Young toddlers and cleaning up... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-24-2003, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd just turned 1 year last weekend, and has been toddling for about a month. Her very favorite thing to do is wander around the house strewing toys/clothes/books, etc. . I accept this as perfectly normal toddler behavior and am not at all upset at her for doing that, which would be silly. However, I am wondering if she is old enough for me to beging encouraging her to help me pick up her toys? I know she understands me when I speak to her, much of the time. For example, if I say "Go get the ball", she does, or "Give mama a kiss ", she does also. Sooo, I want this to be a fun, casual introduction to becoming responsible for her things, not a big heavy deal at her age. I would like to begin doing this so that we are both in the habit of expecting such things from her; I feel very strongly about this because all of my sister's children are horribly messy and completely intractibly undisciplined about their possessions. The oldest is 15, and the youngest is six; all are plenty old to take considerably more responsibility for themselves than they do; essentially, I love them very much, but they are brats, though I hate to admit it, and sis does too. So, I need some fun creative ideas on how to begin encouraging sophie to pick stuff up; i was also considering at some point having her bring her (wet not poopie : ) diapers to the pail. Thanks for your help, in advance !
#2 of 2 Old 07-25-2003, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most kids love to do pretty much anything at this stage so it should be pretty easy to get your child to clean up (although will they continue it forever????)

The first thing I would suggest that you do is get a box or something that you can dump the toys into. We bought one of those plastic tubs they are always having on sale. Then I started singing clean up, clean up, it's time to clean your toys up song and starting grabbing toys and putting them in the tub. My son loved to help!! Of course, he would then love dumping them out again - but it would just give me another chance to sing the song and do it again. I think it may be a little too much to expect them to put stuff away in a particular place (i.e. blocks go in this box, stuffed animal here, etc.)

Now he is 2.5 and although he doesn't automatically clean up - he still gets a lot of joy out of helping me. He does, over the past 6 months or so, have particular places that things go so it works that when we clean up thing end up pretty close to where they are supposed to be stored.

As for the diaper - that will most likely become easier in another 6 months or so. We use cloth and so I'm not really big on having my guy put those away - but when we do use throw-aways for trips and such he loves to feel like a big boy and help me throw them out. I just hope he is a good influence on my 3 month old!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page