June 2007 Moms ~ Welcome to October - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 361 Old 10-21-2007, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Weight---I can't believe some of you ladies are back down to your regular weight, that's soooo not fair. I still have 10 pounds to go but honestly it feels and looks like 20. I actually went and bought a dress the other day and tried on about ten dresses that made me look HUGE.I finally settled on a mini that hides all the bulk that's hanging around my middle but shows off the legs that look half decent. Well that was fun. I'm think I'll stay away from the clothes shopping until my "jelly belly" goes.

Sleeping---I don't remember what it feels like to be well rested. Ds usally wakes up every 1-2 hours at night and will only take 30 minute naps and it's been this way for about 6 weeks now. I reached critical mass the other day and I think ds felt it because that night he gave me two 3 hour stretches! I woke up feeling like a new woman. It's amazing how just a little bit of sleep a person can get by on.

Teething---I sometimes let ds suck on licorice root when he's teething and he loves it! It is a natural analgesic (numbs their gums) and it's not plastic which is great.

Pooping---Ds only has a poo about every 7 days and when he goes it's usually quite large and smelly: He weighs a ton (19 lbs two weeks ago) so I guess he's using it all.

Ds is sooooo much fun these days because he giggles alot. It's quite amazing the love you feel for these little darlings!

Elizabeth, mom to two beautiful boys and wife to my handsome hubby!
#242 of 361 Old 10-21-2007, 10:15 PM

Well, I've been down to my pre-PG weight for a few months. BUT, I was 35lbs overweight with to begin with so it's not really that exciting. My sweettooth has been helping me burn up the extra BFing calories. My plan of losing a lb a week until next July isn't working out too well.

Ian has been SUPER fussy at night. He's fine during the day. I just don't get it. Is teething worse at night? I'm actually going to sleep in the guest room with DS since DH has to get up at 4am for his week long trip. I am just praying that I get some sleep tonight. Everything is driving me nuts b/c I'm so tired.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#243 of 361 Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awallrising View Post
Well, I've been down to my pre-PG weight for a few months. BUT, I was 35lbs overweight with to begin with so it's not really that exciting. My sweettooth has been helping me burn up the extra BFing calories.
Yup. Me too!

Not much to add tonight. DS keeps waking, so I'd better snuggle down with him. He sleeps much better that way. But I want to wait for the diapers to finish washing so I can thow them in the dryer while we sleep. Otherwise, no dipes for the morning. I know you all can relate...

THanks to whoever posted the link about 4 month olds and waking. It made me feel lots better. Good night!

Mom to :, , and :
#244 of 361 Old 10-22-2007, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

I think teething is worse at night. Fewer distractions from the discomfort, plus maybe a physical reason, too. Certainly seems/seemed to bother my two boys more at night.

Baby grumbles--I'd better go "rescue" him from the torture of his bassinet.

--willo
#245 of 361 Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 AM

4 month lack of sleep. When does this one end? My DS is approaching 5 months and there's no sign of it changing any time soon. Ooh, for three connected hours of sleep. Most nights, I'd even be happy with 2 two hour stretches in a row. Ah well, he won't go off to kindergarten still waking up this much, right?
#246 of 361 Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 AM

Evan is usually a horrible sleeper and rarely ever sleeps more than 2-3 hours at a time but last night he slept! We stayed up later than usual because I wanted to watch the Red Sox game, so we went to be at 11 pm. He only woke up twice, this is a huge improvement for him. I can do two night wakings, I could even do 3, it is when we get to 5+ that kills me. I pray that he continues but I'm pretty sure it was just a fluke.

I swear he must be teething, he needs something in his mouth constantly while he is awake. All day long he's biting on his hand, my hand, a blanket, or a bib. DH swears he's gonna get a molar first because he is gnawing with the back of his gums. I'd be shoked to see a molar poke through first, I've heard of kids getting top teeth first but never molars first.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#247 of 361 Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 AM

I can't remember who posted the link to the Kellymom article, but thanks! That was a good one... I may foward that one on to all the people who think I'm crazy for getting up with my LO!
#248 of 361 Old 10-22-2007, 10:34 AM

Jilian- I swear that I see something back by Ian's molar area. The skin is a different color & looks a bit raised. He is constantly gnawing on something. I ordered an inexpensive silicone pacifier/teether that should help him.

Last night was much better. I think he is really affected by stuff in my diet (dairy, etc). Hopefully, I can get a nap in with him today so I will feel somewhat normal.

Ian was actually a July baby, so he's up to a month younger some of the other "June" babies. I feel like he is developing so quickly, doubling birth weight before 3 mths, teething at 3 mths, etc. He barely fits in the bathtub I have for him but he won't be sitting up for a while. Good thing I only paid $5.00 for it.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#249 of 361 Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 AM

I was just wondering if any of you ladies are showering your babies with you? Sev. weeks ago I was running late for an appt. and took DD in the shower with me to speed things up . She loved it and since then we haven't bothered with tub baths.
#250 of 361 Old 10-22-2007, 03:41 PM

i've been lurking for a while, but am losing too much sleep to not post now!

ds was sleeping so well ... and now wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat. i think his sleep is disturbed by us (dh snores LOUD - augh!) and would love to move him in with big sis. she's an extremely light sleeper though (will wake up in the middle of the night, sit up and talk, and never go back to sleep). any suggestions? i
#251 of 361 Old 10-22-2007, 03:55 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiemom'07 View Post
I was just wondering if any of you ladies are showering your babies with you? Sev. weeks ago I was running late for an appt. and took DD in the shower with me to speed things up . She loved it and since then we haven't bothered with tub baths.
I haven't tried it yet, though I might soon... We've been sticking with the tub baths just because DD loves them so much. I borrowed a baby bathtub from a friend, and I think we used it all of two times. instead, either DH or I takes a bath with her every night before bedtime, and it's one of her favorite times of the day. Even if she's been pretty fussy, she starts smiling and giggling as soon as she just hears the water running for the bath.
It doesn't really work as a substitute for a shower for me, though, and I do feel a bit guilty about wasting so much water when she doesn't really need it... in which case the shower might be a good alternative. But all of us love the baths.

Willa's newest thing is sitting up, largely unassisted, in a "tripod" pose - supporting herself with one or two hands in front. She seems to get a big kick out of the fact that she can do it. She's still sleeping well (last night 7:30-6, then back down for another hour) at night - not sure what I did to deserve such a long-sleeping babe, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts (especially since I go back to work in a week). I feel like a different person than I did a few weeks ago. I think teeth may be on their way soon, though, so who knows how long she'll keep it up.

AdinAZ - I definitely relate to the diapers! I can't tell you the number of times I suddenly realize I have to do a load at night or we'll be out by morning - and often end up staying up waiting for them to be dry. I just had to buy a bunch more - we're using mostly pockets and fitteds, and DD has outgrown most of the smalls. I was hoping she'd last in them a little longer than 4 months! But hopefully the mediums will hold out for a lot longer, and we won't have to buy any for a good long time.
#252 of 361 Old 10-22-2007, 04:45 PM

I feel better knowing that we're not the only ones with a babe up at all hours at night! We have friends in the area with babies the same age as DD and I always feel envious/insecure when I hear their babies are sleeping 7 hours at a stretch. Joy was up every 90 minutes last night (ugh), but she had a record nap today (2.75 hours!!!), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that tonight might be better. I wonder if she's having teething issues b/c she's chomping on her hand all the time. I gave her a dose of the homeopathic teething liquid this morning, and I have no idea if that helped her sleep better for her nap, but it's worth a try for us. Big to all the other sleep-deprived mamas out there!

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#253 of 361 Old 10-22-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarissaM View Post
i've been lurking for a while, but am losing too much sleep to not post now!

ds was sleeping so well ... and now wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat. i think his sleep is disturbed by us (dh snores LOUD - augh!) and would love to move him in with big sis. she's an extremely light sleeper though (will wake up in the middle of the night, sit up and talk, and never go back to sleep). any suggestions? i

ClarissaM: read this article that I shared the other day, it really makes a lot of sense as to why our 4 month olds are begining to wake more often at night. So it may not necessarily be you or hubby that are waking him up. http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html
#254 of 361 Old 10-22-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie0603 View Post
I can't remember who posted the link to the Kellymom article, but thanks! That was a good one... I may foward that one on to all the people who think I'm crazy for getting up with my LO!

It was me! Glad you enjoyed it, I know I sure did. And I'm with you, I will share that with anyone who thinks I am "giving in" by getting up with baby several times at night. There is no way I would not get up with him, he obviously needs to eat!!!! I still don't understand where people get the idea that a baby is "manipulating" us. As if their brains even have the capacity to do that?? I don't think so!!
#255 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 AM

Hey gang! Anybody plan on putting together a costume for their little one for Halloween? I'm pretty sure we didn't with dear daughter (she was 5 months old at Halloween 5 years ago -- where does the time go?). But since Dd is going as a mermaid, she thought it strange that I wasn't going to dress ds up too. So I bought them both costumes today, one mermaid and one dragon. They look so cute! Actually, I hate the mermaid costume, but my dd loves it and she is past the age where I get to pick the costume, kwim?

addiemom-- I haven't showered with ds simply because dd loooooooves to bathe with her little brother. But I used to shower with dd when she was a babe. I've never gotten into "tub time". Sitting by the tub while little ones play is beyond boring for me. (DH usually does it) So a quick shower with the baby really appealed to me.

acp -- You're switching over to mediums? You probably got your money's worth out of the smalls actually! Especially if you sell them. We had to switch over to mediums at 2 months.

Wombatclay -- You mentioned that motheringdotcommune gives out family's to help around the holidays. I've got so many little baby clothes, 0 - 6 months, that were barely used and don't fit. How do I get involved? I've been looking around the site and can't find where I need to go.

Happy Fall everyone! My favorite season.

#256 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdInAZ View Post
Hey gang! Anybody plan on putting together a costume for their little one for Halloween? I'm pretty sure we didn't with dear daughter (she was 5 months old at Halloween 5 years ago -- where does the time go?). But since Dd is going as a mermaid, she thought it strange that I wasn't going to dress ds up too. So I bought them both costumes today, one mermaid and one dragon. They look so cute! Actually, I hate the mermaid costume, but my dd loves it and she is past the age where I get to pick the costume, kwim?

acp -- You're switching over to mediums? You probably got your money's worth out of the smalls actually! Especially if you sell them. We had to switch over to mediums at 2 months.
DD1 is going to be a butterfly. DD2 is going to be a ladybug princess (DD1 wore the costume when she was 4yo). DD3 is going to be a bumblebee (DD2 wore this costume when she was a baby). I actually bought a fish costume for Lulu, but she HATED it when I tried it on her so she's going to wear the bee costume since it has no arms and no legs and doesn't seem to bother her.

As for diapers, DD is such a narrow little thing that she's still solidly in smalls. I actually just retired the last of our nb dipes over the weekend. The rise had gotten too short. I hadn't planned on investing much in smalls as DD2 was in mediums by about 2-3 mos old, but I've been buying more of them since it seems like we might need them for a while. Watch she'll have a growth spurt and suddenly they'll all be too small. At least if she follows in the footsteps of my other two we'll get a ton of use out of mediums. DD1 and DD2 were both in mediums when the potty trained.

Oh, and you can add me to the list of mama's with a good sleeper gone bad. Lulu used to sleep so well and now she's up all night nursing. I miss feeling rested and am having a devil of a time getting my work done now. Yawn.

Here's a picture of Lulu from when she turned four months, yesterday.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#257 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 12:52 AM

So, I have a first time mom question about teething. I have some of the homeopathic teething tablets and I'm not sure exactly how to know if DS needs them or not. He constantly is putting his fists or toys in his mouth and is always drooling, so I know the teething is on the way, but I just don't know how to know when to give them to him... I don't want to give them to him if he doesn't need them, KWIM?

Thanks!
#258 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 02:26 AM

Marcy thanks for the great article. It's nice to know whats going on with our sweet little babies.

Momtokay your lulu is sure beautiful.

I haven't been sleeping for about 2 months now and have been relying heavily on caffine. Miracle of all miracles ds had two 1.5 hour naps today after only having 30 minute naps for the last two months.: I am praying that it continues...He even went to bed tonight quite easily and happily. Yipee!

Elizabeth, mom to two beautiful boys and wife to my handsome hubby!
#259 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 11:16 AM

Holiday Helper Thread- it usually starts in November and ends in late December...there's a thread over in "questions" and they're trying to work out the start date and who will be organizing it this year (it's all volunteer and it's A LOT of work for the organizers).

But I'll be adding a link to my sig once it's up and running. Last year they set up a website that mamas could search...anonymous "mamas-in-need" could post their family needs along with their family "story" and then "helper mamas" could search the database to see who needed what they had. Once you found a match you PMd the organizers to get the mailing addy for the family you wanted to help. It worked pretty well!

We made an offer on a house! It's contingent on the sale of this place though so I hope they accept it! Anyway, our current home is ~1600 sq ft PLUS a full basement and full attic. The new house is ~960 sq ft and has NO basement, attic, storage... not even a closet! So I'm going to have to declutter like mad and will have tons of stuff for the holiday helper thread, freecycle, craigslist, and the thrift store.

Halloween- My aunt sent us costumes so Laia will be a dragon and Rowan a duck. They look really cute...I have some photos but the camera batteries are dead so moving them online needs to wait a bit. But I'll add pics when I can!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#260 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarissaM View Post
my kids share a room and i worried about the baby waking ds up as well. we found that he only woke up if she cried within the first hour of him going to sleep so she goes down around 7/7:30 and we've been letting him go to sleep in our bed at 8 and then transferring him back to their room around 10. i use an air purifier for white noise and keep the moniter close to me. so far it's been okay...

last night carina slept so much better! she woke up once at 12:30 and then slept straight through until 5 and then again until 7:30. of course i didn't get to enjoy it because ds got a nosebleed and came into our room crying and covered in blood at 3am : and by the time i had him cleaned up, calmed down and back in bed, i was sure carina would wake up any minute so i just lay in bed awake from 3:30 - 4:30.

then i had a crazy dream about buying chestnuts and waiting in line at a grocery store where the registers were in the ocean and you had to wade out to pay for your stuff and i was wearing a red satin dress :

halloween - ds really wanted to be a power ranger for halloween even though he's only seen the show like 2 times and a friend had an old costume so blue ranger it is. and DP, MIL and SIL went shopping a few weeks ago and came ome with this (IMO)ridiculous baby costume from childrens place. none of them could even tell me what it is supposed to be so i named it the leopard fairy hooker costume i'm thinking she'll be in it for about 5 minutes.
#261 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Mab

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Holiday Helper Thread- it usually starts in November and ends in late December...there's a thread over in "questions" and they're trying to work out the start date and who will be organizing it this year (it's all volunteer and it's A LOT of work for the organizers).

But I'll be adding a link to my sig once it's up and running. Last year they set up a website that mamas could search...anonymous "mamas-in-need" could post their family needs along with their family "story" and then "helper mamas" could search the database to see who needed what they had. Once you found a match you PMd the organizers to get the mailing addy for the family you wanted to help. It worked pretty well!
and the holiday helpers thank you thread is something beautiful :, to see all the generosity really soothes the soul and makes you make peace with life. it shows how mds rocks, and all the grear organization and amazing results of the whole thing is the living proof that mothers rule and should rule the world (and that sally field was right )
#262 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 01:15 PM

Ohhhh Holiday Helpers sounds wonderful... We have loads of stuff that others might be able to use! I will be looking for that link so I can check it out!
#263 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 04:25 PM

jeannie - from my own experience I never gave anything for teething pain unless my babe was in noticeable pain. Meaning, visably upset from pain. I was lucky with DS. His worst moments from teething came with his 2 year molars. Then we had an all out fever explosion that led to a seizure. Scariest moment as a mother! I have heard of some people usuing Hylands teething tablets. First I would try an ice cold wet cloth for the babe to chew on. Watch out for a fever. A runny nose or rash on the cheeks can occur too. I am sure that other moms have more advice as well.

This year DD and DS are going as sheep. I am making the costumes myself do I hope that they turn out cute!

We are almost over our colds thank goodness! What an ordeal... it's been over 2 weeks!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#264 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 PM

Thank you to Marcy for posting that article, I REALLY needed to hear that! DD had me up like fifty million times last night, I have forgotten what if feels like to not be sleep deprived!
Speaking of costumes DS is going to be a dragon, I found a great outfit at a consignment store that I consign at and it only cost me $11. DD will be a pink bear, because I have a pink hat with bear ears and a fuzzy pink coat, so that was easy.

I have joined a co-op pre-school for DS and there are four of us, the other moms are lovely, but very un-granola, if you know what I mean. I was so irritated because the kids were doing fingerpainting today and the other moms were so worried about their kids making a mess, they all said that they don't ever do fingerpaints at home because it makes too much of a MESS!: Give me a break, they are 2.5 of course they are going to make a mess with FINGERPAINTS, thats a GOOD thing! I think they will be a bit put off to come here when I teach, I will most likely have CD hanging to dry and heaven forbid non-noisy wooden toys to play with:
Anyway, I actually am going to start my own co-op preschool, I actually just joined this one to get some ideas and a good idea for a handbook.:

Got top go, DD is snogging my shoulder searching for a nipple.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#265 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
then i had a crazy dream about buying chestnuts and waiting in line at a grocery store where the registers were in the ocean and you had to wade out to pay for your stuff and i was wearing a red satin dress

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#266 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Teething pain -- if you don't know if your kid needs a remedy, your kid probably doesn't need a remedy! My older son handled his teeth better than my younger son. I think we used Tylenol for a few nights for DS#1, but not much else. For A., I've needed to give him homeopathic chamomilla (IMHO, and per my MIL the professional homeopath--it is much better to give a single, carefully selected remedy than to use combo remedies) for teething pain about four times in the past week, and I've ALSO used Tylenol at night because he gets really upset/inconsolable about the pain at nighttime. (Just went to the doctor--no ear or other illnesses seem to be causing the problem.) I can see the bulging of the teeth right under his gums now, so hopefully these two are almost through. Then on with the next 18 baby teeth, right? :

We did get a somewhat better sleep last night--4 hours followed by three sets of 2 hours. Totally do-able. Phew!

A. will wear a frog costume because someone gave it to DS#1 (who wore it for about 5 minutes) and DS#1 insists that A. needs a costume, OF COURSE! DS#1 is going to be a pirate, and I've got his shirt almost finished (just needs cuffs, and he could wear it with ragged cuffs! ), we've dyed the silk sashes (which will be part of this costume, plus favors at his bday party next month, and, if I have time, I'm going to make a little vest so he'll be warmer.

Oops. The big one just woke from his nap and the little one just got tired of the Gymini!

--willo
#267 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 09:47 PM

Photos up... http://www.flickr.com/photos/wombatclay/

We did a "costume aprty picnic" in the living room the other night...we werew supposed to go to a costume party at our UU church but my dad had a panic attack and we had to stay home. Laia was totally set on going to a party though so we bought a pizza, some silly cookies, got dressed up, and ate on the living room floor. She loved it.

#268 of 361 Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 PM

Great photos everyone! I have a bunch on my camera. I need to upload soon...

Teething...yup. I don't feel any teeth yet, but Sean is always yanking my hand into his mouth to chew on. He drooled so much today that his little chin was all red. I don't remember DD#1 teething. One day I noticed she had teeth and it was over! I don't think we are going to be so lucky with Sean, but we'll see.

Still no full rolls, but we did have a 3/4 roll. From his back, he rolled to his side and then twisted his hips and legs all the way to a tummy roll, but his shoulders stayed on the side. It looks like yoga. DD#1 thinks its hilarious, as she does of most things Sean does.

THanks for the holiday helper info Wombatclay. I'll be watching your siggy!

#269 of 361 Old 10-24-2007, 12:19 AM

love the article -- that's definitely us. thanks so much! and after reading ya'll posting about babies teething, i think that's got to be him. not sure why it didn't click with me before (actually, i guess i do, dd didn't get her first tooth till 8mos. and i wasn't even in this frame of mind yet). i'm sure that, plus being hungry at night, has got to be what it is. we had an awesome stretch of 8 hours last night tho, and i felt like a new person today. once in a blue moon is enuf for me right now
#270 of 361 Old 10-24-2007, 02:31 PM

Joseph is going to be Yoda for Christmas. I saw a pattern for a felted Yoda hat and made the mistake of showing it to DH. He's going to wear that with a pair of light brown longies and a side snap shirt. Oh, and supposedly I'm making a light saber. (Also, DH's idea-wonder when he'll learn to knit and sew so he can start helping with these wonderful ideas! ) Ideally this will all be done by Friday so he can wear the costume as much as possible.

Another thanks for the article-I finally got to it last night and it was a much needed pick me up.

Better run. I have a half dressed child wiggling out of his jammies trying to eat the keyboard!

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page