jenny garth and autism... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2007, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so im probably just paranoid, but i was watching the view the other day and jenny garth was on there talking about her son and how he has autism...

they asked her to talk about some of the signs that she missed being a first time mom that might have been telling her that something was wrong with him. the signs that she gave were

1. arm flapping
2. walking on tippy toes
3. not being affectionate

there may have been another that im not remembering....but it made me nervous cus she was saying that she used to think the flapping as cute and she would say - awww, he looks like he is going to fly away....

my dd does this all the time, and she walks on her tippy toes (i thought that was normal...she is only 8 mos.) i am wondering if anyone elses kids do the arm flapping thing? i thought it was something that she did when she was excited, like when i come in the room or she sees the kitty or something she wants - but maybe i should worry?? maybe these are signs for older kids, but they didnt really talk about what age that you should start worrying - she was only talking about that the earlier you notice the signs the faster you can start trying to reverse the potential causes (diet, vaccines etc)

thanks

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 11:10 AM

Hi katie -

It was Jenny Mccarthy, not Garth (she was on dancing with the stars, LOL)

I wouldn't worry yet - Our DC's are the same age, and i think that is still perfectly normal behaviour. I think she was referrring to went her son was around 3 years old.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:16 AM

As I understand it, Autism doesn't present until 2-3 yrs. of age...

Diana. Wife and partner to Jon since 11/04. Home-birthing, natural milky momma to Katie Annalie - 08/06 and Evan Frederick - 06/09
grouphug.gif

designer/manufacturer of: http://www.onyababy.com

Old 09-26-2007, 11:35 AM

My kid is 9.5 months and loves to flap his arms, especially when he gets excited. Sometimes the flapping turns into clapping.

We know another couple whose son is 9 months and does the exact same thing.

I understand why you got worried, though. I think this round of media McCarthy is doing doesn't exactly make clear some of these things are age appropriate behaviors. I looked at the article in People magazine and her son was diagnosed after a few sets of seizures by a neurologist. The weird thing is he apparently gave this diagnosis after observing her kid for 20 minutes. That seemed pretty odd to me...I thought it was a much more intensive process.

Not saying her child's not autistic....just that some of what she says is strange.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma-d View Post
That is not true.

-Angela
Old 09-26-2007, 12:34 PM

Arm flapping when excited and walking on tippy toes is definitley normal behavior for an 8 month old.

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
Old 09-26-2007, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popbaby View Post
Hi katie -

It was Jenny Mccarthy, not Garth (she was on dancing with the stars, LOL)

I wouldn't worry yet - Our DC's are the same age, and i think that is still perfectly normal behaviour. I think she was referrring to went her son was around 3 years old.
oops...i cant keep track of celebrities! i thought she said that it was diagnosed around 2.5 but that those were things he did as a baby....

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 09-26-2007, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
That is not true.

-Angela
well that is what they were saying is that most kids arent diagnosed til 2-3 but that if you can catch the symptoms earlier you can get a better grip on it and start fixing it. which is why i started thinking about things that my dd does.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 09-26-2007, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
My kid is 9.5 months and loves to flap his arms, especially when he gets excited. Sometimes the flapping turns into clapping.

We know another couple whose son is 9 months and does the exact same thing.

I understand why you got worried, though. I think this round of media McCarthy is doing doesn't exactly make clear some of these things are age appropriate behaviors. I looked at the article in People magazine and her son was diagnosed after a few sets of seizures by a neurologist. The weird thing is he apparently gave this diagnosis after observing her kid for 20 minutes. That seemed pretty odd to me...I thought it was a much more intensive process.

Not saying her child's not autistic....just that some of what she says is strange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigail_b View Post
Arm flapping when excited and walking on tippy toes is definitley normal behavior for an 8 month old.
i didnt think originally it was odd, and as much as i have been around many kids, this is my first and it does make me feel better to hear that that is something kids her age typically do - thanks

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 09-26-2007, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son flaps his arms and no one has ever said anything about autism. Oh, and I walk on my tippy toes
Old 09-26-2007, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificbliss View Post
My son flaps his arms and no one has ever said anything about autism. Oh, and I walk on my tippy toes
haha, so does my husband when he is barefoot

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 PM

If you want anecdotes, my son does the excited arm-flap when I come in the room. He is almost 4 mos.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 PM

Jenny McCarthy is going to be on Larry King tonight. I think it will be more informative than that horrible interview that BW killed for her on The View(which is what you saw, I think). BW should be banned from the show, imo. She is the worst interviewer ever.

I have seen 4 interviews with her now and it was way more than those symptoms, she says it isnt just one thing, it is all the little quirks combined. So it isnt a cause for concern if you baby walks on tiptoes, they all do it, it is when he does that and then stares at the ceiling fan for four hours straight and wont look at you, etc.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigail_b View Post
yeah that!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 09-26-2007, 09:00 PM

THere is a CNN.com piece about Jenny McCarthy and her son's diagnosis. I read it and her kid was doing the arm flapping stuff at age 2. But apparently he had always done it, and she thought it was cute. Then she was angry because what she thought was a cute trait was actually an autistic trait. I have to be honest, it DOES make it sound that any arm flapping at all is cause for alarm. That really annoys me. Being new moms, we are panicked enough about stuff as it is.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificbliss View Post

I was going to write the exact same post.

My 4.5 yo flaps his arms when he gets very excited. No one, including his teachers or pediatrician has ever even questioned this.

I still tend to walk on my toes.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:50 PM

LOL, I just got off the phone with my friend, who has a two year old. He apparently will occasionally walk around flapping his arms and yelling "TWEET TWEET, I'M A BIRDIE!"

He's definitely not autistic. I think you have to place these actions in context.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

im glad no one else feels its cause for alarm. she is a very alert, bright child. she pays attention to what is going on and is always taking everything in. nothing makes her stare for any period of time, cuz there is always something else she wants to see and understand. i dont know much about autism, but i never thought about it b4 with her until i saw that show....i think it was mostly cuz we say how she looks like she is going to fly away and that is almost exactly what we say....so i guess i just kept thinking about it all night after i saw the show yesterday....

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 09-26-2007, 10:00 PM

My brother's child is severly autistic (with some other issues as well) and they were aware something was wrong ~3 mos when he started having seizures. Aside from that there were many other cues that could not be misinterpreted, such as:

not maintaining eye contact
developmental delays - couldn't hold head up, etc.
no interest in self-feeding

There's a ton of information out there, but here's a site that might help a little.

It has links to many autism sites that can provide better information than what I can.

http://www.autism.org/
Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie9143 View Post
im glad no one else feels its cause for alarm. she is a very alert, bright child. she pays attention to what is going on and is always taking everything in. nothing makes her stare for any period of time, cuz there is always something else she wants to see and understand. i dont know much about autism, but i never thought about it b4 with her until i saw that show....i think it was mostly cuz we say how she looks like she is going to fly away and that is almost exactly what we say....so i guess i just kept thinking about it all night after i saw the show yesterday....
That was exactly what my grandmother said about my son the other day "He's looks like he's about to take off!" Like you, the first thing I thought of was Jenny freakin' McCarthy.

I mean, it's good to raise awareness, etc. But sometimes these things can make moms start to see things where there aren't any and the resulting worry and stress doesn't do anyone any good.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma-d View Post
Autism does present itself before two but it isn't usually Dx until around that age b/c many of the symptoms are unclear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by popplers View Post
Jenny McCarthy is going to be on Larry King tonight. I think it will be more informative than that horrible interview that BW killed for her on The View(which is what you saw, I think). BW should be banned from the show, imo. She is the worst interviewer ever.

I have seen 4 interviews with her now and it was way more than those symptoms, she says it isnt just one thing, it is all the little quirks combined. So it isnt a cause for concern if you baby walks on tiptoes, they all do it, it is when he does that and then stares at the ceiling fan for four hours straight and wont look at you, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
That was exactly what my grandmother said about my son the other day "He's looks like he's about to take off!" Like you, the first thing I thought of was Jenny freakin' McCarthy.

I mean, it's good to raise awareness, etc. But sometimes these things can make moms start to see things where there aren't any and the resulting worry and stress doesn't do anyone any good.
I think this interview wouldn't have been alarming if she was allowed to complete a sentence...BW kept interrupting...don't pack so many guests into one show and let someone have a real discussion...Oprah does the same thing...constantly interrupts people when they speak...

Why does motherhood have to be so wrought with worry...

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)

User Tag List