What would you have done? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2003, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today I had lunch plans with an ex-coworker that I had not seen in about 5 months. I drove up to meet her (an hour one way) in the town where she works for lunch today at 12:00 and I also made plans to meet with a contractor at the hardware store in the same town at 2:00 to pick out some materials for our home remodeling.

On the way there I thought that I smelled poop but DD was sleeping soundly and had been for a while and since she never poops in her sleep I assumed that it was just gas.

We arrive at 11:55 and the parking lot is full so I have to circle and park on the street. I jump out, open the back door to get DD out and can see that she is still sleeping but there is BF poop EVERYWHERE. EEEKKKK!!! Covering her legs, her back, the carseat & straps.

I had a towel in the car so I get DD out of the car seat and lay her in the hatch of my station wagon on that, get her all cleaned up, in a new diaper and changed into clean clothes and by now it is 12:10 and I know my friend is on a tight schedule at work so I'm am feeling bad about not being ontime (even if I could not help it). So we finally go have lunch.

After lunch I am at a loss of what to do about putting her back into the car seat since it is covered with poop. I remeber that there is a consignement store down the block so we walk there and see if they have a car seat thinking that I can just resale it at the consignment shop in my home town but they closed at 12:00 on Wednesdays. I can see a car seat in the window too.

I ended up covering up the car seat with the floor mat lenght wise and then putting her changing pad over that cross wise and just straping the car seat in with the seat belt but not strapping DD into the seat itself.

So I was driving around with my baby girl not in her car seat properly and freaking out that we would be in an accident. At stop lights I just knew people were looking in and could see that she was not properly strapped in her car seat and I kept waiting for some one to honk and try to let me know.

Anyway - we made it to the hardware store and then back home safely, but I am curious as to what yall would have done in my situaton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2003, 07:40 PM

I think I would have tried to clean off the car seat - maybe your friend could have brought some wet paper towels out from her office? At least you could have wiped off the worst of it. And if dd has to ride home in a stinky damp seat, at least she's safe.

Sounds like a horrible day anyway! And you both made it home safely!
Old 07-23-2003, 07:40 PM

I had a similar situation happen recently, when dd threw up (and not just breast milk) ALL over herself and her carseat in the parking lot of a store. I cleaned the seat up as best as I could with a rag and just put her back in. A little gross yes, and definitely not ideal. Sitting in vomit wasn't going to kill her though, whereas a car accident could.

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
Old 07-23-2003, 07:56 PM

What a day! Glad you both made it home in one piece.

I agree with the posters above; I would have cleaned it up as best I could and then strapped her back in. The car seat and the baby will both wash up fine, but you just cannot take the risk of an accident happening on the one day you don't have her strapped in.

Throw a couple of receiving blankets into the car (or old cloth diapers); that way you'll have emergency clean up rags and/or something to shield dd from the worst of the mess in the car seat if (when) it happens again.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 07-23-2003, 08:11 PM

I would have got some napkins or something from the diner to wipe up what I could and used the towel you used to change her on to cover the poo on the seat. I would never drive 2 feet without ds being in his carseat. This isn't meant to be a flame, it's just very dangerous. I would rather he sit in poo for a little while than think of what could happen had I been in an an accident with him not restrained.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:09 PM

Been there! Yes, I'd have wiped up what I could, covered it with a blanket or diaper, and plopped the baby back in until I got home, then straight into a bath.

It's not worth the risk ever of not being in the car seat, imo.

Hope your day improved!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:50 PM

Moving this to LWAB...

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 07-24-2003, 12:59 PM

i agree with everyone else. wipe it as best I could, use a recieving blanket to sheild babe and strap her in. it is much better to sit in poop and not get killed than to not sit in poop and get killed in an accident.

besides, how did you know she would STAY in the seat??

User Tag List