Flying with a 10 mo old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2003, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need good ideas of how to keep a very active crawling/almost walking 10 mo old happy for 6 hours straight on a plane. Even writing it down, it sounds like a death sentence!

She has been a great traveler so far, she has been on many flights, but always sleeps through the majority of it, leaving only about 1/2 hour of lap/entertainment time. However, 6 hours is a different story. She doesn't have her own seat, so I think our only hope is to get an empty seat between us for her to play on. Now that she's mobile, she does the "arch-the-back-until-she-gets-put-down" thing all the time.

Any great ideas, other than cancelling the whole trip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2003, 11:51 PM

I saw someone once who had brought a pad lock for their child to play with on the plane. The child was a little bit older but she loved spinning the lock and it was different from the same old toys. It might workfor a while.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:45 AM

We did a trans-Atlantic flight when my ds was just shy of 10 months and I lived to tell the tale so don't fear! Actually, he was easy, but we've also travelled a lot w/ my not-so-easy dd and managed just fine.

Rule #1: Downsize! Carry on as little as posssible so that your attention and energy can be focused on your child.

Request a bulkhead seat, if possible, so you'll have some space in front of you.

My grandmother swears that a roll of scotch tape is a miracle cure for fussy toddlers (they really do love it!)--a 10 month old might be intrigued.

Now's the time to brush up on all your finger plays, a great clutterless form of entertainment.

Think small and light-weight!

Good luck
Old 07-26-2003, 02:35 AM

Just flew with my similar 10 mo. ds - and have to fly back the day after tomarrow.
Bulkhead, bulkhead, bulkhead!
I second the tape, also a Slinky, small board books, puppets, stacking blocks, ice chips, a bagel (there went my "no wheat until he's 18 months" plan) and our hip carrier.
Wish for nice seat neighbors - that alone provided a bunch of fun!
Good luck - my friend reminded me as I left that 1) it is never as bad as you think it will be and 2) you will never see these people again in your life, so do what you need to do for your child. Most people are very kind and those that aren't probably never had children or feel guilty about how they treated theirs!
I did carry a children's glycerite tincture with catnip, skullcap, valerian, chamomille and lemon balm in it, as well as Rescue Remedy and homeopathic Chamomilla - you can find some version of all of these at a coop/herb store etc...Didn't have to use them, but was glad to have them just in case. Plus ds love to shake the homeopathic tablet bottle! Another makeshift toy!
A.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips! I like the ideas, especially the tape! Things that don't appear to be toys are always more intriguing to her than any toy. Also the slinky, that will be good. I think if I have a backpack with all new things to explore, we are good to go.

Also, the bulkhead thing is great, did you call the airlines ahead of time to get it, or just ask when you checked in? We just sat in bulkhead on the way to San Francisco and it was great to let her play there! We didn't request it though, they just sat us there.

THanks to all, and please keep them coming!

User Tag List