Mothering Forum banner

MAY 2007 It is October already

20K views 679 replies 47 participants last post by  BrooklynDoula 
#1 ·
I started a new thread for the first of the month can you believe it. Our babies are going to be 5 months old wow time has flied.

#330 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by koru View Post
ezra will wear a pumpkin costume a neighbor brought over a few weeks ago. .
I wonder if the ever famous pumpkin costume is the most popular hand me down??? I too was given a pumpkin costume for Austin to wear!! Although now I am wondering if 1) it will fit his chunky little body? and 2)If it will still be too hot to wear!!

I want to switch to the convertible seat too! DS really hates those earmuff things in his Britax bucket seat!!

Hey--does any one here use nursing necklaces??? I have bruises on the under sides of my arms from DS's little kneading fingers while he gets lost in "nursey" land! Wondered how well they will work at keeping him occupied!

And BTW--I am feeling much more peaceful about my AP ways after all you guys encouragement!!!! Thank you!!!

#331 ·
MSAX, how do find out if your lipstick has lead in it? I have Mary Kay and something else, I wear not even once a month!

Jenn, Elisabeth's first tooth popped in, and I didn't notice until she bit me--finger not boob, thankfully! She's still pretty easy to get to sleep, out a few minutes after lights out, generally she nurses, sometimes she wants the paci--which used to bug me, but means I can roll over and snuggle with
. *happy sigh*

I'm in for the swap. Sounds like fun. I've never done one, so whenever we start someone should explain it.

Baraka, I called E's neck nastiness neck cheese and
was all grossed out!

I got apples to make
an apple pie. I can't eat it, am avoiding sugar/wheat/dairy(mostly just milk, 'cuz I eat cheese and butter). I took the weekend off,
made me brownies!
Now, starting back on it today. *sigh*

LizzyQ, sorry DH is gone, that's a long time. I miss
when he's gone just overnight.

Heidi, Maggie's starting to talk already??? I mean talk understandably? Elisabeth squeals and growls and makes all sorts of noise, but doesn't 'talk-talk', YKWIM? Does anyone else's LO talk? And know what they're saying? And are you not eating wheat? I just got some rice bread and liked it way better than tapioca--it's texture was like sawdust, seriously!

Firemomma1,
I'm sorry, I hate it when my mom tells me I can't keep carrying Elisabeth around and so on. Argh, just drives me nuts.

I'm going to get a Facebook account when I get around to it. Friends keep asking me. I don't have time to keep my MySpace updated or my blog, argh.

Elisabeth is in some 6 mos, and my mom got me a bunch of long-sleeved onesies that are so cute, 6 each of 12 mo, 18 and 24. So I have been using those since it's turned cool here.

Gardenmommy, good job on your walking. I need to be doing more walking.

E's still in her bucket, I've got a scary story to tell after lunch. Gotta go!

#332 ·
We skipped the whole bucket thing and have used the roundabout since the beginning, packed w/ extra blankets at first..
:

So I'd love to do a bead or crafty swap or a mama-nurturing swap... I've been like the Swap Queen this last couple of months since I discovered the MDC TP! It's so fun to get treats in the mail and make up sweet packages for others...

Can I host the swap even if I just started swapping? I'd be open to that if ya'll offered some help and direction... I get confused by details a lot.

Oh yes and I have very big news....

I am getting to take my retreat this december!! We found an inexpensive little place looking out on the marsh and close to the beach. I am going down w/ Akasha dec 1 and Todd will meet us later on in the month after his finals. I think A's Godmother will join us for a few nights as well. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity for this!
:
:
:

#333 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
Oh yes and I have very big news....

I am getting to take my retreat this december!! We found an inexpensive little place looking out on the marsh and close to the beach. I am going down w/ Akasha dec 1 and Todd will meet us later on in the month after his finals. I think A's Godmother will join us for a few nights as well. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity for this!
:
:
:
oh baraka! that's great news!! this retreat is for writing, right? i must admit, when i first read "i have big news" my mind went straight to babyland. as much as i would love another LO, i'm quite sure we're done....so i have to live vicariously!

i've never organizied a swap either but will participate in whatever you mamas are up for. my ddc necklace is prized!

my inka storch wrap came in the mail yesterday & she is gorgeous!!!! i'll have to post pics when i have a minute.

facebook, anyone? what do i do now that i have an account!?
send me your addy's ladies!!

#335 ·
darsmama, I love the name Darci. Is anyone else here nuts about Pride and Prejudice--or Colin Firth?

I like Sebastian too. had someone in the family named Bas, thought it was so cool.
isn't into 'different' names. And if you're wondering, DH doesn't like to be called DH, so he's my guitar man.

Okay, the story. I changed Elisabeth's diaper in the car (I hate public bathrooms now) and set her in the carseat(bucket) sitting where you'd normally put the toddler in the grocery cart seat. We didn't buckle her into the carseat. So after we walked all over the store, she manages to get her feet down where her bum goes in the carseat and pushes so her head is way at the top of the carseat. It overbalances and flipped/seesawed over so she and it fell into the basket part of the grocery cart. She was startled, but not scared,
moved so fast! I was just about bawling in the middle of the store. Fortunately she wasn't hurt. No marks on her face or anywhere. I'm amazed. She was screaming (no surprise), and I nursed her, and she calmed down and was smiley and happy just five minutes later.

So, I bought a cart cover thingy, so when
wants to push her, we don't have to worry about the carseat. I usually like to sling her, but he likes the carseat so he can talk/play w/her while following me while we shop.

Have any of you all done anything remotely as stupid as that? I felt so bad and so dumb for not buckling her in.

I really want a nursing necklace, I would like to make one, cause I'm not shelling out $30 for one. Has anyone else made them?

#336 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ewins24 View Post
What are your little ones going to dress up for Halloween?

Elise is going to be a Tiger. And V (5yr old DD) is going to be an LSU cheerleader. Can you tell where Daddy went to school?

I love getting the kids all dressed up for Halloween. Its so much fun!
Maggie is going to be a tootsie roll.

#337 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
darsmama, I love the name Darci. Is anyone else here nuts about Pride and Prejudice--or Colin Firth?

I
Okay, the story. I changed Elisabeth's diaper in the car (I hate public bathrooms now) and set her in the carseat(bucket) sitting where you'd normally put the toddler in the grocery cart seat. We didn't buckle her into the carseat. So after we walked all over the store, she manages to get her feet down where her bum goes in the carseat and pushes so her head is way at the top of the carseat. It overbalances and flipped/seesawed over so she and it fell into the basket part of the grocery cart. She was startled, but not scared,
moved so fast! I was just about bawling in the middle of the store. Fortunately she wasn't hurt. No marks on her face or anywhere. I'm amazed. She was screaming (no surprise), and I nursed her, and she calmed down and was smiley and happy just five minutes later.

How scary I am glad she is alright.

#338 ·
We just got back from ds's WBV- he is 15 lbs and 25 1/2 in long. He's a little guy.. but feels like 50 lbs sometimes.

So now that we are in the roundabout, how can my lo sleep better? On our way home from the ped his head was hanging down.. and the seat does not recline. He likes it otherwise, but I feel bad for his little neck!

#341 ·
I used our convertable seat for our long trip this weekend. I figured it'd be more comfy than the bucket. I'm starting to regret getting the bucket.
wish I had just started him in the roundabout. Oh well.

I've got the Graco 30lb limit safeseat and it fits in our graco stroller, but I was wondering if I should only use it to 20ish pounds in the stroller because the stroller was made before the 30lb limit seats came out? Not that I use it that much. I tried to find the info in the carseat manual, but it wasn't there. I did notice that it said don't put carseat on top of a shopping cart, but that confused me
because I thought that was the point of buckets. Or, maybe it's because it's a 30lb limit one and the regular ones could be safely used on the shopping carts

At the LLL conference there was a new vendor--Baby Ktan--. My prediction is this is the new big awesome baby carrier. It's pretty darn cool. I want one. . .anyone have one?

#342 ·
Quote:

Have any of you all done anything remotely as stupid as that? I felt so bad and so dumb for not buckling her in.

I really want a nursing necklace, I would like to make one, cause I'm not shelling out $30 for one. Has anyone else made them?
I posted before about DD falling out of the swing... I am convinced that she managed to unlatch the tray though! And then a few days later she did something similar to your daughter, except it was on the couch. She was laying on her back, got herself turned around so her feet were pushing against the back of the couch, gave a good push and flipped herself off... it took her about 20 seconds while my back was turned. Luckily it is not very far and while she landed head first it was into a pillow that happened to be laying there. She was startled but didn't really even dry. Poor kid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
So now that we are in the roundabout, how can my lo sleep better? On our way home from the ped his head was hanging down.. and the seat does not recline. He likes it otherwise, but I feel bad for his little neck!
Is it reclined as far as it should be when properly installed?? The tightly rolling a towel and jamming it in the crack of the seat before installing to get the proper 45° angle that you are supposed to have when rear-facing. Or a pool noodle. Take your car and seat to a local car-seat installation place, usually run by your insurance companies, and have them look at it. His head shouldn't hang forward like that.

#343 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meesa143 View Post
Does anyone have pics of a nursing necklace? That seems like a great idea to help Kade keep his hands busy so he will stop hitting and scratching me.
:
http://bee.xxvii.net/pickle/main.php?g2_itemId=26617
Here's a pic of me wearing the one I made when I had DD (now 2)... I wanted it to be attractive for both me and her, so I chose beads and stones that I like and an appealing texture and shape for her. Some people do a more "babyish" nursing necklace, with black and white beads or primary colours... but this one seems to be working well for DS now... didn't work all that well for DD because unfortunately she really preferred the skin contact and wasn't distracted long by a necklace.

#344 ·
He was called in for a "meeting" at 4:45 and let go. His boss (of three years) told him things just weren't "working out." He works in communications/PR, and has never been able to get a good "read" on his boss, no feedback, no direction, etc.

He isn't really upset about leaving the job, but is of course upset that he doesn't have a job to go to tomorrow, kwim? They did give him $5,000 severance pay and we can keep our health insurance until the end of the year. He filed for unemployment tonight while he looks for something else.

In some ways, this is a gift. He has not been happy in the job (or in his field) for a long time. He has been trying to figure out his "thing" that makes him want to jump out of bed everyday, but hasn't found it yet. Now, he finally has time to reflect on it. New job? New field? Back to school?

We're trying to stay positive, but it's challenging given that we depend almost solely on his salary to pay our bills. And scary since we have the babe now. I feel like if it was just the two of us, we'd pick up and move to Paris or someplace, but not so practical with the little one.

Anyway, please send some positive vibes our way if you've got any to spare. We could really use them right now. Thanks for letting me vent, mamas!

#345 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post

At the LLL conference there was a new vendor--Baby Ktan--. My prediction is this is the new big awesome baby carrier. It's pretty darn cool. I want one. . .anyone have one?
Huh! Wow, they got on TV, even...Looks interesting...

Laneysprout: YIKES! Actually, if this happened to my DH, it would kind of be a gift, as you say. (Except for us depending on the salary part.) Good luck to him and you!

#347 ·
Oh Alana, sounds like scarey and exciting times for you guys. We went through somehting like this when I was pg with our first son and it turned out really well for dh (switched jobs, much happier). Sending you lots of safe and secure vibes and lots of finding the perfect thing for you vibes for your dh!

#349 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
This looks pretty cool! I showed it to DH and he sd "You need another carrier like you need a hole in your head!"
I told him I guess I need a hole!

Alana-I'm sorry your DH lost his job. I hope he is able to find something soon and that it is something that he loves!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Got a baby with tummy problems again...sigh. Plus I just started a contract job from home, lovely. I guess I will be up until midnight.
Heidi- I hope that Maggie feels better soon! Poor baby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
We just got back from ds's WBV- he is 15 lbs and 25 1/2 in long. He's a little guy.. but feels like 50 lbs sometimes.

I 2nd the noodle. It worked really well when we did it w/ DD2. Sounds like Sebastian is growing just fine. Amazing how someone so small can seem to way a ton huh!?

Quote:

Mama. You aren't stupid. We all make mistakes. I'm glad she is OK.
I too want a nursing necklace and don't want to spend the money on one. I hope somoene has some good ideas for us.

Everyone will have to post pics of their little ones in their costumes...

#351 ·
Laneysprout:
I am sending a quick prayer out for you!I am sure this extra stressful!!

Nursing Necklaces: If any of you have some ideas for making one--I am up for that! Or if you can point me to where I can buy one for not too much. I really think this would help me not yelp in pain during nursing sessions!!

#352 ·
Maggirayne -- Oh I've got my fair share of stupid. The biggest one I can think of is: my dh put Mickey to sleep on our bed on a pillow. I walked by this set up and thought :"wow that's dangerous" but I didn't change it
:. Not two minutes later I glaced back in the room and Mickey had rolled off and was flat on his face sleeping on our very soft bed, unable to roll over. I about had a heart attack. My complacency could have killed my baby

Thankfully we can all live and learn and hopefully no one will get too hurt on the way

Alana! Wow. Loosing a job is scary, wait--more stressful than frightening. It sounds like you have a good attitude going. It's an oportunity
Good luck. I will be sending positive vibes your way

Nursing necklaces: I saw one at the lll conference that was a little different. It was a tube of material with elastic thru it (like a big, skinney scrunchi) and little ribbon tabs on it like a taggie blanket. I thought it looked neat.
OH another stupid thing I did: I made my own nursing necklace poorly and the beads came off and my LO got one and gagged on it and puked. I've been afraid to make one ever since, but I think I will make an elastic one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.