isn't as wide as my zolowear sling, so I have to be vigilant about making sure baby is secure, wheras the zolowear sling has plenty of material and babe always feel secure.

Stephanie

and I saw a Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch on the trading post board
#25 of 25 Old 07-29-2003, 10:59 PM

I tried to wait...I really did. But i have so much trouble with sling rings, and the fleece pouch is just too darn hot...so I ordered the KK cotton pouch in the sage botanical. I CAN'T WAIT!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page