MAY 2007 It is October already - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WELCOME back Alice. I'm sorry you didn't get your UC. I hope you have healed from the loss of your UC. Glad to have you back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOBetz View Post
I'm reading nineteen minutes by Jodi Picoult. I have read a couple of her other books and they are awesome. Raw and real and honest. Not light reading however. The first Picoult book I read was about a little boy that had been molested by a priest and his family. Um yeah, not light reading - but very very good.

I also have snowflower and the secret fan. (Or something like that) My mom is also an avid reader and recommended it to me.
I really like her too. No its not easy reading but it is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
I'm curious about your Mothering/AP journey. How did you find MDC? Does your DH/DP agree/work/learn with you?

I've been developing my parenting philosophy, as I call it, and learning SO much about circ-ing, vax, GD, AP, even CD, etc. I used to think recycling was just a bunch of extra work, still don't, but I think about it. As I get more organized to separate trash to take to the place, maybe, but I digress. . .

So I've learned so much, and is way behind me and not interested in reading about any of it. He just questions why I think the way I do.

He did want the weekly newsletters I get from BabyCenter (I read them for the growth and development, scan and ignore [or scoff and jeer] most of it), so I've started forwarding them, wondered at the time, they're junk, not the way I'm raising my child. Well, the first one I sent, which I didn't read, had stuff about not nursing your baby, 5 mo, 2 wk, to sleep, letting them self-soothe, . . . So out of the blue last night he says "You don't always want to let her nurse to sleep." This was after I'd mused if I should nurse her since we were at the restaurant, and she was sooo tired, but it was loud, and most of her evening naps, all naps, she falls asleep after nursing. It's NORMAL. Sorry for shouting, I'm ticked. And he says the same sort of thing at bedtime. No skin off his nose, I nurse her during the night, change dipes, he never wakes up unless for some odd reason, 1-3x a month, she cries. Elisabeth is a really, really easy baby, BTW. I stay at home, can sleep in, so it makes sense, but I still wish sometimes he would change her, but waking him up and giving him the dipe, etc, naw, I'll just do it, ha! But basically, why worry about her nursing to sleep? Argh. Maybe we can talk in the car this weekend. Any ideas? I'm just feeling like the Lone Ranger.

Is anyone nightweaning?
DH defalts to me on all the kids issues. He doesn't like to read very much and knows I research things. He sees that we have happy healthy kids and so he is fine with everything.
Oh, gosh no night weaning here for a long while! Babies at this age still need to eat in the middle of the night b/c Like Megan sd their wants are their needs right now. Both of our older girls were not night weaned until after 2 and that so thats what we'll do now.
Maybe like Alice sd give him the Dr. Sears updates instead of babycenter so he doesn't get a bunch of hooey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJ View Post
Hi all - just found this forum! I have a May 2007 baby and would love to join in, if that's ok!
WELCOME to our group! I can't wait to get to know you and your little one.

Heidi, I hope that Maggie feels better very soon. I've been keeping you and her in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that working has gotten easier for you too. I couldn't imagine getting up at 4am but I'm a night owl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I'm curious about your Mothering/AP journey. How did you find MDC? Does your DH/DP agree/work/learn with you?
What a good question. I fell into AP after starting to breastfeed my son, 2.5 years ago. I started attending LLL meetings and found out about babywearing and cloth diapering. I never really sought out to be an attached parent. I just follow my instincts. But, there are things I do that work for my family, but that aren't MDC/AP/NFL style. (Like we selectively vaccinate on schedule, DS is circ'd (although I don't know if I would do it again), I use time outs, etc) Compared to MDC mommas, I know I'm semi-crunchy. But irl - I'm a pretty crunchy momma! I even belong to a AP playgroup now.

I have no idea how I found MDC.
My DH. Sigh. He gets freaked out sometimes. I started cleaning with vinegar. He freaked. He eventually calmed down - but he does have an initial resistance when I start doing something new in our house.

But, goodness, when there is a problem - its "what have you read online?"

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

Old 10-19-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
DH agrees with me on most points so far. He is more into co-sleeping than I am, but he is not the one with the bob getting sucked off and getting no sleep, so we only co-sleep part time. He is not as on-board with cloth diapering as I am. I think he was expecting me to give up on it like his ex did with the other kids, but really, I find it easier than disposables sometimes... and when the idiot dog gets into the diaper pail full of cloth diapers he scatters the diapers, if they're disposables, he gets sick.: And discipline.... yeah, we're pretty much on the same wavelength. We're not a spanking or time-out or "reasoning" with your child kind of house, it's just a matter-of-fact "hey, that's not what we do in our family" and sometimes a short explanation, but that's about it and the kids seem to do well with it.

Quote:
Is anyone nightweaning?
NO. My doctor had the nerve to ask me if I had started night-weaning when I went in because apparently the mis-led dental people advise it. I think she had her facts mixed up because from what I have read they advise night-weaning BOTTLE fed babies at 6 months because they often don't swallow that last mouthful but breast-fed babies don't do that. At any rate, I have no plans to night-wean before a year, after that, I will be back to working full time and might need the sleep, but she may night-wean on her own by then, she's a pretty good sleeper. And as for my doctor, I am either going to lie to her or get better info from my LLL leader and fill her in on the facts to get her to back off.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 10-19-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I found MDC through Tribe.net. I was in the attachment parenting tribe when I was pregnant, trying to find some vegetarian mamas, and someone sent me the link to here

My DH agrees with the crunchy ways of parenting.. he was the first to bring up that he didn't want our (then hypothetical) son circ'd, he agrees with me that we shouldn't vax (at least not yet, and if we do they will be selective), he loves wearing him in the sling, and he is very supportive of my breastfeeding exclusively. There is other stuff too.. vegan, organic, etc.. and he encourages me to CD, but I'm afraid and already very overwhelmed.

But I think he is getting ready to be done with co-sleeping... but I'm not I think that he thinks we'd have more of a sex life if ds wasn't in bed with us.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 10-20-2007, 01:00 AM

WARNING: holy batman quoting spree ahead!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaLes View Post
Thanks you guys for all this help and encouragement!! I am sooo glad to hear that I am not the only one who has questioned this all and felt "lost."
here it's dh who feels unsure about the way I parent Claire. He thinks she's "willful" and that I'm reinforcing bad behaviors etc when i go to pick her up if she's screaming. He thinks that i'm "teaching her that I'm her slave". Sigh. It's not a major fight-topic or anything, but it's frustrating to have him thinking I'm basically making her into a brat My point is, we all have our parenting struggles, heh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-stasis View Post
Emeth has started to crawl backwards.
Claire is doing this too! She's all kinds of (annoyingly!) mobile now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
after about 2 weeks of not being able to figure out why Kylie was so inconsolable at certain times, I discovered that she was tired. It's like she's completely overstimulated and needs to just get away from it all in order to relax and fall asleep.
Claire is like this too--she pitches fits if the room isn't properly quiet/dark/relaxed when she's sleepy. This is one of the things that dh points out as evidence she's spoiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
a gf gave me the Harry Potter books in the summer. I'm about halfway through #7 now.
BWAHAHAHA, another convert to the dark side!! j/k I thought HP was dumb for so long, then sometime in '05, I finally picked one up and devoured books 1-5 in about 4 days I adore the series. If you don't mind R-rated humor and sexual innuendo, there's an MDC mama who has written hilarious (like, wet-your-pants-worthy) parodies of at least 2 of the HP movies. PM me for the linkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Just wanted to remind you all that we are entering the "6 month growth spurt" anytime in the net couple of weeks
yeah Claire's doing this--part of the reason I've been MIA here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Never ever teach your baby "NO" this is from a mom of 5.
HAHAHA I quite agree! I teach mine "no thank you" once I can't avoid it any longer. yeah my toddlers still threw tantrums, but if they're yelling "NO FANK YOU" instead of just NO, somehow it's easier on my nerves......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Anyone else here on facebook??
nope, I'm a dedicated myspacer, but i will go try FB just for you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
OK maybe it's the conference, maybe it's the three.5 beers in me. . . . OK I'm dying with my inability to get a positive idea across without sounding goofy~~
Laura you should type drunk more often. that was a riot!! : (WITH you not AT you, of course )

s to Lizzy--hope the 5 weeks go fast and easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Anyone else's baby in a convertible carseat now? We switched DS a couple days ago.
Claire's been in a convertible Scenera from day one. It works fine for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewins24 View Post
Krystal- I voted for Claire again today.
Thanks to all of you who are voting for here I have no idea how the scores are even tallied, but meh, whatever, if i win that's great, if i don't it's nothing lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaLes View Post
Hey--does any one here use nursing necklaces???
I don't have one yet, b/c i wanted to make one but haven't had fundage for supplies in ages :

YAY BARAKA!! hope your retreat is awesome

Quote:
Okay, the story....
So, I bought a cart cover thingy, so when wants to push her, we don't have to worry about the carseat.
OMG, scary incident! i want a cart cover too, they look so cool, and my back would like an occasional break from slinging this babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
He was called in for a "meeting" at 4:45 and let go.
!!! sending good-opportunity vibes your way

{{{{Heidi}}}} s for Maggie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
Whew - I just finished Clan of the Cave Bear. I had never read it before, and was expecting all these sex scenes from the way people talked about it!
REALLY?? ! I have another friend who loved that book so much, she named her firstborn Ayla Tho I've never read it, I think meeting two people who really like it that much means maybe i should! I think i would have been more eager to if i had heard stuff about sex scenes tho... :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico'sAlice View Post
Not me. I wish! I did plan to UC (but at home) but after a few days transfered and then had a C-section eventually. : Pretty much the opposite of everything we'd planned.
: me too, another lost UC : Welcome back tho!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
What's everyone else reading?
Green Witchcraft by Ann Moura, tho I'm really too busy playing World of Warcraft to read much

Quote:
So I've learned so much, and is way behind me and not interested in reading about any of it.
Is anyone nightweaning?
i came to AP after i had a natural birth w/my son, but failed to breastfeed and completely obeyed the "What to expect" books' crappy parenting advice. I came from a rather abusive family, and that + the WTE books = a kid who got spanked a lot when he was tiny I felt like I'd messed up, and wanted to do "everything right" the 2nd time around. my dh then was completely disinterested in all that stuff, he just figured whatever i was doing was right and didn't pay enough attention to really even notice my changes of method over the years. my new dh is younger than me, this is his first babe, and to say he had a rough childhood would be the understatement of the year. he grew up in a boys' home from age 7-14 in some ways, he's the most compassionate gentle soul i've ever met, but in others, he just doesn't have enough faith in human nature to feel like gentle/AP methods "work". he feels like i think too much and "feel" too little--he refuses to read research i show him, b/c he thinks i just believe whatever makes the most compelling case and don't use my intuition/emotion at all. Or if i do, that they aren't to be trusted b/c of the manipulative/crazy way *I* was raised. bla bla bla...anyway...you did ask

Oh yeah, and no nightweaning here! i wouldn't even think of it before 12 months-ish... I mean, if she sleeps thru the night, AWESOME. but i'm not gonna push for it until she's older

hopefully i won't get drowned in the wash of posts again~ !!!

ETA: sex + co=sleeping. suffice it to say that i think a baby monitor and another twin mattress on the floor of my dd's room would both be GREAT investments into marital happiness co-sleeping sucks for sex, LOL.

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 10-20-2007, 01:44 AM

I've just started Zoloft for PPD.
Is anyone else having trouble with PPD?:

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 10-20-2007, 01:53 AM

for you theretohere. I have not struggled with these but did have other crippling mental health issues as a younger woman (panic attacks) and feel for you. Good for ou for seeing that ou needed help and talkiing about it - it takes a lot of strenght and insight to do that. Let us know if we can help in any way!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
I've been really struggling w/ it this time. I started taking St. Johns Wort and EPA and DHA. It has helped A LOT. I hope the Zoloft works for you sweetie, its not a fun place to be in at all. Feel free to PM me if you feel like you need to talk.

Krystal- Holy Batman now THAT was using the multi quote to its fullest!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:06 AM

Sam is sick this weekend - he's got upper chest congestion, but no cough so it's just sitting there gagging him. I fed him this morning, sat him up to burp, he finally did cough, and spewed up pretty much everything. My first thought was "look, he pulled a Maggie." Then I thought, oh, I hope that Maggie/her mommy wouldn't be offended that I thought that.

Also this morning, my 2 youngest DDs were breastfeeding their baby dolls. They were having a little bit of trouble with them biting, those little impish baby dolls. Coincidentally (or not) Sam has started clamping down when he wants to pause and look around. ow.

Last thing this morning - Sam likes to kind of grab the side of your face and pull you close for a love - he did that to his older brother this morning and just as he got his face close, spat up right on his face. It was a totally beautiful moment until then.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewins24 View Post

Heidi, I hope that Maggie feels better very soon. I've been keeping you and her in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that working has gotten easier for you too. I couldn't imagine getting up at 4am but I'm a night owl.
Thank you. Maggie is doing great (knock on wood) the last day. No real spitting up and not exorcism as we call it which is the projectiling. I am not sure what went on with her. I am keeping a food journal to see if it happens again if there is a certain food I am eating that is setting her off. She is still not happy with me working in the morning. She is so cute. This morning I could not leave bed. Every time I did she would wake up and grab onto my shirt. Finally at 6 am, she woke up woke up and I asked her "are you ready to go to work?" and she has the cutest little voice she says "ya" but she draws the ya at. Thankfully I only have to get my invoices in this morning...well I am not sure if I am thankful for that either since I am paid per case and if I do not have a case to work on then I am not paid.

Heidi
Old 10-20-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
Sam is sick this weekend - he's got upper chest congestion, but no cough so it's just sitting there gagging him. I fed him this morning, sat him up to burp, he finally did cough, and spewed up pretty much everything. My first thought was "look, he pulled a Maggie." Then I thought, oh, I hope that Maggie/her mommy wouldn't be offended that I thought that.

heck no we are not offended. We call it the exorcism. We keep on telling Maggie we are going to get her work in the movies. Just think of all the money they would save on the special effects.
I hope Sam is feeling better.

Heidi
Old 10-20-2007, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, remember my older kids are a million years old and I was pregnant with my first when I was 19 and way before the internet. All my prenatal care was done through the Naval hospital. Even during that time I researched everything. I read everything I could on circumcisions but I only had access to the small town library, the base library and the base hospital medical library. I have an excellent memory and I remember not reading anything saying you should not do it. I know now that I was very limited on my material but geez...we had a conversation with our OB about it before ds was born and read more studies about the risk of cervical cancer in woman who have partners who have in tack partners etc. My dh had not been circumcised and the ob even went as far as saying he needed to be. Anyway, my oldest was circumcised. Unfortunately, they botched the job. For years and years and years he would have horrible infections in his penis. So 19 months later we are going to have son number 2. I knew I did not want him circumcised. I still had not found anything to support my point of view, dang hippie I was. After I gave birth in a base hospital that had 4 maternity beds and had been condemned for 30 years, they took James from us for about 4 hours. They kept on saying that he was cold and we could not see him or have him until he got warm. We got him back, he was circumcised. We never ever gave the okay. It was considered a minor slip up no big deal by the Navy. Okay fast forward 6 years, and I am pregnant with son number 3. Where we moved to circumcision around this area is not as common as else where and most doctors will not even do it. I had a horrible birth and was knocked out and when I woke dh told me the same lame story again about our son being cold and that is why he was not with us. I was furious. I thought for sure they were circumcising him. Well he actually was on a ventilator and little man was trying to die on us but that is another story. So for 10 long days we could no hold him or even touch him because he was in such a precarious state. All I could do is sit by him. Well the hospital had every back issues of Mothering so I read to Levi out loud all the back issues while we waited for him to get better and that is how I found Mothering and then eventually this community. Boy you guys did not think you would get a novel huh?

Heidi
Old 10-20-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
he grew up in a boys' home from age 7-14 in some ways, he's the most compassionate gentle soul i've ever met, but in others, he just doesn't have enough faith in human nature to feel like gentle/AP methods "work". he feels like i think too much and "feel" too little--he refuses to read research i show him, b/c he thinks i just believe whatever makes the most compelling case and don't use my intuition/emotion at all. Or if i do, that they aren't to be trusted b/c of the manipulative/crazy way *I* was raised. bla bla bla...anyway...you did ask
My husband was also raised in a children's home for 4 years. Well first his uncle was a foster parent but his family abused the boys so they were moved to a Children's home. John believes that any study can be manipulated so it does not good to show him any research so I just use my favorite phrase on him, "Hows that working for ya" which by the way I have been saying to John for almost 18 years well before Dr. Phil made is famous.

Heidi
Old 10-20-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
HUGS I hope it works for you.

Heidi
Old 10-20-2007, 01:24 PM

Glad to hear Maggie is feeling better! whooohoooooo!
:

Sending the Mamas struggling w/ PPD lots of love- thanks for sharing with us and taking care of your dear selves! PPD is serious stuff. The few days of hormonal hell I had before my first pp af gave me a glimpse into how it must feel to suffer PPD. It was really awful! I felt like a black storm cloud. Anyhoo... just want ya'll to know I am sending love and support.

And Kystal I just love your posts!

Grace Comes.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:08 PM

I didn't read all of the posts...how is everyone's hair these days??

Mine has kind of slowed down falling out, but now I have all these little new growths all over the place. Like all around my forehead I am growing a set of bangs!!! Well at least it's growing back !

caffix.gif

Old 10-20-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post
I didn't read all of the posts...how is everyone's hair these days??

Mine has kind of slowed down falling out, but now I have all these little new growths all over the place. Like all around my forehead I am growing a set of bangs!!! Well at least it's growing back !
I thought I was exempt from the hairloss ya'll were talking about until about 3 weeks ago.. now its all over the place!

Old 10-20-2007, 07:57 PM

I found out about MDC through my DH's coworker, and googling "natural parenting forum"

DH is supportive of most of my ideas/beliefs about parenting. He knows I do my research.

My hair is finally starting to slow down...

Here's a pic of 2 May DDC cousins --Sebastian and Kade
Old 10-20-2007, 10:28 PM

yea, my hair started to fall out a bit too--not TONS like when I was pg, but more than it has been

Okay, so Claire has been sitting up unassisted for nearly a month now..she can't be the only one right? She rolls both ways, eats her toes, crawls backwards, gets on all fours and rocks, and can stay sitting for like 30 min at a time if I put her down that way.

I am already mourning the loss of her babyhood, LOL! She'll be 5 months soon, and OMG, that's nearly half of her first year down! There are so many things I've already missed out on like I wanted a hammock for her, I still don't have a wrap and I know those are most useful when the babe's tiny, etc tec....

okay dh is stealing hte comp form me--i'll write more later

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 10-20-2007, 10:59 PM

Clay will be 5 months tomorrow and I can't believe how bug he is getting (age wise, he is huge sizewise also and already outweighs his 2.5 year old cousin!).

He can also sit unassisted (but falls sometimes) and can roll well and tries to move but being a 22ish pound baby makes moving a bit hard

He was digging on pumpkins and squashes today (not eating them, just checking them out and feeling them).

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the hugs everyone.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 10-21-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
Clay will be 5 months tomorrow and I can't believe how bug he is getting (age wise, he is huge sizewise also and already outweighs his 2.5 year old cousin!).

He can also sit unassisted (but falls sometimes) and can roll well and tries to move but being a 22ish pound baby makes moving a bit hard

He was digging on pumpkins and squashes today (not eating them, just checking them out and feeling them).
Tomorrow is Sam's 5mo anniversary too : also my oldest younger brother's birthday (I just remembered).

He can sit for a bit if I put him up just right - I hadn't really tried until this week, so he doesn't have much practice. He CAN roll really well in both directions, but lately won't - he just rolls to his tummy, gets peeved, and fusses. He's been a crabbypants for the last couple of days - I think part teeth and part being sick. He's a drool monkey too. He still does really well at spinning circles on the floor and does some backwards scooting. He's not super big at 15-1/4 pounds (up 1-1/2 pounds since his 4mo WBV), but is pretty long and pushing out of his 3-6 and getting close in some of his 6-9 at 27 inches. Also, he pretty much has given up the binky - doesn't like it anymore most of the time.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post

Okay, so Claire has been sitting up unassisted for nearly a month now..she can't be the only one right? She rolls both ways, eats her toes, crawls backwards, gets on all fours and rocks, and can stay sitting for like 30 min at a time if I put her down that way.
Sebastian has been sitting up too. Also rolls both ways, eats his toes but no crawling or rocking. He has scooting a little across the floor.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:19 AM

Anyone else have a kid in clothing sizes like 18 months and 24 months (on top)? Do I have the biggest May baby?

Old 10-21-2007, 12:31 AM

FINALLY I have time to post. I'm going to be a bit random in an effort to be quick and cover everything I wanted to comment on.

Welcome to all the new May Mamas.

PPD. I've struggled a bit with PPD off and on this time around. It's nothing like it was after I had my son, thankfully. I just try to eat healthy and know when I need a break.

Panic attacks. It's weird, but about the only time I ever have one is after dh and I make love. And even then it's only when I've been ultra stressed beforehand. I guess it sorta feels like all of the emotions I was trying to keep at bay come out at once. Jason is really understanding about it though.

Livy can sit and roll over now, but she only rolls over when she wants to get to her milkies and she only sits when her tummy isn't too full. Needless to say she does more rolling than sitting. The longer her hair gets, the taller her hair gets. Hubby and I were discussing how much she reminds us of Marge Simpson in that way.

We survived yet another road trip. Twelve hours one way this time. People need to stop dying and getting married or we're going to go broke from all of the travel expenses. It was nice to see where my hubby grew up though.

Nursing necklaces. I either need to get one or clip Alivia's fingernails. I'm starting to look like I nursed an angry kitten.

Swap. I'm looking forward to the swap. I hope I'm not too late.

I found MDC while researching home birth. When I was seventeen I decided that becoming a midwife would suit me well because I liked biology and had small hands. So I attended a home birth with a traditional midwife and never followed through with the idea (I had lots of growing up to do). Three years later I was about to give birth to my own child and decided to have a home birth. That's when I found MDC and realized how much I had left to learn.

My husband is the AP person in our family. His mother raised him and his siblings without a single spanking ever. I was raised in a "spare the rod spoil the child" environment but I don't consider myself to be abused. Not at all. Still, it's been challenging for me to learn positive ways to discipline. That's a big part of why I'm still here. Despite being very AP my husband is not really very "crunchy". I'm converting him though. He calls all of you my hippie friends and I'm a closet hippie. :

Teething. Does anyone else's baby get really cranky from teething pain? Alivia yells and blows raspberries and gnaws on everything including my nipples if I'm not careful. It's gotta be teething pain, right?

Speaking of cranky, I better get her back to bed.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:31 AM

A is about 16-17 pounds, quite the mover..... makes it across the floor of a room in a few minutes. Sits unassisted, rolls around, soldier crawls, sort of inches backwards, and has a tendency to thrust herself from people holding her like a skier catching air off a mountain. She laughs a lot, smiles at everyone, and spent an entire 20 minute car ride today having a fascinating conversation with herself!

"I'm starting to look like I nursed an angry kitten."
that's the perfect description of the look I've been sporting from A's nursing frenzies!
:

Grace Comes.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:45 AM

DS is over 5.5 months, can't roll from tummy to back and isn't near sitting unassisted. He doesn't even push up with his arms while on his tummy. He gets frustrated, esp because he can only roll the one way. Is there something I should be doing or should I totally let him laze his way around (or laze his way nowhere, as the case may be)?

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

Old 10-21-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyTeesa View Post
DS is over 5.5 months, can't roll from tummy to back and isn't near sitting unassisted. He doesn't even push up with his arms while on his tummy. He gets frustrated, esp because he can only roll the one way. Is there something I should be doing or should I totally let him laze his way around (or laze his way nowhere, as the case may be)?
Ashlyn is the same way I thought she was the only one not rolling or sitting up. She is so close to rolling from back to tummy but just doesn't. My kids seem to take there time with things : Ds was always on the slow side of 'normal range' and Ashlyn seems to be the same. Fine by me the less shes mobile the better right now.

I would consider myself a semi-crunchy mama... I would like to be more but its a learning process. Dh is usually on board with me but will put his foot down for some things. I was super surprised that he agreed we should wait to vax Ash... usually hes all for what the doc thinks is best (even tho we love our ped and hes never pushy). He did want ds circ'd and I admit that he is : Don't really want to do that again so I'm hoping for another girl next time. I'm a babywearing/extended breastfeeding/co-sleeping/gentle parenting with some timeouts mama... and maybe a closet hippie at heart : so there it is

Dh is gone for another 7 days after only being home 2 nights in a row : : Feeling so lonely and about to go crazy from not getting a break from the kids. I miss him... ds misses him and has been crying for him to come home. Feeling like his school is never going to end!!! I know pitty party for me but this is the most strain our marriage has ever had and it is soooo hard to be alone all the time. I miss my partner and my friend. it just sucks

Here are some pictures

Dh and Ds they had to get the same shoes... yep just like daddy
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...lenewshoes.jpg

Ashlyn in the morning
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...h45Months2.jpg

Ash in my lap right now 5 Months
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...lyn5Months.jpg

Mommy to Two
Old 10-21-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemommaof1 View Post

Dh is gone for another 7 days after only being home 2 nights in a row : : Feeling so lonely and about to go crazy from not getting a break from the kids. I miss him... ds misses him and has been crying for him to come home. Feeling like his school is never going to end!!! I know pitty party for me but this is the most strain our marriage has ever had and it is soooo hard to be alone all the time. I miss my partner and my friend. it just sucks
Sorry Mama .. I am right there with you.. you are in Nevada aren't ya? Utah isn't that far away

Old 10-21-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Sorry Mama .. I am right there with you.. you are in Nevada aren't ya? Utah isn't that far away
Don't tempt me... I'll leave right now for real human contact
How are you holding up?

Mommy to Two

User Tag List