MAY 2007 It is October already - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 680 Old 10-13-2007, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwpsgurl View Post
Lots of walking, patting, going outside, and snuggling sometimes works when I leave her with a friend of mine and she gets upset. Sometimes it doesn't and all she wants is the boob. I haven't left her with anyone in a while because the last time I did she had a meltdown and wouldn't calm down at all and I felt like I had abandoned her

: The last few times I've even left her alone with DH she's had a meltdown, including last night when he was giving her a bath and I was maknig dinner. I was in the next room, but she still freaked out.: I've heard that the "seperation anxiety" stage only lasts a month or 6 weeks and then they get over it. They are just starting to figure out that people come and go and in a few weeks they will be comforted in the fact that they know you will always come back. I just take DD with me to work and stuff, or I leave right when she goes down for a nap and try to be home in less than 2.5 hours (two hours for nap, 45 min window before the freakout typically starts).

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#242 of 680 Old 10-13-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwpsgurl View Post
Lots of walking, patting, going outside, and snuggling sometimes works when I leave her with a friend of mine and she gets upset. Sometimes it doesn't and all she wants is the boob. I haven't left her with anyone in a while because the last time I did she had a meltdown and wouldn't calm down at all and I felt like I had abandoned her
:. I have to be away from DD about 10 hours a week, during which time she will not take a bottle or be put down. Our helper rocks her, sings to her, reads to her, wears her, goes on nature walks in the back yard. By the time I get home she is DEFINITELY ready to eat, but she prefers to suck on her fingers while I'm gone, rather take EBM from a bottle.

And I love MSAX's point about paying now or later. And it's much easier to meet their needs now, IMO.

Oh, and we're 30.

treehugger.gif
#243 of 680 Old 10-13-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOBetz View Post
Seriously? I want to know what about that makes her "semi-crunchy"?
Me, too!

BTW, I love the name Emma Grace. Elisabeth's middle name was almost Grace, but I like Grace so much I want to use it.

ETA: I'm 27, is 29, b-days are next mo.

Krystal323, I voted, what a cutie!

Kristen, I've been teaching Elisabeth "Let go" when she started pulling on her hair at 2 mos. Since then I've used it when she'd bite and pull her head away, and when she gets ahold of anything we want to take out of her hands: glasses, hair, etc. I repeated it and gently opened her hand. I'm really tenderheaded, so I hope she gets it figured out soon that hair isn't up for grabs.

I've only left her with a couple times, and w/my ILs while and me were taking walks on the family ranch. But deer season is coming, so I've been expressing milk, altho' if we go out mostly in the mornings, she sleeps late enough that my MIL won't need to give her a bottle, which she takes easily.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#244 of 680 Old 10-13-2007, 11:16 PM

I was 37 when I had dd1, now I'm 40. Looks like I win!
#245 of 680 Old 10-13-2007, 11:17 PM

I found out today that my lipstick has lead in it The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics tested 33 brands and over 61% had lead in them. Yuck. I had Burts Lip Shimmers and Body Shop lipstick and both had small amounts. Others, like L'Oreal and Dior and Cover Girl, where super high! Yuck!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#246 of 680 Old 10-13-2007, 11:27 PM

Hi everyone. I'm always lurking (and have been since we were pregnant) and rarely post, so I thought I'd say hi. I'm 29 and dh is 33, btw.

I guess I'll just say that being a mommy is sooo much harder than I imagined, and it makes it so much harder to be a wife, too. But I'm very lucky and I have a wonderful husband and an adorable son and I just have to remember to count my blessings.

I'm always amazed at how awesome everyone in this due date club is. Everyone seems so friendly, open-minded, and supportive. I wish I could get to know you guys in real life.

Anyway, thanks everyone for being "there". You've helped me feel like I wasn't alone when I really needed it on many occasions, even though I never told you I needed the support.
#247 of 680 Old 10-13-2007, 11:29 PM

I don't get to post often, but it's comforting to read the other people are experiencing changes with their babes that are throwing things off a little bit! I guess it's just a phase! Emeth used to be sooooo easy, but now he's definitely getting a bit more difficult. He fights sleep like crazy. It took me 2 hours to get him down this evening, and I eventually resorted to giving him teething tablets (he's a drool monster, so I assume that he's experiencing some teething pain) and he fell asleep around 15 mins after I gave him the tablets. It's good that it worked because if that didn't work I was going to double dose him with Calms 4 Kids.

Getting him down to sleep at night is only the first battle though; he's waking up around 8 times a night (once every hour, i guess) and he doesn't always go back to sleep and he ALWAYS demands the boob. I am so tired and frustrated. I'd love it if he would nurse 3 times a night or less... most people I tell that to think I'm crazy for wishing for 3 times a night! But 8 is just insane... I feel like I"m not really sleeping at all. The second I get settled from the last nursing session, he's yelling at me again.

Emeth has started to crawl backwards. He's been doing the up on all fours and rocking thing for about a month or a month and a half now... and sometimes he does a sort of walrus-crawl (if you can picture that, he gets up on all fours and then sort of flops himself forward... do this repeatedly to get to desired destination). I think he'll be full on crawling (slowly) around Halloween.

Here's a recent pic (my SIL is holding him, I'm on the right):
http://bee.xxvii.net/pickle/main.php?g2_itemId=26638

I'm 27, DH is turning 40 in December.
#248 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 01:25 AM

DoulaLes- I just wanted to chime in that a few weeks ago, after about 2 weeks of not being able to figure out why Kylie was so inconsolable at certain times, I discovered that she was tired. I found that when she starts to "lose it" I just lay down with her with the lights off and nurse and she'll fall asleep within a matter of minutes. But if I sit there and try to nurse her on the couch or walk around with her, she just seems to get more upset. It's like she's completely overstimulated and needs to just get away from it all in order to relax and fall asleep. Another thing that caught me completely by suprise was her tooth that just popped through. I didn't even notice it until the day before it came through. Maybe your LO could be teething, too...

Baraka-I love the BH! I also have a Free Hand Baby MT that I love. I've got quite the stash of baby carriers, but I've also narrowed it down to pretty much the MT and the Ergo at all times.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#249 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
. . . sometimes I like to relax and read a book if I know she's going to be a while!!
a gf gave me the Harry Potter books in the summer. I'm about halfway through #7 now.
#250 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
I was 37 when I had dd1, now I'm 40. Looks like I win!
hee hee. that makes me feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
I found out today that my lipstick has lead in it The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics tested 33 brands and over 61% had lead in them. Yuck. I had Burts Lip Shimmers and Body Shop lipstick and both had small amounts. Others, like L'Oreal and Dior and Cover Girl, where super high! Yuck!
someone just mentioned this in my AP group. frontier has some natural lipsticks that i'm going to try out....even though i only wear lipstick about once a month (maybe). i agree that the burts bees stuff is yuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fioner View Post
I guess I'll just say that being a mommy is sooo much harder than I imagined, and it makes it so much harder to be a wife, too. But I'm very lucky and I have a wonderful husband and an adorable son and I just have to remember to count my blessings.
welcome! and just so ya know (even though this won't make anything better), i always said the first babe was the hardest. many people disagree & think adding numbers is trickier but that first one is such a lifestyle change, IMHO, and it took a LOT of adjusting for me. keep hanging around here because all these lovelies will give you plenty of hugs & support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-stasis View Post

Here's a recent pic (my SIL is holding him, I'm on the right):
http://bee.xxvii.net/pickle/main.php?g2_itemId=26638

I'm 27, DH is turning 40 in December.
what a cutie emeth is! and yay for another couple with a big age gap like us!!

i fell asleep last night at 7:30pm!? ezra has been skipping his evening nap because there's just too much fun stuff going on & he's been tired & crabby very early. so last night i decided to get in bed with him & rest while nursing him to sleep.....and i zonked, too. i slept straight through until 5:30 this morning! let me add that there were about 6 nursing sessions in there but i didn't get out of bed.

stephanie asl.gif

#251 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
welcome! and just so ya know (even though this won't make anything better), i always said the first babe was the hardest. many people disagree & think adding numbers is trickier but that first one is such a lifestyle change, IMHO, and it took a LOT of adjusting for me. keep hanging around here because all these lovelies will give you plenty of hugs & support!
I totally agree with this. My experience was that with my first, I had very little experience with what I was doing. I was completely unprepared for what having a newborn or baby took from my time, energy, sleep, sexlife, marriage. I could go on and on. I mean, I wasn't so naive to know there wouldn't be a change - but how much of a change knocked me on my @ss honestly.

Having the second baby was a lot easier to handle the baby. I still struggle with my (older) son, because its like uncharted territory. But that has little to do with adding a member to the family. I try to keep in mind that the first baby is born into an adult's world and the second baby is born into a child's world. (so says Dr. Karp)

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#252 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 03:26 PM

Yup I wear her on my back in the BabyHawk and I think she likes it because she can see out. With the wraps and pouches she would just pitch a fit because she was being so contained and didn't have a great view.

And I just wanted to also add my support to you Leslie! You are making great work of the hardest job on Earth!! I am sending you warm unconditional love and protection...

ExStasis... dd has also started recently fighting sleep. Ugh. Thank goodness these challenges are just phases and one thing is for sure in parenting... everything always changes.

Hugs all around~

Grace Comes.

#253 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Just wanted to remind you all that we are entering the "6 month growth spurt" anytime in the net couple of weeks (we're already in it here, but she hit all the others early too) and that will affect sleep patterns. Hang in there!! A few weeks and we'll be good for at least a few months!

#254 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
+
Oh, anyone know when babies can start to learn the word "no"?? Little bugger is biting fingers with her new teeth and it hurts! And she lunges to get to you, it is quite deliberate. I want to teach "no, that hurts" and give her an appropriate teething toy.

Never ever teach your baby "NO" this is from a mom of 5. They will learn what that word means flip it around and use it against you. Everytime you ask them something it will be NO. This can go on for years and years and years.

Heidi
#255 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 05:46 PM

I am really in the mood for apple pie.

What is everyone having for dinner tonight/tomorrow (when ever you read this? I am always curious and love recipes and such.

Dh made french lentils and chard. I am eating mine in a whole wheat tortilla with sharp cheddar. But, I want apple pie instead

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#256 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Never ever teach your baby "NO" this is from a mom of 5. They will learn what that word means flip it around and use it against you. Everytime you ask them something it will be NO. This can go on for years and years and years.
Ha ha. Good point. Ok then, when can I expect her to respond to "Ow!"

#257 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:

What is everyone having for dinner tonight/tomorrow (when ever you read this? I am always curious and love recipes and such.

Dh made french lentils and chard. I am eating mine in a whole wheat tortilla with sharp cheddar. But, I want apple pie instead
That sounds yummy.. I frequent the What's for Dinner thread in the Veg'n section on MDC. I will probably have canned soup tonight

My DH left today for L.A. for work. He'll be gone 5 weeks (unless he comes here for a weekend in between) :

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#258 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ha ha. Good point. Ok then, when can I expect her to respond to "Ow!"

Well this is my post from last week about ow.

My daughter is a smart alec. We are trying not to say no to her because she is going to pick up on the no and run with it, so what ever she is doing that she is not suppose to we say a full sentence like "stop pulling my hair" instead of just "no". Anyway she loves to pull my hair so I started saying "OW" when she pulls it, "that hurts". So now she pulls my hair and says "OW, OW, OW" as she pulls my hair.

Heidi
#259 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

MMM that sounds good even though I have not a clue what french lentils are. Care to share what it is?

We had a really late brunch. I made chicken sausage, potatoes, turkey bacon, eggs and I had a peice of brown rice bread toast. It was not bad. First time I had it. I do not think I would like it unless it was toasted. For dinner it will be every man for himself which means cereal.

Heidi
#260 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
My DH left today for L.A. for work. He'll be gone 5 weeks (unless he comes here for a weekend in between) :
What does he do for a living? How far are you from LA? Can you visit him?

Heidi
#261 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post

a babyhawk is a brand of mei tai. you can carry your babe in front, back or side...even though i find the hip carry a bit challenging. baraka, i'm glad you found a carrier that works for akasha. i love(d) my MT. yes...it's officially gone. but i ordered a BH, too, and should be getting it very soon. and...i just bought an inka storch wrap from a lovely mama on TBW. i am beside myself with excitement! here's the colorway...
Sorry I was not very clear about what I meant. What I mean is the baby hawk or any mei tai where is the weight distributed out. Is it on your shoulders or hips? For example, the sling and pouch the weight of the baby is on your shoulders while the ergo it is on your hips.

Heidi
#262 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Here is my super chunk. Yes, we did have problems gaining weight and she was very small for her age but that is all past tense. She is now over 18 pounds and mostly in 12 months clothes. http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...aggiehappy.jpg

And did I miss the post on how to do a URL and then put then being able to click on the text to go to it.

Heidi
#263 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 07:29 PM

Maggie and Clay look like cousins! Super cute

#264 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
What does he do for a living? How far are you from LA? Can you visit him?
He is going there to work on a film.. that's what he does mostly (when there is no film work he does construction stuff).. And there isn't anything local going on so he went to L.A. We are about a 10+ hr drive to there.

Hopefully I'll be able to go visit him (or he can come here).. would be nice to get some sunshine and hang out on Venice Beach anyway

Quote:
Here is my super chunk. Yes, we did have problems gaining weight and she was very small for her age but that is all past tense. She is now over 18 pounds and mostly in 12 months clothes. http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...aggiehappy.jpg

And did I miss the post on how to do a URL and then put then being able to click on the text to go to it.
What a CUTE CHUNK!!! Wow, 12m clothes. Sebastian is still in 3-6 and SOME 6-9.

There was a few pages back how to do a link text.. I will try to recreat it:

To link Sebastian
Highlight Sebastian
Click on the world with the infinity or chain-link icon below the A and the smile face.
Enter the Link into the pop up box, hit OK and it will link it for you.
Sebastian

Hope that made sense..

#265 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 08:50 PM

Lizzy-I hope you guys can visit each other...if you need any help, let me know.

I woke up this morning with a sore throat, fever, and I'm really dizzy. It came out of nowhere, and got bad fast. My hubby's on call for his job, and he just had to go out on a call. This sucks. I think I might call my mom to get S, otherwise she will get bored and give me hell, kwim?
#266 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 09:48 PM

I need to catch up, but now is not the time. Actually I am going to be restrictuing my internet and MDC time so I will be on a lot less for a while until I get my real life in a consistant place.
I just got back from the LLL positive parenting conference. WOW. I feel so amazing right now. I feel refreshed. I feel ready to turn over a new leaf. I feel amazing.
Laurence Cohen was there. . .:
I just feel amazing--ready to BE what I want-- ready to feel how I want.

More on that later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
We are both 30. We got married at 21 and had first kid at 26, second kid at 29. My husband and I are only 9 days apart in age.

At a hotel - no time to add anything else but you aren't creating a monster.
Ok weirdo twin O mine-- DH and I's due dates are 9 days apart :twiliteZone:

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#267 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Just wanted to remind you all that we are entering the "6 month growth spurt" anytime in the net couple of weeks (we're already in it here, but she hit all the others early too) and that will affect sleep patterns. Hang in there!! A few weeks and we'll be good for at least a few months!
Oh, I hope so. That said, last night was an amazing night! Emeth only woke up twice to nurse. After waking up 8 times a night, the lack of nursing made me a little sore but I only noticed it while I was awake (which wasn't much)! Yayy! Also, for some inexplicable reason EVERYONE in the family (including 2yo DD) slept in til 9:45. it was like Heaven!

I wonder what tonight will be like...
#268 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesa143 View Post
Lizzy-I hope you guys can visit each other...if you need any help, let me know.

I woke up this morning with a sore throat, fever, and I'm really dizzy. It came out of nowhere, and got bad fast. My hubby's on call for his job, and he just had to go out on a call. This sucks. I think I might call my mom to get S, otherwise she will get bored and give me hell, kwim?
Thanks! Hope you feel better.. if you need help too, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-stasis View Post
Oh, I hope so. That said, last night was an amazing night! Emeth only woke up twice to nurse. After waking up 8 times a night, the lack of nursing made me a little sore but I only noticed it while I was awake (which wasn't much)! Yayy! Also, for some inexplicable reason EVERYONE in the family (including 2yo DD) slept in til 9:45. it was like Heaven!

I wonder what tonight will be like...
:jealous: Wondering what the growth spurt will be like if I am doing to all alone at night now
:

#269 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
What a CUTE CHUNK!!! Wow, 12m clothes. Sebastian is still in 3-6 and SOME 6-9.
Start of September we were still in newborn clothes and we spent about 2 weeks in 3-6 months clothes and we have moved right through 6-9 months clothes at that time. She still has a few that fit and most of the pants in 12 months are too long but better then your butt crack showing okay your diaper crack showing, lol.

Heidi
#270 of 680 Old 10-14-2007, 10:40 PM

Anyone else here on facebook?? I'm thinking that might be an easy nice way to share pics and things? I'll start up an MDC May07 Moms group on there if there are others who want to participate.. I'll keep it private/invite only so our names and faces and kids aren't public.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page