April 2007 Mamas - It's October! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 810 Old 10-08-2007, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris' Mom View Post
Again, I'm not positive, but I think this is not legal, and I'd be surprised if this would be enforceable. There may be some exemption for 2-families or very small units. I think they're just trying to deter you from suing. Also, I don't know if it's federal, maybe there are some state variations. Anyway, at least it looks like you can make it safe by painting over it.
oo, i wasn't saying that you were wrong...it probably is illegal. i was just saying that unfortunately many rentals do still have lead. the encapsulate method works well if you keep it covered. i had friends who paid to have lead abatement done to their home and their kids still had elevated lead levels.

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#302 of 810 Old 10-08-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismarie View Post
he should wear the same clothes for the work and just throw them out when he is done. he should get a hepa mask to wear while sanding (looks like a paper mask but is a hepa filter) and there are particular ways of cleaning after the sanding work. the book the state gave me said to mop with three separate buckets...one to dunk the rag, one to ring it out into and then another to get clean water from...then throw out the rag when done. your state may have booklets for renovating a lead area.
I've already printed the booklet from the epa . I originally wanted to test, but it's hard to find someone to do it here in Mobile. So I'm just going on the assumption that there is lead. It's been a little hard getting DH on board. He grew up with his parents constantly renovating old houses and doesn't see the big deal.
#303 of 810 Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 PM

I love old homes too. There just aren't as many to choose from around here. We almost had one in a great neighborhood, but at that point DH was working from home and had 6 computers in his office running. The Realtor just looked at us and said we'd burn the house down because of the old wiring.

So we built new.

The old house just have so much more charm. I love watching "This Old House" and dream.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#304 of 810 Old 10-08-2007, 08:40 PM

It's like owning a little bit of history. If had to do that around here, for a 100 yr old home I'd end up with a sod house or dugout.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#305 of 810 Old 10-08-2007, 08:44 PM

me too! We just moved into an old house and it needs to be completely renovated. We're about 80 % done the first room (out of 8-ish!) after 2 months. It a big difference from living in a tiny basement studio apartment. It's like we're camping indoors though, it's so chaotic
#306 of 810 Old 10-08-2007, 09:15 PM

I love my 100-yo Victorian, but what I wouldn't give for closets that were more than 6 inches deep.
#307 of 810 Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I love my 100-yo Victorian, but what I wouldn't give for closets that were more than 6 inches deep.
Haha, ain't that the truth!! And we only had ONE closet for the whole freaking house!! I swear I used to hate those "walk-in closet" people on House Hunters but now I seriously would love one Dh built a closet in Romi's bedroom and a pantry in the kitchen cause I was going nuts. We still need a closet for Liam's room and the living room. But I'm getting fed up with the dust and tools that I now need a construction break.

Here in Montreal there's now law against renting older properties with potential lead cause that's almost the whole city! We even got a notice last march saying the water pipes from the city are mostly led pipes, so I now have a filter on my tap. :
#308 of 810 Old 10-08-2007, 10:38 PM

On a developmental note, Romi's been on all fours all day. She is gonna crawl any day now. It's bizarre to me since Liam never crawled. My baby is growing up too fast!!
#309 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 04:34 AM

I CANNOT BELIEVE WE HAVE 16 PAGES ALREADY!!!!!! And you all did most of it while I was gone this weekend!! How funny!

Hannah's been rocking back and forth on her hands and knees for a couple of days. she's gotten a couple of scootches, too, but nothing that I actually count as 'crawling'.

I have finally lost 5 lbs. It's only taken 6 months. Now, 50 more to go!!

We went apple picking and pumpkin picking this weekend. Hannah was just too much!!

Playing with the apples
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...picking040.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...picking039.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...picking069.jpg

In the orchard
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...picking025.jpg

Wearing her souveneir from the 'general store' on the farm
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...picking064.jpg

Trying to pick up Mommy's pumpkin
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...picking055.jpg

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
#310 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 04:36 AM

Oh, and just to help with the post count, a seperate post to say that we're going to visit my in laws for Thanksgiving!! Yay!! I love them...they are crazy, but better than my crazier, dysfunctional family, and they're crazy in a good way. I'm sooo excited!

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
#311 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 AM

Abby is not up on all fours, but her scooting has become quite fast (considering that she has to drag her body around). Last night I put her down on the bed and she turned herself around and was moving across the bed in like 30 seconds! She headed for her co-sleeper, which she doesn't sleep in, only for play. It was funny! When she sees something she wants she just goes. Wow - Ari was never so mobile or determined.
#312 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
On a developmental note, Romi's been on all fours all day. She is gonna crawl any day now. It's bizarre to me since Liam never crawled. My baby is growing up too fast!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firsttimepreggers View Post
Hannah's been rocking back and forth on her hands and knees for a couple of days. she's gotten a couple of scootches, too, but nothing that I actually count as 'crawling'.

[/IMG]
your pics are so sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arismomkoofie View Post
Abby is not up on all fours, but her scooting has become quite fast (considering that she has to drag her body around). Last night I put her down on the bed and she turned herself around and was moving across the bed in like 30 seconds! She headed for her co-sleeper, which she doesn't sleep in, only for play. It was funny! When she sees something she wants she just goes. Wow - Ari was never so mobile or determined.
all this crawling....crazy. G just figured out how to flip herself from her tummy to her back. I think it's highly amusing to watch her do tummy time now, because she grunts and strains, and sometimes she gets her arms all straight and pushes up, but mostly....all that noise and nothing happens I have no idea why she's up right now. I woke up to hear her pooping, changed her dipe, and she resisted all attempts to get back to sleep. Whatev.
#313 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 09:18 AM

Firsttimepreggers: love Hannah's shirt!! It looked like a fun day, I love apple season. Have to convince dh to make his famous apple sauce this year, yum!
#314 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 09:20 AM

Oh, I had a great night last night! Romi woke up around 3am to nurse which is unusual since she normally wakes much earlier. Then she woke again at 6h30, nursed and stayed asleep next to me till 8am.

**turns out she woke up twice before 3am but I slept through it!!! Dh told me he got her to go back to sleep. Very unlike me, I must've been dead tired
#315 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 09:22 AM

Oh and I had to turn the heat on this morning. It was 19 degrees (66 for americans!) which is a bit too nippy for a baby. It's 7 degrees (44) this morning. Brrrrrr.
#316 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
Oh and I had to turn the heat on this morning. It was 19 degrees (66 for americans!) which is a bit too nippy for a baby. It's 7 degrees (44) this morning. Brrrrrr.
Yikes that's cool! I'm not sure how warm it is in MD, but I was fine outside just now in jeans and a tank top - yesterday is got up to 90 degrees F. It has been almost record highs down here LOL We are going to a petting farm today and getting a pumpkin while we're there and DH said, "the pumpkins are no good yet, it has to get cold first,"

Today I put the baby in his bath seat while I took a shower and then filled the tub up with water and let him splash around while I got dressed and brushed my hair - he was in heaven! (which is amazing, I'm hoping this is the key to keep him from screaming while I get dressed lol)
#317 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 09:42 AM

I forgot to add that after taking no naps yesterday he didn't go to bed until 11:30pm and got up FOR THE DAY at 6am!!!!!
#318 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 AM

Caroline started blowing raspberry's yesterday its so cute!! today i am tryin to start a ap play group, and i am going to try to wear my moby wrap out, i like it but haven't used it out yet, so i need to or i am going to sell it

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#319 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post
I forgot to add that after taking no naps yesterday he didn't go to bed until 11:30pm and got up FOR THE DAY at 6am!!!!!
You know, it seems that the more babies naps, the better they sleep at night. Weird but that's been my experience. I know when I have a crappy nap day that I'll probably have a crappy night too
#320 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 12:05 PM

everytime i check there is another page here!

i hear you about closets...we have two tiny closets in an upstairs room that we use as an attic real useful to have em there

cute pictures, ftp

it's finally cooling off here too. but i bet doudat and i have similar temps (now that we realize we're less than 3 hours apart) the leaves are at peak color too and it's gorgeous...maybe i'll get around to taking a picture and actually loading it onto the computer

nothing close to crawling here. he doesn't even want to try and sit. it's fine by me if he stays "little" (even if he is 20 lbs )

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#321 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 12:06 PM

did i overdo it on the ?? i guess i'm giggly this morning.

#322 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 12:21 PM

LilMomma - Re the mango, I'm sure that's it. I would cut them up and freeze if DH can't eat 'em all! More later, gotta do dishes.
#323 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Did you know that closets were taxed around that time period? If they were so big they would be counted as a room and so you would have to pay more.

#324 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 03:55 PM

I definetly agree that the more they nap during the day, the better they sleep at night...except for the last nap of the day. I think I'm going to try to cut it out, because she goes down much easier if she doesn't get it. She doesn't seem overly tired, and I don't have to fight her to sleep...which is what it feels like I'm doing when she gets a nap in the evening.

#325 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateSerj View Post
Caroline started blowing raspberry's yesterday its so cute!! today i am tryin to start a ap play group, and i am going to try to wear my moby wrap out, i like it but haven't used it out yet, so i need to or i am going to sell it
Aww...is that what I missed out on today? Did you have fun?

Let me know if you need any help figuring the Moby out - my wrap isn't a Moby, it's very similar. I can do front carries: in, out, BF (cradlish), and a back carry (not sure what it's called).
#326 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post
Aww...is that what I missed out on today? Did you have fun?

Let me know if you need any help figuring the Moby out - my wrap isn't a Moby, it's very similar. I can do front carries: in, out, BF (cradlish), and a back carry (not sure what it's called).
we had fun another mommy with a 6 month old was there with her moby!! she cloth diapers and breastfeeds! i was jumping up and down lol
i did pretty good with the moby i can do facing in and facing out pretty well, i just put it on at home before we went out then stuck her in it at the post office then out in the car to the park then back in.

i think we are going to try to make it a regular day at the park on tuesdays around 10 am i hope you can join us next time

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#327 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 09:14 PM

kris-who does the low income lead tests? Very cute of Hannah! Love her new bonnet!!! Noah will now sit for 5+ min then lean so far forward he gets stuck and fusses. It looks like he is touching his nose to his toes!
#328 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonTana Mama View Post
kris-who does the low income lead tests? Very cute of Hannah! Love her new bonnet!!! Noah will now sit for 5+ min then lean so far forward he gets stuck and fusses. It looks like he is touching his nose to his toes!
ours is through our state. i bet you could find out info online or maybe even through wic for your state (i know the wic program around here does lead testing as part of their program).

#329 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
Did you know that closets were taxed around that time period? If they were so big they would be counted as a room and so you would have to pay more.
I had no idea. Mine are so small, I can't even fit a coat hanger front to back. I doubt a person could even stand in there, so I'm guessing it wasn't counting as a room.
#330 of 810 Old 10-09-2007, 11:53 PM

Holy moly, I don't check in for a day and I miss two pages!Well, I'm home again...what a whirlwind. My boys are becoming great travellers though.

Arlo is also up on all fours starting to do a little rocking back and forth. I can't believe it already! I will know how much he weighs next tues. when he has his first wbv. Hopefully my doc doesn't give me too much trouble for not coming in.
I won't be posting too much-the internet connection at my folks' place is really.freaking.slow. But I'll be lurking!
A

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page