April 2007 Mamas - It's October! - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 810 Old 10-21-2007, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gosh, you all write so much. i have such a hard time keeping up.

but i enjoy reading about everything that's going on.

it's my bday today : and i'm having a good day (not always true on my bday ) we helped our friends with their yurt-building and went and got my favorite pizza (organic, woodfired, yummm).

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 of 810 Old 10-21-2007, 10:18 PM

Firsttimepreggers- LOVE the cakes!!!!!! they beautiful!!!!!

For those of you who's babe's are self feeding: Are you having issues with them stuffing their mouths too full? I keep having to open Johnny's mouth and fish food out because as long as food will fit he just keeps stuff without swallowing first. I'm thinking it could be partly becuse he doesn't have teeth so he has trouble taking "bites"??

We didn't have a lazy Sunday...I took Johnny and 2 of my younger siblings to a fire dept open house and pumpkin patch....and took care of my DH who did something bad to his back this morning...taking him to the doc tomorrow - I know he's not being a baby this time because he hates taking any type of meds and I gave him some prescription motrin and said he shouldn't take anymore and 20mins later he doubled up..poor guy...

krismarie- : glad it's going wel!!!!
#543 of 810 Old 10-21-2007, 10:53 PM

Beautiful cakes - Firsttime!! What a great flower on the Tinkerbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxiMom View Post
http://picasaweb.google.com/littlere...amilySteckel02

A few new ones.

KM - i want to come to your harvest bash! And such cute boys.

I ordered some dipes today, hooray. A couple will be in that pink John Deere fabric on your carrier, Queen. So cool. I'm hooked!

Hanno, your boy stands so well! Good coordination, standing and drumming.
Aww- cute dress! She's so sweet looking! That's great about the dipes- what kind did you order? Cool fabric!

Hanno- I can't believe Ion standing like that, and drumming on top! Wow, Eva would just double right over...he's a strong boy! And he looks so mature too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
We are doing solids whenever we remember or are eating something romi-friendly. Last time she ate was friday since I roasted some beets on the BBQ. She ate a few slices. The girl just grabs, squeezes and shoves whatever didn't fall through her fingers in her mouth, like she's been starving all her life! I'm glad we're doing self-feeding cause she controls how much she actually eats, and since she squeezes everything she grabs, not much makes it into her mouth. It's like nature knows how much her tummy can handle! If I was feeding her pureed food, she'd eat so much more. I like this better. No constipation, no worries

That sums up our feeding Eva too. Lil'Momma, I'm not having any issues with Eva over-fulling her mouth- I don't think she gets any! She cant really grasp any 'mush', maybe I don't put enough in front of her. She loves to suck on apple slices, but she doesn't 'get' any. Still only the frozen rutabega that she sucks away (is was mushed) but I'm scared of her choking. Anytime she gets any sort of chunk in her mouth she spits it out. What are you guys feeding? and how is is prepared and served? Romi was eating cauliflower and broccoli, eh? Was it really really soft?

Romi does that when she eats leaves

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#544 of 810 Old 10-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismarie View Post
gosh, you all write so much. i have such a hard time keeping up.

but i enjoy reading about everything that's going on.

it's my bday today : and i'm having a good day (not always true on my bday ) we helped our friends with their yurt-building and went and got my favorite pizza (organic, woodfired, yummm).
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

hope you had a wonderful day!!!

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#545 of 810 Old 10-21-2007, 11:08 PM

Sigh, long day, weekend, week! We've been working hard on our addition, today we started to plaster the straw. Hard work!

Axel got a 'big boy bed' last night. It's a captain's bed with a shelf and drawers. Awww, he's a big boy! :cry yes, I know he's almost 3!!

So I moved Evangeline to the crib, which is butted up on my side of the bed, and it's perfect becuase the mattresses are the same height. It's just pretty big, and I have to crawl up to my bed from the bottom.

She's sitting up all the time, but none of this standing or crawling!!
Oh, and she's been geting up at night more- last night I can't even remember how often, but 2x anway. 'm tired! Is is this 6 month growth spurt! I hope so!
A

#546 of 810 Old 10-21-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
14lbs 8 oz here! I think we have the littlest littles
Unfortunately, I have you beat. Pippa was born at 4 lbs. 14 oz., and at her 6 month check up last Tuesday, she is 12 lbs. 2 oz. She's 25.5" tall. She is a long and lean girl, for sure!

She does have luscious round cheeks and is getting nice wrinkley thighs!

Here's a couple recent pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../bluedress.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Pippa/hat.jpg
#547 of 810 Old 10-21-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismarie View Post
:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
#548 of 810 Old 10-21-2007, 11:19 PM

CorbinsMama: she's a cutie!! But tiny is right!
#549 of 810 Old 10-21-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post
Sigh, long day, weekend, week! We've been working hard on our addition, today we started to plaster the straw. Hard work!

Axel got a 'big boy bed' last night. It's a captain's bed with a shelf and drawers. Awww, he's a big boy! :cry yes, I know he's almost 3!!

So I moved Evangeline to the crib, which is butted up on my side of the bed, and it's perfect becuase the mattresses are the same height. It's just pretty big, and I have to crawl up to my bed from the bottom.

She's sitting up all the time, but none of this standing or crawling!!
Oh, and she's been geting up at night more- last night I can't even remember how often, but 2x anway. 'm tired! Is is this 6 month growth spurt! I hope so!
A
Romi's the same. I.am.so.tired.
It's the marathon nursing in the am that's getting to me. From 4am till we wake up... She won't take binky, just my boob. And to make matters worse, she likes to turn her head around to look up with my small B cups in her mouth. They can't move like that, they're small so we have no wiggle room, they're stuck close to my chest

Liam's been in his toddler bed (Ikea) since he was in a cast and couldn't go in his crib anymore. Made an easy transition!
#550 of 810 Old 10-21-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinsMama View Post
Unfortunately, I have you beat. Pippa was born at 4 lbs. 14 oz., and at her 6 month check up last Tuesday, she is 12 lbs. 2 oz. She's 25.5" tall. She is a long and lean girl, for sure!

She does have luscious round cheeks and is getting nice wrinkley thighs!

Here's a couple recent pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../bluedress.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Pippa/hat.jpg
AWww she's so cute!!
I bet she would look miniature compared to Eva- but she's beautiful!
A

#551 of 810 Old 10-21-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Romi's the same. I.am.so.tired.
It's the marathon nursing in the am that's getting to me. From 4am till we wake up... She won't take binky, just my boob. And to make matters worse, she likes to turn her head around to look up with my small B cups in her mouth. They can't move like that, they're small so we have no wiggle room, they're stuck close to my chest
!
True dat!!
Please tell me the waking will stop. Because I don't lie right next to her, she lays there and moans until I move her over to nurse, and then she's frantic like a little shark! Forget the soother!
I so hear you about the firmly attached 'booboos' (as Axel says, Vangeween wike booboos) Nursing in public has become either impossible or a free show, because Eva will nurse for a bit, then pop off and hang her head upside down to watch something, then rush back up and clamp on, nurse for a bit, than hang upside down again, then clamp back on....over and over, I just sit there with my boob hanging (or not hanging) out!
A

#552 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 12:40 AM

#553 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 03:00 AM

Hello all!
I am new to these site and I'm so glad that I found it, ita very interesting to see and "meet" other people that makes you realize that you are not really crazy for thinking the way yo do about parenting. I am a first time mom to a babyboy named Mateo. He was borned naturally on April 18/2007 here in South Florida. DH and I are from Spain and came to live in US 6 years ago. Parenting has been an amazing esperience and we couldn't ask for anything else right know.
We are still trying to define our parenting methods and we are strong believers that we "never can say never", however we already took certain choices in our lives that hopefully will help us to shape our parenting style as well.
I am looking forward to hear and learn from all of you and also getting to meet your babies.

It nice to be here!:
#554 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 03:08 AM

Mateo'sMommy!
Glad you found us! We love more company around here!

Wife to J. Mama to girly S (4/07), little boy blue E (1/10) and tiny peanut girl due (7/12)

#555 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 03:24 AM

Happy Birthday, KrisMarie!!!

I ordered dipes from a local mom. I'll get them within a week. The gal selling the kit only makes newborn size, so I'll just have to adjust my pattern and keep practicing.

CorbinsMama - Love the hat picture, cute!

Scarlet is doing some new things on the nursing front, too. Takes forever to get nurse to sleep, does the on/off, on/off until I finally just say, "off!" and now shakes her back and forth like she's on whatever she is chewing (including me) rubbing her gums, very silly.

She laughs spontaneously at Max now, it is SOOO cute. She just loves her big brother.

Welcome, Mateo's Mom!

It's been so rainy and muddy here, we haven't been to the pumpkin patch yet. I'm hoping to have some sunshine by Halloween, it's our anniversary. Serj, your kids are beautiful. I love pumpkin pictures.

Romi continues to be a gorgeous babe, and so sophisticated.
#556 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 06:09 AM

Happy B-Day Krismarie, hope it was good til the end

Cute pics, everyone.

Yeeeeeeeeah it's def 4 and I am up. Sigh. I woke up about an hour ago to the G-Force latching on and off, on and off, and I realized I could hear her trying to breathe while she was nursing. Poor babe, her nose was so stuffy....she managed to nurse back to sleep but still sounded awful, so I had the bright idea of using one of those bulb syringe thingies.. Well she did not sleep through that torture to say the least. She still sounds stuffy (although a little improved) but she was awake and made it clear she was not going back to sleep for awhile...maybe she thinks I'll attack her again with the nasal aspirator...who knows.

She must be teething. Only explanation I can think of...massive amounts of drool, fussiness, big bright red rash on her bum, and the stuffy nose. I gave her a little infant Tylenol before bed since she was being such a lunatic and kept waking up crying every few minutes while I was nursing her down. Poor baby. She's having naked time in her little rainforest activity gym and showing no signs of getting sleepy...
#557 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 AM

How did I forget that there's a Life with a Babe forum? And that there would surely be "April babies" threads? D'oh!! I don't have time to go back and read all of Octobers posts right now, but here's a quick update from us:

Heidi's doing great! We haven't taken her to any well baby visits (except for the one at 4 days, to have the pku done), so I have no idea how much she weighs (we don't have a scale of any kind at home ). I'm guessing in the 15-18 lb. range. She's definitely smaller than her sister was at this age, but healthy as can be. She's LOOOONNNG. Already in 12 month clothes since 6-9 month stuff is too short.

I was really worried about my milk supply in the beginning, but we're still going strong. I've been dragging my feed RE introducing solids, but the girl wants to EAT. LOL We've been doing some limited self-feeding the last week or so and she's getting the hang of it.

She's sitting up pretty good, with a little support, and scooting around a little. She's been trying to crawl for about 6 weeks now, but hasn't quite figured it out.

She's got the best little belly laugh, and thinks Fiona is the funniest thing ever. She figured out how to tickle her big sister's feet this morning, which was a hoot. I'm not sure which one of them was more surprised, or who laughed the most!

I'll be back later ...

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#558 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
CorbinsMama: she's a cutie!! But tiny is right!
Thanks! We like her! :
#559 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 02:14 PM

Love the cakes, firsttime!

Scout was up and wide-eyed at 3 AM and I had a heck of a time getting her to go back to sleep. Ugghh. I am having trouble with co-sleeping and I am sad about it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE sleeping with my baby....even if it means her being attached to my boob all night. That is fine with me. But if I am in the bed with her - even if there is 3 feet between us, my presence wakes her up frequently. She sleeps from 11pm-8:30am STRAIGHT THROUGH if I am not in bed with her. (I have the monitor on full blast next to my head, so I know if she even stirs a little bit)

If I am in bed with her, she actually wakes all the way up and plays and coos and rolls and scoots several times during the night. And I have a tought time getting her back to sleep. It's like mommy = playtime. I hate sleeping in a separate room as her. I really HATE it. But it seems like it's the only way that she will sleep and not wake up to play a trillion times a night. I am thinking about sleeping on the floor of her room right next to her mattress and see what she does. I have thought about bringing her mattress into our room, but DH loves watching t.v. in bed and has to have an alarm clock and is just generally a noisy person, so that would not work. I have a feeling I am going to have to put a separate bed in DD's room for me to sleep on.

Okay - sorry for that rant. (it's also x-posted in cosleeping and nighttime parenting, if it looks familiar to you)

I have proven to be sort of un-crunchy when it comes to solids, I suppose. It was my intention to go the self-feeding route. It makes sense. But I am really paranoid about choking and just can't get past it. I'm a kook, I know. I have been giving Scout pureed organic sweet potatoes and she loves them. She sort of "helps" me spoon them into her mouth by grabbing the spoon handle with both hands and shoving it in her mouth while slurping voraciously. I always hold onto the spoon because she gags herself if I don't. Surely, it won't hurt if we stick to purees for a while, will it?? : It seems like I can tell when she's done. She just loses interest and I stop.

Well, I am getting ready for a yard sale. Ick! and I need to get off the computer and get some stuff done. Talk to you ladies later!
#560 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewpie-o View Post

I have proven to be sort of un-crunchy when it comes to solids, I suppose. It was my intention to go the self-feeding route. It makes sense. But I am really paranoid about choking and just can't get past it. I'm a kook, I know. I have been giving Scout pureed organic sweet potatoes and she loves them. She sort of "helps" me spoon them into her mouth by grabbing the spoon handle with both hands and shoving it in her mouth while slurping voraciously. I always hold onto the spoon because she gags herself if I don't. Surely, it won't hurt if we stick to purees for a while, will it?? : It seems like I can tell when she's done. She just loses interest and I stop.
i am contemplating this as well.....i get the logic of self-feeding but....i am stressed about preparing the food in the right sized chunks so she can still grab easily, but won't choke....That and I was really looking forward to using the mini-food processor my dad bought for me (my dad is not a very demonstrative person, but it was a sweet gift as we like to cook together) and making our own baby food....looooooooooser I know I have special little ice-cube like trays to freeze the food in and everything. Am I a first-time madre??:

So maybe we'll do a combo. So many decisions to make.
#561 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen_anne78 View Post
I have special little ice-cube like trays to freeze the food in and everything. Am I a first-time madre??:

So maybe we'll do a combo. So many decisions to make.
I have those too!
Well, they're on loan. I haven't used them yet, but I bet I will. I think I may hand DD a piece of banana later to see what she does. She has her bottom 2 front teeth. So.....she won't bite off a hunk and choke on it? : Ease my choking fears, someone.
#562 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 04:06 PM

I'm always scared of choking thing as well. But to be honest, that never goes away. Ds is almost 3 and I still get scared. BUT you can't feed your baby purees forever. So at 8 months, you'll still be scared of choking, but you'll have to switch gears anyways, you know? So I decided to take the plunge now. And let her decide what and how the food gets in her mouth! But I do steam the veggies till soft, so technically she'd be hard pressed to choke on those.

As for knowing when full, it takes a baby (or even an adult) a while to actually figure out they're full. Chances are that your baby was full a few spoonful before she actually stopped wanting to eat. Opening the mouth to eat becomes automatic, I mean, ask your dh to spoon food into your mouth (I actually did this!) and you'll be surprised to realise you'll just keep opening your mouth even if you've had enough!
#563 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 04:07 PM

Oh, Kewpie: you never answered, i want a review of the Goodmama!!
#564 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 04:25 PM

Oh my! So much to comment on. Let me see what I remember to comment on.

Happy Birthday, KrisMarie!!!

I LoveLove, Love! all of the pictures! This ddc must have the best looking babies!

I'll be back in a bit.

doudat: congrats on 800!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#565 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 05:26 PM

woo-hoo, I hadn't noticed my post count!

Quote:
Oh, Kewpie: you never answered, i want a review of the Goodmama!!
Ah man, just looked at her site, she just stocked. But shipping to Canada is 13$!!!
If anyone orders, and needs to qualify for free shipping (over 100$), I'd love to combine our orders to get one! (free shipping doesn't apply to canada )
#566 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 05:47 PM

I can't believe how well some of those babes are sitting!

It's so fun to read about the adventures in eating that the lo's are having!

queen_anne78, Kewpie: I wouldn't worry about the purees. You need to do what works for you and your lo's.

Of course that's coming from the vax, sposie-wearing, non-co-sleeping mom.

Mateo'sMommy: Welcome! Can't wait for you to share your adventures! I think it will be interesting to hear your perspectives on things. How interesting to find out that you moved from Spain.

heathenmom: Welcome back! I love how Heidi tickled her sister's toes! How cool is that!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#567 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 06:16 PM

doudat - those are great points! That makes me feel a whole lot better about taking a crack at self-feeding. Wanna know one of my other excuses for feeding purees right now? (well, it's not a very good one ) I am rarely able to buy all organic produce for DH and I because of finances, but the organic babyfood at our local natural food store seems pretty inexpensive - not much more than the cheapo stuff. But that's a silly way to think because:
a) I'm not eating all organic food and she gets her nutrition through my breastmilk, so I guess it doesn't make much sense that I want her to eat all organic solids.
b) If I am so concerned with her eating all organic, I could just buy her a couple pieces of organic produce instead of the organic baby food. Maybe I'm just lazy :

Re: Goodmama diaper. I really do love it. It's one of the first fitteds I reach for now because the fit is so good and it seems so comfy. The elastic is very stretchy - not at all harsh, like some of the dipes I own. The absorbency seems plenty for daytime, but I have to add a good doubler if I use it at night or for naps. My Baby BeeHinds bamboo diapers are more absorbent, but not as soft as the Goodmamas and the fabric around the leg holes have gotten a little stiff, so they just don't seem like they'd be all that comfortable - sometimes they leave red marks. I guess that's why I like the Goodmama dipe more. I honestly wouldn't mind if ALL of my fitteds were Goodmama one-size....but hey, if we can't afford organic produce, we certainly can't afford to revamp our diaper stash with $30 diapers! LOL
#568 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewpie-o View Post
I am rarely able to buy all organic produce for DH and I because of finances, but the organic babyfood at our local natural food store seems pretty inexpensive - not much more than the cheapo stuff. But that's a silly way to think because:
a) I'm not eating all organic food and she gets her nutrition through my breastmilk, so I guess it doesn't make much sense that I want her to eat all organic solids.
I just went through that thought process myself because I had been limiting him to organic solids..........
#569 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 06:25 PM

I just want to put out that I don't really feel like I'm in a crunch competition with our ddc. I just love the diversity of our families and parenting styles.
#570 of 810 Old 10-22-2007, 06:29 PM

mclisa & hanno - thanks for saying that. Sometimes I feel like such a weirdo here on MDC when I stray from the all-crunchy-all-the-time way of doing things. : Sometimes I'm reluctant to admit when I do things that aren't quite ALL natural or a little bit on the mainstream side. : It's good for me to remember that we're all at different levels of crunchiness. ETA: No one in our DDC has ever made me feel that way - it's just my own hang-up.

Oh yeah, and I'm also surprised at how many babies can sit up so well and stand while holding onto stuff and crawl. Gees! Scout is still just scooting on her belly and she can only sit unassisted for very short periods of time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page