Forum Jump: 

#301 of 361 Old 10-26-2007, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
CJanelles:

Marcy & Amy: I have a few questions about MVP, hope you don't mind... Were you able to give birth outside the hospital setting (if you wanted to)? Did you need IV antibiotics during labor? Were there any precautions you had to take during pregnancy or birth? I'm not preg, just curious for future pregs. Do you need to take antibiotics before dental work? My cardi says this is not the case anymore. Were you told you have a higher risk of having a baby with a heart defect because of MVP? I'm gonna mention this to the genetic counsellor and see what she says, I'm wondering if this deems DS's heart defect as genetic and raises my reoccurance chance to 25%

I was planning a homebirth with a midwife, but my water broke at 36 weeks 2 days, so my midwife could not do the homebirth since I was before 37 weeks. (state law in TN) We went to a hospital where there is an OB my midwife works with. Only there did I even remember to mention my MVP. I had never even mentioned it to my midwife before because I forgot!! So because I was in the hospital, they gave me a round of antibiotics just to "be safe", they also gave me another round of antibiotics because I had not done the GBS test, and so I was "GBS unknown". (but that is another story in itself!)

I have never been told that I had any risks of having a baby with a heart defect because of MVP. And my midwife still would've done the homebirth even if she knew of my MVP. (We hope to get our homebirth next time.) When I was first diagnosed with MVP, my doctor at that time suggested taking antibiotics before dental work. I have not been to the dentist in a LONG time (shame on me! ) but when I do go again, I do not plan to take any. Especially now that I am breastfeeding, I do not want that junk going to the baby. He was exposed to it while I was in labor, and that was enough! Besides, I went to the dentist AND orthodontist, for YEARS before I ever knew I had MVP, and I never took antibiotics then!!!!

I hope that helps some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 361 Old 10-26-2007, 12:39 AM

Wombatclay: I have a real Ikea "problem" and it's probably a good thing we don't live near one! My house is already a testament to IKEA and I can only imagine what a steady diet of swedish meatballs would do for me.
I definitely should not be reading this at work bc I just burst out laughing . As I was laying in bed the other night completing a checklist of all the furniture moving we have to do this wkd bc we're having new windows installed, I realized that every piece of furniture in the bedrooms is from IKEA. Not intentionally mind you. It's a good thing that IKEA is 2 hours away otherwise I would probably be wandering around there daily with baby in wrap.
I did want to ask, wombatclay you're postings have lead me to believe you might be in the central pa area? is that correct?
#303 of 361 Old 10-26-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awallrising View Post
cjanelles-

I don't want to express an unpopular opinion, but sometimes I feel like some Moms (not talking about anyone in our June group) on MDC are setting a new standard of being the perfect Mother (i.e. never leaving their children, feeling guilty for occasionally using a stroller instead of babywearing, feeling guilty if they don't BF past 1 yr, etc). Of course we want the best for our babes, but striving for some new version of parental perfection seems awfully stressful to me. I feel like some Moms on MDC are trying to be the earthy crunchy version of June Cleaver. Every parent needs to come up with their own style of parenting & what they think is best.

Amen to that!! I do want the best for my baby, and I strive to do as much as I can to be as "crunchy" or "natural" as possible. But sometimes it doesn't work that way! I have 4 different sling/carriers and he won't have any of them!!! I had huge plans for babywearing, but he doesn't like it yet! I'm not giving up hope, I will try again, but it just goes to show that what we plan does not always work out.

Breastfeeding was HARD work for me to get established because he was early. He was just not interested. So I pumped every 2 to 3 hours, had two cases of mastitis, low milk supply, and spent $500 in supplies and gear, and he finally did it at 6 weeks of age. A lot of work, time, and money spent on something that is FREE!!! But I am SO glad I stuck with it and did not give up. It was worth it to me because it was very important to me to give him the best. However, I would not look down on any mama who decided to throw in the towel after going through all that. It was not easy.
#304 of 361 Old 10-26-2007, 12:49 AM

Mmmmm.... lingonberry sauce!

I'm actually in the finger lake region of NY...so central PA is a few hours more or less straight south from me. To put it in perspective, I'm about equal distance from the Philidelphia PA IKEA and the Elizabeth NJ IKEA. But we have been making our twice a year trip to the Stoughton MA IKEA since we used to live in Stoughton and have lots of friends in the Boston area.

If you scroll down a bit, you'll see my now 2.5yo at the Stoughton IKEA grand opening (http://www.notfarfromthetree.com/laiaontheroad.html). It's not something I recommend actually. Certainly something interesting to look back on, but it was insane. Reall really insane. Dh should have stopped me.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#305 of 361 Old 10-26-2007, 11:36 AM

I'm still kicking myself, I grew up in Stoughton and moved to FL shortly before the new IKEA was built I've never been to an IKEA. If we are able to move back up there I'll likely return to Stoughton and pay IKEA a visit.

Marcy, my MW told me that I would still be eligible for a HB despite MVP and DS's defect. I would have to have a fetal echo and if anything was wrong with the baby I'd obviously have to switch to a hospital birth. I don't think I'll take antibiotics for dental work either, I've had all sorts of dental work over the years without and have been fine. I've had braces too.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#306 of 361 Old 10-26-2007, 01:18 PM

ok.... typing one handed...

forgive me if i missed this discussion but i have a slight problem......

my once wonderful sleeper ( up once per night to nurse) has changed her tune.

she was up 7 times to nurse last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sooooooooooooooo tired! It's not that shes confused about night and day, she goes right back to sleep after nursing.... but whats the deal????

Any one else running into this?
I probably had a similar situation w/ my 1st but i just dont remember!
#307 of 361 Old 10-26-2007, 01:39 PM

4 months seems to be the magic age for sleep mess. They're so active and interested in everything all day that they don't eat as much, and burn more calories. Result? Driving tired moms crazy waking up all night to eat. As long as babe really is eating when they wake up, there's not too much you can do. I try to cluster feed Owen in the evenings to reduce this, but even that doesn't seem to help much. Oh well, this too shall pass. Right? Right!?! Please tell me it passes...
#308 of 361 Old 10-26-2007, 08:37 PM

: Talk about a bad day. I've been pumping exclusively for 16 wks and have been producing enough to feed her and freeze a bottle's worth every day. For some unknown reason the girls have gone haywire. This am I woke up, DD woke up, I fed her, put her in her rocking seat which she usually loves. I started pumping and my Right B just didn't want to cooperate. fast forward an hour, I'm still trying to squeeze a few ounces out of my right B, DD is screaming in her chair, and I'm crying on the couch. My next scheduled pump didn't go much better and I'm upset bc I DON'T WANT TO GIVE HER FORMULA

I felt really bad because I yelled at her when she was screaming and she gave me the saddest, what did I do mommy look, and I really lost it.

I called DH upset and of course he was sympathetic but there's nothing he can do to help with this situation. I think I'm having a little bit of PPD four months later. :

OK, just needed to vent.
#309 of 361 Old 10-26-2007, 09:47 PM

hugs addiemomNot being able to feed your baby is one of the most stressful situations. It doesn't mean you are not a good mommy, you are doing the best you can! Just FYI stress can really play a role in the let-down response, when I have a hard time pumping I find I am stressed out, so I try closing my eyes and taking a deep breath, or a really good realeasing cry helps too.

Who ever mentioned the martyr mommy syndrome, Thank you! You said exaclty what this sleep deprived mom could not! I agree immensly, infact I believe that MMS added to my PPD with my first baby, I couldn't be "perfect" and do all those "perfect" granola, crunchy mom things and I felt sOOOOO guilty, this time around I skip over reading things that I KNOW will upset me, like I passed right over those threads about not leaving your baby, or those moms who make everything by hand, i.e food and diapers, heck I can hardly get my teeth brushed on some days because I am TENDING to my babes. I hope to get to a point one day where I can balance it all, like getting a daily shower and being fully present to my kids, but in this season in my life, I am truely just doing the best that I can. I know that all moms have the best of intentions, they do the best they can for the knowledge they have and circumstances they are in!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#310 of 361 Old 10-27-2007, 10:48 PM

Kate: My hat goes off to EP-ers, pumping is hard work! Is your baby able to nurse at the breast? That may help letdown. If not, a warm relaxing shower always gets me to let down. Have you tried hand expressing and massage? You can also try mothers milk tea if it is a supply issue. I hope things get better fast for you.

We still have bad nighttime sleep here too, but that is nothing new. I think I'm getting used to it :

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#311 of 361 Old 10-28-2007, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

One of the moms in my breastfeeding-with-"issues" support thread swears by Red Raspberry Leaf to help her milk let down. You might try that, especially if you used it during pg and still have some around.

Did you eat anything anti-lactogenic the day/night before the problem? Mint, parsley, thyme, extra caffeine... lots of things can have a negative effect on supply, and some women are much more easily affected by these things. Try eating OATMEAL today and getting extra good fats (flax oil, avocado, coconut oil.)

If you are EP'ing, you might consider joining MOBI (the group I mentioned above), because the advice is really, really helpful to me, and you'll find many other women in similar situations there, which can be such a relief on a bad day. (It's a Yahoo! group.)

We had a long, agonizing night of frequent wakings and suck-suck-COMPLAIN! I think maybe when I drink wine it makes the milk taste funny! Even so, I wouldn't take back the really enjoyable dinner with friends last night.

--willo
#312 of 361 Old 10-28-2007, 07:08 PM

Last time round my supply tanked a bit before AF rerturned (around 6mo). I dropped from pumping 8-10oz to getting 1-2 oz in the same amount of time. I had no idea what was happening and it scared the spit out of me as I burned through my whole freezer stash. Fenugreek, oatmeal, and a multi-vit helped and once I figured out what was happening (my supply tanked for the week pre-AF and the week AF was here but bounced back after that) it was easier to plan.

We are all sick... ugh

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#313 of 361 Old 10-28-2007, 11:22 PM

supply issues are so hard **Hugs** to all who have them...

Well my MIL came to visit for a week and it completely upset Perrin's routine : Is this going to happen every time? If so I am thinking no more staying with us when people visit, our place is very small, plus I guess we need some "rules" for when people are here... Anyone else have these issues? If so what are your visit rules?

~Steph
#314 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephNelson View Post
Well my MIL came to visit for a week and it completely upset Perrin's routine : Is this going to happen every time? If so I am thinking no more staying with us when people visit, our place is very small, plus I guess we need some "rules" for when people are here... Anyone else have these issues? If so what are your visit rules?

~Steph

I am interested in hearing more about this since my parents will be coming to visit over Thanksgiving. What was it about your MIL's visit that messed with Perrin's routine? Just too much "grandma time" and not enough naps? Did you go out alot and were away from home?

I have noticed that after a day or two of running errands or whatever that Little Ron will be sleepy and wanting to nurse a lot the next day. I ran errands with him on Friday, then Saturday we all went out to take some photos outdoors and we were gone for a good part of the day. Then today Little Ron was very sleepy and wanting to nurse a lot, plus he slept long last night and had two decent naps today. I think baby and I will just stay home tomorrow too.
#315 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 01:49 AM

When we are around family alot, Joey has a hard time too. I think he gets overwhelmed (especially around my IL's because they are constantly in his face and taking a million pictures) and fussy. We were gone most of the day today and he was passed around alot, so I'm sure he will sleep well tonight and probably sleep alot tomorrow. We don't go anywhere the day after these days either!
#316 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 02:33 AM

Yeah, visitors always seem to upset the routine. My kids get sooooo excited that naps seem to be the last thing from their mind. Plus we always go out to eat or do some other *special* thing which adds to the excitement.

But I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, it is a little rough, but things settle down after the guests leave. I say don't worry about any special rules. Just let grandma enjoy the grandkids. But with a the baby, just sling him when he starts to get overwhelmed so he gets some downtime with mama. :

Mom to :, , and :
#317 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 03:31 AM

nak
thought i was going to get to bed early tonight... L changed her mind. oh well. lately she's been doing this thing where when she's due for a nap or bedtime, she gets all wound up and fussy and even though she's hungry she refuses to nurse.
#318 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 05:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephNelson View Post
supply issues are so hard **Hugs** to all who have them...

~Steph
I sort of laughed when I read this and thought about how your questions applied to my household...because, man, we sure do not have anything resembling a routine, at least not as far as I can tell, not when it comes to Willow's "schedule". (Bwhahahaha!)

There are a couple of things I can think of that are similar, sort of, and that is when one of my best friends comes to spend the night with us on Tuesday nights. But he has been doing that since before I gave birth, so Willow actually has come to expect Uncle Brad to be here and she seems more out of sorts on the random Tuesdays he hasn't been able to come over.

The other thing is going to visit other places...I tried pretty early on to get Willow to be comfortable going to visit at my other good friends' houses, but she just is not really happy about being anywhere but home. It became such a chore to get her to nap (even if she was exhausted) that in the past month or so, I've just decided to not take her visiting with me. Of course, that's a good way to get some "me time", and I don't mind that at all. But really, it was so much work and so emotionally draining to try to visit with the babe in tow (because she was so unhappy) that I just decided it wasn't worth it.

I'm sorry, I know this has nothing to do with your original question. It just got me to thinking...and I really don't have any experience with your question.
#319 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 05:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle View Post
nak
thought i was going to get to bed early tonight... lola changed her mind. oh well. lately she's been doing this thing where when she's due for a nap or bedtime, she gets all wound up and fussy and even though she's hungry she refuses to nurse. i finally figured out that i can get her to nurse as long as she is in control. i can either lay her down and hang my breast over her so she can grab it with her hands and pull it to her mouth or i can sit her on my lap facing me and have her grab me--both are really uncomfortable but at least it works.

here's lola in her first flannel
That picture is so cute!

I hear ya about the going-to-bed-early thing.

Willow seemed to be on a really decent schedule (at least for me because I SAH and don't have to get up too early) for about 6 weeks, and then in the last week she has totally decided it's not for her. Before, she was going down for the night somewhere between 11 p.m. and 1 a.m., and she was sleeping until between 7:45 a.m. and 10:30 a.m...usually at least 7 hours straight.

Now, in the last week, she has not gone to bed before 3 a.m. and she is waking up again at around 5:30 a.m. to nurse, then going back to sleep until around 9 a.m., and then is up for about an hour, and then goes back down for about 3 hours.

Used to be that I'd just lay back down when she went down between 10a and 11a, but I like to be up for the day by 9 a.m. these days, and I'm trying to make it habitual (because I'm *not* a morning person). So, I've been very tired these past couple of days.

But I prepared myself for tonight. When DH got home from work around 5:30p, I talked to him for about 30 minutes, then handed the baby off and went to take a nap. He was supposed to wake me up at 7:30p so I could cook dinner, but my 10 yo DD cooked dinner instead and he let me sleep until 9p. So, I was ready for her when she was up...she went down around 2 a.m., and started tossing and turning around 3 a.m., but I think she's down for good now.

Now I'm just waiting for the quiche I'm baking to be done so I can take it out of the oven, and I'm off to bed!
#320 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 05:38 AM

DS has started really hating being out of his home, too.

I was thinking about this a lot and you know, why should I force him to be comfortable in these situations? Some adults dont' like to visit much and some prefer the constant company of others.
#321 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 05:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkTrance View Post
DS has started really hating being out of his home, too.

I was thinking about this a lot and you know, why should I force him to be comfortable in these situations? Some adults dont' like to visit much and some prefer the constant company of others.
Honestly, for me, my reasoning was a bit selfish.

I was going to my friend's house regularly on Wednesday nights just to hang out and relax and get out of the house and get a break...I mean, that was the whole point of the venture out. We started doing it when DD was about 2 mo and not sleeping and my DH was gone all the time working, so I had no help at home, and Maggie (my friend) would tell me to get the baby and come hang at her house, eat dinner, take a nap if I wanted, and she's tend to the baby. (She has school-aged kids too young to be left home alone, so that's why she didn't come to my house to help out.)

But as time wore on, Willow was less and less content to be away from home, and the "break" I was supposed to be getting by going to my friend's house was really becoming a hassle, something I dreaded. Willow would scream in the car the whole way home because it was dark and she was in the backseat alone, and she refused to sleep in the car, so it just became a nightmare for me.

It was easier to stay home without any company or help than it was to go into town to get a "break".
#322 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

My mom always wants to be out doing things, so sometimes that is an issue when she visits. Because she lives 3000 miles away, her visits are always at least a week, and usually two weeks at a time. Also, she is of the opinion that one should "teach" the child to sleep in any location by just going out and doing stuff and baby-must-deal.

Now, I disagree. I felt "less important" as a kid because our (my brother's and my) needs were secondary to "getting stuff done." So I parent differently.

Basically, I've given my mom rules. When she's at my house, we go out (run errands, to eat, etc.) with the kids in the MORNING. Afternoons are quieter and spent at home as nap-/rest-time is sacrosanct. If we have "big" plans (out past lunch), then the rule is that we will be HOME the entire next day. (At Mom's last house, it was 30 min to 1 hour to drive ANYWHERE, so the one-day-in, one-day-out-and-about rule prevailed.

She thinks I'm a goof for it, but she tries to respect the rules. Sure, sometimes we bend them (Christmas Eve/Christmas Day with two different sets of family, for example), but mostly it works for all of us.

I also try to plan ahead for whatever "big" outings are likely. BEFORE her visit (or ours to her), I look at the calendar and make sure I know what, if anything, we or she expect to do, so I can plan the busy vs. lazy days.

Baby calls!

--willo
#323 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 12:23 PM
acp

Funny, my mom's the opposite. Early on, she felt like I was doing too much out and about with Willa, and expecting her to sleep anywhere, with no real routine - I just explained that she did seem to be able to do that (she slept in her wrap or the ergo, far better than she ever napped at home - and long after she refused to nap in the wrap if I was at home and sitting down) and it worked for us. However, as Willa's gotten older, I've actually found my mom's wisdom about respecting her chosen routine to be pretty good. She doesn't have a strict schedule, but she's settled into a more or less predictable routine with 2 (sometimes 3) naps a day, and it's hard if we have to be out and about and cut into those nap times.
A week ago I was dreading a visit to an aunt and uncle that I couldn't get out of, especially since it was going to involve a long-ish drive on the expressway in rush-hour traffic, and Willa HATES the car. In the end, she napped at my aunt's place fine, and did semi-ok in the car, but I just find I'm avoiding longer outings like that if i can. I wanted to get together with two good friends and their kiddos on Friday - my last day of maternity leave - but when they decided to get together a good half-hour drive away, I ended up opting out and just having a mellow day around here with some walks and one-on-one time with Willa. We traveled with her a LOT when she was little, and she did fine, but it also did disrupt her great sleeping a lot. Now I've already canceled one trip because of her, and our next trip is for Thanksgiving. We'll definitely make the trip, but I hope we can do it without too much disruption for her. Christmas is the one I'm really dreading, since we're going to see both to the ILs in WVa and my parents in Colorado, and in WVa I have no clue where she (or we) will sleep. It just seems like a lot of travel.
Today is my first day back at work (and here i am typing on MDC) :
I do love my job, and there are things about working I'm looking forward to - it's just strange to have the first day yet when I won't be spending all day with my girl. At least I'm at home, and can nurse her instead of pump today and see her from time to time. But, I already have my first assignment involving travel - not sure when it'll be, but within the next month or so. Hopefully I can keep it to an overnight trip, but it'll still be hard.
#324 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 01:23 PM

So after my complete meltdown Saturday at 3am : over my supply and frustration with pumping, I now have a "new" PIS (used once by the original owner) and a renewed commitment to pumping for at least 6 months if not more. DH called a friend who had bought his wife the PIS and she didn't like pumping, it had been sitting in a closet for 6 years and he was glad to give it to someone who would use it. After my Playtex Embrace started acting up and blistering my nips and causing me much grief I thought I was going to lose it. DH was supportive and said it's ok she'll start solids soon and at least she got four months of MM. I tried to let myself be ok with that but I felt like a failure and decided I wasn't willing to give up the MM quite yet. So I restarted my fenugreek tablets (which makes us both very gassy), eating oatmeal for breakfast and adding extra pumps to my schedule. This is easier now that I can completely empty in 20 minutes with the PIS intsead of 45 with the Embrace. I am cautiously optimistic that I'll be back up to my regular 30+ ounces per day soon. I think a lot of this was hormonal too, I've noticed my supply drops by 3-6 ounces a day about once a month. No AF yet but I think my body is cycling and it's affecting my supply.

Thanks to all for the kind words, DH tries to be supportive but I've been on the supply merry-go-round for four months and he's getting tired of the monthly hormonal drama.
#325 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 01:35 PM

We've been travelling with DD since she was 5 wks old. She's been on several 4+ hours road trips and does great when we're moving. She hates stop and go traffice and howls. We went on vacation when she was 8 wks old and she got adjusted about 3 days in.

This weekend we had 3 Halloween parties on Saturday and then we went to the Renaissance Faire on Sunday. She got cranky Sat. night bc her teeth were bothering her, but she absolutely loved the Faire. I had her in the wrap face out and she was just drinking it all in. She slept briefly while we were there and napped in the car on the way home. We fed her and got her down around 11pm and she didn't get up until 9:30 this morning when the workmen started pounding and sawing in the house. We're having the windows replaced and currently she's asleep in her crib even with all the racket. I am amazed!

We've been lucky that she has been such an agreeable baby. She sleeps better at night when we have a busy day out and about. I think pumping and bottle feeding has helped cut down on the 4 month sleep issues. She usually wakes up once around 6:45am for some food and then goes back down until 9:30ish. With the bottle she's able to suck down 4-5 ounces in 5 minutes (she's mommy's little milk monster) and get back to experiencing the world.
#326 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 01:41 PM

I'm glad your pumping sessions are going better and yay for you for being committed to pumping for your little one!!

Evan doesn't mind being out and about in public but he hates my mom's house. We've gone 3 times in the past few weeks and he SCREAMS like he's being tortured. Even when DH or I are holding him. I can't figure it out. We've tried keeping things quiet, not letting anyone hold him, going at different times during the day and making sure he's napped but nothing works. It hurts my mom's feelings. Were gonna try having her come over here instead. It is so hard to calm Evan down when he gets worked up at her house and it just isn't worth getting him so upset.

We barely have a schedule, we are always going to some appointment or event. But Evan seems to like napping around 10 am so I try to stick to that. He goes to bed pretty early - around 8:30 pm ish but still wakes up several times to comfort nurse for a few mins. Last night he slept a 4 hour stretch and it was heaven - my secret was I put him closer to DH. I think I am the one keeping him awake at night or he is smelling the milk.

#327 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 01:46 PM

glad to hear that things are looking up addiemom!

so, carina is doing this "coughing thing" and it's kind of freaking me out! it's almost like she's discovered this new sound she can make and she does it all the time. or maybe it's related to the unbelievable amount of drool she's got going on. or maybe she's actually sick. i don't know.

thoughts?
#328 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdInAZ View Post
Yeah, visitors always seem to upset the routine. My kids get sooooo excited that naps seem to be the last thing from their mind. Plus we always go out to eat or do some other *special* thing which adds to the excitement.

But I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, it is a little rough, but things settle down after the guests leave. I say don't worry about any special rules. Just let grandma enjoy the grandkids. But with a the baby, just sling him when he starts to get overwhelmed so he gets some downtime with mama. :
:
nak
I didn't get to read pg 13 yet, but I totally agree with this.
I used to get very stressed with family and the routine being messed up, then I decided Grandma and grandpa need baby time too, I don't want to keep them from the experience, kwim!
I seriously let it stress me thatI just had to let it go, now I am fine with it and always have my sling in tow, ready for down time. It does get easier as they grow though!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#329 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetisadora View Post

so, carina is doing this "coughing thing" and it's kind of freaking me out! it's almost like she's discovered this new sound she can make and she does it all the time. or maybe it's related to the unbelievable amount of drool she's got going on. or maybe she's actually sick. i don't know.

thoughts?
Yep, Evan does a fake cough for attention, it makes me laugh. I watched him from another room one day - he coughs then looks around for me, then coughs louder and looks around, if that fails he lets out a whine followed by a cough. When he sees me coming towards him he smiles I love it, it shows that he's learning cause and effect.

#330 of 361 Old 10-29-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2Bin07 View Post
I am interested in hearing more about this since my parents will be coming to visit over Thanksgiving. What was it about your MIL's visit that messed with Perrin's routine? Just too much "grandma time" and not enough naps? Did you go out alot and were away from home?

I have noticed that after a day or two of running errands or whatever that Little Ron will be sleepy and wanting to nurse a lot the next day. I ran errands with him on Friday, then Saturday we all went out to take some photos outdoors and we were gone for a good part of the day. Then today Little Ron was very sleepy and wanting to nurse a lot, plus he slept long last night and had two decent naps today. I think baby and I will just stay home tomorrow too.
Well it does not seem to be a problem when we go out, Perrin likes to go out and will seem to sleep anywhere...

The issue seems to be when we are at home and there are extra people around. My MIL was here for a week and Mon-Wed we were at home all day while my DH was working. Perrin would not nap for long and he cried WAY more than normal, plus he was super hard to put down at night and started getting up WAY earlier in the morning...
We are thinking it was a couple of things:
1. I am 13 weeks pregnant and easily annoyed, Perrin is really affected by my moods so that did not help.
2. My MIL would not leave P alone for any amount of time and he likes to play on his own for small amounts of time and does not really like being held 27/7.
3. My MIL has "BIG" energy and even if she is quite she is "LOUD" GWIM?

We do not do schedules around here, Perrin gets his needs met when they are just that "needs" and I have no issue when he changes his routine at all, but he was really thrown off by her being her, by my being annoyed with some of the things she was doing/saying(not baby related, she is going through some personal stuff and talks about herself and issues ALL the time)

She is coming back for Thanksgiving with DHs sister and we are going to tell them that they need to stay in a hotel, not sure how they will take it, but we feel it will be the best way to help both Perrin and I deal with having extra company. Our place is VERY small, one bathroom and I do not feel like sharing it right now

On top of all this we are planning to go home for winter holiday : ! We just moved from TX to CO and it may take us 3 days drive one way... I am feeling not so sure about this trip... I will be 5 months pregnant and have a 6 month old baby... Any advice?

Sorry for the novel...

~Steph

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page