MAY 2007 It is October already - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 680 Old 10-11-2007, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
so get this. for the last two days we were psyched, cause dh was getting a new job--better hours, nearly triple the pay, omg we were so excited for him! he was hired, did all the paperwork, they told him that they needed him asap. so he couldn't offer 2 week notice to his current job, and he was upset about that, but three times the pay, hey ya can't pass up something like that right? so he told his job he quit yesterday. and then today, after they get all his paperwork in and say ok you start monday, they say "oh wait, you're not 21? well sorry, but we don't hire under-21s" it's lucky dh is such a desirable employee, or he would be sooo unemployed right now as it is, this might actually turn around and get him a promotion, as incentive to keep him w/his old company! but omg we are still reeling from the shock and the letdown. how could they not have asked how old he was before telling him he was *hired* and to *quit his job w/no notice*?!? well, anyway....just wanted to get that off my chest. :
geesh! Hope everything works out for the positive- keep us posted!

Grace Comes.

#182 of 680 Old 10-11-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
Flexibility is key.

For example, we CSA and buy local and organic, but at the same time, I think a big ole cookie offered with love from the old lady behind the bakery case at the store is healing food too, kwim?
I really agree with this!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#183 of 680 Old 10-11-2007, 04:56 PM

I am really enjoying this board.

Elisabeth's first tooth came in a week ago, I think. Don't I know? Well, she's sooo easygoing, that no, she didn't fuss, she just had 4 poopy diapers in a row last Thursday, so I'm guessing that might have been the worst day? I felt it Saturday, was swabbing her mouth daily all last week w/GSE for thrush.

She's been rolling tummy to back since last week of August. Tummy to back occasionally. She scoots sometimes, mostly spins in circles! Between that and rolling, she almost blocked me out of the bathroom when I left her on the rug to get towels before our bath!

What aspects of AP/NFL do find easiest to adopt, or work well for your family?

What aspects of AP/NFL do you find more challenging, or don't work well for your family?

Easiest:
Breastfeeding and NIPing-- I love NIPing.
Co-sleeping
Reducing--yay, less garbage since I started CDing!
Cloth diapering
No-circ--we had a girl, but wouldn't have if we had a boy. I watched a vid in someone's sig, very educational, yikes!!!
Babywearing--love it when we go out, sling her unless she's sleeping in carseat, then throw sling in for when she wakes up. For chores, what chores, oh you mean the stacks of dishes on the counter?
TV: occasional movies for us, but nothing for her, altho' I love VeggieTales.

What we're working on:
Extended nursing-- thinks I should wean around 1 1/2. I'm not sure about CLW, but want to go to 2 and her okay w/weaning. I want to tandem-nurse, we're talking about TTC when she's a year, but I am a little scared of pg drying me up.
Playful parenting--learning about this and GD.
EC--It worked great for the first month when she was 1 mo. Still catching some--when I feel like it!
Eating well is challenging but I'm on an ED w/thrush, soooo. . .
Natural childbirth--I loved my non-medicated birth, now if I can convince that homebirth is safer. . .
No-vaxing-- is okay w/not until she's 2, by then hopefully not at all or very limited.

Not there yet:
Recycling/sorting all household trash
All organic foods
Homeschooling, pretty good schools here, but I was HS.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#184 of 680 Old 10-11-2007, 07:01 PM

I got caught up!

ach, and can't 'member all I wanted to say. . .

Krystal323, I love your siggy!

emiLy, I read some of your blog, I used to live in Aurora, and I've got friends that live in Babbitt!

Re: Babylegs--I totally love the idea, but no way am I sheling out even $ for a pair. I discovered that toddler knee-high sox work perfectly. I got some super cute ones at the local dollar store. I know, I sound cheap--I am! if you use babylegs, how do you keep their feet warm? Elisabeth wiggles so much, it's hard dressing her--altho' she sits still when I comb her hair, so this week I put pigtails in! Yes, she's got a lot of hair.

MSAX, I had plugged ducts, not mastitis, w/the fever and chills and weak, a month ago, it's nasty.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#185 of 680 Old 10-11-2007, 07:42 PM

The better question is if you use baby legs how the heck do you get them to stay UP!? With a baby whose legs are shaped like this \/ they simply slide down to her ankles... then they are really cute, but they don't keep her legs warm! (Oh, and the socks help to keep the babylegs on.)

p.s. laura, they're in the mail, hope they work for you.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#186 of 680 Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:

i voted! she really IS adorable...

yeah, the babylegs are so cute but now that it's really cold here (overnight!?) i have to put pants on the little guy. i envisioned him crawling around with a long-sleeved tee & a cozy CD with wool cover & his cute little 'legs. oh well...

my back went "out" today. i leaned over to put ez in the carseat & *ouch*!! i can walk but not straight up which makes it super difficult to carry a 20# baby around all day. i had him ruck-sacked on my back for quite a few hours & i had to bend over ever-so slightly. i'm heading up to take a warm bath in a few minutes. both my girls skipped their naps today so it was early bedtime for them. (yippee ). dh took ezra for a drive because he would NOT go to sleep! he napped a total of about an hour today & he is waaayyyy overtired. i hope he goes to sleep peacefully in the car because he was doing a lot of crying around here. nope....i hear them coming & the babe is screaming. gotta go....

stephanie asl.gif

#187 of 680 Old 10-11-2007, 10:32 PM

Thanks for all your responses to the questions! I love hearing what other mamas are up to and why. For right now we love:

BF-ing, CD-ing, co-sleeping for now (DD also has a floor bed in her nursery), non-vaxing, homeopathy, eating organic as much as possible, GD, baby-wearing (though I have a hard time getting things done around the house when baby-wearing), and not engaging in conspicuous consumption.

Not for us:
Consensual living and homeschooling probably top the list (though I would HS if necessary). CWL is definitely NOT in the plans, though I'd like to nurse for at least two years. I know a woman who is still nursing her 8 year old on occasion and I do not see that in my future !

Thanks for all the tips on gettging rid of fleas! I'll be picking up some Frontline Plus tomorrow, though I really hate to use it. Once the fleas are gone, I'll be looking into less toxic ways to keep them away. We have mostly hardwood floors, but I'm going to try borax in the cracks and crevices and see if that works.

Quote:
Done!

Quote:
AP that doesn't work for us:
-Really anything done fanatically (including everything from the first list)... I am just not into a polarized position on anything. Flexibility is key.
I also agree with this! I'm not a purist about things, even those practices we choose to adopt. Flexibility IS important - a lesson for us and for DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
... or maybe that's just cuz my back is sore from that dumb b---- that ran into us last week.
. Not about your back, but about you know who ,

treehugger.gif
#188 of 680 Old 10-11-2007, 10:47 PM

Things we are doing:

BF'ing (though it was tough the 1st month, now it is 2nd nature)
Eating Healthy
Baby Wearing
CD'ing
Non-vaxing
Natural childbirth

Not at all doing:

Co-sleeping
EC'ing

Since our LO is only almost 5 months, we haven't dealt with many other issues...yet...

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#189 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 12:23 AM

I would also like to ad the no-circing, homeopathy and natural childbirth on my list of working for us (though I ended up in the hossy he was still natural).

CWL I am unsure of.. if he weans at 2 and not 6 I am all about it, but I dont know how far I will take it. I am also not comfortable with tandem nursing at this point, but who knows.

I've tried ECing twice he just doesn't really have signals! And he likes to poo and BF at the same time! I am so not hanging my boob over the toliet so he can poo!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#190 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 12:29 AM

WOW!! I finally finished and now have time to post. I usually just get to read and thats all.

For those dealing w/ PPD I was hit HARD with it (which is one of the biggest reasons I wasn't around for a long while). I'm keeping in under control w/ taking a combo of EPA and DHA and also St Johns Wort. It is working and I'm feeling a lot better. I'm also MAKING myself get out each day. So if you are struggling you may want to give it a try.

Krystal- I voted! Claire is very very cute! How many times can we vote? If we can vote each day then I will just let me know.

What we do:

BF and CLW. I know its not for everyone but it worked before so we are going to try again.
Co-sleeping. We've always done this since our 1st DD (even when we didn't know it had a name)
Baby Wearing- Its just easier to carry baby everywhere.
Natural Childbirth-Although I failed once I REALLY believe its the best way for both Mom and baby.
Eating organic as much as I can find w/out driving an hour to get it.
We recycle our trash and recycle our clothes to those who need them.
Selective Vax-we do this very very slowly but we do vax. There are only a couple we don't/won't do.

What we don't do:

CD : I SUCK at laundry. They are cute and all just not for us. :
EC-
Homebirth- I would LOVE LOVE too but being high risk I just can't. Plus no midwife would touch me w/ a 10 foot pole and DH wouldn't feel comfortable w/ UC at all.
Homeschool- I tried w/ our oldest but it didn't work. I don't think our middle would do well either. I'll see how it goes w/ Elise. They do go to a GREAT school that I LOVE so I'm happy w/ it.
TV- I LOVE TV....its on a lot just for the noise most of the time but I do love it.:

What do we struggle w/-
GD- we try its hard but we do try very hard. We bribe sometimes but not most of the time.
Green living- I love my bleach (if you know a good alternative to bleach then please tell me?)

Elise is rolling from tummy to back and will go in circles but thank God NO crawling. I'm not ready for that yet. She is sitting up for small amounts of time but does have to lean on her hands for most of the time.

I'll stop now since I've written a small book.
#191 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 02:02 AM

The sudden crying before sleeping sounds like a pee signal to me. Very common.

I am feeling overwhelmed this week. Had fun with visitors, but now we are leaving for 10 days tomorrow and it's like the days are just slipping by me and I'm not getting stuff done big time! The up side is, I'm with my kids a lot and I'm watching them grow, learn, etc. I am arranging more help with my business and around the house and stuff, so I'm looking forward to November.

Henry is just so easy and fun and nothing even worth mentioning! Oh, I did weigh and measure him today - a little over 21 lbs and 27.5 inches.

It all depends on the day for me - sometimes I love babywearing, other days I prefer to try to get Henry to sleep in bed for naps so I can *do* more while he sleeps. Other days I realize if I get him to sleep on my back, he'll stay asleep longer and I can usually do the same amount, just slower with a baby on my back. Just an example. I'm so flexible and easy on myself with things - if I don't want to try to pee him, I don't. It's very freeing.

We co-sleep, I'm tandeming (never thought I would), Delia says she wants to stop nursing when she's four (we'll see - I was ready to stop nursing her about 3 months ago but we've gotten to a place where we are both OK now). I have learned not to have preconceived notions of what even I will do/think/feel. It is what it is, and it all works out.

I don't really attempt to eat very well. I buy organic, we avoid dairy, but we drink diet soda almost guilt-free and eat meat and who knows what all chemicals, colorings, etc etc etc. I don't feel like a failure though because it's just not something I even try to do - I'm happy with the way we eat. I make small changes towards healthier recipes/ingredients when I'm inspired to. I'm thinking about starting to make my own bread because a new friend does and I figure if she can, I can!

ETA: - wow, Aurora and Babbitt!! small world! It was breathtakingly beautiful this afternoon - we finally had a dry day and the sun was just amazing. I feel so lucky to live in a place that I love to stand and look out my window.
#192 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
The sudden crying before sleeping sounds like a pee signal to me. Very common.
IOW if I ran her to the potty and held her over it she might pee then go to sleep?

I remember swearing that if I had second babe I would ec. But I don't know if I am up to it. Until your post I didn't think I had ever seen the slightest sign of peeing in either of my girls. Dh is not on board w/ec at all. He doesn't even like nakey time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
I'm tandeming (never thought I would), Delia says she wants to stop nursing when she's four (we'll see - I was ready to stop nursing her about 3 months ago but we've gotten to a place where we are both OK now). I have learned not to have preconceived notions of what even I will do/think/feel. It is what it is, and it all works out.
I'm kind of there w/Rowan. Trying to find a balance btwn her needs and mine. I never thought I would feel that much of a struggle, but she really seems to need nursing, while I just don't feel that comfortable with it. I can't explain it, but there it is. It does seem to be getting better as Kiran is getting bigger/older.

So put extended nursing/tandeming on my ap list. I am learning gd as I go (though I do use time-outs occasionally and I think that's fine). Love co-sleeping. I am an at-home mom (though I do not "stay at home" all the time! . . . I'd rather call myself a housewife). Not vaxing.

I don't babywear very much, just a bit, I have a stroller fetish. Don't cd. (Thinking about doing some now that I have laundry in the house again, though it does still occasionally back up into the kitchen sink. Not appetizing, kwim?)

Would like to homeschool, but I'm not optimistic that we can do it.
#193 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, one more thing --natural flea control is possible. I never bomb! I do use advantage but have done without it before (when my cats were my children, before the human kids came).

Vacuum/mop all floors twice/week. Some cedar or eucalyptus or tea tree in the mop water kills fleas.
Take anything the animals sleep on and either wash it or shake it off outside frequently.
If you're not using advantage/frontline/whatever, flea comb daily.
#194 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 02:56 AM

191 Posts on this thread and its only been 10 days!! You ladies are busy! Okay, so here's my major multi-quote thread....
Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
Any other babies here close to crawling? I keep catching DD up on her hands and knees and rocking back and forth. I was hoping she'd crawl late- I'm not ready to start chasing another one! :
We're not quite up on knees yet, but she's able to army crawl across the room as of a few days ago. It happened so fast. It's only been maybe 5 days since she figured it out and now she's unstoppable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGroom View Post
My dd was like this but now both dd and ds prefer my dh to put them down!!!!:
It is unbelievable at 8:30 I am off duty he puts one down and then the other it is amazing. Sometimes I try to help out but it happens in half the time if he does it...go figure.
OMG, only in my dreams!!! Wow, you're lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
he isn't very good at grabbing anything besides my coffee cup. he tries a lot but seems to miss, of course i'm extra sensitive to his shortcomings because of his awful entry into the world and the ped pointing out that I should pay attention to his milestones in case of issues caused by the lack of oxygen.

He sure smiles a lot and laughs too. My dh went and had a vasectomy last month so i'm relieved and sad at the same time.
Just had to comment because Kylie grabbed my coffee cup while I was taking a sip this morning and it spilled all over my white pants!! Ugh! And my dh got a vasectomy last month, too...I feel the same way, relieved and sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOBetz View Post
When you type "... take a look at my diapers for sale here. Highlight "here" and then click the insert link button. (Looks like a world with the infinity symbol under it. Then you type in the link... like this.

Type Emma

Highlight Emma

Click World icon thing

Type in the website http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...tz/10-4069.jpg

Then you are done: Emma
Wow, you just taught me something!! LOL I've got a couple thousand posts and I've always typed it out like this (I'll add some spaces so you can see it without it actually creating a link) [ url= http:// blah blah .com] word that I want to highlight [ /url]

So excited about the shortcut!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
Yuck! We boarded our two dogs last week while we were in Seattle. Now, they are both infested with fleas! I discovered this when I picked a flea off of DD this morning during naked time :.

I got something called Capstone from the vet, which is a pill they ingest that is supposed to kill all the adult fleas. But what about the eggs when they hatch??? Anyone know of any non-toxic flea control remedies? Sorry, a little off topic.
My mom always used a mixture of 1/2 borax and 1/2 table salt. She would sprinkle it on the carpet and let it sit for a day or two before vaccuming it up. I guess it causes the fleas to dehydrate and die. I would do a little research on borax to make sure it's okay to have your kiddo crawling or rolling in it. But she swears that is the best way to kill off all the fleas.

What aspects of AP/NFL do find easiest to adopt, or work well for your family?

~Nursing- I love nursing my babes and I love NIP, too. I wasn't so good at NIP with dd1, but now I've got a lot more guts and I just whip it out wherever I am. I'm dying for someone to tell me to cover up...I really want to use the line "why don't you put a blanket over your head if it bothers you so much to watch my daughter eat."
~Co-sleeping, it just feels so right!
~Using cloth...so much easier now that we've moved into a place with a washer and dryer!!
~I can't imagine not using a sling/wrap/carrier, especially with two kids!
~Eating organic
~Buying local
~Using green products
~No cio

What aspects of AP/NFL do you find more challening, or don't work well for your family?[/QUOTE]
~TV...my dh is addicted to football and basketball. He got a killer deal on a brand new 57 inch HD TV from one of his clients, and for some reason I agreed to let him buy it. : I hate it. It's so big and yucky, and I watch it all the time. Well, not all the time, but much more than I would like.

Other than that, Kylie got her first tooth last week. I was shocked because Katelynn didn't get her first tooth until a week after she turned one! So we're mobile and there's a tooth, wow, it's going by so fast!

We just moved into a new amazing house! It was so hard though having to juggle the two kiddos while dh and I carried everything in and out. We did it all ourselves. My IL's were out of town so we didn't have anyone to help out with the girls and all of our friends sort of flaked last minute, so we moved everything ourselves. Well, dh talked his brother into helping him move the huge tv because I refused to do it, it was much to bulky and heavy for me.

Any of you ladies have a double jogging stroller? I'm thinking I want to get a BOB revolution duallie, but : they are just so darned expensive!! It hurts my head to think of spending that much money. Just wondering if any of you have any advice in that area...

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#195 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
Oh, one more thing --natural flea control is possible. I never bomb! I do use advantage but have done without it before (when my cats were my children, before the human kids came).
Very true. I feed my dog small amounts of garlic to fend off fleas, he's never had an issue, though my CAT is another story. When the cat gets really bad we dose both the dog and cat with Advantage, but I think I've done them once this year. Now, please note that large amounts of garlic is toxic to dogs, so please don't go feeding your dog cloves and cloves of it.. I just sprinkle a bit of granulated in his food once in a while.

Oh, and Borax is good for ants too, btw.

Quote:
...I really want to use the line "why don't you put a blanket over your head if it bothers you so much to watch my daughter eat."
I think I need to carry a recieving blanket around with me just so I can hand it to people and say that... in case it ever happens, so far I haven't had any issues. I was nursing DD after the car accident last week and the police officer attending asked me to move so he could take pictures so i popped my finger in DD's mouth to break the suction, pulled down my shirt and said "ok, I guess she's just comfort sucking now anyways" and the poor guy, really YOUNG male officer, was just falling all over himself apologizing... that is a more typical reaction around here to NIP.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#196 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
IOW if I ran her to the potty and held her over it she might pee then go to sleep?

I remember swearing that if I had second babe I would ec. But I don't know if I am up to it. Until your post I didn't think I had ever seen the slightest sign of peeing in either of my girls. Dh is not on board w/ec at all. He doesn't even like nakey time.
If I were you, I'd put my hand on her diaper and try to feel if she pees (it gets warm) during the crying. If she does, then the next time it happens (hopefully it will happen again but most likely because we are talking about it she won't ever do it ever again! ) you can slowly and calmly remove her diaper, let her pee, put a new one on. Or you can realize what it is, let it happen as it happens, and change her after she's asleep (my babies always sleep through gentle changes - I realize not all babies do this especially if they aren't used to it like mine are). No pressure either way, but I like solving little mysteries like that and so much of the time for us, it has to do with peeing or pooping.

My husband doesn't really like nakey time either. He really hates it when I hand a non-diapered baby to him and don't even point it out because he invariably gets peed on. But, he freaks out to a much lesser extent than he used to. And, you don't have to do any nakey time at all to do EC. Some days I do some, other days I have my baby waterproofed and clothed - sometimes even with a onesie and pants!! (On those days I usually get annoyed with the onesie though. LOL)
#197 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 10:09 AM

Oh Yes Thank You Much VOBetz!

I'm gonna give my new trick a try:

the matrona

love it!
:

... and I also just wanted to add that I just looked at your lovely blog Emily, and the new country home is just beautiful!

Grace Comes.

#198 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 10:28 AM

'm leaving for the weekend right now, but I wanted to pop in to say that Mick sat unassisted for like a minute today ooo

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#199 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 11:25 AM

NIP doesn't really bother me either.. It comes naturally- baby needs to eat, I nurse him, no matter where we are. My FIL gave me trouble about it though (which I am over now).. but that really threw me offguard. Everyone else in my life is so BF friendly, I didn't even give it a second thought.

#200 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 12:24 PM

Morning Mammas!

I am popping on to brag on my toddler son! I think I can safely say that he's day potty trained! Oh my goodness my baby boy is getting so big!

And I'm super excited today because my fleece came yesterday and I get to sew diapers and diapers and diapers today for Miss Emma Grace.

On the AP/NFL question - its really got me thinking... I just read someone's siggy (on another part of the board) - "Semi-crunchy: tandem nursing, cloth diapering, babywearing, homebirthing Momma"

Seriously? I want to know what about that makes her "semi-crunchy"? That she didn't have an unassisted birth or practice EC? I don't know why it caught my eye - but if she's semi-crunchy - then I'm downright mainstream. And tell that to DH who calls me a hippie all the time.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#201 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 PM

Stroller - I got a Phil & Ted's sport buggy with the doubles kit in August. I haven't really put it through its paces, but I do really like it. I like the versatility of it - it's the only stroller I've ever owned, and I love that it's the size of a single stroller but can seat both my kids if I need it to. I'm taking it with me on my trip and can't wait to go to a mall, IKEA, maybe a zoo or something like that. Yes, really I just want to go to a zoo so I can use my stroller and see how it works! LOL I was kind of bummed when we moved away from town because I'd use it a lot walking around town, but I still use it quite a bit around here too. I use it as a seat for Henry when we're working on projects outside, when we jump on the trampoline, etc. It's nice to have a place to put him that's safe and portable. I keep meaning to walk more, but that isn't really happening yet. It's not a jogging stroller fit for jogging, but it's great on gravel, bumpy sidewalks, uneven grass, stuff like that. It was super duper expensive. I definitely don't feel like I've gotten my $$'s worth out of it yet - it's going to take a while, and hopefully I'll be able to sell it for a pretty good price eventually too. I am not the kind of person who likes to have specific things, like an umbrella stroller for this purpose and a more hefty stroller for other times. I never seem to have the right thing in the right situation, so just having ONE that will do everything pretty well was a good choice for me.
#202 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 01:10 PM

I saw a phil & Ted's yesterday at the park. pretty cool how it's designed.

VOBetz- Our kiddos are both the same age! DD1 Potty learned a couple months ago, isn't it amazing?!?!

#203 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 01:29 PM

ooo, Baraka, that La Matrona place looks so neat--it's in Asheville NC--one of my "top 5 supercool places to move to someday" ..why'd you link it tho?? :iz dum:

strollers--this will be babe 2 out of 3 that I don't have a stroller for, and so far i've only wished i had one once. a double jogger would be cool for the sake of exercise, but that would of course mean a big financial shellout for what would really be the wishful thought of regular exercise!

Crunchiness--yeah I think it's defined a lot by the type of ppl you associate with and the region you live in. I am a raving hippie for west TX, mostly because I breastfeed, cloth-diaper, homeschool w/o a Bible (!), and don't spank. Those things are all considered really edgy/on-the-fringe behaviors here. I think in a place like Asheville, I'd lose all kinds of coolpoints with the granola-mamas b/c we watch tv, play video games, shop at stupid Wal-Mart, and drink soda : I would probably find it easier to be the way I wanna be in an atmosphere of support (UC comes vividly to mind for example), but I don't think I'd on-purpose change much about what we actually do/don't do. does that make sense??

oh...just to update--dh did get his job back, and he will start management training soonish, but he's still majorly bummed out. even as a manager with this place, he'll be working a LOT more, still havign crappy hours, and still making a lot less than what the new job would have paid. it is way better than no job tho!!

*bangs head for not bothering to USE multi-quote* I forget what else I was gonna talk about. thanks to everyone for voting for Claire btw

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#204 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM

oh yeah.

CLW/tandeming--i have no idea if I'd truly be cool with that, cause I've never tried it. Lili nursed til 28m. I'd say she self-weaned, but then again I certainly wasn't offering yk?? 8 sounds outrageous to me personally O-o

and i also wanted to comment on something Baraka siad waaay earlier, about a cookie offered with love being healing food...i adore that line of thinking... i mean, that's part of why I love dh's cooking--even tho it's full of creme and egg and salt and 1000 calories per serving sometimes : --he loves us enough to cook for us!! I have never had home cooking on a regular basis in my life before, and certainly never this good. When my mom did cook, my dad was always tearing her down for not getting it right somehow, and my ex always hated my cooking, so we'd eat out. In a way, the lavish diet I eat now is deeply healing to me.

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#205 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
oh...just to update--dh did get his job back, and he will start management training soonish, but he's still majorly bummed out. even as a manager with this place, he'll be working a LOT more, still havign crappy hours, and still making a lot less than what the new job would have paid. it is way better than no job tho!!
That's great your dh is back as management.. when does he turn 21? Maybe he can reapply when he does.

Quote:
and i also wanted to comment on something Baraka siad waaay earlier, about a cookie offered with love being healing food...i adore that line of thinking...
Yeah, I've been thinking about this too. Since I want to raise ds vegan, how would I feel about this? I think I would be more open to letting him accept the offer of a big ol' cookie from the nice old lady.. but just don't tell my DH

I certainly don't want to deprive him of something like that.. And I am also not opposed to yummy treats at home.. sometimes I feel like that's what makes a home.. I love cake and cookies! I just make them vegan

#206 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 PM

mmmm cookies sound good right now. It's raining and cold outside. It really feels like fall. I think I'll go make some cookies!

#207 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 04:05 PM

I have cake in the oven but for a dinner party we are going to tonight. Smells good. Hard to resist.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#208 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 06:03 PM

I'm finally done with those stupid envelopes...but, it's money, right? I got my pf's in the mail earlier this week and I totally LOVE them! I'm getting DH on board too. He is starting to prefer them as well. The only bad thing is that it makes Kade's little butt look huge, but OTOH, it's kinda cute.

He's not trying to crawl yet, and I'm in no hurry for him to. He found his feet and thinks they are amazing and he's sitting better everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
my back went "out" today. i leaned over to put ez in the carseat & *ouch*!! i can walk but not straight up which makes it super difficult to carry a 20# baby around all day. i had him ruck-sacked on my back for quite a few hours & i had to bend over ever-so slightly. i'm heading up to take a warm bath in a few minutes. both my girls skipped their naps today so it was early bedtime for them. (yippee ). dh took ezra for a drive because he would NOT go to sleep! he napped a total of about an hour today & he is waaayyyy overtired. i hope he goes to sleep peacefully in the car because he was doing a lot of crying around here. nope....i hear them coming & the babe is screaming. gotta go....
I hope you feel better...ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewins24 View Post
For those dealing w/ PPD I was hit HARD with it (which is one of the biggest reasons I wasn't around for a long while). I'm keeping in under control w/ taking a combo of EPA and DHA and also St Johns Wort. It is working and I'm feeling a lot better. I'm also MAKING myself get out each day. So if you are struggling you may want to give it a try.
I got it with DD for about a year. It was total hell. I'm glad you found something that works for you!

Quote:

Crunchiness--yeah I think it's defined a lot by the type of ppl you associate with and the region you live in. I am a raving hippie for west TX, mostly because I breastfeed, cloth-diaper, homeschool w/o a Bible (!), and don't spank. Those things are all considered really edgy/on-the-fringe behaviors here. I think in a place like Asheville, I'd lose all kinds of coolpoints with the granola-mamas b/c we watch tv, play video games, shop at stupid Wal-Mart, and drink soda : I would probably find it easier to be the way I wanna be in an atmosphere of support (UC comes vividly to mind for example), but I don't think I'd on-purpose change much about what we actually do/don't do. does that make sense??

oh...just to update--dh did get his job back, and he will start management training soonish, but he's still majorly bummed out.
I'm glad he was able to get his job back, but I'm sorry the other one didn't work out. I agree that it makes a big difference where you live. I feel like an outsider a lot around my family and some of my friends for my crunchier ways. Sometimes I wonder if I was secretly adopted

Sorry this is so long...
#209 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOBetz View Post
On the AP/NFL question - its really got me thinking... I just read someone's siggy (on another part of the board) - "Semi-crunchy: tandem nursing, cloth diapering, babywearing, homebirthing Momma" Seriously? I want to know what about that makes her "semi-crunchy"? That she didn't have an unassisted birth or practice EC? I don't know why it caught my eye - but if she's semi-crunchy - then I'm downright mainstream. And tell that to DH who calls me a hippie all the time.
Same here. DH doesn't exactly call me a hippie, but refers to me as a tree-hugging type.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#210 of 680 Old 10-12-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Wow. Just...wow

treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page