does my baby sound 'weak'? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-23-2003, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
people here (the inlaws, coworkers, people i meet on the street) keep telling me my baby is 'weak'. i guess they mean thin or small or something. she's a week shy of 10 months, and weighs about 15 pounds. she wears clothes for her age, but can still fit into some of the older clothes for smaller babies. she was 6 lb 2 oz when she was born, and is still mostly bf, a mutual choice . tell me this sounds normal. she has a belly, and chubby legs, but she never was roly poly. i think she looks normal, but when i hear it from stangers on the street, i start to wonder. (then again, people here think if you aren't feeding your 3 month old yogurt yet, there must be something wrong with you)
#2 of 3 Old 07-23-2003, 08:37 PM

Try very hard not to let the insensitivity of others make you think your child is anything less than perfect.

she sounds fine. all babies are different. my first baby weighed 24lbs by 6 months (at birth, 6lbs 13 oz), and my third now tips the scales at a mighty 36, and he's 5!

Speaking of yogurt, i have a dear friend who fed solids early (i did too), baby guzzled breast milk, formula, juice and anything he could get his hands on, and he is still a bit petite.

dont sweat it!
#3 of 3 Old 07-28-2003, 06:48 PM

If she's happy and busy, she's just right for her.

I have one like that, but she was 9lb 5 oz at birth. and over 23 inches long. At 3 months she was only 14 lbs, didn't break 20 lbs till a year old and remained short. But she talked at 9 months and abandonned diapers at 18 months. can't tell me she was underdevelopped. Today at 6 she is a whopping 42 lbs, but is relaly long and lean, just a few inches shorter than her 9 yo brother.: Healthy active kid. She asks how come her younger sister weighs more, i tell her that's just how it is, the she is just right for who she is, and her sister is growing the way she is supposed to, as is her brother.

They are all different, some are tiny, some are huge, others are slender and others chunky. I think as long as they grow, and aren't being pushed to te overweight category, they are fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page