MAY 2007 It is October already - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 680 Old 10-30-2007, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasaurus View Post
for real? your babies are saying words? mine is so not even close to forming a word...
Yes, Sebastian has been saying words too. He says mama and dada.. he says it and he means it when he is getting frustrated, or he says "mama" when I walk out of the room and he doesn't see me anymore. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
So I gave Mickey food for real.

In the last three days (since all that biting talk) he started to chew on my nipples when he's done nursing. Not too hard & he's got no teeth so it didn't hurt. He also has been *grabbing* at food I've been eating and bringing it to his mouth. I know neither of these behaviors are that special for a baby, though DS1 never did them (well he did bite with no teeth but it was totally different). I just had this feeling that he wanted/was ready to eat something.

I busted out our little food mill (this one, if you're interested) & put half a very ripe banana in there. He eagerly ate the whole half and a little more. He was opening his mouth and grabbing the spoon. He never pushed the food out of his mouth. He looked like other babies who are used to being spoonfed. Seamus wasn't like that until well after 9 months! (I know, no use in comparing, right?)
What you described is exactly what Sebastian was doing at 4 1/2 months! I thought it was early, but we went with it anyway.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#662 of 680 Old 10-30-2007, 12:34 PM

Ay-yi-yi! Our i-net didn't work over the weekend, and I've got some major reading to do. Yay for nakking!

Solids: I've given Elisabeth tastes of banana, pear, apple, applesauce, mooshed up some peas, let her suck on a cube of pineapple. I gave her a it of plain baked tater last night. She liked it, I think. My ILs and aunt keep asking when we're starting cereal.

Mon am: Her second tooth is visible just under the skin/gum. Tues am: I can feel it now.

I know of a couple ladies who give juice for constipation, one apple, one pear.

Carriers: I'm going to make, well, have my MIL (she's great ) help me make a brocade sling. I've been wanting one badly. I'm borrowing an OtSBH from an AP group, and I need to send it back.

EC: Elisabeth has started crying, wriggling before she goes in her diaper, so we've been catching more more pees! I'm really excited because it's been 4 months!

"I have this major perfection thing, where if i can't do stuff perfectly, i throw up my hands and go "why bother?" it is very defeating and unproductive." :--Krystal

I am exactly the same way! : I hate it.

TTC: I would like #2 when E is about two. I loved having her in the springtime, not having to deal with the cold and cold season and a tiny baby. To me, three years is too long.

Spacing: I was 28 mos older than my bro, we fought, but we were really close, he was my best friend until I started dating at 17. I was homeschooled until 11th grade, the private Christian school a year, then community college classes that were credited for both for a year. So I had a semester's worth of credits that transferred, pretty cool. I know several profs' kids at my college who took the whole 4 years of high school at college and had a degree when they graduated from HS. Makes sense to me! School loans are awful. I agree on the teaching to the testing. I'm an Elementary Education grad, one year teaching at a private school.

I started 1st grade PS to learn computers, half days, and went to second grade, but had an older kid on the school bus ask me to have sex. My mom wasn't happy with that and other things.

Nursing tops: I think I'm too small for the cami top idea, I feel like it cuts into the underside of my boob when it's pulled out. I just pull up whatever shirt and bra I have on. Nursing bras are more flexible, have quit messing with unhooking them to nurse. Or a sweatshirt and no bra. I'm B/C.

Sex: AF since 6 week PP! I've always had a high drive until E was about 4 mos and since then I kinda don't care. I want to, but I'm not after DH all the time like I was before, and I feel like there's something wrong with me, 'cause, yeah, 2x a week is pitiful for me. I guess we're okay, meeting in the middle, but I was still in high gear fairly soon after E was born, I only had 'skid marks,' no tearing, so I was ready at 3 weeks PP. I haven't had PPD as far as I can tell, a few days I'm down, usually after I'm ready for action, and DH is too tired, whatever. . . I hate feeling rejected. I guess I do the passive-aggressive feel-sorry-for-myself thing.

Oh yeah, condoms here, I just never wanted to mess up the way my hormones should be.

"I didn't tell my hubby the condoms were from my mom. I figured it would kill the mood."

ITA!

ED: I am so tired of avoiding wheat. I still feel hungry when I eat, generally. And I know I'm eating healthy stuff. I worry about getting enough to make enough milk for Elisabeth. I would love the rice flour pizza dough and cookie recipes. Please post them!!!

Which reminds me, how does playing "Gumby nipple" up your supply?

Dawn, Sam is so cute! And Salt and Pepper, that's too fun, they match, but aren't exactly alike. . . I always feel bad when I can't tell twins apart, and it doesn't help when they're dressed alike.

E's been saying dada since Sunday, she gets excited just b/c we are,

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#663 of 680 Old 10-30-2007, 12:38 PM

Kade has started giving kisses! If I ask him for "mama kisses" he grabs my hair and puts his open mouth on my cheek. SO cute!

He says mama every once in a while, and he's said dada a few times, but that's it.
#664 of 680 Old 10-30-2007, 12:52 PM

Hey hey hey, I'm here! Yes a day late and a dollar short as usual but there is still 1.5 days left in October. I have some reading to do!

No teeth here, but she is gumming my nipples like they are chew toys and it is driving me nuts! Avery says Mama and I think I heard her say Dad once. Her babbling is so sweet!

She wants to be mobile soooo bad. She scoots around the floor on her butt, and hardly ever tips over. She tries to climb anything suitable nearby. Dh and I were watching her on Saturday and she actually pulled herself up to STANDING with her little Fisher-Price piano . Zoe didn't start doing that until she 8 months old and here Avery is not even 6 yet! It seems as though she is just pissed off about crawling. She can go backwards on her belly, but mostly she just does the airplane thing and then gets frustrated. I wonder if she will just skip it since she is trying to climb and stand to get around as it is.

Pic!

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...fujipix531.jpg

I posted this one in the chubby baby thread too. She is such a chunky monkey!

Oh, and we just started using wool soakers this week, and I them! I also just had some regular Premium Indian prefolds come in because her but stopped fitting into her old diapers last month. We used 'sposies for a while and I despise them. Everytime she pooped I had to change her clothes, she doesn't have that many and I couldn't keep up with the wash from all the pooplosions. I am so happy to have prefolds that fit her now!

Ok, off to do some reading before we are on the November thread. Haha, I just had a sneezing fit and she just gave me the funniest look!
#665 of 680 Old 10-30-2007, 01:10 PM

P.S. I got a Baby Trekker, and it is so comfy, and I can do stuff around the house and don't feel like I am dumpinghe out like I did with the sling.

Didn't someone on here crochet/knit wool liners for cloth diapers? If so, I want the pattern, of course, I could figure out how wide to crochet and use a single stitch, I guess. Hmmm, now what kind of yarn?

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#666 of 680 Old 10-30-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Okay I got to play catch up. I got swamped with work stuff. I will go back and read what I missed.

Well Miss Maggie has finally made her daddy a happy man and is finally saying dadda. John was feeling very much left out when not only was Maggie calling Levi and Liam by name but added this week brother. John came home from work on Saturday and Maggie greeted him with HI DADDA. John was on the moon. She also discovered a great game to play in the van. She will say HI MOM and I will go HI Maggie which makes her giggle then she goes Hi LE (which she calls her two younger brothers) and they will say HI Maggie which will make her giggle. Anyway she does this around and around for about 15 minutes and she thinks she is hilarious.

Heidi
#667 of 680 Old 10-30-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
Sam's Halloween Costume

His daddy brought back the outfit from Ireland. It was supposed to be his coming home from the hospital outfit, but it is still a bit big on him now. In Daddy's defense, it IS labeled newborn. Guess they grow them bigger in Ireland . DD1 and I made the hat.

ETA:
We went to a Halloween party tonight at church and at least 3-4 people asked me if Sam wanted some candy. :
It is so cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
: ...everywhere i look i keep seeing Eat to Live referenced! IO know this is a big huge sign that i need to quit making excuses and try my best to DO THIS!!
What has help me is I started reading food labels. I had to because of the gluten but oh my gosh I am grossed out by most things they put in the food. I can eat it fine as long as I do not know what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
I wasn't expecting all these hugs. They feel good thanks I really don't think I'm doing much better than average American. I know I've got high parenting standards. I don't think it's a bad thing to have high standards. . .but it does make me feel badly.
Now with what you guys are saying about having them closer than two years or more than five makes sense. I can't have them closer than two so I guess I'm stuck with more than five
So I guess we all need to figure out what do you do if you do have your kids older then 2 younger then 5 years a part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
Dh got the keys tonight for his new studio. He rented a 400 sq foot studio space on the next block for his piano and all his computer/electronic/music madness This means that our apartment has suddenly gotten a lot bigger and I get to rearrange everything. I have been a bit stresse dot by the extra expense - having the baby and taking time off already set us back so we have some debt - but dh is really excited about this and wanted to go ahead with it so I am supportive. And, the bonus is getting a whole extra room in our house now!

I am tired and doing a lot of work for my WAH job right now. I have a pile of cases to type and documents to review and people to call for intervies and such. Urg. It is after midnight here now and I just can't read anymore psycholigical examination records.
That is really awesome that you have more space. How expensive is it for 400 square feet in NY?

Do you work only when the kids are in bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabrynn82 View Post
nak

started making halloween costumes... just need a few tweaks! they're going to be salt and pepper!

TOO CUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post

Henry is repeating the word "dad" and saying "hi dad" a lot the last two days. Tonight he looked right at my husband, put up his palm and said "hi dad!" It was too funny. I don't think he knows what he's saying, but it's fun anyway. Most of the time he babbles - it's quite amusing because he moves his chin up and down kind of fast while making random noises kind of like someone pretending to "blab" like when you are making fun of someone because they talk too much.
Dada is the last name Maggie learned. It was funny. My husband thought there was something wrong with Maggie because she had not said it yet. She has been talking since August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasaurus View Post
for real? your babies are saying words? mine is so not even close to forming a word...

Maggie started speaking in August. Liam says she is up to 15 words. We were counting this morning. My oldest did not talk until 4 1/2 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
Gus has been saying "ma" when he's wanting milk, but personally I think it's just coincidental babbling and nothing to get excited about -- because my first baby said "bye bye" at age 9 months and then never said another word until he was practically 2.
Last week Liam was trying to convince me Maggie could say my brother. She says both of their names but BR sound is hard sound to make. So I was explaining to Liam that it probably just sounded like MY BROTHER when Maggie pipes up with MY BROTHER when she caught Liam in her line of vision. She has been saying it ever since. It was funny because MY BROTHER was the straw that broke the camels back since Maggie had not said dada yet but she calls me either mom or mama.

Heidi
#668 of 680 Old 10-30-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
That is really awesome that you have more space. How expensive is it for 400 square feet in NY?

Do you work only when the kids are in bed?
The space was a steal at only $600 for 400 sq feet That is several hundred below market value for my neighborhood. And I work primarily when they are in bed but some days, like today, my dh is home in the morning so I got 4-5 hours of work time before breaking for lunch and getting ready for the NYU children's choir practice, which I need to leave for now!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#669 of 680 Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 PM

TTC- No thank you. I am leaning closer to 5yrs apart than 2. Since we only want two total I'm not really in any hurry and I would actually like to wait for J to wean first and then wait another 3-6mo before TTC. Although if he's older than four or five and hasn't weaned yet and I have AF I'd probably go ahead and start TTC anyway.

nursing in carriers
: I can nurse J in the wrap in a FCC now that he is older. He sits upright and I make the seat part loose so that he is hanging low. THen I can pull my boob up to him. But they are very huge- 38G. I can nurse him in the car with my seatbelt on.

nursing clothes- I have a bunch of nursing tanks and in the beginning they were useful for keeping my stomach covered. But at this point he can latch himself on so I don't have to pull my shirt up as high and hold onto my boob the whole time. So now I just use a nursing bra and any shirt I want.

moving: We are moving forward like a seal at this point. He is fast. I caught him pulling books off the bottom shelf a few days ago. And on carpet he can get up on his knees pretty well, he just doesn't coordinate the step where he needs to move his arms forward.

plan on hs'ing I am planning to homeschool unless we get to some point where J really wants to go to PS. But that would be years off anyway.

solids- still just paper here too. We are planning to start making food available for self-feeding in a couple of weeks. I had hoped to start with avocado, but we can't get good ones here this time of year. So we're looking at winter squash, sweet potato, pear, etc. But since I don't plan on doing meals for him, just giving him a chunk if he sees DH and I eating it then it will depend on what we are having for dinner.

Has AF returned and do you consider your drive to be high or low?
No. Low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
Sooo cute!
#670 of 680 Old 10-30-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
The space was a steal at only $600 for 400 sq feet That is several hundred below market value for my neighborhood. And I work primarily when they are in bed but some days, like today, my dh is home in the morning so I got 4-5 hours of work time before breaking for lunch and getting ready for the NYU children's choir practice, which I need to leave for now!

Wow that is a steal in most cities. Cool that you got it so cheap.

I am still trying to figure out working from home, home schooling and Maggie. I am not a night person at all yet my darling daughter refuses to stay asleep so I can work in the wee hours of the morning. I am not sure what I am going to do because I get nothing done with her trying to help. Oh maybe I should work when I have the opportunity too like right now. Dh gets up at 3 am so he comes home about 3 pm and Maggie and him take a nap together so I can work.

Oh my packages went out today. It should be there in two days.

Heidi
#671 of 680 Old 10-30-2007, 09:43 PM

Wow. I've been away on vacation and mostly without internet for the last week and a half and I'm having a hard time keeping up. We ARE a chatty bunch! It's nice though, I like hearing about everyone else's babies.

We took the plane out to visit my parents and Kayleigh did fabulously. She looked a little freaked out and like she might puke even when we took off the first time (three legs in each direction) but watched the guy sitting next to us very intently and he smiled at her and chatted with her and she relaxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
and am i the only one with AF and no sex drive? i disprove the theory, i suppose.
No no, it's not just you. We're better than twice a month, but I don't CRAVE sex like I used to... when I was young and fickle. I think my biggest problem is weight and self-image. At any rate, we try to average 2-4 times a week but I could get by with once a week. I feel bad "depriving" DH though.

Teeth: OH MY GOD she is teething SO hard the last few days, the top right front tooth is coming in and it is NOT as easy as the first two bottom ones. She's been screaming in pain despite Orajel and Tylenol. : I feel SO badly for her.

Talking: so far she only says "mama" and sometimes "hi". She doesn't even attempt to make any other sounds really. I'm sure it'll come with time.

WAHM: Is there any interest in starting a May07 thread in the WAHM forum? I know that there are quite a few of us and we could put a link to it in the beginning of our monthly threads here and it might cut back a little bit of the traffic here and keep the WAH disussions a little more focussed. Just throwing it out there, let me know if anyone agrees/disagrees.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#672 of 680 Old 10-30-2007, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Wow. I've been away on vacation and mostly without internet for the last week and a half and I'm having a hard time keeping up. We ARE a chatty bunch! It's nice though, I like hearing about everyone else's babies.

We took the plane out to visit my parents and Kayleigh did fabulously. She looked a little freaked out and like she might puke even when we took off the first time (three legs in each direction) but watched the guy sitting next to us very intently and he smiled at her and chatted with her and she relaxed.

No no, it's not just you. We're better than twice a month, but I don't CRAVE sex like I used to... when I was young and fickle. I think my biggest problem is weight and self-image. At any rate, we try to average 2-4 times a week but I could get by with once a week. I feel bad "depriving" DH though.

Teeth: OH MY GOD she is teething SO hard the last few days, the top right front tooth is coming in and it is NOT as easy as the first two bottom ones. She's been screaming in pain despite Orajel and Tylenol. : I feel SO badly for her.

Talking: so far she only says "mama" and sometimes "hi". She doesn't even attempt to make any other sounds really. I'm sure it'll come with time.

WAHM: Is there any interest in starting a May07 thread in the WAHM forum? I know that there are quite a few of us and we could put a link to it in the beginning of our monthly threads here and it might cut back a little bit of the traffic here and keep the WAH disussions a little more focussed. Just throwing it out there, let me know if anyone agrees/disagrees.
Sounds like you had a great trip.
Wow she has 3 teeth already.

So what are you saying about the WAHM forum? You want me to venture out else where on MDC? Sure I am all for it.

Heidi
#673 of 680 Old 10-31-2007, 01:52 AM

Wow, synchro (I should probably know your name but I am forgetting it right now, sorry), sounds like Mickey is ready. I suppose you will know by now if he isn't.
I think I am locked into waiting a full 6 mos for Kiran, as I have lectured mil about that and told her on more than one occasion that the MD insisted that while 4-6 mos used to be considered okay, now AAP is saying just to wait until 6. Not that I care, but she keeps wanting to give Kiran food because she doesn't have anything non-food handy for K to chew on. eg at a restaurant I took a napkin out of Kiran's hand, mil says, why not give her this biscuit (buttermilk, and we are dairy free, incidentally), so if she gets some in her mouth it will be better than paper. Another time it was an apple. "Well, she'll just gum it, she won't get anything." (can you say CHOKING HAZARD????) MIL is driving me nuts lately, this is just a drop in the bucket!

She sure does want to be like us at the table, though.
#674 of 680 Old 10-31-2007, 04:23 AM

Oh right, food.... I meant to say, we're doing really well here. She'll be 6 months on Monday. In the last few days she's had potato (french fries , cucumber (tonight, she LoVED it! I cut her a huge chunk and she chewed on it for a good long time), more avocado and banana... and probably a few other things. I don't think she's really EATING anything, or very little at least, but she sure is enjoying exploring the tastes and textures. She did manage to get a chunk of cooked carrot down the other day and it came back out whole through the other end. Poor kiddo. Didn't seem to bother her though.

Last night DH and I went away and went out to eat at a nice restaurant. We took DD along with us and she napped on the seat beside me for a while, then got up and tried to pry my fork out of my hand and use it, repeatedly. She was sort of happy with a spoon for a while. Then DH gave her a chicken bone (from the "upper arm" part of the wing) with all the meat and cartiledge and stuff carefully picked off and she happily chewed on that for the rest of the meal. Ah, my little cannibal.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#675 of 680 Old 10-31-2007, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
She was sort of happy with a spoon for a while. Then DH gave her a chicken bone (from the "upper arm" part of the wing) with all the meat and cartiledge and stuff carefully picked off and she happily chewed on that for the rest of the meal. Ah, my little cannibal.
Oh that is funny.

Last night I was trying to work and dh was feeding Maggie. All I heard is MOM! mmm MOM! mmm. Her mmm is for good. You ask her if something is good and she says mmm. Of course dh and I had to talk about you cannot just feed Maggie her all time favorite foods which he does because she gives such a positive response to it.

Heidi
#676 of 680 Old 10-31-2007, 10:47 AM

Akasha has little razor-like teethies on her bottom gums! Just like a little fish!

and no food here yet.... but she is almost head diving into our plates when we eat...

Grace Comes.

#677 of 680 Old 10-31-2007, 12:13 PM

I'm sick and sleep deprived, but I just wanted to say, I haven't gotten to purchasing anything for the swap yet. I have some good ideas though.

And I'm all for a WAHM thread.
#678 of 680 Old 10-31-2007, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkimo View Post
I'm sick and sleep deprived, but I just wanted to say, I haven't gotten to purchasing anything for the swap yet. I have some good ideas though.

And I'm all for a WAHM thread.
feel better soon

Heidi
#679 of 680 Old 11-01-2007, 09:51 AM

How was everyone's Halloween?

We went to DH's office and trick or treated around all the offices in the building, and then did a bunch of family stuff. It was pretty fun. Kade was really good. He is back to sleeping really good again...7 hrs last night. I keep wondering when his teeth are going to come through.
#680 of 680 Old 11-01-2007, 10:49 AM

The new November thread!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...66#post9599866

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page