Mothering Forum banner

MAY 2007 It is October already

20K views 679 replies 47 participants last post by  BrooklynDoula 
#1 ·
I started a new thread for the first of the month can you believe it. Our babies are going to be 5 months old wow time has flied.

#304 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post

I also like the idea of another bead swap. I didn't get to do the last one, but I have lots of beads!

Anyone else's baby in a convertible carseat now? We switched DS a couple days ago.
i just switched ezra out of the bucket last week. he looks so much more comfortable! i like it, too, because it eliminates dh's temptation to carry him around in the carseat. that was always one of my pet peeves.

#305 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarabrynn82 View Post
No time to catch up - but Willa just rolled back to tummy and then tummy to back!!! Maybe they've been practicing behind my back...
Yay Willa!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by koru View Post
i just switched ezra out of the bucket last week. he looks so much more comfortable! i like it, too, because it eliminates dh's temptation to carry him around in the carseat. that was always one of my pet peeves.
I must admit- before I had DS I HATED the infant seat and how every mom I saw was carrying one around. Now I am going to miss it. I liked having something to lay him in if he fell asleep while we were out, and something easily transfered from car to car and planes. I swore I would never be that kind of mom, lol. Now I almost want to cry because he looks so grown up in that seat! He's not an itty-bitty baby anymore...

#308 ·
I'd love to do a bead swap!

And Lizzy, if you send me a PM with your addy, I'd also love to be part of the care package brigade. Maybe we can coordinate dates, so she's not getting everything at once?

Megan, how in the world did you finish writing your diss. with a little one? I am feeling completely overwhelmed. I still have reading to do, and I'm teaching a few afternoons, and when I'm home I am busy with Iris. By the time she's asleep at night, I'm exhausted and just want to catch up on emails and MDC
(um, and now probably facebook, too
. I need details, please!!!! Help me figure this out!

BTW, I am holding "office hours" right now, but since no one ever comes I'm using this time to do the above, when I really should be working
!!!!

#311 ·
hey....did i know you named your baby kermit? that's my dh's name. love it!! as you know, it means "free spirit" which is such a great meaning. we were so careful to pay attention to the meaning of all 3 of our kids' names.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fioner View Post
Kermit's been in his Marathon for about a month now. He does seem much more comfortable, it seems like he sits more upright and can see more stuff. Plus he likes the way the cover feels.

#312 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by darsmama View Post
How do you know if your baby is ready for the convertable? I have a graco I was graciously given last xmas, She seems comfortable in it still. She is wearing 9-12 month clothing and the car seat expires in December...Ok to hold off for a while?
His feet where getting to the edge of the seat, so I switched him. We also have a Britax Roundabout.

Quote:

hey....did i know you named your baby kermit? that's my dh's name. love it!! as you know, it means "free spirit" which is such a great meaning. we were so careful to pay attention to the meaning of all 3 of our kids' names.
I love names with real meanings too! Names are one of my obbessions, lol. I love that Kermit means "Free Spirit".. I might keep that in mind...

#313 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post

I'm really proud of myself. I've been walking 5 days a week for about 9 weeks. I'm up to 2 1/2 miles, up and down hills. (not that the scale is taking any notice of my efforts)
That's great!

I actually went to the gym twice last week, but only for 30 minutes each time.

#314 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
I'd love to do a bead swap!

And Lizzy, if you send me a PM with your addy, I'd also love to be part of the care package brigade. Maybe we can coordinate dates, so she's not getting everything at once?

Megan, how in the world did you finish writing your diss. with a little one? I am feeling completely overwhelmed. I still have reading to do, and I'm teaching a few afternoons, and when I'm home I am busy with Iris. By the time she's asleep at night, I'm exhausted and just want to catch up on emails and MDC
(um, and now probably facebook, too
. I need details, please!!!! Help me figure this out!

BTW, I am holding "office hours" right now, but since no one ever comes I'm using this time to do the above, when I really should be working
!!!!
I'll PM you about LizzyQ.

As for the dissertation, I was not writing with a LO (did m exams and such during ds1 first year). My kid was about 4 during writting. That said I have some possibly helpful things that I did.

1. Set small goals and go out of your way to always met or exceed them. For example, write 2-3 pages on xyz or read ch 3 of xtz and then don't let yourself off.

2. Along with one, break all tasks down into small pieces.

3. Set aside work time (2 hour slots usually work, a little less if needed for nursing or a little more if she can take it). I think 2-3 hours works best because you need to get on it and be focused and then quit - you don't have time to be slow and unproductive.

4. Use your work time only for the diss and be very disciplined about not doing ANY THING ELSE. Seriously, no grading papers, emailing people, looking at conference cfps, etc. Only the diss and always do #1.

5. Have rewards. Whatever it is - a tv show, MDC, going out for dinner, watching a movie with dh, etc. Make sure you have time off where you celebrate not working and relax away from the diss.

6. Work out when possible. It gives you more energy and I think creates more mental clarity. Take Iris for power walks or do mommy and me yoga or what not, especially before a work session. This helps also.

7. Everything you don't have to do (like committees or meetings, student work, volunteer time that is not with Iris, etc) drop it. Don't sign up for email lists. Don't volunteer for anything (unless you can always do it with Iris and it brings you joy).

Alright, I think those are Megan's 7 rules
And, in violation of #7, I'd love to read what you are working on (and I have a paper I think you might find interesting that I wrote on reproduction/procreation). Perhaps we can email each other ann talk theory instead of mommy

#315 ·
I sent a facebook request...

I'd like to do a bead swap, especially after reading Dancebaraka's thread about looking good as a mama - I could use some more adornment.

I joined the Y a couple weeks ago. I put the DC in the babysitting room. DD would start crying and they'd come find me. Then... I went out and bought a pacifier and...it works. We didn't use one with DS and probably wouldn't for DD except man, I need to get back in shape. None of my pants fit!
:

DD is still in her bucket, even though I think she is long, because I JUST bought a used snap-n-go stroller and I do like using that on occasion. I have a Roundabout waiting for her, but when she's asleep it's so nice to be able to pluck the bucket out...

#316 ·
Quote:

Yeah.. you commented on it when our babies were brand new
I've always thought it was cool that someone in my DDC had a husband named Kermit. I don't think I've ever met anyone in real life named Kermit. I think it is such an awesome name. We used it because of the Muppets, but I was so happy when I found out the meaning. Yay Kermit!

#317 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fioner View Post
We used it because of the Muppets
Now you've got me thinking... DH was talking about future girls names (yes, he's already talking about future babes) and he mentioned Prairie Dawn - which I really kind of liked! Glory, Willa, and Prairie (and Judge if we ever have a boy) but then he told me it was a Sesame Street character. I didn't know how I felt about it then. But hey, at least we wouldn't be the only ones!

#318 ·
Man, I go away for the weekend and it takes me 2 hrs to catch up!

((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))) To all the Mama's who need them.

Lizzy-I understand how you feel. DH is in the Navy and goes away A LOT! Matter of fact he just got home from a 3mth deployment (he left end of June and got home 2 weeks ago). It SUCKS them being away, no matter how long or how short of time. I hate even one night!! He leaves next week for 2 weeks. PM me if you want to talk or just need a shoulder.

Krystal- I voted for Claire again today.

Maggie is a so cute! I LOVE those rolls on her arms!

And Megan, when I saw Maggie I thought of Clay! LOL

I'd love to do another bead swap. I love my necklace from the 1st one. I was wondering the other day if I could make it longer and if I could find a string to make it as a nursing necklace.

I'll try to figure out facebook. Is it kinda like My Space?

#320 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ewins24 View Post
I'd love to do another bead swap. I love my necklace from the 1st one. I was wondering the other day if I could make it longer and if I could find a string to make it as a nursing necklace.

I'll try to figure out facebook. Is it kinda like My Space?
Last week I took my beads apart and restrung them on a heavier cord instead of the flimsy beading elastic that they were on before. It is hanging on the wall above the change table and DD plays with it when we are doing diaper changes, keeps her occupied and from rolling towards the edge.

Not sure what MySpace is like... I never figured it out so I didn't get a page going there.

#321 ·
Has anyone else picked out a Halloween costume yet?
Genevieve is going to be a skunk.

LizzyQ- I can understand how you feel. DH is gone all the time for work. Literally. It stinks.

We are just switching to a convertible seat- DD really prefers it!

#323 ·
Henry's too big for the cute frog costume I was given. I don't know if I want to do Halloween big this year. I am burnt out! I haven't even thought of something to give/do for Delia's birthday, which is this Saturday! We're going to a wedding and she's the flower girl so we have rehearsal dinner, wedding, driving back home etc to think about. Then doing something for her birthday, then Halloween, and in between all that there's work and plenty left to move/unpack! Whine, whine, whine.

I'm sandwiched in between the kids right now. Henry's been waking up more at night and I can't decide if it's teething or dairy. I'm off the dairy free wagon for the moment - donuts. Yum. And fresh mozzarella. YUM YUM.

I think the T means toddler and it does mean more room in the butt/rise for a diaper. I personally think it's kind of gross that there are 4T and 5T clothes out there, but I suppose some kids have big butts even without diapers! Delia requires size 3 jeans, not 3T, which I have to get at Gymboree because no one else makes them. Lands End size 3T pants/jeans are pretty good, but the Gymboree jeans make a huge difference. She was some size 18 month shorts this past summer because they have so much extra room for a diaper - 18 month and size 3 are not that different!

It's nice and relaxing to be at my in-laws. Delia and her grandma get along really really well, and it's so much easier to relax about Henry too. I actually enjoy the time away from him instead of being all nervous/anxious about it like when people took Delia away from me when she was little. It's just how I was, though, and that was OK too. But this is nicer. I'm reading a book. Back to it now!

I'd love to be in a swap thingie.

#324 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
Has anyone else picked out a Halloween costume yet?
Genevieve is going to be a skunk.

We are just switching to a convertible seat- DD really prefers it!
Kayleigh is going to be a skunk as well, I am making the costume. I hope I get it done in time!

We switched to the convertible (Marathon) in August when we were on our way home from Ontario (30hr drive) and she was SO much better in it. It was much more comfortable and she sits higher up and a little more upright so she can look out the window when we're driving. We spend a lot of time in the car here so it's imperative for us to have a comfy and safe seat for her.

#325 ·
I just got out my older dd's convertible (Marathon) and put Elise in it and she started laughing!
Since she liked it so much she cried when we took her out and the baby hates her other car seat! So, the cover is in the wash and as soon as it dries it will go in the car. I hope it will make a difference in the car b/c we too have to be in the car a lot w/ the 2 older girls.

Emily-I understand about not wanting to do Halloween. I was like that last yr.
I'm off cheese w/ Elise too
... It stinks. I just want to sit w/ HUGE ball of fresh mozzarella, basil and tomatoes! Now I'm hungry!

#326 ·
I joined Facebook tonight, sent an invite to join the group...

I keep changing between the bucket and the convertible for Emma. Right now, she's in the bucket. But we are selling our car and buying a new one, so I'm guessing I'll install the convertible in that one. We actually have not really used our bucket. Maybe for a week or two here and there - but she's in the convertible most of the time.

to those Momma's that are temporarily single mommas - even one night is hard!

#327 ·
halloween....simone is going to be a monkey & kaiya, a banana tree. ezra will wear a pumpkin costume a neighbor brought over a few weeks ago. i was planning on staying home with ezra & passing out candy but maybe now we'll all go trick-or-treating together. i don't know!? my parents moved back to illinois a few months ago (only 1/2 hr from me!!!) and my mom really wants to go trick-or treating with the girls.

i'm new to the facebook thing, too. how does this work? do we all add each other to our accounts & can access it together? i need to ask kim because she's on facebook all the time. teenagers these days know everything about computers!

#328 ·
I have no idea what Sebastian will be. They have costumes at Target and Old Navy that I should check into sometime soon. I would like to get a few photos taken (probably Target for $4 a sheet) with him in his costume too. We were going to do it at home, but DH is the photographer, so that's not going to happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.