Mothering Forum banner

What? You're feeding this 10 month old a dougnut???

10K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  lilyka 
#1 ·
This morning I came into daycare to drop of DD and all the kids where up in their little highchairs. I went in to say high to all of them. They range from 10 months to 2 years in age and all of them were eating donuts for breakfast. DD is 10 months and I always bring her fresh fruit and veggies and bm for during the day (home made stuff) and told them clearly not to give her anything else, but I just can't get over the fact that they are giving these kids dougnuts! Am I the only one ????

Christa and Kirsten (September 2002)

#2 ·
That is just horrible. I would be really concerned thta my child was not being given this stuff too. My DS is almost 9 months and has eaten about 10-15 things. Junk is not even thought of at this time. I'm worried about his first b-day party and my inlaws trying to give him cake. Are people just too lazy to provide healthy foods any longer?

#3 ·
YIKES! Our son's kindergarten teacher, last year, had parents bring in snacks for her to give out to the kids at snack time. She would not allow any cookies, candy, any sugary snacks of any kind. We had to bring things like cheese and crackers, teddy grahams were ok, but no chocolate... We did have days when it was someone's birthday and the kids would all get a cupcake. But they are 5 year olds, not 10 mos. olds!

#6 ·
My friend was giving her ds cake and icing on a paci at no kidding 3 months old!

She said "He likes it!"
Of course he does it's pure sugar!

No, I don't get it! I also make all my baby food. I did not give ds#1 any type of sugar (other than fruit of course) until his first birthday. Even still everyone at the party was appalled that he got a carrot cake because I wanted him to get something that was a little better for him.

My mother use to put coffee in my bottles every morning and gave me tea through out the day. Maybe that explains why I'm not right:LOL

#7 ·
Quote:
My friend was giving her ds cake and icing on a paci at no kidding 3 months old!
Why was she doing that?? I mean, what put the idea in her head initially? I cannot imagine giving my 2.5 month old sugar...Was it to try to calm him down? Take the pacifier?
:

#10 ·
The lady across the street from us has a daughter that is 3 days older than Kaeleb (5 months) I was there the other day when her sister-in-law was there with her 4 month old baby. The sister-in-law breaks out this bag of oblong cookies and gives one to her son and to my neighbor's daughter then she looks at me and says "You want to give Kaeleb one too?" When I said no, my son wasn't eating things like that yet they both went into this big bragging session about their children. I was horrified to find out that they both give their children Pepsi and Mountain Dew and icrecream and whole suckers ON A REGULAR BASIS. My neighbor actually said that her daughter drinks pepsi ALL DAY LONG. No thank you, not my baby.

#11 ·
At the nursery that my son attends, I was so happy when the owner said that she thought sugar was evil. She even blamed it for stomach cancer. I think people are misguided. Food is fuel for our brains AND our bodies. I worry more about the effect that sugar has on the brain of the child than that my son would get a taste for it.

Also, nobody really cooks anymore, ykim? MY best friend, a terriffic mother, uses tons of fast foods and convenience foods. Then she tells me that her kids "won't" eat anything healthy. Well, no duh.

But feeding doughnuts to infants is practically abusive, if you ask me. I wouldn't feed that kind of stuff to my dog. Seriously. At least ice cream has calcium
:

#14 ·
hmmm....if it seriously worries you, you could think about calling the state licensing people for daycares. Some do have requirements about nutrition, or at least strongly encourage it...visiting inspectors discuss it, leave brochures, etc.

I would call plain unglazed doughnuts an acceptable snack for older children. but as a meal, never. And for toddlers? never. And I suspect they weren't plain. That is lazy and neglectful...and not what I'm paying a caregiver for.

#15 ·
that is just appalling.

When I was doing daycare though, I had to ask people not to bring thier own food. they would just bring the most repulsive stuff. kids would walk in at 7:30 in the morning eating candy and then want to pass it to all the other kids. insane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.